Jamis Durango 1.0 XC Hardtail

4.5/5 (16 Reviews)
Weight : 31.75 lbs MSRP : $449.00

The Durango sharesThe geometry of Jamis legendary hardtail Dragon, "the yardstick for hardtail performance." Its aluminum chassis is responsive andThe componentry is choice.The Durangofeatures a radiused/slopingTopTube and box-sectioned/S-bend downTubeThatTiesThe headTube and bottom bracket into a rigid structure for precise cornering and stand-on-the-pedals response, with a rear endThat putsThat power down with snappy acceleration and cornering control. In other words,The Durango is meantTo be

Submitted by harley.guy07 a Weekend Warrior from springfield,mo,united states

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2011

Strengths:    Very cool looking and functional frame and seems to have the right fit for me. The gear on this bike is really good for the money and it seems to be able to handle anything me or any of my more advanced friends can put it through. Very good all around bike for the money

Weaknesses:    the font derailer does not seem to shift as easy as the rear and not as smooth but is still good. You have to really dial in the dampening on the fork for the right balance.

Bottom Line:
I have looked around and did quite a but of research before picking this bike up and I could not find anything that could touch it at its price point and the frame seems to be good enough to build upon when I get to be a better rider and want to upgrade parts as I see fit.

Favorite Trail:   to many to say

Purchased At:   springfield bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Trek, test road Santa Cruz but too much money for me as a beginner.

Bike Setup:   everything is stock right now

Submitted by Markus326 a Weekend Warrior from West Babylon, NY

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Strengths:    Durable frame, Front forst w/ Lockout is a great feature. The Kenda Komodo tires are good all around.

Weaknesses:    A tiny bit heavier than other bikes in its class. Nothing noticable

Bottom Line:
Best bang for your buck when it comes to a good entry level XC Hardtail. Ive only installed a set of Crank Brothers Candy-C pedals, love the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point

Purchased At:   Adventure Cycles and

Bike Setup:   Crank Brothers Candy-C pedals.

Submitted by ClarkK a Cross Country Rider from Niantic, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2010

Strengths:    Nice frame, rear derailleur, has disc brakes, and is affordable.

Weaknesses:    Front derailleur, bottom bracket.

Bottom Line:
A great bike. Handles rough terrain very well. The bottom bracket broke after about twenty miles of cross country riding. Front fork is kind of bouncy. Would not take on massive drops or anything like that.

Purchased At:   Niantic Bay Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Nishiki Colorodo

Bike Setup:   100% stock

Submitted by HPVSOR a Weekend Warrior from Miami, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2009

Strengths:    Great frame! Great Maxxis tires. Shimano rapidshift is awesome and smooth.

Weaknesses:    Heavy compared to other bikes. But nothing out of this world.

Bottom Line:
I would definitely recommend this bike as a starter. The frame is excellent to build on. For the price, you cannot get a better bike. Similar bikes (with Shimano Alivio shifters and derailleurs, decent fork, Maxxis tires, Manitou Axel fork, and especially Disc breaks!) will run you over $600! I paid less than $500. The bike is great!

Purchased At:   CW Bicycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7000

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by jamis Rider a Downhiller from jacksonville OR

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2009

Strengths:    Great frame, nice disk brakes, tires are good qualities, shifters are good quality and the front fork is just amazing.

Weaknesses:    brakes are really squeaky when wet, and bike grips sometimes are really loose.

Bottom Line:
great bike for its price and pretty much can go where ever you want it to go. It doesnt really matter if your brakes squeak its not like there going to hurt them.

Favorite Trail:   Applegate trail

Purchased At:   cycle analysis

Similar Products Used:   diamond back Response sport.

Bike Setup:   stock everything but new kenda tires and a new front fork

Submitted by TommyEnt a Cross Country Rider from Ladner (Vancouver)

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2008

Strengths:    Extremely versatile; a can-do-anything bike.

Weaknesses:    a little bit heavy

Bottom Line:
I love this bike; I've taken it on trials, I rode it from here to edmonton (1771 Km), and I comute on it everyday- it really can do anything.

Favorite Trail:   stanley park

Purchased At:   Ladner outdoor store

Similar Products Used:   Jamis cross country, Giant Boulder, many 2008 brodie/marin/fuji bikes

Bike Setup:   Drop bars with shamino flight-decks, avid disk brakes, aero wheels with flatened spokes, tom-slick 1.4 tires, brooks saddle, plus custom parts.

Submitted by john paul from davis, ca

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2008

Strengths:    frame is good, fork is good for trails and climbing, shifters are good.tires are good.

Weaknesses:    brakes suck, switched them out for avid bb7 8" discs, hated the flat bar with the long stem, changed it for a 60mm riser. front derailleur cable skips off the derailleur if you shift fast over bumps. fork isn't as smooth as ide like it to be. and its a bit heavy for my liking. hubs are not sealed and are cheap

Bottom Line:
good bike for someone who is just getting into mountain biking, and not racing. good balance point for wheelies.

Purchased At:   b and l bike shop

Submitted by Russell Whitten a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque,Nm

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2007

Strengths:    It looks cool and the forks are descent but if you do any hard trails with dips or rythms be prepaired to replace forks and prepare to invest in new rims.

Weaknesses:    Rims are a little weak i had to get my trued because of a couple bumps.

Bottom Line:
A great looking bike which is what you pay for. If you like to push this bike it has a good frame and descent shifters but be prepaired to replace,replace replace.But It is a geat frame to build on.
I would not recomend buying this bike at Fat tire Inc. in Albuquerque ,New Mexico. PERIOD .If you have questions Email Me.

Favorite Trail:   foothills of the Nm mountains

Purchased At:   Fat tire Inc

Similar Products Used:   Na

Bike Setup:   Stock but already prepaired to put in Fox or Maniteau forks.,

Submitted by Ed Ten Eyck a Cross Country Rider from Fairfax VA USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2007

Strengths:    The bike is by far the best for the price. I would have paid more to get a bike this good.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I would have bought the 07 if this one wasn't sitting on the floor. Great bike, would suggest this bike/company to anyone

Favorite Trail:   fountain head

Purchased At:   Wayne and Meltzers

Similar Products Used:   GT avalanche 2.0

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Rich from Rochester NY

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2007

Strengths:    Very Versatile Bike, Strong yet light. Love the Color, the shifters, the brakes, the geometry.

Weaknesses:    Brakes squeek when wet, and gripers are slippery when my hands get wet (I don't wear gloves though)

Bottom Line:
Super bike! Love it, have no major issues with it. Would recomend it to anyone who wants a comfortable ride that can go anywhere and do it all. I didn't want to spend as much as I did, but it could have been alot worse, and I got a TON of bike for the money. Great overall package!

Purchased At:   Sugars Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Tried Raleigh Mojave 5.0 Thought it was 6 of one, half dozen the other between the Raleigh and Jamis, Now am glad I got the Jamis

Bike Setup:   Stock setup with sweet tires-

Submitted by shayne p a Downhiller from Ma

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2007

Strengths:    light frame, great shifters, nice cranks, good suspension, nice disc wheels

Weaknesses:    the pedals are to small for me but thats it

Bottom Line:
is the bike is great for all purposes strong bike with good components. i do everything and the bike has not showed any weaknesses great bike.

Favorite Trail:   the shipyard

Purchased At:   seriuose cycles

Bike Setup:   jamis durango 1.0 with DH tubes and maxxis minoins

Submitted by shayne pyle a Downhiller from compton

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2007

Strengths:    the frame is light and strong the shifters are great the shock has great travel and is great for what i do. i also love the rims and disc brakes there great and light.

Weaknesses:    i havent really found any wet.

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is this bike is great and is a very solid bike that looks great.

Favorite Trail:   crazy rocks

Submitted by Chase Wesley a Racer from Lubbock, Tx

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2006

Strengths:    The schimano shifters are very smooth, and the fork is great. I love the disc brakes, will never go back to v-brakes after this. Light, easy to carry up stairs. tough bike.

Weaknesses:    Right now I havn't found any and that has been bugging me because i've never had a bike like this before. Though i think the tires i started off with, Hutchinson Scorpion seemed to be to weak, I will more than likly change my tires by christmas, but other than that its great. With the disc brakes if you put a lot of mechanical pressure on than just like a car it will give that loud screech sound that annoys me, but thats what disc brakes do.

Bottom Line:
Its a great bike for starting out in going cross country, or racing. It is also an awesome deal for the money. I can pick up some great speed. Havn't found a race course to try it out on but I have been going fast at times. I love the wheels, WTB Speed disc.

Favorite Trail:   Any where i can go fast

Purchased At:   Broadway Bikes

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Durango 1.0

Submitted by Kyle smith a Weekend Warrior from vernon, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2006

Strengths:    -this is an update of my last review.

1. THe frame is annodized, it looks awesome.
2. The frame is aluminum and very light but also very strong.
3. very nice, light wieght wheels and tires
4. brakes are super strong for cable actuated
5. good for wheelies :)
6. guy at work said "hey, the dishwasher has a cool bike"

Weaknesses:    1. fork, it bottoms out too easy for my use
2. frame is annodized, it can scratch easy and its hard to fix the scratches
3. thats it

Bottom Line:
this bike is great. i love it all accept the fork is too soft for my use also it has too much flex when using the brakes. everything is perfect for more liesurely riders but i like to get a little crazy so im planning on changing the fork.i give it four chillis for the fork.

Purchased At:   the bycicle