Jamis Dragon XC Hardtail

4.78/5 (45 Reviews)
Weight : 25.00 lbs MSRP : $549.99

The Jamis Dragon is one of our most storied, revered chassis. Always steel, with its incredibly resilient ride. Always fast, with our superblyTuned geometryThat maximizesTraction and handling.This isThe rigThat built our reputation in mountain biking's early years. And it's a legendThat's still going strong. Geometry: SIZE CENTER of BBToTOP ofTT EFFECTIVETT LENGTH HT ANGLE ST ANGLE CHAINSTAY WHEELBASE FORK RAKE BB

Submitted by Pakman8u a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2014

Strengths:    slack trail geometry hardtail bike, begs to ridden hard, every component is workhorse quality, steel

Weaknesses:    Heavy, the rockshox xc30 is not good, Seat needs swapping right away

Bottom Line:
I got the 2014 650b comp bike. I'm a fast roadie with some good and fast cylco-cross background (I ride the cross bike on legitimate mtn bike trails). I was looking for my first mountain bike in the colorado front range. I had no intentions for XC racing so I wanted a bike for pure fun potential. I did my research and knew what I knew wanted.

650b-I'm not a tall rider or an fast xc specialist
120mm+ suspension- might as well
69 degree or slacker HT- this is the 21st century (isn't?)
a workhorse bike- never in over its head, and never overkill (gonna be lifelong bike)
preferably steel- I'm still gonna ride hard, and don't want to be beat up for it
Hardtail- cheaper, the legs are the best suspension system anyways

when you research enough you'll surprisingly find plenty of bikes like this, but none with the history of Dragon.

I love this bike, not like a dream bike but like a brother. It'll beat you up from time to time, but in return you beat the hell out of it because its just begging for it (and deserves it to). This is not fast bike it's too heavy, so if you care about results look else where now. This bike will reward those who hull it's poor ass over the mountain and challenge you to a friendly race back down.

with the exception of the fork this is the best spec'd bike for the money, Deore through out, ritchey cockpit. nothing needs upgrading, but any future investments will be well rewarded. The fork does suck but at least your not stuck with paying an half-ass product that thinks it good. It'll be hard to find a replacement for it though because it's a straight 1 1/8" steer tube (not too many 650b straight steer tube forks on the market). But hopefully the market fixes that in the future.

buts it heavy, Harden up. it's pretty easy to find where to hack off 3 pounds (seat, cockpit, fork, tires, cassette...).
get it if-
-you have pulse
-you like fun
-this is your first bike
-you believe bike should last a lifetime
-want a bike that doesn't need upgrading right away

Don't get it if-
-you're a xc racer who cares about results
-you can afford to buy the race model
-you already own one

Similar Products Used:   I did test ride the race 29er version, it's definitely the better bike (frame and parts) but the 650b version is more fun (possibly slower depending on trails). The steel feels better in the race version and the tapered fork is nice, but if your budget doesn't allow for the higher end model don't feel bad.
If want dual purpose for racing go for the 29er, but if you care more about fun stick to 650b.

Bike Setup:   17" frame- 5'9" 140 lbs rider

Submitted by larryc a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2012

Strengths:    every aspect-strong rear forged dropouts,exc. welds,fit-finish top shelf.

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
sub 23lbs. w/out pedals."point & shoot" is a good description of what this machine is like.vintage 1998 & rides like a dream.best rider thus far.if you can find one your size try it/well worth the time.

Favorite Trail:   all

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   C.L.

Similar Products Used:   spec. S-works-stumpjumpers-hardrocks,GT hardtails,softtails,etc.

Bike Setup:   xtr-xt,SID hydroair 100mm.

Submitted by cyclist01 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff,Light weight (for a steel bike)..Jusdt great all around bike

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Before you buy another hardtail go out and test ride a dragon pro....You will be hooked

Purchased At:   Springfield bicycle

Bike Setup:   Dragon pro,full xtr,reba team and easton xc one wheelset

Submitted by ry a Cross Country Rider from New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2011

Strengths:    The frame is unbelievable. climbs like a champ, handles like a Ferrari

Weaknesses:    The Paint

Bottom Line:
I bought the frame and fork, robbed most of the parts off my GT Zaskar, Much Happier now!!!

Favorite Trail:   Any with dirt

Similar Products Used:   old school Giant ATX,

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Chris King, Thompson Stem and Seatpost, Cheeped out, Mavic Cross Ride wheels,(they hold up pretty good) Fox 100 RLC

Submitted by unluckey_underdog a Cross Country Rider from pine bluff arkansas

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2011

Strengths:    this bike is awesome

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
very good for the rolling hills i ride around here.

Favorite Trail:   the tram

Purchased At:   tony's radical sport

Submitted by juan a Cross Country Rider from Chapel Hill

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2010

Strengths:    great ride, it just feels right! It ebs and flows with you and is fast as hell.

Reynolds 853 tubes. It just feels right...

Weaknesses:    Avids are on/off. need to upgrade but they work.
The seat post clamp is a bit weak.

Bottom Line:
I currently have 3 mountain bikes, and the Jamis is my favorite ride, I love my other bikes but the Jamis makes me a better rider.

I can see myself riding this bike in 15 years. Its timeless.

Its not for everyone but if your in the market for Steal this is by far one sweet ride.

Favorite Trail:   Carolina North

Similar Products Used:   Steal GT (15 years ago), Giant NRS air, Haro SS, Giant Reign, Zion SS, a road bike, a Cyclocross, and a 1965 frejus SS

Submitted by agefighter a Weekend Warrior from Pennington, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2010

Strengths:    The 26" Dragon Pro is about as nimble as a bike can get. You just point and shoot and the bike responds. Those of you who ride steel know what I am talking about and those of you who don't, rent or borrow one before you purchase your next bike. You owe it to yourself.

Weaknesses:    I have been riding jamis steel frames for 20 years and have never had a problem. My prior hardtail was a 1997 Jamis Dakota.

Bottom Line:
I have been mountain biking for 25 years and have seen so many different variations of the mountain bike. Some successful, some not. I have 2 bikes that cover all my trail riding needs. My 2006 Specialized Enduro covers my really technical, super rocky trail riding needs and my 2010 Jamis Team Pro handles all the rest. The Dragon is a classic and does what its designed to do without flaw. I must repeat what many others have said in these reviews. Forget all the crap manufacturers keep coming out with to get you to spend more money every year. The Dragon steel frame has worked for years without major change. Why mess with perfection!

Favorite Trail:   Stephens

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   1997 Jamis Dakota

Bike Setup:   Mavic 717XC hoops, Hayes Hydraulic 6" brakes, Shimano XT group all around, FSA cranks.

Submitted by Mr. Holmes a Cross Country Rider from Upstate New York

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2010

Strengths:    Great steel frame, nice components, good ride, well worth the money.

Weaknesses:    heavy, but not abnormally so.
From what I've heard, the Hayes Sole brakes don't have good stopping power. However, I weigh 140 lbs and haven't really noticed. I've used brakes that have better stopping power, but I can lock both wheels with relative ease when I want to (for stoppies and rear wheel brake slides).

Bottom Line:
Great bike. I've had a blast on it. I'm still thinking of a name for it.... tough decisions..
Anyway, I love the Reynolds 631 steel frame. I've ridden other aluminum frames and the ride quality just is not the same.
The shimano Derailleurs work well and the LX shifters... well, shift smoothly and have a quality feel. They can be pushed or pulled to change gears, which I find fun.
The brakes aren't as good as many people would like them to be. I haven't had any problems in particular with the Hayes Sole Hydraulic brakes, but it's true that they aren't overly powerful. I might switch them out for some Avid BB7s at some point. I'm not in a huge hurry, however.
Other than personal, ergonomic modifications, e.g. handlebars, stem, more adjustable seat post, and bar ends, I might consider upgrading to a nicer set of rims. Again, I haven't had any trouble with the stock rims, and I haven't babied them, but they are heavy.

The Dragon comp is for those people looking for a comfortable, steel frame trail bike who may, at some point, want to upgrade components and make the bike their own. That is not necessary though. I've had a lot of fun on this bike and I have only recently started buying aftermarket parts for it.

All in all, a great bike for the price. I've always loved Jamis products and the Dragon Comp has never let me down. Thanks for listening!

Purchased At:   Action Sports

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Cross Country
Raleigh Mojave
Jamis Durango 1

Bike Setup:   After market mods:
Easton EA70 monkeybars 30mm rise, Ritchey Wcs-Sl Bar Ends, Easton EA50 stem, Easton EA70 seatpost with 2 bolts for adjustment. Lizard Skin chain stay protector, Shimano pedals, Shimano LX crank set, Cateye Enduro 8 computer

Submitted by fauxpas a Cross Country Rider from Walnut Creek, Ca

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2010

Strengths:    Hardtail=Great climber; Reynolds 853 Steel=Great ride!
The Dragon Pro has been around for many years, and it's always been an awesome bike. It offers a lot of bike for not a lot of money, and the build quality of the frame is excellent!

Weaknesses:    Not as light as some carbon or alloy frames, but it's not far from them! I've been told 4.2 lbs for 17" frame...not bad, for steel!

Bottom Line:
If you've never ridden a steel (NICE steel!) bike before, you owe it to yourself to try it! Stiff for climbs and lightning fast accelerations, yet it has minimal vibration and a very forgiving and comfortable ride. For some situations: Steel IS Real!
Highly Recommended!

Favorite Trail:   I like variety

Price Paid:    $2050.00

Purchased At:   Sports Basement

Similar Products Used:   1998 GT Psyclone, also Reynolds 853 (21.5 lbs)
STOLEN 2 months ago with my Titus Racer-X....Grrrrr!!! I hate thieves!!

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock. Added CK headset, Easton Monkeylite bars and stem, Lizard skin grips, Candy SL pedals, Thomson Elite seatpost. Can't decide on which wheels I want yet!

Submitted by Jonny a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2009

Strengths:    Good Climber and Handling

Weaknesses:    Paint Chips easily but not a big deal.

Bottom Line:
This is just an amazing frame. It really is a great riding frame. Much less vibration than alum hard tails. Seems like you get a lot more power to the ground on each pedal stroke, maybe thats why these frames climb so well. The handling is really predictable, you can climb hills and just point the bike where you want it to go. I put on a heavy suspension seatpost and 31.8 stem downhill bar set up and my bike is a little heavier, but it still climbs just incredible and absolutely flies downhill. Mountain biking is just a better sport with a frame like this.

Favorite Trail:   Logger

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Komodo, Schwinn Home Grown Hard tail, Jamis Dakar

Bike Setup:   XTR XT Mix, Bomber MXR Fork, Avid 7, etc....

Submitted by 853steel a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2009

Strengths:    The geometry is spot on, Long top tube for 15".

Weaknesses:    I'd like to see thec able housing under top tube, other than that, NADA.

Bottom Line:
853 steel + Light tubeless wheels! A bonified XC machine, the ride is fast and light, climbs beautifully, makes you look forward to hills. This thing takes bumps like they're barely there, and corners like it's on rails. I love catching up to FS bikes and smoking them on climbs.

Favorite Trail:   White Water Rafting Center

Purchased At:   I think JensonUsa

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7000 aluminum frame, Specialized Stumpjumper chromoly.

Bike Setup:   Bontrager Race Lite with stan's and non UST tires (lighter). Rock Shox Sid Team, Egg beaters,Easton Monkeylite Sl, Thompson Elite post, and still using V-brakes (Avid Ti Sl).

Submitted by drifty a Cross Country Rider from Hawkes Bay, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2009

Strengths:    2009 Dragon Pro.
Anyone who buys a bike like this already knows it's strengths. One of the only mainstream steel bike left. Not super light but such a smooth ride that you need to experience to appreciate. Like the new design and paint, different from the usual black/white/grey/silver combinations out there, looks way better in real life than in the catalogue.

Weaknesses:    Standard Juicy 3's are very average, squeal like pigs and look cheap. Best to swap them if you have the chance. Wheels are ok and do the job. Get a lighter set for events.

Bottom Line:
Go and get one, you know you want to. Don't listen to your friends, they are only jealous. Best hardtail you will buy!

Purchased At:   Cranked Cycles, Napi

Bike Setup:   Standard 09 spec. Swapped brakes to Formula Oro K24. ODI grips.

Submitted by jim_pup a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2008

Strengths:    Good deal on a "steel is real" hardtail bike. Great grip, good component set - although trying my hardest to get things broken so I can get on the upgrade train. Shimano components (transmission) have been faultless, despite being midrange.

Weaknesses:    Chrome and Black paint job makes it look a bit like a supermarket bike. Beware buying bikes from the internet. Even though this came with 'professional setup', it arrived with neither disc brake working (leaks, kinks in hoses), a small ding in the frame, front tire instaled wrong way round, rear deraileur needing adjustment. Jenson did provide a credit and my LBS made good on adjustments, but I couldn't ride the thing out of the crate. Feels very heavy, but somehow it just loves going up hills. Rear wheel needed some truing after first few rides (which I discovered after reviewing the wheelset on MTBR.com)

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike to mix up mountain biking with the road biking and fixed wheel commuting I do on a more regular basis. I am comfortable tinkering with them to keep them on the road so didn't mind the initial hastles and subsequent truing. This bike suits someone who likes steel and doesn't care for the additional complexity of dual suspension rigs. I would think hard about getting the upgraded Dragon Pro, as it has the bits I'm already thinking about getting for my comp. At the end of the day, you really can't beat $850 for a rig that will do serious mountain bike courses.

Favorite Trail:   Charlotte Whitewater Center

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000 with XT components, which felt tons lighter, but suffered a bent frame in a harsh tumble.

Bike Setup:   I changed the stock flat handlebar for a wider raised Bontranger Crowbar as well as the grips for fatter Race Face grips, both off the old bike. Transformed the handling and my confidence in the bike.

Submitted by jamisVermont a Racer from Vermont

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2008

Strengths:    Climbs effortlessly, 853 steel is lively, responsive and forgiving, smooth ride, handles very well, acceleration is impressive. Reliability and durability, in 2000 miles, mostly offroad, I have never need repairs.

Weaknesses:    Everyone on the trails looks at my sexy bike and wants to know about it! Other than that, nothing bad to say about the bike.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike on sale, right before the 2007 came out. Originally $2200 down to $1470. It was spec'ed well from Jamis, but being a weight weenie, I have replaced a lot of parts as I found deals. I did race the bike stock when I first got it and it performed very well, but upgrading parts and the bike gets even faster.

Jamis builds great bikes. I have put this bike through a lot. I sold my full suspension rig last year so this bike has been on some rough trails lately. I only weigh 140lbs so I don't feel too bad taking it off small drops, nothing over 5 feet though since I still need it for races.

I have never needed to repair anything on this bike. It has been involved in 3 serious crashes, and a few minor ones, with no damage aside from minor scratches.

If you are in the market for an XC hardtail, the Dragon Pro is worth looking at. It rides great stock and if you want to build it into a race machine, you won't be disappointed.

Purchased At:   Alpine Shop Middlebu

Similar Products Used:   None that come close.

Bike Setup:   2006 Jamis Dragon Pro
Syntace F99 stem
CrankBros Cobalt C headset w/carbon spacers
Titec Pluto Carbon seatpost
Selle Italia Flite w/titanium rails
XT derailleurs front and rear
KCNC pulleys
Truvativ crankset
FSA MegaExo bottom bracket
Crankbros Eggbeaters
XTR cassette
YBN 901-ti chain (gold)
Panaracer Razer tires
Panaracer Greenlite tubes
Titanium bolts for the stem, and brakes

Submitted by htmusick a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa, OK

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2008

Strengths:    Can't beat the off-the-shelf value or the sweet feel of steel! The bike is nimble and supple, but doesn't compromise stroke efficiency (kinda like Ti without the price). Very, very responsive - be careful if you're coming off an old beater like I did - it will buck ya. Components are high-end enough that you really don't need to upgrade unless you just want to (or you really think cutting a half a pound is going to make you any faster - just a hint, it won't!).

Weaknesses:    The paint does seem to chip rather easily, so I would maybe suggest that Jamis start powder coating this frame. Also the Juicy Three's have faded quickly on mine - maybe it was just the pads, but I swapped 'em out anyway.

Bottom Line:
Unless you're going custom, this bike is the real deal. During the week I lock out the forks and slap on some semi-slicks and tear up the pavement. On the weekends I put on the knobbies and head for the trails. This bike can do both without flinching!

Favorite Trail:   Turkey Mountain

Purchased At:   Springfield Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   None, I came from an old aluminum hardtail, but considered the Voodoo Bizango, Gunnar Rockhound, and Salsa Ala Carte.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock - dropped in a new SRAM PG-990 11-32 cassette, a matching SRAM PC-991 chain, two King Cage Ti bottle cages, some new Avid Juicy Seven's (sweet!) and got the dealer to install some Crank Bros. Eggbeater SL's instead of the stock Candy C's.

Dragon with Fat Tires

What's the biggest tire folks have tried with the current Dragon Frame geometry. Curious to build up something like a Instigator 2.0 and wondering how large of a diameter tire you guys have gotten onto it.Read More »

2013 Jamis Dragon 650 Sport vs 2011 Moto Fantom Pro

Hey guys, I was looking for some help. I have had an eye on a Jamis Dragon 650 Sport that has recently gone on sale at LBS ($950). It rides great, though I am not sure if I want a 650. I have a 29er currently and don't have any confidence on it. I felt alot better on 26ers. So I also started ... Read More »

Tokul 4130 or Jamis Dragon Sport

Which one is the better bike. Has anybody ridden both of these?Read More »

Jamis Dragon 650b sizing

Hey all, Anyone riding a Dragon ? I've got a shot at a 19" 2013 but it's an hour drive from me. I'm 5' 11" with 33" inseam. Top tube measurement looks good but i need some stand over. Jamis lists it at 32.68" just don't want to drive an hour to find out its too big. Any info would be ap ... Read More »

Dragon Pro 26 seatpost clamp