Jamis Dragon Team XC Hardtail

4.88/5 (24 Reviews)
Weight : 24 lbs. MSRP : $549.99

The Jamis Dragon is a steel monster.The Dragon usesThe very best steel, Reynolds 853 air hardenedTubingThat is “activated” by weld heat. In other words,The steel gets harder inThe weld zones.This is highly beneficial because frames often fatigue inThe weld areas. Jamis didn't stopThere.They dialed inThe geometry onThis frame. You will surely be impressed withThe wayThis bike handles on your localTrail.

Submitted by ry a Cross Country Rider from New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2011

Strengths:    The frame is unbelievable. climbs like a champ, handles like a Ferrari

Weaknesses:    The Paint

Bottom Line:
I bought the frame and fork, robbed most of the parts off my GT Zaskar, Much Happier now!!!

Favorite Trail:   Any with dirt

Similar Products Used:   old school Giant ATX,

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Chris King, Thompson Stem and Seatpost, Cheeped out, Mavic Cross Ride wheels,(they hold up pretty good) Fox 100 RLC

Submitted by unluckey_underdog a Cross Country Rider from pine bluff arkansas

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2011

Strengths:    this bike is awesome

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
very good for the rolling hills i ride around here.

Favorite Trail:   the tram

Purchased At:   tony's radical sport

Submitted by Jonny a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2009

Strengths:    Good Climber and Handling

Weaknesses:    Paint Chips easily but not a big deal.

Bottom Line:
This is just an amazing frame. It really is a great riding frame. Much less vibration than alum hard tails. Seems like you get a lot more power to the ground on each pedal stroke, maybe thats why these frames climb so well. The handling is really predictable, you can climb hills and just point the bike where you want it to go. I put on a heavy suspension seatpost and 31.8 stem downhill bar set up and my bike is a little heavier, but it still climbs just incredible and absolutely flies downhill. Mountain biking is just a better sport with a frame like this.

Favorite Trail:   Logger

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Komodo, Schwinn Home Grown Hard tail, Jamis Dakar

Bike Setup:   XTR XT Mix, Bomber MXR Fork, Avid 7, etc....

Submitted by 853steel a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2009

Strengths:    The geometry is spot on, Long top tube for 15".

Weaknesses:    I'd like to see thec able housing under top tube, other than that, NADA.

Bottom Line:
853 steel + Light tubeless wheels! A bonified XC machine, the ride is fast and light, climbs beautifully, makes you look forward to hills. This thing takes bumps like they're barely there, and corners like it's on rails. I love catching up to FS bikes and smoking them on climbs.

Favorite Trail:   White Water Rafting Center

Purchased At:   I think JensonUsa

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7000 aluminum frame, Specialized Stumpjumper chromoly.

Bike Setup:   Bontrager Race Lite with stan's and non UST tires (lighter). Rock Shox Sid Team, Egg beaters,Easton Monkeylite Sl, Thompson Elite post, and still using V-brakes (Avid Ti Sl).

Submitted by jody a Cross Country Rider from columbus, oh

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2008

Strengths:    This bike is the whole package for XC. The XTR groupo with the Fox F100RLC fork offer top performance. Such a smooth ride that handles a wide variety of terrain. Ride tubeless with the steel frame and you won't regret it. This bike ascends/descends like no other. Great bike!

Weaknesses:    paint chips off frame and dropouts too easy. A better finish would be nice.

Bottom Line:
The Bottom line - this bike is SICK. I've been XC riding for about ten years and I highly recommend riding 853 chromoly. This bike does it all for XC. Hats off to Jamis.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hope

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Giant, Schwinn, Trek models, Airborne Lucky Strike Ti

Bike Setup:   XTR w/ Crossmax SLR wheelset. 2007 DEMO bike

Submitted by Tom Stephens from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2007

Strengths:    I purchased the 2006 Dragon Team at the beginning of the 2007 summer season after a very unhappy season on a new full suspension bike. I just could not tolerate the inefficiency of the full suspension. The tubeless tires, steel frame and softer saddle makes this bike tremendously enjoyable to ride. This bike is more stable and secure than my full suspension (since sold)on the downhill with a huge advantage in climbing efficiency.

Weaknesses:    Paint on frame chips too easily. The Truvativ carbon cranks were defective, having come loose twice. Truvativ replaced one crank and it appears to be staying tight.

Bottom Line:
My biking friend (all middle aged) all ride full suspensions. I rave to these guys about the smoothness, preciseness of handling and climbing ability of this bike. It is simply not true that older mountain bikers must use a full suspension in order to reduce the impact and wear and tear on the body. A steel frame hardtail, especially one with high end components and tubeless tires, performs the same function with a great improvement in efficiency and preciseness in handling.

Favorite Trail:   Spiro

Similar Products Used:   Specialized StumpJumper hard tail used for a number of years and a Specialized FSR used one year and now sold.

Bike Setup:   Top of the line components throughout

Submitted by Cam Lam a Cross Country Rider from Christchurch New Zealand

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2007

Strengths:    Bike bike handles like a dream! Fast on the climbs, smooth in the single track and rocks on the downhill!

Weaknesses:    N

Bottom Line:
This is an amazing bike. I love it. I never thought I would ride steel again after my early road bikes. I was offered this at a fantastic price and have never looked back!! I was Pro on the road and lack a lot on the mountain bike, yet this makes me look good! It is fast and handles like a dream. I know what makes a bike feel good and this goes beyond that! It had that X factor that make a bike stand out! I when I update it will be for another Dragon! Every time I ride it I fall in love with it again! This is a real cross country bike. The skinny tubes has a look you will like or not. If your wanting a bike for cross country hacking or racing then look at the Dragons. The steel offers performance and comfort, without making it weak. If you want a light bike you can enjoy for years and not have to replace it then look at a Dragon. Jamis has been making the Dragon since 1993, so they have got it right or it wouldn't be still on the market!

Favorite Trail:   Port Hills

Purchased At:   Cycle Workz Christchurch

Similar Products Used:   Sworks bikes, Avanti Team

Bike Setup:   Dragon Pro Frame (same as team) Full XTR, DT 1450 Wheels, Easton carbon bar and seatpost. Flite carbon seat. Fox RLC fork.

Submitted by Myron a Cross Country Rider from Issaquah, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2007

Strengths:    Light, quick, nimble, climbs like a goat!

Weaknesses:    None for an XC bike!

Bottom Line:
I bought this primarily for riding gravel or forest roads, epic riding, and some occasional trail riding. I'm impressed with the speed and agility of this bike. Since it is an 853 chromoly frame, it is a stiff, yet absorbs vibration. Highly recommended for XC!

Favorite Trail:   East Tiger Mountain

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakota XC

Bike Setup:   FOX F100 RLC, Chris King Hubs, Shimano XT Crank, Bottom Bracket, and Front Derailleur, SRAM X.9 Shifters, Rear Derailleur, and 971 Chain, Shimano XTR Cassette.

Submitted by KEMP MORRIS a Cross Country Rider from SUFFOLK,VA USA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2007

Strengths:    great bike for steel light, comparable to low end titanium frames

Weaknesses:    still doesnt have the zing of nice titanium 3.2 or 6.4, my 94 Kona HEI HEI 3.2 ti hardtail felt livelier and just as comfortable... than the 07 steel Jamis

Bottom Line:
similar geometry to the kona hots made by tom teesdale in the mid nineties... nice steel bike...very impressive weight... great budget bike that is just as raceable as any 6k bike....Seems as the original frame material has made a definitive comeback. If you do not have the money for an IF or Seven custom Ti..or other higher end Ti frame, this bike is IT.

Purchased At:   happy trails

Similar Products Used:   Kona HOT 94 95, Kona HEI HEI...3.2 ti hardtail 94, jamis dakar 07, seven sola 04

Bike Setup:   all xtr..component group is ssssssswwwwweeeeeeeeet

Submitted by Jason Smith a Cross Country Rider from Layton UT USA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2007

Strengths:    Climbs like a rocket ship, light, compliant design, steel durability!!!

Weaknesses:    Costs a third what a similar handling titanium frame would cost you...

Bottom Line:
I thought I'd add this as a testament to the durability of this frame, mine is a '98 model but it is still the exact same frame as the '07 model (sans disk mounts). The bike was built around the frame which was from a racing sponsorship so I can't really comment on either the price or the full bike. After 9 years of use/abuse including 4 racing the bike still rides like the day it was assembled. I've never ridden a bike that accelerates uphill like this one while still being buttery smooth over almost any surface and unlike aluminum the 853 steel will last as long as you care to ride the same frame.I'd easily suggest this frame to anyone who loves the feel of a light steel frame that flexes just enough in all the right places and screams to climb. In fact that is why I still have a 9 year-old bike, I haven't found anything that feels as good other than a newer Dragon. If you absolutely must overpay on a similar titanium frame that weighs the same and rides like a wet noodle then this just isn't for you...

Bike Setup:   XTR group, Titec stem & handlebar, custom titanium laced Sun/Ringle 0°lite wheelset, Manitou SX Ti fork (old school)

Submitted by Matt Vaughan a Racer from Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2007

Strengths:    Highly responsive, Reynolds 853 chromoly is strong and stiff.

Weaknesses:    Too much paint on the frame - Unnecessary extra weight

Bottom Line:
A highly responsive weapon, it puts in where it counts. The stiffness of the 853 chromoly is comforting however it is still flexy enough to absorb some of the bumps and mistakes you make with rider fatigue. With some modifications (or decent pedals) it is easy to make this a sub 11kg bike which attacks everything with ease. The XTR groupset is everything you'd expect, and the Crossmax SLR's are strong enough to take a beating, yet light enough to climb. Although this bike is suited for shorter rides (sub 100km) it still tackles the endurance ride comfortably for the rider that wants to win. Probably not the best bike suited for a weekend warrior that would go riding once a fortnight for a leisurely 10km, but if you like the feel of lactic acid, this bike is perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Darkes Forest

Purchased At:   The Treadly Shed

Similar Products Used:   GT Zaskar Pro
Trek 8500
Trek 6700

Submitted by Bob a Racer from Greene, New York State

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2007

Strengths:    Every thing. At first the steel doesn't seem very good. But I was wrong. It's great! It Is very fast. I have the 2007 model with full XTR.

Weaknesses:    Nothing really.

Bottom Line:
When I first got this bike I was worried that I might not like a steel hardtail. But I was wrong. I got the 07 model and it has full XTR, weighs only 22.5 lbs (according to the website) and cost a amazing 3,900 (msrp, but no one pays msrp). Unbelievable bike for such a cheap price. You must try this bike! Its amazing!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Caffeine 2.

Bike Setup:   Completely stock except a sorter stem.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Cincinnati

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2006

Strengths:    Reynolds steel frame, great geometry, good descender for a hard tail, handles well on the trail. Steel will stay strong, longer.

Bottom Line:
I bought this as a frame only from a local bike shop, and took all the parts off of my F/S frame. So far this bike has been a blast. Very fast on the trails, and climbs so well. Descending is suprisingly good with little vibration, so you won't miss your F/S as long as you are not on a downhill course. The bike handles really well when weaving through fast terrian and turns, and gives you confidence to ride harder. If you want to feel good about your next hard tail purchase, consider steel and consider the Jamis Dragon.

Favorite Trail:   East Fork Lake

Bike Setup:   XT disc/ryhnolite wheels, Rock Shox Psylo xc fork, XT Cranks, XTR Derailers, Titec bars/seatpost, azonic stem/pedals, shimano disc brakes, shimano xt shifters, sram levers, maxxis tires.

Submitted by Andrew a Racer from Milwaukee, WI

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2005

Strengths:    Light, Responsive, Quick. I have a Trek Top Fuel 110 as well. This bike is my favorite, so fast. This bike is completely stock. The frame is stiff, especially for a rider who wieghs 200#. This bike wieghs a little over 24# stock. The shock absorbs everything. Like it more than my 2005 Sid. Once the xtr disc brakes are set up the right way they rock! The Mavic Crossmax SL rims are the best you can get!

Weaknesses:    Nothing

Bottom Line:
This is the best hardtail I have ever been on. The only thing I wish it had was a lockout on the shock and a more comfortable saddle, but that is a personal thing.

They are right when they say STEEL IS REAL!
This is my 2nd Jamis hardtail, and I couldn't ask for anything better. For the price, you can get a race ready bike straight out of the box! I wouldn't say this about much but....BUY this bike if you have the $$$

Favorite Trail:   singletrack anywhere