Jamis Dragon Pro XC Hardtail

4.94/5 (16 Reviews)
Weight : 25.00 lbs MSRP : $549.99

The Jamis Dragon is one of our most storied, revered chassis. Always steel, with its incredibly resilient ride. Always fast, with our superblyTuned geometryThat maximizesTraction and handling.This isThe rigThat built our reputation in mountain biking's early years. And it's a legendThat's still going strong. Geometry: SIZE CENTER of BBToTOP ofTT EFFECTIVETT LENGTH HT ANGLE ST ANGLE CHAINSTAY WHEELBASE FORK RAKE BB

Submitted by larryc a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2012

Strengths:    every aspect-strong rear forged dropouts,exc. welds,fit-finish top shelf.

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
sub 23lbs. w/out pedals."point & shoot" is a good description of what this machine is like.vintage 1998 & rides like a dream.best rider thus far.if you can find one your size try it/well worth the time.

Favorite Trail:   all

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   C.L.

Similar Products Used:   spec. S-works-stumpjumpers-hardrocks,GT hardtails,softtails,etc.

Bike Setup:   xtr-xt,SID hydroair 100mm.

Submitted by cyclist01 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff,Light weight (for a steel bike)..Jusdt great all around bike

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Before you buy another hardtail go out and test ride a dragon pro....You will be hooked

Purchased At:   Springfield bicycle

Bike Setup:   Dragon pro,full xtr,reba team and easton xc one wheelset

Submitted by juan a Cross Country Rider from Chapel Hill

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2010

Strengths:    great ride, it just feels right! It ebs and flows with you and is fast as hell.

Reynolds 853 tubes. It just feels right...

Weaknesses:    Avids are on/off. need to upgrade but they work.
The seat post clamp is a bit weak.

Bottom Line:
I currently have 3 mountain bikes, and the Jamis is my favorite ride, I love my other bikes but the Jamis makes me a better rider.

I can see myself riding this bike in 15 years. Its timeless.

Its not for everyone but if your in the market for Steal this is by far one sweet ride.

Favorite Trail:   Carolina North

Similar Products Used:   Steal GT (15 years ago), Giant NRS air, Haro SS, Giant Reign, Zion SS, a road bike, a Cyclocross, and a 1965 frejus SS

Submitted by agefighter a Weekend Warrior from Pennington, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2010

Strengths:    The 26" Dragon Pro is about as nimble as a bike can get. You just point and shoot and the bike responds. Those of you who ride steel know what I am talking about and those of you who don't, rent or borrow one before you purchase your next bike. You owe it to yourself.

Weaknesses:    I have been riding jamis steel frames for 20 years and have never had a problem. My prior hardtail was a 1997 Jamis Dakota.

Bottom Line:
I have been mountain biking for 25 years and have seen so many different variations of the mountain bike. Some successful, some not. I have 2 bikes that cover all my trail riding needs. My 2006 Specialized Enduro covers my really technical, super rocky trail riding needs and my 2010 Jamis Team Pro handles all the rest. The Dragon is a classic and does what its designed to do without flaw. I must repeat what many others have said in these reviews. Forget all the crap manufacturers keep coming out with to get you to spend more money every year. The Dragon steel frame has worked for years without major change. Why mess with perfection!

Favorite Trail:   Stephens

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   1997 Jamis Dakota

Bike Setup:   Mavic 717XC hoops, Hayes Hydraulic 6" brakes, Shimano XT group all around, FSA cranks.

Submitted by fauxpas a Cross Country Rider from Walnut Creek, Ca

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2010

Strengths:    Hardtail=Great climber; Reynolds 853 Steel=Great ride!
The Dragon Pro has been around for many years, and it's always been an awesome bike. It offers a lot of bike for not a lot of money, and the build quality of the frame is excellent!

Weaknesses:    Not as light as some carbon or alloy frames, but it's not far from them! I've been told 4.2 lbs for 17" frame...not bad, for steel!

Bottom Line:
If you've never ridden a steel (NICE steel!) bike before, you owe it to yourself to try it! Stiff for climbs and lightning fast accelerations, yet it has minimal vibration and a very forgiving and comfortable ride. For some situations: Steel IS Real!
Highly Recommended!

Favorite Trail:   I like variety

Price Paid:    $2050.00

Purchased At:   Sports Basement

Similar Products Used:   1998 GT Psyclone, also Reynolds 853 (21.5 lbs)
STOLEN 2 months ago with my Titus Racer-X....Grrrrr!!! I hate thieves!!

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock. Added CK headset, Easton Monkeylite bars and stem, Lizard skin grips, Candy SL pedals, Thomson Elite seatpost. Can't decide on which wheels I want yet!

Submitted by drifty a Cross Country Rider from Hawkes Bay, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2009

Strengths:    2009 Dragon Pro.
Anyone who buys a bike like this already knows it's strengths. One of the only mainstream steel bike left. Not super light but such a smooth ride that you need to experience to appreciate. Like the new design and paint, different from the usual black/white/grey/silver combinations out there, looks way better in real life than in the catalogue.

Weaknesses:    Standard Juicy 3's are very average, squeal like pigs and look cheap. Best to swap them if you have the chance. Wheels are ok and do the job. Get a lighter set for events.

Bottom Line:
Go and get one, you know you want to. Don't listen to your friends, they are only jealous. Best hardtail you will buy!

Purchased At:   Cranked Cycles, Napi

Bike Setup:   Standard 09 spec. Swapped brakes to Formula Oro K24. ODI grips.

Submitted by jamisVermont a Racer from Vermont

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2008

Strengths:    Climbs effortlessly, 853 steel is lively, responsive and forgiving, smooth ride, handles very well, acceleration is impressive. Reliability and durability, in 2000 miles, mostly offroad, I have never need repairs.

Weaknesses:    Everyone on the trails looks at my sexy bike and wants to know about it! Other than that, nothing bad to say about the bike.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike on sale, right before the 2007 came out. Originally $2200 down to $1470. It was spec'ed well from Jamis, but being a weight weenie, I have replaced a lot of parts as I found deals. I did race the bike stock when I first got it and it performed very well, but upgrading parts and the bike gets even faster.

Jamis builds great bikes. I have put this bike through a lot. I sold my full suspension rig last year so this bike has been on some rough trails lately. I only weigh 140lbs so I don't feel too bad taking it off small drops, nothing over 5 feet though since I still need it for races.

I have never needed to repair anything on this bike. It has been involved in 3 serious crashes, and a few minor ones, with no damage aside from minor scratches.

If you are in the market for an XC hardtail, the Dragon Pro is worth looking at. It rides great stock and if you want to build it into a race machine, you won't be disappointed.

Purchased At:   Alpine Shop Middlebu

Similar Products Used:   None that come close.

Bike Setup:   2006 Jamis Dragon Pro
Syntace F99 stem
CrankBros Cobalt C headset w/carbon spacers
Titec Pluto Carbon seatpost
Selle Italia Flite w/titanium rails
XT derailleurs front and rear
KCNC pulleys
Truvativ crankset
FSA MegaExo bottom bracket
Crankbros Eggbeaters
XTR cassette
YBN 901-ti chain (gold)
Panaracer Razer tires
Panaracer Greenlite tubes
Titanium bolts for the stem, and brakes

Submitted by htmusick a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa, OK

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2008

Strengths:    Can't beat the off-the-shelf value or the sweet feel of steel! The bike is nimble and supple, but doesn't compromise stroke efficiency (kinda like Ti without the price). Very, very responsive - be careful if you're coming off an old beater like I did - it will buck ya. Components are high-end enough that you really don't need to upgrade unless you just want to (or you really think cutting a half a pound is going to make you any faster - just a hint, it won't!).

Weaknesses:    The paint does seem to chip rather easily, so I would maybe suggest that Jamis start powder coating this frame. Also the Juicy Three's have faded quickly on mine - maybe it was just the pads, but I swapped 'em out anyway.

Bottom Line:
Unless you're going custom, this bike is the real deal. During the week I lock out the forks and slap on some semi-slicks and tear up the pavement. On the weekends I put on the knobbies and head for the trails. This bike can do both without flinching!

Favorite Trail:   Turkey Mountain

Purchased At:   Springfield Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   None, I came from an old aluminum hardtail, but considered the Voodoo Bizango, Gunnar Rockhound, and Salsa Ala Carte.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock - dropped in a new SRAM PG-990 11-32 cassette, a matching SRAM PC-991 chain, two King Cage Ti bottle cages, some new Avid Juicy Seven's (sweet!) and got the dealer to install some Crank Bros. Eggbeater SL's instead of the stock Candy C's.

Submitted by No Name a Cross Country Rider from Milwaukee, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2008

Strengths:    For a steel HT "as is," moderate weight, reasonable components at an acceptable price-point and fast.

Weaknesses:    Hate the color (I hate 'paint' on any MTB, going OD Green powder coat at end-of-season). Juicy Three's although I must admit, they have exceeded my expectations to-date.

Bottom Line:
After hitting ~500 miles on this Dragon, and almost all miles off-road, it is exactly what I wanted and expected. An old-school steel HT that screams. I have her setup like I want for now and the only other thing I will do in the near future is obtain a 2nd set of [high-end custom] wheels that are built exclusively to handle serious northwoods roots, bumps and moderate drops "at a high-rate-of-speed." Future tire choice[s] will vary as well and will be selected based on my personal tests and performance observations. The bottom-line for my style and needs is; "good call!"

Favorite Trail:   Anything non-pavement

Purchased At:   Cory the Bike Fixer

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6000 Alum HT, Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Stock 17" except: Replaced Exiwolf's with Kenda Small Block Eights, Candy C's with flats, cut the Easton EA50
MonkeyBar's down to 24" & added Titec risers, Stem replaced with a 100mm Thomson Elite X4 and replaced grips w/ Oury lock-ons. Lastly, the obligatory Minoura bottle cage.

Submitted by Nate G a Cross Country Rider from Forest Lake, MN

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2008

Strengths:    The geometry allows the bike to be responsive without being overly twitchy. This bike tackles both climbs and descents well. The steel frame does a nice job of dampening the noise/chatter/vibrations felt through the frame, especially when compared to an aluminum hardtail. The Fox F100 RL does a good job at taking out the big bumps and hits. The Easton stem and seat post perform without issue and the 31.8 mm OS handlebar is plenty stiff. Jamis includes Crank Bros Candy C pedals when at this price point most manufactures do not include pedals.

Weaknesses:    The Avid Juicy 3 brakes work sufficiently, however, on a bike with Shimano XT deraillures, shifters, and crank I would expect Juicy 5’s. The wheels are also a bit on the heavy side for a bike billed as a “no-holds-barred” machine. Both of these issues can be easily remedied.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking to buy a good quality hardtail, give the Jamis Dragon Pro a look.

Favorite Trail:   Anything rideable

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   NOW Biks and Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000, Jamis Dakar Expert

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Guy a Weekend Warrior from Mililani, HI, USA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2008

Strengths:    Steel Frame, XT Components, Excellent Ride Quality, High Quality Product, Light Weight

Weaknesses:    Shimano 525 Hubs, Paint Chips Easily, Flat Handlebar

Bottom Line:
So I set out to find a high quality rigid steel bike. After looking for a while on the internet, I found the reviews on this site on the Jamis Dragon - Pro and Team. After reading the glowing reviews that this bike had received, I decided to purchase one.

Out of the box, the Jamis Dragon Pro is a high quality product with excellent ride quality. The steel frame reduces the amount of vibrations felt by the rider. I was pleasently surprised when I received my bike and noticed how light-weight it actually was.

Since purchasing this bike, I have made a few component changes including Mavic SLR wheels, White Brothers Rock Solid Fork, Thomson Stem and Post, Titec Riser Bars, and a more comfortable seat (not because it needed it). I use this bike primarily for excercise, so I swapped out the Fox Fork for a White Brothers Rock Solid carbon rigid fork, which has reduced the weight of this already light bike quite a bit and still provides a vibration-free ride.

I can't say enough of about this bike. Buy this bike, you will not be disappointed.

Purchased At:   Bike Werx

Bike Setup:   2006 Jamis Dragon Pro, Mavic SLR Wheels, White Brothers Rock Solid Fork, Shimano XT Components, Thomson Stem and Post, Shimano 540 Pedals, Titec Hellbent Carbon Riser Bars

Submitted by dave thompson a Cross Country Rider from pittsburgh, Pa, USA

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2007

Strengths:    light. strong. Lockout fork

Weaknesses:    jive hubs. Flat bars.

Bottom Line:
This is the real deal. I am using this bike as my everyday ride. It climbs like a billygoat and rips up singletrack. It is tight and quick. If you are looking for a good hardtail to ride and/or race, you will not find a better bike for the money.

Favorite Trail:   Bavington and Frick

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   Kona, Spooky, GT, Surly, Specialized, etc.

Bike Setup:   All stock 2007

Submitted by hank stowers a Cross Country Rider from durango, colorado, u.s.a

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2007

Strengths:    great smooth shifting, awesome acceleration, good standup position geometry, great all terrain handling, and good for some street and dirt jump.

Weaknesses:    not one

Bottom Line:
I'm a seventh grade bike junkie on Chad Cheeny's race team. I have had this bike for a week, and my old one i had for a year. I feel like i've improved twice as much as my Rocky Mt. rode!!!:-) This bike is good for anyone who is actually brave enough (and cool enough) to ride a hardtail!

Favorite Trail:   anything in test trax

Purchased At:   durango cyclery

Similar Products Used:   rocky mountain

Bike Setup:   xt componetry, fox vanilla fork, 15" frame, all that good stuff!

Submitted by John Muldoon a Cross Country Rider from Wilmigton, Delaware, USA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2007

Strengths:    Great Frame, Good Brakes All XT lock on grips SDG saddle pretty much everything

Weaknesses:    Hubs could be better, but they get the job done

Bottom Line:
Excellent Bike.

Strong and the power is transferred directly.

Buy this bike if you want a steel hardtail with good components.

Favorite Trail:   White Clay or Killington mountains

Purchased At:   Henry's Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   All stock except the saddle was swapped for an SDG Bel-Air

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2006

Strengths:    The bike delivers the performance promised.

Weaknesses:    None to date

Bottom Line:
I found it very difficult to locate a Dragon Pro to test ride, but eventually did. I almost settled for a Specialized Stumpjumper and am thrilled that I did not. There really is no equal to high quality steel. I read on the review,a few negative reviews about the Avid Juicy 5 and was worried about the breaks. They quickly showed the complaints that I read about, but were easily corrected by adjusting as per the manual, with no problem since. I believe that those who are complaining or troubled by the breaks need to read or obtain in the first place the manual for the break published by Avid, that should have been supplied with the bike at time of purchase. The Dragon Pro has proven itself worth every penny and I would highly recommend it, there are no equals at this price point in my opinion.

Purchased At:   lbs