Jamis Dragon Comp XC Hardtail

3.8/5 (5 Reviews)
Weight : 28.50 lbs MSRP : $999.99

The Dragon isthe rigThat built a reputation in mountain bikings early years andits a legendThats still going strong. Chromoly isThe material of choice - lightweight Reynolds 631TubingTo be exact. However dont assume its chromoly construction is inferiorToTodays highTech materials, it has a rideThat is subtle yet responsive and one many riders prefer. When combined with its Rock Shox suspension, disc brakes andShimano drivetrainThis bike is just waitingTo be ridden. Frame Reynolds 631 seamless a

Submitted by Pakman8u a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2014

Strengths:    slack trail geometry hardtail bike, begs to ridden hard, every component is workhorse quality, steel

Weaknesses:    Heavy, the rockshox xc30 is not good, Seat needs swapping right away

Bottom Line:
I got the 2014 650b comp bike. I'm a fast roadie with some good and fast cylco-cross background (I ride the cross bike on legitimate mtn bike trails). I was looking for my first mountain bike in the colorado front range. I had no intentions for XC racing so I wanted a bike for pure fun potential. I did my research and knew what I knew wanted.

650b-I'm not a tall rider or an fast xc specialist
120mm+ suspension- might as well
69 degree or slacker HT- this is the 21st century (isn't?)
a workhorse bike- never in over its head, and never overkill (gonna be lifelong bike)
preferably steel- I'm still gonna ride hard, and don't want to be beat up for it
Hardtail- cheaper, the legs are the best suspension system anyways

when you research enough you'll surprisingly find plenty of bikes like this, but none with the history of Dragon.

I love this bike, not like a dream bike but like a brother. It'll beat you up from time to time, but in return you beat the hell out of it because its just begging for it (and deserves it to). This is not fast bike it's too heavy, so if you care about results look else where now. This bike will reward those who hull it's poor ass over the mountain and challenge you to a friendly race back down.

with the exception of the fork this is the best spec'd bike for the money, Deore through out, ritchey cockpit. nothing needs upgrading, but any future investments will be well rewarded. The fork does suck but at least your not stuck with paying an half-ass product that thinks it good. It'll be hard to find a replacement for it though because it's a straight 1 1/8" steer tube (not too many 650b straight steer tube forks on the market). But hopefully the market fixes that in the future.

buts it heavy, Harden up. it's pretty easy to find where to hack off 3 pounds (seat, cockpit, fork, tires, cassette...).
get it if-
-you have pulse
-you like fun
-this is your first bike
-you believe bike should last a lifetime
-want a bike that doesn't need upgrading right away

Don't get it if-
-you're a xc racer who cares about results
-you can afford to buy the race model
-you already own one

Similar Products Used:   I did test ride the race 29er version, it's definitely the better bike (frame and parts) but the 650b version is more fun (possibly slower depending on trails). The steel feels better in the race version and the tapered fork is nice, but if your budget doesn't allow for the higher end model don't feel bad.
If want dual purpose for racing go for the 29er, but if you care more about fun stick to 650b.

Bike Setup:   17" frame- 5'9" 140 lbs rider

Submitted by Mr. Holmes a Cross Country Rider from Upstate New York

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2010

Strengths:    Great steel frame, nice components, good ride, well worth the money.

Weaknesses:    heavy, but not abnormally so.
From what I've heard, the Hayes Sole brakes don't have good stopping power. However, I weigh 140 lbs and haven't really noticed. I've used brakes that have better stopping power, but I can lock both wheels with relative ease when I want to (for stoppies and rear wheel brake slides).

Bottom Line:
Great bike. I've had a blast on it. I'm still thinking of a name for it.... tough decisions..
Anyway, I love the Reynolds 631 steel frame. I've ridden other aluminum frames and the ride quality just is not the same.
The shimano Derailleurs work well and the LX shifters... well, shift smoothly and have a quality feel. They can be pushed or pulled to change gears, which I find fun.
The brakes aren't as good as many people would like them to be. I haven't had any problems in particular with the Hayes Sole Hydraulic brakes, but it's true that they aren't overly powerful. I might switch them out for some Avid BB7s at some point. I'm not in a huge hurry, however.
Other than personal, ergonomic modifications, e.g. handlebars, stem, more adjustable seat post, and bar ends, I might consider upgrading to a nicer set of rims. Again, I haven't had any trouble with the stock rims, and I haven't babied them, but they are heavy.

The Dragon comp is for those people looking for a comfortable, steel frame trail bike who may, at some point, want to upgrade components and make the bike their own. That is not necessary though. I've had a lot of fun on this bike and I have only recently started buying aftermarket parts for it.

All in all, a great bike for the price. I've always loved Jamis products and the Dragon Comp has never let me down. Thanks for listening!

Purchased At:   Action Sports

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Cross Country
Raleigh Mojave
Jamis Durango 1

Bike Setup:   After market mods:
Easton EA70 monkeybars 30mm rise, Ritchey Wcs-Sl Bar Ends, Easton EA50 stem, Easton EA70 seatpost with 2 bolts for adjustment. Lizard Skin chain stay protector, Shimano pedals, Shimano LX crank set, Cateye Enduro 8 computer

Submitted by jim_pup a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2008

Strengths:    Good deal on a "steel is real" hardtail bike. Great grip, good component set - although trying my hardest to get things broken so I can get on the upgrade train. Shimano components (transmission) have been faultless, despite being midrange.

Weaknesses:    Chrome and Black paint job makes it look a bit like a supermarket bike. Beware buying bikes from the internet. Even though this came with 'professional setup', it arrived with neither disc brake working (leaks, kinks in hoses), a small ding in the frame, front tire instaled wrong way round, rear deraileur needing adjustment. Jenson did provide a credit and my LBS made good on adjustments, but I couldn't ride the thing out of the crate. Feels very heavy, but somehow it just loves going up hills. Rear wheel needed some truing after first few rides (which I discovered after reviewing the wheelset on MTBR.com)

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike to mix up mountain biking with the road biking and fixed wheel commuting I do on a more regular basis. I am comfortable tinkering with them to keep them on the road so didn't mind the initial hastles and subsequent truing. This bike suits someone who likes steel and doesn't care for the additional complexity of dual suspension rigs. I would think hard about getting the upgraded Dragon Pro, as it has the bits I'm already thinking about getting for my comp. At the end of the day, you really can't beat $850 for a rig that will do serious mountain bike courses.

Favorite Trail:   Charlotte Whitewater Center

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000 with XT components, which felt tons lighter, but suffered a bent frame in a harsh tumble.

Bike Setup:   I changed the stock flat handlebar for a wider raised Bontranger Crowbar as well as the grips for fatter Race Face grips, both off the old bike. Transformed the handling and my confidence in the bike.

Submitted by CajunAg08 a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2008

Strengths:    Climbs well, nice shock, comfortable saddle, deore lx/xt, grippy tires. Steel frame is stiff yet dampens the rough stuff.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy (it is steel), headset squeaked during first ride, but a few allen wrench turns took care of that

Bottom Line:
For the 2008 Jamis Dragon Comp:

Let me say first that this is my first bike since my 2004 Trek 820 hardtail I bought new. The difference between the 820 and the Dragon is utterly ridiculous.

This is an awesome middle range bike. It offers an exceptional value for the price. The Tora 318 is a nice upgrade from the Suntour shock, the seat is much better than any I have ever ridden, and the tires actually grip to things! All of the other components, the shifters, brakes, crankset, everything has performed better than I hoped for.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Bryan, Anthills

Similar Products Used:   '04 Trek 820 Singletrack

Bike Setup:   Stock, added a chainstay guard

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Montana

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2008

Strengths:    Steel frame, manitou relic shock, lx/xt components

Weaknesses:    wtb speed disc wheelset, hayes hydraulic brakes, heavy original weight of ~28lb

Bottom Line:
This bike is a decent bike with original components. It is heavy, but with modifications (wheel set, fork, cranks, swap out lx components, brakes) this can be sub 25lb.

Bike is very responsive, and stiff. Steel frame cushions a lot. Overall good quality bike.

Get rid of the brakes immediately. Worse component on bike. Not good for any type of riding except commuting. No stopping power at all.

Fork is alright. 100mm travel. Is very stiff when needs to be. Lock out is great. Weight of fork is ~4.2 lb. It is heavy, but it gets the job done. Damping is nice addition. Will change out fork eventually for R7, or fox fl-100.