Jamis Dakota XC Hardtail

4.66/5 (29 Reviews)

The Dakota dXC Pro is a carbon fiber work of art.This bike isThe current state ofThe art hardtail.The new Dyad XC Elite carbon fiber lay- up is lighter, stiffer, and snappier.To ensureThat every rider experiencesThe desired ride, Jamis uses SST DifferentialTubing Diameter Design. SST Design means larger frames use larger diameterTubes, while smaller frames use smaller diameterTubes.This supports larger riders without punishing smaller rides. WispThroughTheTrail, just as a nimble footed mou

Submitted by Mntbiker a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2013

Strengths:    Light Frame

Weaknesses:    Not so light componets

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a decent frame to build a hard tail with for commuting to work on dirt and hard roads also hitting some easy single track trails. I found this bike for 200 bucks on craigslist and took it home and stripped it to the bare unpainted frame, I then clear coated it and rebuilt it with all new parts. I have about a grand into it and I am happy with it. It's about 24 pounds and like I said the frame is decent for what I paid and I also sold the used parts that were on it and basically got a free frame.

Favorite Trail:   Most of them

Purchased At:   Built at home

Similar Products Used:   Any lighter framed bike.

Bike Setup:   Jamis dakota frame 19 inch, sram X9 shifters X9 derailleurs, Sram X7 crank, Sram 990 cassette, KMC X9.93 CHAIN, Mavic Crossride wheels, IRC tires, Easton EC70 handle bars and EC70 seat post, Ea90 stem, canecreek headset, Rock shox 2003 Psylo Race Gold fork, Selle Italia SL Kit Carbonio Flow Saddle.

Submitted by ivar

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2013

Strengths:    its fast!, very fast. its geometry is agressive and you can trash it around and beat on it, XT shifter shifts fast, the rock shox recon race is one of the best i've tried.

Weaknesses:    it can wear you out a little.

Bottom Line:
this is one of the better bikes i've tried, its geometry enables me to lay forward on it and really attack the trails.
it suits agressive riders, the harder i push it the better it gets.
the price on dakotas is higher than it says here, there new price was about $1800

i recomend this bike to everyone,

Submitted by Zig a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2013

Strengths:    Light and solidly built, climbs and descends very well
Lockout on fork
Carbon seat stay (makes you feel fancy and may absorb some shock better than aluminum, may be my head)
Price point! Great bike for beginners, I learned to ride and work on this guy.

Weaknesses:    Brakes
grips
smooshed a front wheel pretty easily (though I probably ought to have)
Tires (upgraded to some better climbers)

Bottom Line:
First mountain bike, bought it off of craigslist for $400 some odd dollars. I'm 6'3", so a stem riser was soon in order, but once I found a comfortable position on the bike, it was amazing. I smooshed the front wheel a few months after I got it doing things outside my skill level, so hard to tell if it was a bad wheelset or a stupid rider. Fork and frame were fine after. Upgraded to Mavic Crossrides to a somewhat noticeable difference. Brakes were o.k. until I learned to bleed them and replaced the pads, now they're fairly beefy. I've made it all fancy and am giving it to my boyfriend; I've just purchased a K2 attack I'll be riding now.

Odd thing I ran into; it does not have retention spots for cable brakes.

Purchased At:   criagslist

Bike Setup:   ODI Yeti grips, Mavic Crossride wheelset, Kenda Nevegal front, WTB Velociraptor back. I'm happy.

Submitted by Dazza a Cross Country Rider from Wigan UK

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2011

Strengths:    Frame geometry and design utilising Kenisium and Carbon mix combined with the trusted Fox RL 32's, this sets the pace tricked with XT's trusty groupset the choice against the competition was made for me...

Weaknesses:    None to complain off really, routine maintenance like gear cables streching and a buckle in the rear rim, both easily serviced out by the mechanic.
Not bike specific but watch the bearings in the headset and hubs if your jet-washing the bike after each ride type,a word of experience do not get to close to the seals or you will contaminate the bearings in no time.

Bottom Line:
I did look very very closely at the well pubilsized names in this sector's XC competition and I can tell you I have never looked back since the purchase of my 19" JDE, in fact we bought another for a mates son since.

The JDE is everything I hoped it would be,light enough to allow you stability,performance and durability. This bike really comes alive the harder you push on those XC rides, hill climbs or tricky decents slow or fast.

A rapid turn of speed is just a breeze..get on the saddle of a JDE and hang on there guys....

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Buy A Bike Chorley

Similar Products Used:   Similar bikes off similar value

Bike Setup:   Unchanged apart from Carbon seat post and cockpit, Bontranger tyres for easier puncture replacement.

Submitted by fatroadie a Racer from Overland Park, KS, USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2010

Strengths:    Strong component spec minus the wheelset. Nice ride to the frame, and it appears to be well-constructed. Terrific Fox fork. Beautiful BB30 setup.

Weaknesses:    Feels fairly heavy for how it looks and is billed at. Avid's need some love to work best. I'm still figuring those out for optimum setup.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2009 Elite...

In regards to weight, this bike rides a lot lighter than how it feels upon picking it up. I'm replacing the stock wheelset with a Stan's Crest wheelset, and I think that's really going to make this bike come alive.

Overall, I enjoy the ride of the bike, and I think after I replace the wheelset and get it fit, it should keep me happy for quite awhile.

Favorite Trail:   Landahl or Berryman

Purchased At:   Volker Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek STP300, Trek OCLV, Schwinn Badlands (first bike)

Bike Setup:   Stock for now.

Submitted by ianrab a Weekend Warrior from Altoona, PA

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2010

Strengths:    -lightweight (for its capabilities)
-affordable
-responsive
-quality parts
-knobby off-road tires, fast
-aluminum frame

Weaknesses:    -lack of places for mounting accessories (see bike setup)
-fork (first one leaked, got it replaced for free, lockout knob fell off the second one, made a new knob, works fine now)
-brakes (the BR-M485 set leaked from the caliper body, this is a known issue, Shimano replaced them with a BR-M486 set for free, works fine now)

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. I love it. Although it lacks mounting points for accessories, including a kickstand, I use it to commute and it more than gets the job done. My old bike was a WalMart Mongoose XR-150, and it was ok, but I needed something better. I use my Jamis for getting to school, the Dollar Tree, and the grocery store. I also liked the price, on sale from $1000. The fork and brake issues were taken care of in the first month that I had it, so they weren't too bad of a problem.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   none. thats why I got it.

Bike Setup:   stock with Specialized Armadillo tires (Kevlar-lined), rear rack with a mono-stay, strap-on fenders, custom headlight

Submitted by Lukem a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2009

Strengths:    Geometry, lightweight frame, good component package for the price

Weaknesses:    Shimano hydraulic brakes can be noisy if the bike sits for a while

Bottom Line:
I am reviewing the 2008 model....Great bike. Aggressive geometry; short chainstays and a steepish headtube make this bike very agile. Even with the short wheelbase the bike handles exceptionally well at high speeds. I put a shorter stem on my bike and that made the slow speed steering is a bit twitchy, but when riding fast (that's what it was designed for) the steering is that much more precise. Rockshox Tora is a bit heavy, but it has excellent lateral stiffness and is pretty plush.

I got this for about the same price as a Trek 4500 or Fisher Marlin would have cost, and the specs on the Dakota blow those two bikes out of the water. Frame provides a good platform for XC racing as well.

Similar Products Used:   GF Marlin, Trek 4500

Bike Setup:   stock, except for pedals-swapped clipless pedals for a set of Wellgo flats

Submitted by Slow francis a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2009

Strengths:    Brilliant to ride very comfortable, very quick, Rare !!!!
Best bike I have ever owned ! bar none !

Weaknesses:    Poor paint finish in places - and Jamis Warranty - wheels a touch heavy.

Bottom Line:
Looks Ride Uniqueness ( in UK ) gets attention light and stiff - brilliant bike far better than I deserve !

Favorite Trail:   Anglezarke Lancs

Purchased At:   Buy a Bike

Similar Products Used:   Merlin Malt, Various Kona's ( this is way better than the price equivalent Kona )

Bike Setup:   09 Frame, Full XT inc BB/Crank - Avid Juicy 5 - Fox RFL32 fork - Easton Cockpit.

Submitted by Masta a Racer from New-Richmond,Qc,Canada

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2009

Strengths:    FRame,fork, the r7 work very well, xt shifter,xt gear

Weaknesses:    THE Firex and the BB is a cheap gear , the first time I rode my bike the crank fall down, the wheels set,tires

Bottom Line:
Great frame in 2006 like the next years, but in 2009 lot of better things, like the crank and other new stuff great machine fast and light

Favorite Trail:   Single track

Purchased At:   Montreal

Similar Products Used:   old rocky mountain

Bike Setup:   Full xt transimission,xt crank (is GREAT) xt hubs with mavic 717xc,maxxis larsen tt, carbon prologo saddle,trigon seatpost,race face deus stemp and next sl handlebars, odi lock jaw,new fsa head set gore cables and g2 avid disc

Submitted by SR24084 a Cross Country Rider from clwr,fl

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2008

Strengths:    A lot of bike for the money. The paint was really nicely done this year. Over all the bike is a great starting place to upgrade from when stuff wears out.

Weaknesses:    M485 brakes!!!!

I am a little weary of how much abuse the carbon seat stays will take......

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. Light and flys down the trails. And best of all its a bike worth upgrading.

Favorite Trail:   croom traills

Purchased At:   sun west cycles

Similar Products Used:   Proflex, Kona, KHS, and GT.

Bike Setup:   Juicy 5 brakes, FSA riser and stem, Deore LX crankset, KMC X9 chain, Sram PG-990 cassette, factory wheel set wrapped in Maxxiss High Rollers.

Submitted by gointhedistance a Cross Country Rider from St Paul, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2008

Strengths:    Components for price. Frame. Looks. Everything.

Weaknesses:    Personal preferences-stock saddle, bar and tires switched out.

Bottom Line:
I have had the bike for a couple of weeks now, and I LOVE it. It is super fast, quick to accelerate, feels really solid when peddling hard and in turns. The components for the price are great. In the future I will upgrade a few things to drop a little weight, but for a pretty stock bike-out of the shoot-it flies. I am very very happy with my choice to go with a dak. el. I had researched for a really long time, and this bike is awesome!

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Ironhorse Warrior?? none really

Bike Setup:   08 Dakota Elite, fox fork, easton cockpit, xt components, wtb rims, maxxis wheels

Submitted by Stas a Cross Country Rider from Russia

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2008

Strengths:    Looks nice, has a good fork and transmission, Wellgo pedals are pretty good if set up properly

Weaknesses:    Maxxis Mobster tires are heavy - they're really bad on tarmac, well on sand/dirt, I would use other tires though

Bottom Line:
A good bicycle worth every dollar paid for it. Can be used in XC racing.

Purchased At:   Trial-Sport

Similar Products Used:   GT Timberline, GT Palomar

Bike Setup:   Stock + Vetta RT277

Submitted by jon a Cross Country Rider from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2007

Strengths:    good all around bike. well worth what i paid, handles alot of abuse, and just plain looks good.

Weaknesses:    the hayes so1e brakes. they just suck, front hub problems

Bottom Line:
good bike, just brakes are a pain because of how much mainenance they require. otherwise this is a realy good xc bike.

Purchased At:   biycle works llc

Similar Products Used:   Giant boulder se

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Gavin de Loree a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2007

Strengths:    Great handling, light weight and robust frame design, carbon fibre rear stays, Juicy 5 HD, Jamis warranty system.

Weaknesses:    WTB speed disc rims, standard shimano hubs HB M 475's, heavy WTB seat, weak standard stainless spokes, WTB headset, Rear brake line routing.

Bottom Line:
A good solid hardtail, carbon seat stays make for a smooth ride. Have owned this bike for around 2 years have taken it to rotorua New Zealand and given some of those hard core dual suspention riders a bit of a fright.The bike although on the heavy side in standard trim has a lot of potential, adding a carbon seat stay is a wise investment. A good solid performer very capable in the right hands

Favorite Trail:   Lysterfeild, Commonwealth Games Track