Iron Horse Warrior Comp XC Hardtail

4.11/5 (37 Reviews)

Submitted by Nor-calnwb a Cross Country Rider from SF, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2011

Strengths:    Light, strong, climbs like a goat (provided your in good shape), brakes

Weaknesses:    fork, brakes (no feedback on modulation)

Bottom Line:
good value for money, fork crapped out on me after the first month of using them, upgraded front rotors as well. Responsive, and a great xc rig! Did i mention climbs like crazy?

Purchased At:   Good ol Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   giant warp, specialized enduro

Bike Setup:   team reba fork, 180mm front rotors, eggbeaters and all stock

Submitted by 10raynbe a Downhiller from new zealand

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2009

Strengths:    very good bike to start off with!

Weaknesses:    people have told me that the forks are bad, but i havent found any thing wrong with them even though i have only been on one ride

Bottom Line:
this bike is greak for some pone starting down hill i am planing on slowly building it up as i need to!

Favorite Trail:   geldrine down hill

Purchased At:   second hand from tra

Similar Products Used:   mongoode thunderball

Submitted by Matt Montgomery a Weekend Warrior from Fallon NV USA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2008

Strengths:    Very strong and very light. I spent years on Raliegh Police bikes that were 45 pounds and not near as stromg

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Very good value. Yes, I did say $300.00 at Scheels. They jusr opened in Reno and have killer sales. So get yer padded behind down there and pick one up. I raced road bikes for years and had to have stiff frames. I love how stiff this frame is for a cheap bike. I look forward to tearing up the local parks and trails.

Favorite Trail:   Peavine Reno Nv.

Purchased At:   Scheels

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hard Rock

Bike Setup:   Stock so far, but give me some time.

Submitted by Erick Rico a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2008

Strengths:    Really light, and strong as if it was very heavy.
Takes alot of abuse, and will just not break.

Weaknesses:    Tires, seem to lose a little air every month.
Disc Brakes, very minor touching on the pad, but if fixed properly it will not slow you down, although it is still annoying.
Crank, I somehow got a defected crank leg, but I got a new one for free. (store warranty)

Bottom Line:
This is a great starter bike for anyone into mountain biking.
I have a feeling this bike will last for many years, And will not be very hard buying upgrades if needed.
Overall, cheap, durable, and nice looking bike. (It has given me no problems whatsoever)

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose XR-100

Bike Setup:   Factory, except for crankbros eggbeaters.

Submitted by kelly platen from Surrey,B.C.Canada

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2007

Strengths:    The frame is very strong,drivetrain is ok, discs or holding up really good.

Weaknesses:    the forks are way too weak for me,cranks are crap, the rotters are warping

Bottom Line:
I think most of the parts are really good for your money,I just think the forks are way too soft(thats why I got the shermans 170mm)

little heavy but strong

good bike

Favorite Trail:   Bowan Island

Purchased At:   Private

Similar Products Used:   norco rampage

Bike Setup:   Sunrims rino lite on the back,stock rim in the front,stock tire in the front, bontrager tire in the back,mantiou shermans breakout 1.5 forks,wtb GT speed v seat, all the rest stock

Submitted by robert from illinois

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2007

Strengths:    this bike stock was just about ready for hardcore trail riding great front forks brakes and just about everything else.

Weaknesses:    the back spring was way too soft for my riding since i ride alot of freestyle but i have now since replaced it.

Bottom Line:
the bottom line this bike is a steal i ride almost everyday and even when this bike was stock it never broke nothing ever fell off or bent. if u want a good bike for a cheap price the iron horse warrior is the way to go

Purchased At:   dicks sporting goods

Bike Setup:   marzoccie mz3 forks, fox racing spring in the back, hayes brakes, shadow conspiraces seat, chris king headset, profile cranks, and the maxxis holy rollers for the tires

Submitted by Nick Lawrence a Cross Country Rider from Ontario

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2007

Strengths:    Amazing frame, fork, headset, rims, Hayes MX-2 brakes, the bike is extremely light

Weaknesses:    WTB Motorapter 2.14's dont grip in trails with many roots, or gravel like other tires. Levers are a little flimsy, already had to replace crankset

Bottom Line:
This bike is the best bang for the buck guarenteed, and won't break the bank. The hayes brakes will stop you no matter what, and it is the lightest bike i've ever ridden in the XC cattegory. I'm a proud owner of my 2006 Ironhorse Warrior team. You really cannot go wrong with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Anything dry

Purchased At:   Sportchek

Similar Products Used:   Giant Iguana 2007, Norco Wolverine

Bike Setup:   Stock except for a Shimano crankset

Submitted by Jason a Downhiller from Toronto

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2007

Strengths:    Good strong frame, ok forks, pretty good bike in genral

Weaknesses:    rims, forks

Bottom Line:
great bike for shore/freeriding.. Stock, I'm a downhiller but i like my hardtail bikes, once you put some money and love in to it you shouldn't have any problems.

Favorite Trail:   blue mountain

Purchased At:   private sale

Similar Products Used:   Norco Manik

Bike Setup:   Ironhorse, drop off triples, deemax, king...

Submitted by matt roane a Weekend Warrior from asheville

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2007

Strengths:    Good value, strong bike

Weaknesses:    fork, grips, tires(if I have to nit pick)

Bottom Line:
This is an update of my 3 mo. post. I had the LBS rebuild the shock w/a heavier spring, and that made a huge improvement. I had to change the grips, they never would stay in place, and I didn't find them that comfortable in the first place. I changed the tires, but the stocks lasted ok, and I never disliked them enough to change until they wore out. All in all, I don't have any regrets about this bike, it has done every thing I asked it to do. Great bike for its class. I would recommend it to anyone, as a matter of fact, I am looking at IH(K2) for my new road bike.

Purchased At:   epic cycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Specialized

Submitted by David Slepicka a Cross Country Rider from Detroit, Michigan

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2007

Strengths:    Hayes Disc Brakes, Deore Shifters, Decent Manitue 100mm Axel Shock, solid frame..

Weaknesses:    Not Many. A little on the heavy side. The Manitue Shock is somewhat weak and can bottom out easily pushed hard. The MTB Motorapator tires are sub-par and I would replace them as soon as possible.

Bottom Line:
This product review is for and 04 model. I have used this bike for three years now and I must say that the bike has held up well over that time. It is on the heavy side (not due to the frame which is rock solid), however for the price you can't beat the quality of components found. I shopped around and similar component bikes were $200~$300 more. I ride appox 2 times a week (8~10 miles) on mostly hardpack terrain.

Favorite Trail:   Island Lake

Purchased At:   Bicycle Bloweout

Similar Products Used:   Canondale F400, Trek 6700.

Bike Setup:   Mostly Stock. I upgrades to Time Atac Clipless Pedals (Big improvement) and Panaracer XC pro tires. Future upgrades with include crankset.

Submitted by Jesse Kiesel a Racer from Biddeford Maine

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2007

Strengths:    impressive features, 27 speeds, disc brakes, good visual design

Weaknesses:    There are many, I purchased this bike for winter road riding, but on my first ride the chain became caught between the middle and large ring on the crank, bent the crank, ruined the chain and bent the rear dérailleur hanger and sucked the rear dérailleur into the rear wheel. I brought it back for repair, the store blamed me, but repaired it. I have had the bike for over a year and a half, had to replace the whole drive train, and it still does not funtion. Currently I am fighting with the manufacturer for a replacement of the whole bike. Don't buy any Iron Horse products, they only warranty the frame for five years. The product may look good but it does not meet the expectations of a serious rider.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy Iron Horse products, there are much better options out there for mountain bikes. plain and simple this bike is not worth the money

Purchased At:   Rodger Ski and Sport in Scarborough

Similar Products Used:   My Specialized Ellez sport is a much better and more reliable bike.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Tucson AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2007

Strengths:    MX2 brakes,pretty decent components, nice frame.

Weaknesses:    Deore Rapid Rise is total junk, heavy, wheelset is weak.

Bottom Line:
Great entry level HT XC bike. After a few minor upgrades this bike is really aggressive on single track. I have given the frame considerable abuse with no signs of it weakening. I would recommend this bike to anyone thinking about starting trail riding.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   GT HT bikes

Bike Setup:   '06 stock except for; SRAM drivetrain, mavic rims, wtb laser V seat, IRC tires with Stan's tubeless conversion.

Submitted by Derick Thymes a Cross Country Rider from Austin, Texas

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2007

Strengths:    The frame and the shimano deore compents that came on the the bike.

Weaknesses:    The crankset set and the forks could have been a little better.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike and I have enjoyed it to the fulliest.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek

Purchased At:   Sports Authority

Similar Products Used:   AMX and Mongoose

Bike Setup:   I have upgraded to shimano deore xt m760 9spd front and rear derailluer, xt m750 9spd brake/shifter combo rapid fire, xt m760 hollowtect crankset, xt m760 11-32 9spd cassette, have a set oem specialized hubs with dt swiss spokes, sun ditch witch rims and a set of blue dragon tioga tires.

Submitted by Derick Thymes a Weekend Warrior from Austin, Texas

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2006

Strengths:    The frame, forks, and the shimano deore componets that it came with when it was purchased.

Weaknesses:    I had a small problem with the crank set. I had a little work done to it, and have not had a another problem with it.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this is a great bike for the price and I have really enjoyed my bike. The frame and forks have been good and I think it is a great deal.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek

Purchased At:   Sports Authority

Similar Products Used:   AMX and Diamond Back.

Bike Setup:   I have upgraded to XT shifter,XT brake levers, XT front and rear derailleurs, and double sided clipless pedals.

Submitted by Nick Miller a Weekend Warrior from Charlottesville

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2006

Strengths:    Disc brakes, okay fork, awesome color,

Bottom Line:
The bike is a killer ride for the money. I wanted to buy something cheaper with disc brakes, but when I saw this bike it was the worth the extra cash I paid. I ride a couple times a week and cannot get enough. Great ride!

Favorite Trail:   walnut creek

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Bike Setup:   stock

Warrior Comp?

I got this in a trade for a city bike I built for a friend. Worth keeping? Worth swapping parts over to a nicer (steel) frame? Ride as-is? Thanks.Read More »

Iron Horse Warrior Comp: headset feels loose

Hello, new poster to the forums but I have been lurking around here for quite a while. I am new to mountain bikes but I have turned quite a few wrenches in my past when it comes to cars. I purchased a Warrior comp off craigslist a while back and have had some issues but for 150 and little investme ... Read More »

Warrior Comp

I don't know to much about Ironhorse bikes and was wondering if this was a good deal. He claims it to be a 2006 or 2007 Warrior Comp. I would appreciate anyones help!! I'm looking at this bike or the Forge Sawback 5XX.Read More »

Warrior Comp BB removal problems

Warrior Comp BB removal problems I have applied a huge amount of torque to the BB of my 2005 Warrior Comp without a budge. Has anyone had this problem? Was it over tightened at the factory?Read More »

Warrior Comp BB removal problems

Warrior Comp BB removal problems I have applied a huge and unreasonable amount of torque to the BB of my 2005 Warrior Comp without a budge. Has anyone had this problem? Was it over tightened at the factory? ThanksRead More »