Iron Horse Warrior 5 XC Hardtail

3.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by Potato_boy a Weekend Warrior from Houston

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2009

Strengths:    Strong Frame, juicy 3s, weirwolfs,

Weaknesses:    seatpost, sx24 wheels, tad bit heavy

Bottom Line:
It's a solid bike, rigid frame (too rigid for my liking) I'm 150 lbs and ride carefully and didn't have much issues with the wheelset, then i let a buddy ride it, he's around 200 lbs, and second day out he threw the rear wheel out of true. The seatpost made saddle adjustments a pain and loosened up after long rides. Overall a decent bike. Nothing special but it gets the job done.

Favorite Trail:   Anthills

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Trek 930, IH maverick

Bike Setup:   wtb speediscs, thomson seatpost, easton bars and stem, xt cranks. running 1x9

Submitted by Colorado Yooper a Cross Country Rider from Pine, Co

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2009

Strengths:    Industructable, easy set-up, price Point.

Weaknesses:    Little heavy, seat, wheels

Bottom Line:
As a Clydesdale, 6'2" 225 I needed a bike that can take my big butt up and down the hill without breaking. I am also not a weight weenie or poseur. My riding style is about the enjoyment of getting out and also getting back to work, So nothing that will lay me up. I recently crashed and broke my last bike in half (by the way dont hit the front brakes in a rock garden). So I decided to go with a heavier frame, with higher end gear, and due to lack of funds a bike a few years old so I could get a better deal.

I looked for about a month at the LBS and online. I found what looks to be the last 21.5" Warrior 5.0 that Performance had. I looked at the reviews, which were not too kind, but the gear on the bike was pretty good. The kicker was that it was $450.00. So I bought it.

After a few rides to adjust the fit, brakes, chain (had a stuck link), it is riding like a champ.

I have found that when you buy a new bike and you think it is road ready out of the shop you are mistaken. You need to adjust/tinker until it fits you, it should not take too long. For novices it allows you to get to know your bike, so when you are on the trail and murphy happens, you can get it fixed and back up.

Favorite Trail:   Kenosha Pass

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F5

Bike Setup:   Sram X9 rear, X7 front, Juicy 3 brakes, RS Tora, WTB saddle, Richey handle bars, seatpost, stem, Cane Creek headset.

Submitted by smurfsvt a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2009

Strengths:    Bike has handled almost anything I've thrown at it. Components are good compared to other bikes in the price range when purchased.

Weaknesses:    Lockout on the fork would be nice for when I ride it to work, pedals can be hard to clip in to (may or may not be something I'm doing instead of the product). Not fond of the green colour, but everyone else seems to be.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. I didn't want to spend too much but wanted a bike that could take my abuse and keep coming back for more. The bike has performed great, and after I put in desert tubes to stop the constant flats I'm having a lot of stress free fun with it. I've had it for around a year, put 700 miles on it, and aside from needing some service and to bleed the brakes, I'm very happy with it.

Purchased At:   Randall Scott

Similar Products Used:   None. Previous bikes were cheap department store bikes that left me wanting/needing more.

Bike Setup:   Standard setup as delivered from Randall Scott, with various accessories added.

Submitted by Tjdunklee a Cross Country Rider from Twin Cities, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2008

Strengths:    Great components for the money. The Tora shock really sets it apart from other bikes within this same price range. Much better shock than the Dart setup on many other brands. Also the Juicy 3 hydraulic brakes work great once you get them adjusted right.

Weaknesses:    No lockout on this version of the Tora fork. Not a huge deal since I mostly ride this bike on Singletrack, but it would be a nice feature.

Bottom Line:
I've been very satisfied with this bike for the amount of money I spent. It took a while for me to get everything adjusted right because I am fairly new to Mountain Biking. This bike has been more durable then most of my riding partners much more expensive rides. I have put it through hell in the last 6 months while taking it riding about 3 days a week. The only problem I have had is a small oil leak at the top of my shock.

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon Hills