Iron Horse Maverick 5.0 XC Hardtail

3.75/5 (4 Reviews)

"This radical bike blazes its own trail without putting wear and tear on your wallet. Lightweight and durable aluminum frame with 100mm of bump-eating suspension provides a solid, smooth ride. Shimano/SRAM components ensure reliable performance and the low maintenance disc brakes offer excellent control and all-weather braking power.

Submitted by GroverTheClover a Cross Country Rider from Boston

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2008

Strengths:    Excellent frame (I was told it's the same frame as the Warrior HT), better value than competitors in the price range, reasonable weight, easy to to grow into by swapping components.

Weaknesses:    Components, especially the Hayes brakes (either on/off, very little "feel" or modulation), front derailleur requires a bit of finagling sometimes to get the chain to move, wheels are heavy, stock tires are pretty awful.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bang for the buck. The frame has taken a few crashes and falls and has held up with no problems. Brakes are okay, but are an easy (and should also be your first) upgrade. The front derailluer requires some finicking before it moves the chain over, the rear dérailleur has proven problem-free. For the most part, the components are on the lower end of the spectrum and will be replaced as they go, but the frame itself has proven very durable and competitive in weight department. Overall, the Maverick is a great canvas to start from and customize if you're a beginner or intermediate XC rider.

Purchased At:   EMS

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock, Scott Aspect, Novara Aspen, Gary Fisher Marlin

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse Maverick 5.0, BB7 brakes, XC Fire Pro

Submitted by illldeca a Cross Country Rider from walton ny

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2008

Strengths:    the frame is very strong

Weaknesses:    stock tires shifters and rims so i swapped em to x7 shifter and deraullers and i swapped the rims to veulta xrps

Bottom Line:
its a good bike just dont think the rims r gonna last and be prepaired to change ur derauller hanger when it snaps lol

Purchased At:   randal scott

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   vuelta xrp wheels x7 shifters deraillers blaze cranks

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Woodstockl, GA

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2008

Strengths:    Frame is awesome. The brakes are good in my opinion. I really like the bike itself. Feels well balanced and able to be maneuvered through terrain.

Weaknesses:    Front and rear de-railers are very sticky, need to be upgraded as soon as possible.

Bottom Line:
Good all around bike for the money and good foundation to build from... I have been biking pretty hard for the 6 months I have had it, the only issue is the de-railers. I just have had an issue with the crank that I need to look into.

Favorite Trail:   Blanketts

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Giant

Bike Setup:   Stock for now. Upgrading f&r de-railers and the forks to Bombers.

Submitted by Candle Jack a Cross Country Rider from Orange county

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2008

Strengths:    Inexpensive, Great Color, strong frame.

Weaknesses:    The components aren't of the highest quality, but I guess that can be expected of an entry level bike. The brakes and shifters work really well, but the front for and the front and rear dérailleurs could be a bit better.

Bottom Line:
This is a great frame, it's inexpensive, built really strong, and it has a really awesome color. If you're just starting out then this bike would make a really good choice. Most of the components on this bike are really strong, though a bit on the heavy side, but for a entry level bike the weight is lower than most entry level bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Fully Loop

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Giant upland, Schwinn moab.

Bike Setup:   I converted my bike into a single speed, and I couldn't be happier.

Need some parts advice on maverick 5.0

Hello my name is Trent i just joined today, Well i just baught a iron horse maverick 5.0 for 200 used and im curious what other then the Derailleurs should upgrade and where can i get a new deraillers for it or parts for it in general? The stock ones seem to be a bit "sticky" if u know what i mean.Read More »

Upgrade Maverick 5.0 or sell and buy Warrior 3.0?

I've put about $100 into my current bike (Actually an 07 Quantum II, but similar to the Mav 5) and the last thing I was planning was to upgrade to a Rock Shox Recon fork (about $150 from ebay) I stopped by my local Performance Bike and they were closing out an 07 Warrior 3.0 for $399 (I got my Quan ... Read More »

More Upgrades Maverick 5.0

I just got a 05 Fox fork for $250 just came back from Fox with new seals I need the adapter for the hayes brakes hopefully tomorrow. Also a Easton stem Next is a seatpost, handlebar and grips oh and most importantly a wheelset What do you is better the High Rollers or XC Fire Pro tires? I hav ... Read More »

upgradeing my Maverick 5.0

This is my first post i am just getting in to mtb my bike is a 07 maverick 5.0. I was given a xt group and rpmlite wheelset, was gonna just buy another frame and do a fresh build but too much $$$ for me right now. So i can't use the brakes and wheels cause the frame doesnt take v brakes... ahhh well ... Read More »

Iron Horse Warrior 3.0 or Maverick 5.5 ???

Not being a mtn. biker, I never heard of Iron Horse until recently when I started to research buying a new bike. I thought I was going to buy an '08 Giant Rincon until I came across a few good deals on Iron Horse bikes. Is there anything you can tell me about the Warrior 3.0? [url]http://www. ... Read More »