Ionic Steelhead XC Hardtail

2.33/5 (3 Reviews)
Weight : 3 MSRP : $750.00

• A workhorse frame with the right balance of weight
  • This new steel features an air-hardened heat-treated process
  • Special butting that help increase the strength and stiffness of the frame without adding any additional weight
  • The Steelhead will deliver a nice supple, forgiving ride with a little extra kick of stiffness for thoughs long hard climbs

Submitted by Don't bother unless you don't mind waiting a Weekend Warrior from Out here, MI

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2005

Strengths:    I don't know I never got one.

Weaknesses:    Took too long to get so I had to cancell my order. If you do order an Ionic, be prepared to wait. Jon said I would have it in about 4 weeks, I cancelled after 8 weeks of waiting. They kept telling me that it was taking time in the paint shop, and other than that it was almost ready to go. I understand that you have to wait for some things some times, but this was ridiculous. If you are going to ship in 5 months, just quote me 5 months. There are plenty of other steel manufactures out there that will ship a lot quicker (Cove for one!). Everyone I have talked to who was dealt with them have all said the same thing. . .wait times are too long, and much longer than they quote every time.

Bottom Line:
Don't order one unless you want one next year. Save yourself the hassel of dealing with Ionic and order a Cove or a Gunner instead.

I would rate them 0 chilis if it were available.

Similar Products Used:   Steel Dean

Submitted by the old guy a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2005

Strengths:    Quality, rigidity

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my previous gripe about delivery (aging while waiting). It was worth the wait John.

The color is Kawasaki Green and is killer with the black decals. I have about 75 miles on the frame. I am 220 lbs, 6'2". The frame is a large. I started with an offset seatpost but now have a straight post with the seat just rear of center with a 100 mm stem, flat bars and 80 mm fork. I find this set up very comfortable for me and the bike feels right with this weight distribution. Contrasting with the Trek hardtail, the Trek doesn't stand a chance. The steel frame shows no rear triangle flex that is noticed on the Trek. It does have the expected spring in the front triangle which feels good - that is the way it should be (steel, you know). The handling response is far superior to the Trek. Turn the front end, give is some power and the rest will follow quickly. The bike sets into berms nicely and moves thru tight S turns with ease. Response to front and aft movement is fast and light.

For the rocket scientists that like to take XC gear and do 10 foot drops then gripe about it breaking, don't even try. This is pure cross country and does an excellent job at it.

Favorite Trail:   Hill Country SNA, Anthills

Purchased At:   Direct from Dean

Similar Products Used:   Currently have a Ventana Pantera and a Trek 8000

Bike Setup:   M960 XT cranks, M761 front der, Sram X.0 rear der, Thomson seat post and stem, Easton E50 bar, Crossmax rims, Maxxis Ranchero exceptions with stans front and rear with a ummmm 2001 Duke fork - waiting for Answer to get it's act together.

Submitted by Aging while waiting from Houston

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2004

Strengths:    none yet

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I ordered a Steelhead frame at the end of August. I was quoted 4 weeks to delivery. In the phone calls to Dean bikes since then, I have been told 3 times that it was on the way to "paint" thus it will be about 8 days before shipping out. The last phone call (2 1/2) weeks ago, I spoke to the owner - John - who assured me that it was still in "paint". He stated that my being angry about this will not speed it up. John, the BS has got to stop.

zero chilies for now and still waiting (doggonit, got to give it at least one chile).

Favorite Trail:   Hill Country SNA

Check out hottest mountain bike products from these brands!