Ibex Bicycles Trophy Pro XC Hardtail

• Factory direct price: $1299

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by EdTom a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2011

Strengths:    Frame looks good (2007 Trophy Pro). Price was good... Seems to have held up thus far. I am 5'10, 185.

Weaknesses:    Dont know yet

Bottom Line:
    Appears to be a solid frame so far. Of all the Mtn Bikes I have ridden, the geometry on this frame is the best. Turns quick and true, handles all I can give it.

Favorite Trail:   City Park

Purchased At:   Ibex

Similar Products Used:   '97 GT Tequesta, '98 GT Av LE (Now this was a good frame), Giants, Treks, etc...

Bike Setup:   Full XTR

Submitted by Mallard4 a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2009

Strengths:    Two-year follow-up review: After 2 years, lots of miles and several crashes, frame still intact, perfectly straight, X9, truvativ, Rockshox components still going strong (one bb replacement, also, Avid replaced sticky-piston Juicys under warranty). Great customer service, e-mail and phone tech advice from Ibex, great customer service from SRAM, too!

Weaknesses:    Novatec hubs still just as heavy, but roll smoothly, even with no maintenance after 2 years. Novatec skewers loosen on every ride now, will replace with Salsas.

Bottom Line:
    I couldn't have found a better bike for the money, or a lot more money. Have since bought another Ibex for my daughter.Also, I was a Shimano guy; my first experience with SRAM customer service has changed that....

Favorite Trail:   lots of 'em

Purchased At:   Ibex

Similar Products Used:   rigid MTB, friends' bikes, test rides of most major brands

Bike Setup:   Reba Race, x9,Elixirs, stylo 3.3, stock Novatec hubs with DS-1 xc rims, other wheels: 2007 FSA xc 300s. Replaced well-worn SRAM 980 cassette with 990.

Submitted by IHCScout78 a Weekend Warrior from Livonia, MI

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2009

Strengths:    Light, tough, perfect fit

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
    I love this bike! I rode last season, a dozen times this year, and it keeps getting better.

The bike is nimble, fits me perfectly, and allows me to shift my weight over the front for climbs and rear for descent/brake. Rizer bar and body postion add a little comfort. I'm starting to believe the shaped chain stays actually do take a little sting out.

The frame is light but tough. Rocks, roots, jumps and the occaisional crash are no problem.

I put Mavic 317 rims and XTR hubs on my old bike. In a season and a half the spokes pulled out of the rear rim and the bearings were grinding in the hub. After the same wear and tear, the wheels on my Trophy Pro are true and spin smoothly!

The only issue I had building the bike was the front brake caliper was so far out of alignment that the wheel could not be installed. Easily fixed, and the rear was perfectly adjusted.

Gear shifting started spot on and stayed that way. I have tweaked the adjustment now, but there was no issues with early rides.

I do find that the chain drops off the small ring on the frame side if I downshift while on the large sprocket in the rear. Can't fix it with adjustment; looks like sprocket alignment or front derailleur position with the truvative crank. Regardless, I just shift to the small ring a little earlier and shifts are clean and crisp and there is no issue with loosing the chain.

The Exiwolf tires are heavy for XC, and I think they a found wire bead version somewhere, but the grip is amazing!

This bike lives up to the advertising! Great spec, great bike!

Favorite Trail:   Maybury

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Marin, GT, Novara

Bike Setup:   As purchased with Reba Race fork, XT with Truvative stylo 3.3 crank, WTB Exiwolf tires

Submitted by Jeston75 a Weekend Warrior from Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2008

Strengths:    Awesome components and look.

Bottom Line:
    This is a fantastic bike. The tires roll well on the smooth stuff while giving good grip through the corners. The Novatec hubs seem to roll extremely smoothly. The rear hub engages well with little slack. This is the fourth Ibex I have purchased for me or my family. I really recommend them as there is nothing else that can come close to the value of one.

Favorite Trail:   Stevens Canyon Trail

Purchased At:   ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Ibex Apogee XT, Ibex Atlas Pro, Rocky Mountain Element 50, Mountain Cycle Rumble, GT Peace Niner

Bike Setup:   Stock with the exception of Crank Brothers Egg Beaters instead of the stock Shimano pedals.

Submitted by aspesisteve a Weekend Warrior from Saratoga, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2008

Strengths:    Great component mix and weight for a relatively low price

Weaknesses:    don't care for the color, if you don't like it, you're out the shipping fee.

Bottom Line:
    being 6'1" with a 33 inch inseam I always felt inbetween Specialized 19"L and the 21" frame sizes. The 20" IBEX is definitely large enough for me - I was surprised at how nicely it stretches me out and how I can keep the seat at the same level as the handle bars.

I understand someone's hesitation at buying a bike through the internet, but for the same component level, you can't find any name bike out there to come equipted like this. You could ding it one chillie for this inconvienence, but it's unreasonable for anyone to ding it more than that unless they run a LBS and realize they can't compete with these prices. Plus the major unknow, the frame, is a think of beauty.

Having a bike with the bling name might help you in re-sale, but it won't save you money up front and it won't make you get up the hill any faster. Some have reported that the hubs are heavy - I don't even know how to figure that out. Total weight for my 20" with pedals is 26 lbs.

I'll report back after I do some serious riding.

Favorite Trail:   Saratoga Gap

Purchased At:   IBEX bikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper comp, trek 8000, gary fisher hkek

Bike Setup:   stock; juicy 7's, Shimano XT, Carbon fibre seat post, RockShox Reba...

Submitted by Bruce Tinsley a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2007

Strengths:    Price, handling, ride, quality durability

Weaknesses:    Hubs still way heavy, but spin like crazy

Bottom Line:
    This is a follow-up review. I think long-term means more than initial impression. After 6 months of hard, often rocky trail riding,8-to 14 miles 3 times a week, front skewer and outboard BB loosened up a little. I adjusted 'em, and have done nothing else but lube it with Ice Wax. I've hit a lot of small trees, fallen too often to count, and while not "hucking" intentionally, have taken some tough drops off the rocks and trails, and this bike just keeps on being ready to go next time. The wheels are still out -of- the-box true, though my tires are worn out. i'll gladly keep replacing them, chain, cassette etc. This thing is bulletproof! For long-term comfort going into my late forties, I'm tempted to pre-order the Ibex full-suspension 2008 Asta (at just 1.5 pounds more), based on the performance of this bike, but am worried that I'd lose some of the incredible climbing performance of this hardtail, which descends as well as my buddies FSs.

Favorite Trail:   Cherokee Park, Louisville

Purchased At:   Ibex

Similar Products Used:   Rigid Paramount MTB, friends' hardtails and full-susp.

Bike Setup:   Stock Trophy Pro

Submitted by Roger a Cross Country Rider from Bethesda, Md

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2007

Strengths:    Looks to have a good list of parts. Price is comparable with other places.

Weaknesses:    Can't see the product before you buy it. I've been riding for years and have help numerous people buy bikes. I think fit and feel is as important as the parts list. If you can't ride it how do you know it's a good bike for you?

Bottom Line:
    If you're not afraid to put down a chunk of change for a bike you won't be able to ride I think it's only a fair deal. Compared to a Gary Fisher, I think I like the Genesis Geometry better.

Favorite Trail:   Crescent

Similar Products Used:   Hardtails, full suspension of all types

Bike Setup:   Prefer Hard tail for light trail riding.

Submitted by Dustin a Cross Country Rider from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2007

Strengths:    Tremendous value and rock solid components.

Bottom Line:
    Take away the value aspect of this bike, which is phenomenal. The bike is just a well rounded hard tail that stands up to any of the big name (Santa Cruz, Specialized, Cannondale). The bike is extremely efficient on the single tracks and has very precise steering. I have had one good spill down a 12' during a 12' climb and I though for sure the frame was going to be dented, nothing except for a slight nick. The fall was becasue of the nut that conntects the handlebars to the seat.

Favorite Trail:   Alafia: Bridges

Similar Products Used:   Caffeine

Bike Setup:   X9, Juicy 7's

Submitted by Bruce a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis, Indiana

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2007

Strengths:    Beautifully spec'd components on a fabulous frame!

Weaknesses:    Hubs a bit heavy, but strong, and spin more smoothly than my Dura-Ace. Also, handles so well that it makes me want to do dangerous things that my wife wouldn't approve of....Bike becomes dirty when ridden every day.

Bottom Line:
    I'm a roadie who hates to say it, but this trail stuff is more fun! Was skeptical of mail order but checked out club forums, reviews. etc. all over the country, and found Ibex to be the one mail-order place that consistently satisfied customers. No LBS bike comes close on price for such high-end components and frame. I'm 5-11", 173 lbs, and this bike (18" frame) feels like it was custom-made for me. On my doctor-type balance-scale, it weighs EXACTLY 25 lbs. with pedals and the aforementioned heavy hubset. Even my dad, a former framebuilder who despises tig welding, is amazed at the quality and beauty of the frame, and those "paddle-shaped" chainstays take up just enough shock, without compromising climbing (I've taken a vow never to go full-suspension).
    A guy at Ibex named Jack spent lots of time on the phone, not hard-selling me, but simply explaining stuff, and even talking about politics after I brought it up, and the tech guy I called after delivery was great about talking me through adjusting my rear disc brake which I was then able to do in about 3 minutes. "Minor assembly" really WAS minor in this case, and I had the bike together and ready to ride in half an hour, using only the tools that came with it! I think I've even converted some of my roadie-only buddies to the Dark Side, and Ibex....

Favorite Trail:   Cherokee Park, Louisville, Ky

Purchased At:   Ibex

Similar Products Used:   '93 rigid Paramount.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Darren a Cross Country Rider from pinckney,mich,usa

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2005

Strengths:    This bike is the shiznit.you cant find a better deal for the money

Weaknesses:    its made in taiwan

Bottom Line:
    this is the best bike I've owned yet. It handles and performs perfectly. the juicy 7's have crazy stopping power(that took a little getting used to). I'm pretty happy with my purchase. If it was made in the U.S. this bike would be over the top for the money.

Favorite Trail:   potowotami

Similar Products Used:   gt zascar, marin, mongoose x 2, giant

Bike Setup:   goto ibexbikes.com

Submitted by Stefan St. Peter a Cross Country Rider from Oklahoma City

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2004

Strengths:    Possibly the best value I have ever come across on a mountain bike. Very high quality with beautifully finished frame. After my first ride, the bike performs like a Swiss watch. The ride is smooth and gives the rider complete control. Even during high speed decents, the bike tracks steadily. I cannot say enough about the quality of this bike, as well as the best customer service I have yet to receive froma bike manufacturer. In fact, when I received the bike on a Wednesday, I noticed that the rear derailler hanger had been bent in shipping. I called Jack at Ibex and explained what had happened. He immediately overnighted me a replacement hanger as well as a spare without questions. I received it the next day as promised.

Weaknesses:    None by Ibex. UPS needs to take more care handling the product.

Bottom Line:
    I challenge anyone to try to find a better value in a bike! Top of the line components and top of the line cutomer care. With this combination, I believe Ibex will continue to build quality, high performance bikes and more satisfied customers. If you are looking for quality, definately go with Ibex! I could not be happier in my decision!

Purchased At:   Ibex Website