Ibex Bicycles Trophy Comp XC Hardtail

• Factory Direct Price: $799

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Jeff from Monterey

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2007

Strengths:    DEAL DEAL DEAL. This bike is very durable and quite enjoyable to ride. It outlasted my mongoose by far. Even if it was meant for cross country, you can raelly ride it "all mountan" or trail riding. It is a very good deal for the price you pay for it. Avid juicy, manitou fork(okay, at least there is lockout), and it weighs in under 30, I think mine weighs 26.5.

Weaknesses:    not really any.

Bottom Line:
    Any Ibex bike is a really good deal. The trophy comp was an exceptional bike, and very durable without being too heavy. Pretty good compared to stumpys or and other brand.

Submitted by Spencer Jackson a Weekend Warrior from Logan, Ut, USA

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2007

Strengths:    This is a solid deal. That's all there is to it. This is a good bike, solid (but not heavy). I've got a few hundred miles on it now and haven't had a problem since I got it dialed in despite a few crashes. It has good geometry: I have the 20" frame and it fits me well. The bike is aggressive enough but comfortably smooth on descent. The 20" a big bike, long wheelbase, but it still wieghs in at 28 lbs with all my gear on it. The red/black color theme is hot! And last but not least THE DISCOUNTS! You cannot get more bang for your buck.

Weaknesses:    The only downside is you can't ride it before you buy., but the benefits far outweigh this. I did have some trouble getting the disc brakes dialed in as I like, but I'm a newb to discs. Also waiting for a week while it's shipping is a drag, but again, worth it.

Bottom Line:
    This is a good competetive level bike. Maybe not the one for you if you're never going to ride it, but if you want to ride a lot, ride hard, and ride fast but not have to deal with the maintenence of pro level gear, this is the one for you.
    I'd been looking at Ibex for quite a while. Everyone seems to rave about them in the reviews but I was dubious. So finally after a few years I needed a new bike and I went for it. They have a satisfaction guarantee, but you won't want to send it back. My dad just bought the Trophy Pro and he had a little trouble with the fork they sent him but the customer service is all everyone says it is. They sent a replacement and really helped him out without any additional charge. I've had no problems. So go ahead: take the plunge, and hit the trails.

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock (of course)

Purchased At:   ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   2001 Trek 8000

Bike Setup:   Stock with Time ALIUM clipless pedals

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Petoskey, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2006

Strengths:    Great price, nice component line-up, great customer service. This is for an '05 Comp Special Edition. Has the Trophy Pro frame, upgraded to xt hubs, lx crankset, and a longer travel fork. It was spec'd to come w/ Ryno Lite rims, but I talked to Jack about those being a bit heavier (I had ordered the Trophy Comp, but it was on backorder,) and they found some very nice cross country disc rims which saved .5 lb (alexrims fd16) Hammer the cranks and this thing accelerates like a rocket. Fork has spring and air adjustability and rebound damping. Frame responds quickly on tight singletrack.

Weaknesses:    Fork makes a squishing sound (is that a weakness? it works like a charm. And the fork is a bit heavy

Bottom Line:
    This bike climbs and accelerates like a champ. Fork responds well and has plenty of adjustability. This is a fantastic price on a bike with a great frame and component set up. I can probably put about a $100 into this bike and have it be around 25 lbs. This a great cross country racer or bike for technical singletrack

Purchased At:   Ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Specialized

Bike Setup:   LX Shifters/ Drivetrain, XT hubs, Alex FD16 rims, IRC Mythos XC Kevlar tires, Avid BB7 Brake, Cane Creek Direct Curve levers, Ritchey Comp Cockpit set, WTB Laser V saddle, Marzocchi EXR Race for.

Submitted by Bloody a Cross Country Rider from Eugene, OR

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2006

Strengths:    Component group is significantly better than it's peers price-wise. Nice frame, good looking welds, strong, nice geometry (confident to ride on).

Weaknesses:    Factory-built wheels needed to be trued up fairly quickly (busted a spoke on flat street riding), but now they're running good. Stock pedals are not the best, but better than the cheesy stock platforms on the bike's competition...

Bottom Line:
    Great-riding bike with outstanding components - best value in a lower-priced non-custom mountain bike out there. The new ASTA looks to be the best full-suspension for the price.. I'm trying to get a friend of mine to buy it for his first real mountain bike. I was very impressed with the customer service. When I switched the components over, my friend who ended up with the bike put on rim brakes to save $$ and needed the brake bosses for the Marzocchi fork.... I called and Ibex sent them out free.. They're $21 a set from the LBS. Buy one of their bikes, they're fantastic values!

Favorite Trail:   Bridal/Crosstown or Dog River

Purchased At:   Ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Cannondale, Ellsworth, Marin, etc.

Bike Setup:   I actually bought the bike for it's components when my old bike was stolen. I switched everything over to an Ellsworth Truth and set the bike up new for a friend of mine. He loves the frame and gets lots of compliments on it.

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Brentwood, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2006

Strengths:    Great frame and components for the money. Rocksolid. Try finding this combination of components anywhere else and you will pay $400-600 more. This deal is a no-brainer! I was looking for a good solid XC hard-tail to last me a long time and was willing to pay $1200 or more. This bike was everything I was looking for.

Weaknesses:    Tires could definately be improved on. But go out and pay $60-80 for a pair of something suitably wider and beefier and you will still be way ahead. Could use a quick-release for the seat. No test ride.

Bottom Line:
    Again, you will not find a better deal anywhere!! If you are looking for a great XC bike with good solid components, light weight, then buy this bike. This bike gets an A+, and I have had many bikes in the past.

Customer service is top notch and they go out of their way to be straight with you.

Favorite Trail:   Any mountain trail w/o people

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Comparable Giants, Marins, Treks, etc.

Bike Setup:   If you know which is the business end of a screwdriver and wrench then you can be riding this bike in an hour. The guys at IBEX will help if you run into any snags. It's good to know how how your bike goes together in case you have a mechanical out on the trail anyway.

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Romulus Mi

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Strengths:    Great bang for the buck. Beautiful welds and paint on frame,Very well equipped for the price.

Weaknesses:    No test rides

Bottom Line:
    Wonderful bike! The quality of the frame and drivetrain is second to none for the money.I had some small assembly issues, namely a front brake cable wrapped around the head tube that had to be untangled. Just take your time putting it together. Ordered the bike on a Tuesday afternoon, on my doorstep Friday morning.I recommend this bike to anyone looking for a high quality hardtail, that doesn't mind their bike not looking like it was painted by a graffiti artist, and that is not afraid to buy online. All in all I cannot recommend Ibex any more highly. Their bikes are absolutely beautiful and at a price that truly is 45% lower than comparably spec'd bikes in you're LBS.

Purchased At:   Ibex online store

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Montare XT

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by paul a Cross Country Rider from pepperell, massachusetts

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2006

Strengths:    value, quality components, low gearing for quick ascents, sharp looking bike

Weaknesses:    no test ride possible, screwball routing of the cables

Bottom Line:
    Terrific value. I was looking to spend around $800 and tried all the aforementioned bikes. I really liked the Trek than went to the IBEX web site where I found that their similar bike was $600 (Alpine 650). I called IBEX and spoke to them at length before deciding to buy more bike for the money (a $1200 bike for $800). Putting it together was easy after untangling the cables wrapped around the headtube. The bike looks great, rides great and shifts smoothly. First time with discs, avid BB's and they really do STOP. It climbs fast and is very stable (the stays flare out). The air shock really soaks up the ruts and tree roots and the lockout is a nice feature for riding on the road to and from the woods. A super bike on its own, and as well as a real deal for someone like me looking for a better bike than entry level without dropping $1000+. As for your local shop giving you the hairy eyeball for purchasing online, forgetaboutit and go to another shop. Gamache's (where I acquired my 2 other bikes) was impressed with my purchase and was happy to have another bike to service.

Favorite Trail:   whichever one I'm riding

Purchased At:   direct from IBEX

Similar Products Used:   trek 6500 disc, gary fisher tass disc, specialized stumpjumper, cannondale 600

Bike Setup:   stock except swapped out the seat from my old bike, put on platform pedals, added a riser stem, shortened the handlebars 3/4 in. each side

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Green Bay, WI

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2006

Strengths:    Great components for the money. Frame. Brakes. Everything.

Weaknesses:    None, yet. Although I had trouble adjusting the Avid BB7 mechanical brakes during the assembly of the bike. I did figure it out on my own, with a little e-mail help from Ibex.

Bottom Line:
    After four months of searching for a new mountain bike( my first bike was a Giant Iguana circ. 1988 which I still use) and trying out many different types I thought I had settled on a Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc for $840. One night searching on the internet I came across Ibex and the rest is history. No LBS could match the quality of components this bike offers for $740. The bike is just incredible. It feels great and rides like a dream. It is everything I ever wanted in a hardtail. I would recommend Ibex to anybody who likes to do their own bike maintenance and loves getting more bang for their buck. I was looking for a little higher end bike that would last for years, I ride 4 times a week for 20 miles each ride, and it fits the the bill wonderfully.

Favorite Trail:   Mountain Bay Trail

Purchased At:   Ibex.com

Similar Products Used:   Giant Iguana.

Bike Setup:   Stock from Ibex

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Snellville, Ga

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    Just got it so can't tell yet

Bottom Line:
    Picked it up a few hours ago. Fairly impressed, comes complete with tools, multitool for the trails, SPD Pedals, touchup paint etc. Only complaint was whoever in Taiwan assembled the bike crossed all the cables.(must be learning how to braid hair in hairdressing school) One of the cables was frayed out of the box, but i have not addressed this with IBEX yet. Small glitch, but I'm impressed so far. Will ride tomorrow morning and report back.

Purchased At:   Ibex Warehouse

Bike Setup:   factory 2006 trophy Comp

Submitted by Tripp a Cross Country Rider from Chattanooga, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2006

Strengths:    Great parts for a great price.

Weaknesses:    No test ride before buying.

Bottom Line:
    The customer service ROCKS! The bike is awesome and comes ready to go. All you have to do is attach the front wheel and handlebar, pump up the tires and you're off. I will recommend these bikes to anyone.

Purchased At:   www.ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock Pro. Raleigh M80. Ibex trophy frame with hardrock pro components. (loved the frame so much that when stuff started wearing out, i just bought a whole bike from them)

Bike Setup:   Before ordering I talked to ibex via email. They swapped out the wheels, tires, and brakes for me. They installed avid digit 7's and v-brake rims at no cost change.

Submitted by Jupe Etheridge a Weekend Warrior from Dayton

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2005

Strengths:    High quality power train, shifting compontents and brakes.

Weaknesses:    Tires are thin (see XC set up comments below)

Bottom Line:
    This is a pure XC bike that is well equipped for the purpose. The fork, tires, and geometry make a perfect match for XC trails. If you want to bomb the downhills or climb like a mountain goat this is not your bike. If you want a fine bike with outstanding components to hit singletrack fast and affordably this is a great bike. I was torn between this and the Motobecane but the promise of good customer service won me over on the Ibex. Shipped almost fully assembled. All I needed to do was attach the handle bars, pedals and tires and was ready to go. If you want a hardtail for under $900 that is rigged for XC go for this one, i doubt you'll be dissapointed.

Favorite Trail:   ceasers creek

Purchased At:   Ibex online

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rock Hopper and Stump Jumper

Bike Setup:   Trophy 880 stock

Submitted by Lyle a Cross Country Rider from Boise, Idaho, USA

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2005

Strengths:    Price, components, Feel, Stability, Control.

Weaknesses:    Only sale online, couldn't test ride it first. But i purchased while deployed overseas so I couldn't test it regardless

Bottom Line:
    "WOW" I love this bike. The last time i rode I had a Haro that didn't have near the components that my IBEX has. This bike is a world of difference. I went riding with a couple of buddies yesterday and i took off and left them and waited at the top of the trail for ten minutes for them to catch up. When they got to the top they told me that most people usually ride down the trail, OOPS. This bike climbs like crazy. One of my friends who has been a bike mechanic for over 15 years put the bike together for me while i was still in Iraq. When i told him the bike i purchased he expected it to have skimpy components. He was impressed and said i did real well. The bike did not come with a quick release seat stem to save weight, i prefer one. I drop the seat to put the bike in the back of my van. The guys at Ibex sent me one for free. What really sold me on the bike was the customer service. All my emails were answered promptly and courteously. I dont think i will ride anything but Ibex for a long time. Oh, and i bought one for my nine year old also. She loves it. I would suggest this bike and have suggested this bike to anyone who wants a nice bike but doesn't want to spend tons of money on it.

Purchased At:   ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Haro

Bike Setup:   See Ibexbikes.com for specs.

Submitted by Martin a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2005

Strengths:    The components, and quality make this one of the best deals around. The geometry and weight are big plusses.

Weaknesses:    The bottom bracket was not greased when leaving the factory. Some of the parts do not hold up well (Shimano hub, cassette).

Bottom Line:
    Note: The bike I actually had is the trophy 650 from 2002. I'm posting this here because this way the review will be seen. This is the closest equivalent in modern production.

After riding the 650 for almost four years with around 10000 miles put on it, the frame near the bottom bracket finally cracked. At around 200lbs, I think I got my money out of the bike. For my style of riding, this was an excellent bike. I have not treated it nearly as roughly as those who go off road, but it has seen many speed bumps, curbs and accidents which sent myself and the bike flying.

I've had to do many replacements of the cassette, crank and chain, which should be expected with any bike. Luckily, I haven't had to replace the derailers. The only fault I have for Ibex is that they didn't grease the bottom bracket at the factory leading to a horrendous squeaking after about a month.

After much research, I like the feel of this bike. The length allows me to crouch down for aerodynamic efficiency and take hills with ease.

My next bike will probably be the Ibex 770 or 880.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   Giant Rainier, Trek 4300, Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   As close to stock as possible. Swapped the tires for a much lower profile slick.

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Arlington, TN

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2005

Strengths:    Great component package- much better standard components than other comparably priced bikes. Frame is well-made and lightweight. Rides great as shipped, and would be a nice platform for future upgrades.

Weaknesses:    Some may consider self-assembly and tuning a weakness. As an engineer, I actually prefer to tinker with it myself so I can make the adjustments to my liking, any time I want. A quick release seat clamp would have been nice, but I guess I'll have to spend the extra $7 to get one. It is a bit of a "leap of faith" to plunk down a lot of money for a bike you've never rode. However, I have been more pleased with this product than any of the other bikes I compared it to- even at prices 50% higher.

Bottom Line:
    The last time I bought a mountain bike was 15 years ago, and I spent a lot of time researching before purchasing this bike. I'm not easily "romanced" into expensive gear, and I tend to view the bicycle as means to an end- the ride itself is the important part. I had strongly considered buying parts and building my own, but I probably would have spent more on the individual parts than I did to buy this bike completely assembled, and the result may not have been as good.
    For a cross country rider that likes to do some of the rough stuff, this bike is perfect. It is comfortable and lightweight; the components are very well matched. The frame seems to be of excellent quality, and will accomodate upgrades easily. Ibex customer service has been generally excellent. To get a bike with all aftermarket-quality components at this price is a true steal. Assembly took me about an hour, and I've since spent another hour or so tweaking and tuning. Given the interchangeability between mountain bike parts, I can't see why anyone with the slightest amount of mechanical aptitude would look past a deal like this. Compared to the marked up products at the LBS, you are getting a much better component package. You could then use whatever money you saved to tweak things to your liking if necessary (longer/shorter stem, different saddle, etc.)

Favorite Trail:   Lakeland Trail

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4000 series, Fisher Tassajara.

Bike Setup:   Completely stock. Frankly, all the components work perfectly and I'll probably only upgrade them as they wear/ break.

Submitted by Robert Rush a Cross Country Rider from Redding, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2005

Strengths:    Overall design, components, design and basic look and feel.

Weaknesses:    Hayes HFX Brakes like to rub which is annoying and noisy. Had problem with bottom bracket but that's what happens when you buy used.

Bottom Line:
    This bike has everything I could want and more. I looked into getting an Raleigh M80, Giant Iguana and a GF but this bike even used and having to spend a little money still is twice the bike for half the price. I would highly recommend this bike and company. Make sure to double check what you are really getting for $600 and then look around Ibex offers great product. This bike may have been a bit much for me but for the $$ I couldn't be happier.

Purchased At:   eBay