Ibex Bicycles Trophy Comp X7 XC Hardtail

• Saddle: WTB Pure V Race
  • Pedals: SPD Clipless

Submitted by MAUI426 a Weekend Warrior from suwanee, ga usa

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2008

Strengths:    price, value for dollar, frame - great for intermediate riders, more bike than needed for beginners

Weaknesses:    crankset, rims

Bottom Line:
value, value, value - great bike for the $$$. crankset sounds like grinding marbles but I'm a heavy rider. also could feel rims start to flex (potato chip) at high speed and under sharper turning pressure - again I'm sure it's due to my weight. decent components for all riding conditions. did i mention great value for the $$$? turns head on the trails.

Favorite Trail:   haven't found it yet

Purchased At:   ibex.com

Similar Products Used:   early 90's Diamondback Topanga HT, Trek 3700 - not really similar but what I have to compare it to

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Garytx7 a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2008

Strengths:    Great frame and components, especially the Tora fork. Love the Avid brakes too. Handles great and really does climb like a goat. Much faster than similar bikes my friends ride

Weaknesses:    Stock rear derailluer hanger. Get the upgrade.

Bottom Line:
Great bike and an incredible value, especially if you are a do it yourselfer. There's no bike shops near me so I knew I would be working on the bike myself. Get some decent tools and learn the bike. The Park Tool website is great for mechanical tips. Have fun!

Favorite Trail:   Lakeway Greenbelts

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Rockhopper, Giant XTC

Bike Setup:   Stock, except upgraded the rear hanger after shredding the stock one on my second ride

Submitted by Jay a Weekend Warrior from Lynchburg, VA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2008

Strengths:    Fork, Frame, derailleur, pretty much everything

Weaknesses:    none that I can see

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome. It beats out the competitors bikes that cost hundreds more, because you don't have to pay for a brand name. The frame is excellent, really light, and the geometry positions you perfectly to get the most power. It climbs great. And it the rock shox tora 318 that comes on it, which normally only comes on really expensive bikes, is amazing. It absorbs everything, and you can lock it with a button on the handlebars.

Buy your bike online, you won't regret it. You can even send it back for a different size if you buy the wrong one.

Favorite Trail:   Brush Mountain (Blacksburg, VA)

Purchased At:   ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Tassajara, Marlin; Specialized Hardrock, Trek whatever, Fuji

Bike Setup:   stock, except I replaced the clipless pedals with normal pedals

Submitted by Pete McAndrews a Cross Country Rider from Goshen NY USA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2007

Strengths:    Awesome spec, good looking piece of machinary, Climbs like a billy goat avoiding rape.

Weaknesses:    Name brand lacks bling factor. Uuuhhh thats about it. If you don't care about bling factor, there don't appear to be any weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
-Absolutely phenomenal handling. Think where you want to go, look, and you are there.
-The fork performes flawlessly. I didn't even realize how well it was working, until I realized that I was just floating over rocky sections, that previously had bounced me around mercilessly.
-The brakes work beautifully. You can modulate them from just barely slowing you, to STOP NOW. I just have to work a little more on set up, cause I prefer a firmer feel at the lever.
-What can I say about the shifting. You push the lever, the bike shifts. Nuff ced.
-I'm not sure how to describe the way this thing climbs. I cleared a couple of rocky uphills that I had never cleared before. I stayed seated for one of them. I'm not sure why it climbs so well, it is not that much lighter than my Hardrock. I think the superior fork helps because it doesn't deflect on rocky uphills. I think the superior shifting helps because you don't lose as much momentum when you shift. I wonder if the geometry is a significant factor?
-Not a huge fan of the bars. They just seem to put to much pressure on the outside of my hands.
-The seat is uber comfortable, even with so few miles on it.

Favorite Trail:   Stewart Buffer Zone

Purchased At:   Ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock.

Bike Setup:   Bone stock.

Submitted by Justin from Escondido, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2007

Strengths:    Everything on the big is good

Weaknesses:    There are no weaknesses that I can see

Bottom Line:
This bike is a complete bike, I don't think I could ask for anything better then this bike.. I looked at many other bikes in the same price range and nothing comes close to this bike

Bike Setup:   6066 Aluminum,Rock Shox Tora 318 Air,SRAM X7...Ect

Submitted by Mike Davis a Cross Country Rider from Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2007

Strengths:    Incredible bike for the price. Nicely finished and great component mix.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
After selling my mountain bikes due to a bout with a brain tumor (no joke) I became a roadie. However, I can't ride a carbon road bike on rails to trails with my wife & daughter so I thought I'd buy an inexpensive hard tail. I did some shopping around stumbled onto the Trophy x-7. It doesn't have a high end name but at 54, I'm over the "see how expensive my bike is" thing. I've built up more than 10 bike from components over the years so I really appreciate how well this bike was tuned right out of the box. Just bolt on the handle bar and snug up the rear derailer cable.
Don't hesitate to buy this bike, it will do all you need and more.

Purchased At:   Ibex direct