Haro V4 XC Hardtail

4.67/5 (21 Reviews)

Haro's V4 boasts a lightweight aluminum frame and Manitou Six fork making it the ideal machine for off-road adventures, cruising through campus and bike-path jaunts. The reliable components from Shimano, SRAM, and TruVativ offer top-notch shifting and braking. Plus, the Kenda Klaw tires are sure-footed on and off road.

Submitted by druelli a Cross Country Rider from Viena/ Austria

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2011

Strengths:    Rock solid Frame. Good Compnents.

Weaknesses:    Nothing realy.

Bottom Line:
I was loocking for a Hardtail for about 1000.- Euros. I have riden some Meridas and Scott Bikes, they all running fine. Then i found a Shop in Germany who sells Haros. At this Point i knewed Haro only from the BMX Scene. I did some research and checked the Net for reviews and was impresst about the positiv meanings about the Bike. So i bought a 2006 V4 about 1 1/2 Years ago. It was new and i get 50% off!!! And it fits like a glove. I use the Bike vor X Country with tricky Trails and Downhills and it works fine. The Rock Shox Judy1 and the Brakes are not State of the Art and i will replace them soon but they do the Job not bad. I ride the Bike with the 18" Frame ( i am 184cm) because i like small Bikes, that comes from my BMX Roots i think. :-). Over all it is a great Bike for the Money with good Components and a rock solid Frame. In Austria the Haros are Underdogs and nearly unknown, so its exclusiv too. How ever, if you find one, buy it!
Thanks at this Point for all reviewers, you all realy helped me to find a great Bike.

Favorite Trail:   Lainzer Tiergarten

Purchased At:   MK- Bikeshop

Similar Products Used:   Merida, Scott, Genesis

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by gabriel a Weekend Warrior from temecula ca

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2010

Weaknesses:    disc brake lining up in front only

Bottom Line:
it a nice looking bike bmx feel to it

Purchased At:   local

Bike Setup:   nice

Submitted by wnc biker a Weekend Warrior from NC

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2009

Strengths:    Frame is effing truck.

Weaknesses:    stock comps could use an upgrade but are good enough to get you rolling

Bottom Line:
The bike is solid and is more than anyone could ask for for entry level. Im 6'5' 210lbs I roll over giant rocks, off camber roots at a pretty good clip. Through creek crossings, over downed trees, off of water bars and into eroded gulleys and into trees. all the while the bike remains solid at a decent price with acceptable maintenance. Change the seatpost to two bolt and the pedals to something else however. so there

Favorite Trail:   Trace Ridge or Kitsuma

Bike Setup:   black frame spd pedalsystem, truv cranks, kenda komodo 2.1, at the moment any wheel that rolls, dart 2, shimano deore deraileurs and hubs and headset, hayes mech disc brakes

Submitted by CarolinaBiker1 a Weekend Warrior from Fayetteville, NC

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2009

Strengths:    Rugged, lightweight design. Strong frame. Cost effective. Excellent quality components.

Weaknesses:    Non-adjustable stem. The seat is a little firmer than I'd like.

Bottom Line:
This is the best mountain bike I've ever owned. It's a hard-tail, which makes it very nimble and fast. The front shocks are phenomenal and I discovered that when I took a jump that was higher than I expected and I went almost straight down on the front tire. The shocks responded perfectly and I recovered control quickly. This bike handles like a far more expensive one and you will be able to keep up with anyone. I've crashed a few times and the bike has held up well.

Purchased At:   Hawley's Bicycle Wor

Bike Setup:   Factory setup, but currently getting an adjustable stem installed and will get a new seat.

Submitted by detfan84 a Weekend Warrior from St. Joseph, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2009

Strengths:    Great Value, very strong. Best bike I've owned.

Weaknesses:    None that I'm aware of.

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome hardtail for the price. I'm about 6'2" and a muscular 250 lbs... I ride it hard and it can handle pretty much anything you are willing to try (and then some). Great for around town and on the trail. One friend that rode it referred to it as a Ferrari (and he rides a Trek). I am very pleased with this bike and will continue to ride it and upgrade parts as money comes along. For now my car is broken so I ride it every day. Would definately buy another Haro. Wish I had more money to buy a full suspension and a 29er (maybe even a road bike).

Favorite Trail:   the earth is my trail

Purchased At:   Cycle and Fitness

Similar Products Used:   GT

Bike Setup:   Stock 06 ( rock shox j1 fork, truvativ crankset, shimano deore lx components, tektro mechanical disc brakes)

Submitted by wglr13mwz a Weekend Warrior from Houston, Texas

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2009

Strengths:    The strength of this bike was the components for me. I had a friend that had started riding and I wanted to get a good entry level bike to join him on the street and trails. The bike was comfortable right off of the show room floor. The seat fit well along with the geometry to my body.

Weaknesses:    Stock pedals, length of seat post and odd size dia. as well. The brakes were sub par although I didnt know it until I bought some different ones. Chain broke first time out.

Bottom Line:
This is a great weekend bike for someone looking to hit some moderate trails and have a bike that they can go tooling around on with friends. I personally use this bike for riding around town. If you are going to seriously hit the trails on this bike, I recommend shanging out the pedals and getting some better brakes. Other than that replace things as necessary.

Favorite Trail:   The Ant Hills

Purchased At:   Sun and Ski

Bike Setup:   Stock bike with upgraded PC-991 chain, PG-980 cassette (broke tooth on orig. one), Juicy Carbon disc brakes, Specialized Rocca Locking Grips, Specialized Rival SL Saddle, and Syncros race platform pedals

Submitted by lil willey a Cross Country Rider from pleasanton

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2007

Strengths:    decent components

Weaknesses:    shocks, seat, frame geometry, rides funny,

Bottom Line:
this bike has some very very big mistake. and the geometry doesn't seem right

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   giant

Bike Setup:   pilots shox, new seat, bars, stem, grips are all new

Submitted by Daniel a Weekend Warrior from Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2007

Strengths:    Great components for the money. Compare the components of this bike to any Trek and you'll realize how much bike you get for the money.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
You can't get a better bike for your money. It's light enough to climb even the steepest hills, descends with ease, and the Dart2 fronts are great for the bike's pricepoint. It's taken everything I've thrown at it with ease. I would highly recommend this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Hamilton Creek

Purchased At:   Sun and Ski

Similar Products Used:   I looked at the Trek 4500 and a similarly priced Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Dart 2 fronts, Deore front and rear derailleurs, Hayes MX-4 disc brakes, Kenda Komoto tires, Weissman alloy rims, TruVativ crank, Candy SL clipless pedals (only thing not stock on the bike)

Submitted by raphael a Cross Country Rider from cali baby

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2007

Strengths:    shifts beautifully, smooth ride good for climing

Weaknesses:    brakes

Bottom Line:
good bike for the money and i liked it alot till i started riding full suspension bikes.

Purchased At:   kens bike and ski

Similar Products Used:   jamis dakar, trek bruiser, kona shred, ironhorse warrior

Bike Setup:   judy 1, lx derailer, deore shifters, 2005 model , crappy disc brakes,

Submitted by Paul McMasters a Cross Country Rider from Tustin, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2007

Strengths:    Very light and nimble. Strong frame.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
I bought the frame brand new on e-bay for less than 75.00. I wanted to build a light weight reliable hardtail for cheap. Turns out this is probably my favorite bike I've ever owned. It weighs 25 lbs. and can handle anything I throw at it. It climbs easy and with care can go down any hill with the best of them. I never had the chance to ride one with all the stock hardware installed because I built it from the ground up. I like the geometry of tis frame. It fits me perfect. The steering isn't too slow or too fast. I've taken it downhill at over 45mph and it never twitched or made me nervous. Great little

Favorite Trail:   Any trail

Purchased At:   E-bay

Similar Products Used:   Used to riding downhill bikes. This my first hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Shimano XTR cranks, derailers, shifters, chain. Rock Shox Reba fully adjustable fork. Thompson seatpost. Protaper carbon fiber bars. FSA neck. Xpedo clipless pedals. Mavic wheels. Shimano XTR rear cassette. Hayes 9 Carbon hydraulic brakes. Obi lock-on grips. Garmin 305 computer.

Submitted by Keith a Weekend Warrior from Ohio

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2007

Strengths:    Looks, strong frame (lifetime warranty), shifters, good components for not so hardcore riding

Weaknesses:    Tektro I/O disk brakes (06 model)- A must upgrade, post clamp is plastic, ask your dealer to put a metal one on or you'll be adjusting your seat height every 5 minutes.

Bottom Line:
A top of the line hardtail bike for the price. Good road to trail (vise versa) exchange. I researched for six months in this price range and this bike was the best buy with these components. Frame is garenteed for life! The disc breaks ('06 model) are bottom of the line and will need to be upgraded, poor stopping time. I don't know what the stock pedels are like because I upgraded to Candy C's and the dealer put them on for me before I picked up the bike (gave me credit for stock pedels). Rock Shox Judy1 are decent forks. Anything on the bike can be upgraded as you see fit. Haro is known for BMX, but builds great MTB's.

Favorite Trail:   too many to list

Purchased At:   A & B Hobbie

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock Comp, Trek 6500

Bike Setup:   stock, pedel upgrade to Candy C egg beaters-clipless, added computer

Submitted by Tzahi Zait a Weekend Warrior from Rehovot, Israel

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2007

Strengths:    Great frame, Rock Shox fork does a great job

Weaknesses:    None that I know

Bottom Line:
Great Bike for its price, I've looked for a long time for that kind of bike. I've tested many bike such as Trek 6000 and 6500, specialized hardrock etc. but none of them gave me such pleasure.I'm riding the bike on trails and I feel GREAT and much important I feel safe with them. All together Haro did a great job THUMBS UP :-)

Favorite Trail:   Be'eri

Purchased At:   Matzman-Merutz

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4500, Gary Fisher Marlin,Specialized Hardrock/rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Stock 2007

Submitted by Michael Harris a Weekend Warrior from Shreveport, LA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2007

Strengths:    Stronge and light frame with decent components for someone just starting out or someone getting back into it. The stock setup makes it easy to upgrade components individually without having to upgrade an entire system.

Weaknesses:    None that I can see for a beginner bike, although I did blow my freewheel. But it was still under warranty and LBS had me up and running in no time.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for me. I love it. I haven't ridden in about 15 years and that was on a BMX. So I've have a little of an adustment period to go through since my old ridding days(the 15 years, new style of bike, and about 50 lbs). I started with a bottom of the line Raleigh, and the components just couldn't take the abuse, and it would have been expensive to upgrade. This bike is great, because it can take the abuse of my BMX ridding style and my weight (which I'm trying to loose)and more. 2 thumbs up!!!

Purchased At:   Bikes Etc.

Bike Setup:   Stock, but I've added Shimano clippless pedals, Handlebar extensions and Bicycle Computer.

Submitted by Andres a Cross Country Rider from Costa Rica

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2007

Strengths:    I think that the suspencion and that it have 9 speeds is very good for the price that it cost

Weaknesses:    The brakes are not very good, but all the other components are all right

Bottom Line:
The bike comes with very good coomponents for it value and the frame is good too, soo is a very good bike.