Haro V2 XC Hardtail

4.46/5 (13 Reviews)

• New Haro V-Gusset 6061 Alloy Frame w/ lower stand-over height
  • RST CAPA T6 75mm travel suspension fork
  • Shimano Easy Fire 8-speed drivetrain w/ Acera rear derailleur
  • Double wall alloy rims w/CNC sidewalls

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by uncletupleo2003 a Weekend Warrior from Chattanooga, TN, US

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2009

Strengths:    Great Ride. Fun to play with

Weaknesses:    Plastic cages on the pedals

Bottom Line:
    Once I took the plastic cages of the pedals, I was homefree. I rode a couple of different "crusier bikes" while in FLA and they gave an aweful ride compared to my bike which is not set up for pavement. If you can find one used, get it. I beleive it has been replaced by the flightline, but that just might a great bike as well.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   East Ridge Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Haro V-4

Bike Setup:   From Bike Shop

Submitted by Art a Weekend Warrior from Hickory Hills, IL ,US

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2006

Strengths:    Solid bike. Can stand up to any type of surface and riding style.

Weaknesses:    Snapped the bottom bracket. Defective part, the guys at the shop took care of it, even though bike was 2 yrs. old

Bottom Line:
    From an old BMX guy looking for the old days:
    Saw this bike in the shop and had to have it! Haven't regretted the desicion. Solid, lightweight bike. Ride this thing everywhere, to work, to the store, on and off trails, can really take a beating. Very smooth, handles great and really enjoyable to ride, that's why I ride it everywhere. Feel very confident riding this bike on any terrain. I highly recommend this bike for everyone except the hardcore advanced riders out there.

Purchased At:   Richard's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback

Bike Setup:   Straight from shop, nothing added.

Submitted by Soren H. a Weekend Warrior from Kutztown

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2006

Strengths:    light tough frame

Weaknesses:    pedals, fork, front derailer, back tire sucks

Bottom Line:
    its a good bike but better with a different setup (fork,tires). fun at construction sites.

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   weavers bike shop

Similar Products Used:   boulder se, old haro escape

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2005

Strengths:    Getting back into biking after a 10 year hiatus. Walked into local bike shop and this bike just jumped out at me. Striking paintwork, disc brakes, solid frame. Deore derallieurs and EF29 shifters pretty slick, and 160mm Tektro discs provide plenty of grip for what are apparently entry level spec. RST gila T5 fork does me fine on rough unsealed roads (I'm 6'4" & 200 lbs). Haven't gotten too rough on the bike yet but its holding up well after 10 months. Didn't ride much over the southern winter, but put about 400km on the bike over a 3-4 month period last summer.

Weaknesses:    Steel cage pedals-had some bad shin injuries from these.
    Had some chain issues when first purcuased bike mainly some dodgy links. Ok now.

Bottom Line:
    For $500 AUD I reckon this bike was a steal. Anyone starting out should seriously consider the V2.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Bike Setup:   Standard. Added cheap wireless computer and a light set. Also bar extensions on handle bars.

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Portland,OR

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2005

Strengths:    Strong frame, I'm 6'5 270lbs and I treat this bike rough. It has held up to everything I've thrown at it.

Weaknesses:    seat isn't very comfortable

Bottom Line:
    Great bike for the money paid and with copelands I got a free year of maintenance. Very lightwieght for the size I have an extra large and it comes in at 27lbs.

Purchased At:   copelands

Similar Products Used:   trek,giant,diamondback

Bike Setup:   stock with flatblocker max tubes (I like jumping and I've pinched a few tubes)

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Hatboro, PA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2005

Strengths:    Great frame, predictable handling, excellent value

Weaknesses:    Pedals, Seatpost/Saddle

Bottom Line:
    I bought this bike to get back into biking after a 10 year hiatus - and I've been quite happy with the value I've gotten out of it.

I tended to be riding this a lot on local streets/roads, so I pulled off the factory tires - they were way too knobby with too much rolling resistance for how I was using it.

The weaknesses I mention include the pedals - which are metal, and will eat your shins right up. I smacked a rock on a easy local trail and the pedal bent way more then it should of.

I've had a lot of problems with the seatpost and saddle including the clamp not holding the seat in, but the LBS fixed that and it's been fine since. The seatpost and saddle have also bent and as far as I know, since I'm the only one who rides it my bike hasn't been in any mega crashes.

Rims/Wheels got whacked out of true real fast due to my aggressive riding up/down curbs and the like (the shortest distance between two points being a straight line and all...) - but they've held up so far and haven't broken on me.

A lot of people tend to diss the fork on this bike but well - it is what it is, entry level. And for someone who hadn't ridden/owned a bike with a front work - it does it's job. Don't look to be flying off dirt jumps with this anytime soon.

All in all, this bike is excellent if you're looking for something entry level to ride on local bike paths or around the neighborhood. I wouldn't take this out on any serious trails - the ground clearance is way too low and I've smacked the pedals/chainring/bottom bracket on rocks/logs too easily. The front fork bottoms out way too easy on even moderately aggressive terrain. I'm 6'0, 210 and my Medium Size frame I bought is a little too small for me - but being able to flick it around makes for a fun ride.

Purchased At:   Pedalpusher Ski & Sport

Bike Setup:   Factory with Club Roost Barends and Kenda Kwik tires - I have this setup for neighborhood road/light bike path riding

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Taunton, MA, US

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2005

Strengths:    Price, great handling, good components, great brakes.

Weaknesses:    Tires, front fork

Bottom Line:
    This is a great bike for beginners. I'm getting back into cycling after a 8 year hiatus and this was a great investment. The bike handles like a dream, will take some punishment and it stops on a dime. My only complaints are the front fork isn't stiff enough for my liking and the tires tend to lose traction on the loose stuff (both of these problems are easily fixable with aftermarket pieces). I haven't had any problems with the componentry.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere...

Purchased At:   Sirois Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Fuji Nevada

Bike Setup:   Currently, stock.

Submitted by dennis a Weekend Warrior from houston, tx USA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2005

Strengths:    very strong frame, fork feels does a good job, brakes work great, shifting is for the most part smooth.

Weaknesses:    sometimes while shifting and applying a lot of torque, shifting isn't as smooth

Bottom Line:
    very solid bike for the price. i haven't gone to any real mtb trails yet but have 100% faith in my bike. for the price its a great bike for beginners and is a good platform for upgrades. had a problem with chain skipping but i think that was because i wasn't careful when loading the bike in my car w/o wheels on. fixed it by bending the stiff link.

Purchased At:   sun and ski sports

Similar Products Used:   magna 10 speed lol

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Sean a Racer from Portland or. usa

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2005

Strengths:    I ve had the bike for two weeks now and I am very happy. I ride alot and im tough on my stuff this frame holds up. I took it on some good rock jumpers and ride it to work and school daily.The comfort for long rides is amazing

Weaknesses:    The derailer but its not the worse one.It will hold up

Bottom Line:
    best by in town. nothing could compare. Haro maks a tough abuseable frame im in love, plus that blue looks sick...Happy trails on this beast.....great for starters or the guy who rides hard to work.

Favorite Trail:   razorline

Purchased At:   copelands

Similar Products Used:   giant,k2,trek

Bike Setup:   I upgraded the derailer and added discs I love the shock

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2005

Strengths:    Lightweight frame, really tough for the price!

Weaknesses:    Like a few other people I have had some pedal problems. The crank arm for the pedal assembly has a tendency to loosen itself over time. This has only occured for me on two occasions in a years worth of riding. Not a big deal though.

Bottom Line:
    A great investment for beginner or intermediate riders. Good for riding on road over long distance(with proper tires) and can handle trails as well. I was hesitant to really beat on this bike off-road when I first got it. The guy who sold it to me tried to talk down it's offroad capabilities, but I was pleasantly surprised when I first took it trail riding. Factory tires and brakes offer good control and the bikes lightweight makes it easy get a little crazy.

Purchased At:   Sun and Ski

Submitted by Joe G***** a Weekend Warrior from Spokane

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2004

Strengths:    For the money... This bike is super Light and is as tough as nails

Weaknesses:    If I had to pick something, I would upgrade the pedals

Bottom Line:
    This bike is the best for the money you spend. The bike shop told me that the bike is a entry level. But two years on it and riding all over the North west, it sure fits me fine. This is the toughest bike I have ever owned!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Hiawatha

Purchased At:   Spoke and Sport

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Giant

Submitted by Will a Cross Country Rider from AR

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2004

Strengths:    Suits my riding style very well. Ride alot in town and some off-road. First mtb for me, but seems to be a very well built bike. Components are not the best, but not the worst having the Shamanio Alivio set up. Love the shifters. Front fork works great for me.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet (hope not too). Had to adjust the front derailer a little, but after that works and shifts great.

Bottom Line:
    I would definitely recommend this bike to anyone who is looking for an entry level bike. Was going to go with the V1, but the bike shop had this one in stock and gave me a great deal on it. It has in my opinion some good upgrades from the V1 or the XC. I have put many miles on it now and love it more each time I ride it. Great quality bike to get started with.

Purchased At:   The Ride

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock XC, Haro V1

Bike Setup:   OEM setup from bike shop.

Submitted by Joseph Almeida a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent component set for the money, RST Capa T4 fork and Shimano Alivio rear der. Very smooth shifting, and light weight from tough aluminum frame. Brakes are awesome, great feedback and power, makes endos very easy! Tires are pretty decent, especially the front and excellent rims. RST fork has good damping with no bounce and is plush. Seat is very comfortable, even on long trips. I was impressed by the smoothness and accuracy of the rapid-fire shifters as well. Paint is very nice and gives the bike a high quality look.

Weaknesses:    The rear tire was a little out of its league in extreme climbing on loose surfaces. I also had 50psi in it so that may have been part of the problem. The fork was slightly too firm for my weight (135lbs) even with the preload turned all the way down (soft). This wouldnt be a problem with heavier riders though. I ended up trying a RockShox Jett but was unsatisfied with its apparent lack of rigidity (flexing in tight turns). The RST went back on and no more flexing.

Bottom Line:
    I hauled ass on this bike everyday 30km from house to college and back until 2 wankers stole it from its parking spot outside the school. I would buy it again in a second If I had an extra $440cdn lying around. I didnt shop around for different bikes before I bought it. I have since looked at other bikes/brands and no one comes even close in value for the money as Haro does. An excellent choice for the begining rider or intermediate rider alike.

Favorite Trail:   Waterfront Trail etobicoke-ex

Purchased At:   Lakeshore Cycle & Sports (cdn dollars shown)