Haro V1 XC Hardtail

• Stainless Steel 14g spokes

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by jesterz99 a Cross Country Rider from ny

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2011

Strengths:    Frame is great. the parts with it are ok and never broke on me.
    price... frame

Weaknesses:    parts

Bottom Line:
    As a whole bike have rode it for 5 years hard, no problems.

Thru the years have been upgrading the parts , The frame is the keeper here,

And it brings me back to my bmx days, rode a torker as a kid and haro came from torker.
    frame .. frame... frame..

Favorite Trail:   calv

Bike Setup:   haro v frame , titec bars, etc.....

Submitted by Ricky a Weekend Warrior from South Carolina

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2009

Strengths:    This bike is very light. Shifts through the gears well. Frame looks awesome, due to the design and paint job/graphics.

Weaknesses:    The only thing on my V-1 that I have found to be a weakness is the fork. Its crap. But then again, I have put it through a dump-truck load of abuse. It works..but it has alotta flex. And it should come with disk brakes. THAT would be a nice touch.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is well worth the money I paid for it. The first time I rode it in the parking lot...I knew right from the get-go that this bike had my name it. The light-weight frame, rather good parts. The rims are great, even with the turns I do while locking the rear brakes and the stoppies I do from time to time. My uncle has a GT thats rather nice. The first time he saw it, he said "How about you just leave the Haro here and take my GT home?" I'm like.."Naw man." But hey, if you buy this bike, you won't be let down. It has yet to let me down. Its a solid bike that has held up to everything I threw at it. From some downhill rideing (with alot of rocks on the way down..) to some jumping. This is the best bike I have EVER owned, hands down. Even though I'm 19 years old, I've been through alotta bikes, and this one chews them all up and spits them out.

Favorite Trail:   The trails around my house, made by dirtbikes and 4-wheelers.

Purchased At:   Bike To Nature

Similar Products Used:   None, when it comes to this caliper of bike.

Bike Setup:   I've got Specialized Hardrock wheels (comes in a set), and Avid BB7 disks, front and rear. Other then that, the bike is stock. Two LED headlights and a small red LED in the rear, for night rideing.

Submitted by Pat a Cross Country Rider from Pine Colorado

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2008

Strengths:    Pretty industructable, Price point, climbs great with new wheels and tires

Weaknesses:    Wheels are junk, poor shifting

Bottom Line:
    I have used and abused this bike for the past 4 years about 6000 miles a year. With a little maintainance and new wheels it did all that is asked.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail/Buffalo Creek

Purchased At:   Gynans

Similar Products Used:   K2 Zed

Submitted by PAbiker a Downhiller from New Holland, PA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2008

Strengths:    Incredibly strong, cheap, good components for the price, very balanced feel

Weaknesses:    "suspension" fork is very lame

Bottom Line:
    I took this bike off drops, jumped it a lot, and took it down very gnarly trails, and it held up very well except for the back axle (I broke it three times till I upgraded the rear wheel). The newer ones have a different wheel and they hold up much better. Fun to ride, and handles very nicely. Don't expect this bike to perform like an expensive bike, but for the money its pretty good. Buy this bike if your on a budget.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Barn

Similar Products Used:   Giant rincon

Submitted by Zachary Moore a Cross Country Rider from JC, MO

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2008

Strengths:    Near bullet-proof lightweight aluminum frame at a fraction of the cost of boutique brands. Easily upgradable.

Weaknesses:    Little flexy in the BB area. Otherwise none.

Bottom Line:
    Second favorite bike next to my old C-Dale. I've looked at upgrading the frame on several occasions and haven't yet been able to do it for the sake of how well this baby handles, climbs and not to mention the extra grand or two I have in the bank that could have been spent only to try and impress the same guys I blow by on the trail on their $2000-$3000 bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest

Bike Setup:   Avid BB7, Manitou Magnum forks, WBT Speeddisc rims, LX hubs, otherwise stock and under 24 lbs!!!

Submitted by gage a Downhiller from springfield, oregon, usa

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2007

Strengths:    nice strong bike. built tough.

Weaknesses:    none really

Bottom Line:
    nothin really

Favorite Trail:   ridgeline

Purchased At:   hutches

Bike Setup:   king pin front forks 8 in travel disk brakes suspension neck. shimano carbon fiber rims

Submitted by dave a Weekend Warrior from us

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2007

Strengths:    good bike to get into mountain biking. i've takin this bike through black diamonds and it rides well for the price of the bike

Weaknesses:    the drivetrain isnt the greatest and is a little slow shifting but you cant expect much for the price. also the derailleurs loosen about every other time on the trails from being jolted around.the stock tires are junk enough said. and the mozo 30a fork is a sorry excuse for a fork.

Bottom Line:
    great bike for the price.i bought this bike used from a bike shop that rented it out on the virginia creeper trail and everything works like new. i dont think you can find this good of a bike for the price

Favorite Trail:   Rockcut at steele creek

Purchased At:   adventure cycles

Similar Products Used:   scott reflex

Bike Setup:   replaced the stock tires and hoping to replace the fork [any suggestions for a good fork] also want to replace some drivetrain components and i'd also like to replace the v-brakes with some avid juicy brakes but a little out of my price range

Submitted by Jason Wachenschwanz Wachenschwanz a Cross Country Rider from Athens, OH

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2007

Strengths:    Great strong frame. Light Bike.

Weaknesses:    Crappy Omni Shocks. Poor Kenda Tires. Weak handlebar, bent on first crash. Gears aren't the greatest.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great bike to start out with, especially for the price. It's definitely a bike you'll have to upgrade as you get better and braver. I'm looking to add some clipless pedals and replacing gears and bottom bracket soon.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hope, Copperhead Trail

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   Giant Boulder

Bike Setup:   Replaced Omni shocks with Rock Shox Tora. Replaced handlebars with Crowbar handlebars. Ouri grips.

Submitted by Michael a Downhiller from Avon, CO, US

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2007

Strengths:    i'm average height and got the 15 inch frame. Set it up with burly components all around and dirt jump/race the heck out of it. Seems to be holding up to all the abuse i can throw at it. Super low top tube, makes the bike very manueverable and easy to throw around in the air.

Weaknesses:    I just am using the frame and i haven't found any weakness with it. If it ever breaks i guess that would be a weakness, but it's working good right now.

Bottom Line:
    Good bike to fart around on. Not exceptionally lightweight, but still lighter than cro-moly. Good bike to mess around on. Not really flashy but great for the price. (free for me) Don't buy it if you wanna impress anyone, but do buy it if value is high on your list of priorities.

Favorite Trail:   Eby Ranch

Purchased At:   buddy gave me it

Similar Products Used:   Old School trek 830 AL used to be the dirt jumper, but it was 18" and i wanted something smaller!

Bike Setup:   Bighit bars, ODI lockons, Tecktro mechanical disc, WTB DX23 wheelsets, Manitou minute 1:00 fork, sram x.5 shifters/derailleur, Mr. Dirt Chainguide system, Road bike speed cassette, kenda k-rad tires.

Submitted by Sean Larson-White a Racer from Mahwah, NJ

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2006

Strengths:    bullet proof fram nice paint job ok fork, easy to wheelie.

Weaknesses:    bad shifting, bad seat, bad brakes, needs new grips.

Bottom Line:
    I think it is pretty good for the money you have earned. Great to get into the sport of mountain biking. Do not purchase if you are not willing to buy parts as they break.

Favorite Trail:   Cannonball Trail

Purchased At:   Ramsey Bike and Ski

Similar Products Used:   2003 Haro V1.

Bike Setup:   stock, will upgrade fork. upgrade brakes to disc brakes. upgrade handle bar to FUNN Fat Boy

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, rigid frame. Stellar looks with the Black and Silver graphics. Great geometry.

Weaknesses:    Cheesy crankset with riveted chainrings, cheap bottom bracket. Horrible Kenda tires that were out of round when new. RST forks are too soft (I'm 170lbs) and boingy.

Bottom Line:
    With it's sturdy, lightweight frame, this is a good entry level bike worthy of upgrading as funds permit. I upgraded the bottom bracket, ditched the riser bars and added some tires that are actually round and have some grip. Next on the list is as set of forks. I didn't have $700 to shell out on a new bike, so I was looking for something with a quality frame that I could upgrade over time. Overall. I'm happy with this bike.

Purchased At:   Used, on craigslist

Bike Setup:   Kore stem, flat specialized carbon handlebar, upgraded saddle, Bontrager tires

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from Bozeman, MT, US

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2006

Strengths:    Great starter bike, good price, excellent frame and my girlfriend approves of the colors on the frame. Great bike for around campus and even some trails.

Weaknesses:    It's not light, it's obviously not a bike for a serious rider. Toy fork, expendable components.

Bottom Line:
    This was an excellent investment for someone just getting back on a bike after 12 years. I have a big hit bianchi hardtail with about $1400 put into it and it was a bit intimidating for her to ride. This was something she felt comfortable with, liked it because it was "pretty", and can grow into it if she gets into cycling. She can ride it to campus, and all around our fairly small college town, and out on some less technical trails with her friends or myself. The mix of components is fine for getting started, and the frame is one that you can "grow into" by replacing things like the wheelset, fork, shifters, derailleurs, even disc brakes - although buying a new bike at that point makes much more sense. I highly reccomend it to someone just getting into the sport.

Favorite Trail:   local trails