Haro Flightline XC Hardtail

• Hubset: Alloy 7 speed cassette hubset
  • Front/Rear Brakes: Tektro Direct Pull w/ linear spring

Submitted by Gregon2wheels a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2013

Strengths:    Good strong frame with good welds. Looks like it was made on the same production line as the Haro adult bikes.
Good fit for a 10 year old child with enough adjustment to last him until he is tall enough to switch to the wife's old Rocky Mountain.
Easy shifting.
Nice rear derailleur protector.
Name brand shifters, rims. Durable components.
Comfortable seat for 1 - 1.5 hour rides for my son.

Weaknesses:    Bottom of the line Shimano shifters.
Durable = heavy. This is a small bike to weigh 28 pounds.
Gearing too high for kid to ride up steep hills.
Minimum suspension travel. It will take the edge off dropping off curbs, but that's about it.
Wheels are constantly going out of true. The shop can't tension them enough to keep them true.

Bottom Line:
My son has gradually moved up from 12" to 16" to 24" wheels. He has been very happy with this bike for about 2 years. It should last him until he's tall enough to comfortably fit an adult small frame.

The frame is well built. Components are durable. Most of them are name brand, but bottom of the line.

It's a little expensive for what you get, but it can last for years.

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Submitted by inlikeflynn2013 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2013

Strengths:    Price, Frame, 100mm Travel Fork (2013 Haro Flightline Two;26er), Saddle (comfortable)

Weaknesses:    Front Derailleur, Front Brakes (Caliper)

Bottom Line:
Riding Skills - Intermediate / Trail/Terrain - Advanced

the 2013 haro flightline two;26er retails at $470, with that said, you get a lot for the price compare to other brands. 100mm travel fork, front and rear mechanical disc brakes, front and rear shimano altus derailleur, comfortable saddle, good threaded tires and a reputable company.

after replacing the grips, saddle AND seat post with lighter ones, my bike weighed at 28 pounds. my bike is a 15" frame that weighs 29.5 pounds (stock) comparing to my friends kona kahuna 18"frame;29er, with hydraulic brakes that weighs 29 pounds (stock), then again his bike is $1200 and mine i bought for $420 out the door.

didn't really like the mechanical brakes on this bike..only one caliper pushes the rotor inward and it made my front rotor bend. the front derailleur, will hit the chain if i am on 2nd gear front and 4th gear rear, maybe it just need adjustments?

Duration Product Used:   3x/week - 4months

Purchased At:   Bicycle John's (Nort

Submitted by Fred

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2012

Strengths:    Size, weight, comfort, maneuverability, quick release lever adjustable seats a plus!!,

Weaknesses:    Tires are not the best

Bottom Line:
At 5'4" I am a short adult and wanted the most comfortable bike for everyday street and trail riding, and I wanted a known brand. Bob Haro is the godfather of BMX so I figured why not buy one of his mountain bikes. I love my flight line and actually bought two to ride with my wife and kids. It is a kid's bike but the bike mechanic assured me that for my height, weight and type of riding this bike was a perfect fit for me and my family. If you're not too tall and just looking for a comfortable bike this kid bike may be the perfect fit for you

Submitted by nikola

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2012

Strengths:    Really strong frame,good fork ,great grip and really easy to control, adjustable brakes and fork.

Weaknesses:    the rims are easy to bend and i wish the fork had 100mm travel

Bottom Line:
this is an awesome bike,really good and easy to control.brakes are very good and easy to adjust.i have been doing some serious jump with the bike and it was really good and no damage was made to the bike.really easy to wheelie or manual.needs double wall rims,that is the only bad thing.the fork can take much damage and still work fine but i wish it was 100 mm travel or more(the bike would look even more awesome). Very very good bike i recommend it for everyone.

Submitted by Daniel Baldwin a Cross Country Rider from ewing nj

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2011

Strengths:    shifts very clean,good fit

Weaknesses:    the only thing i had to do was clipless pedals,also bigger knobbies on my tires i ride alot of mud

Bottom Line:
im a bigger guy,i ride this bike in all kinds of trails and it is doing well,

Favorite Trail:   mercer co park

Purchased At:   economy bike shop ha

Bike Setup:   mostly stock,just clipless pedals ,maxxis 2.35 on the front,speacialized 2.25 on the rear

Submitted by Strombat a Weekend Warrior from Troy, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent fit and finish. High quality hardware. Very cool paint scheme compared to other kids bikes.

Weaknesses:    Just picked it up today and have no complaints.

Bottom Line:
My 6 year old hopped on with no prior experience with hand brakes and shifter and was using both with no problem right away. The bike is a huge step up from the Trek Jet 20 because it has front suspension and the shifter. The shimano hardware is really high quality for a kids bike. My boy rode a Trek Jet 16 from age 3 to 6 and we very very happy with it except it was soooo heavy, that swayed me from buying another Trek.

Favorite Trail:   Stoney Creek

Purchased At:   Town and country bik

Bike Setup:   Hardtail kids 20

Submitted by sbsufo a Weekend Warrior from Niagara, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2011

Strengths:    Saddle is branded as Pivit but underneath its actually a Velo. Good frame geometry. Disc brakes are amazing even under water.

Weaknesses:    Suntour fork very spongy even when locked out. Disc brakes squeal when wet.

Bottom Line:
Paid $400, got a helmet thrown in too. Performs like my old 93 bear valley SE for less than half the price. Bought it for light trails and ended up riding rocks, mud, water. Bike takes everything I throw at it and still works. Front derailleur stops working when full of mud but show me one that doesn't. Great entry level bike.

Favorite Trail:   The last one

Purchased At:   Local dealer

Similar Products Used:   Marin bear valley SE

Bike Setup:   Stock with Wellgo WPD-95B pedals and Deus Raceface bar.

Submitted by Loganay a Weekend Warrior from Texas

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2011

Strengths:    Does work... It handles nicely and takes a beating for sure. Components haven't given me fits (yet) and I push it to it's limits... Great on downhill rocky sprints too!

Weaknesses:    Dart 2 isn't the best and the stock tires could be upgraded...

Bottom Line:
It takes a beating and gives a beating... Has handled everything I have put it through which is more I can say for my body... Two thumbs up for sure...

My friend has a giant and enjoys riding my bike more and always asks to trade... Speaks for itself...

Favorite Trail:   Cameron and other local parks

Purchased At:   LBS in Austin

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by joe a Weekend Warrior from grand rapids mi.

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2011

Strengths:    great for paved road flat trails.front shock works good.

Weaknesses:    wheels,rear derailuer,brakes.I have replaced all of these already.I had to adjust the brakes every ride.trued up old one to many times.

Bottom Line:
Bike is o.k. for roads.All I can say is ugrade when u can.I would tell poeple to save their money for something else.

Favorite Trail:   yankee springs

Submitted by GOTA a Weekend Warrior from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Strengths:    For an inexpensive bike it really works. The frame is nice and long so you don't get that cramped feeling you get with other bikes. Components are solid enough to work right out of the shop

Weaknesses:    Weight...which is what you get with cheaper bikes. Toss some of the alloy parts and it feels a lot better on climbs

Bottom Line:
Good entry level XC bike. Solid components for the price on a nice frame. Looks good too. Haro did very nice redesign on the Flightline frame. It's worth paying up for the Sport from the 1,2,3 series if you are looking at rocks, roots and some serious banging around in XC. I've even thrown some slicks on it for some fun hilly road riding. For the money I'd buy this again.

Favorite Trail:   Huntington

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Durango

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Holzfeller stem, Thomson Elite seatpost, Easton EA70 Monkey Bar.

Submitted by smerdakof a Cross Country Rider from Black Hills, SD

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight.
Easily adjusted as child grows.
Accepts nearly all adult parts and mods (rear hub & front shock are exceptions).

Weaknesses:    Front shock is cheap and too stiff for a child under 60#s.
Rear hub only accepts screw-on freewheel cassettes. The 28-14 ratio is not acceptable here in the Black Hills.
The brake lever pull-length-set-screws are too short.

Bottom Line:
Great light weight bike for my son. He now has the confidence to ride the single track here in the Black Hills.
I have yet to find a decent front shock for a 24" bike. It seems that the big shock companies marketing department personnel do not have kids. The hub/cassette thing is not that big of a deal - for most kids it rocks. The set screws were annoying - nothing that $1 at Ace HW couldn't fix.
I highly recommend it over the all the other offerings for 24s unless you can find a well kept used Rocky Mountain Edge 24.

Favorite Trail:   Tinton - Old Baldy - DakoTA Ridge

Purchased At:   Cranky Jeff's

Similar Products Used:   Replaced a rigid 35# 6 speed Huffy

Bike Setup:   Crank Brothers Candy Cs, Shimano freewheel hub w/a Sram 32-14 cassette (added an inch to the chain). Avid Wrangler brake pads. Water bottle cage.

Submitted by Got Wheelz? a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, California

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2010

Strengths:    -Decent weight for the price
-Decent compontry for the price (bonus for all shimano deore)
-Strong frame
-Comfortable enough for a cruise around the block, yet durable enough for whatever you throw at it.

Weaknesses:    -Pedals
-Handlebar
-Stem
-Crankset (Atleast on my bike. Broke shortly after I bought it.)
-Seat

Bottom Line:
I have to admit that I love this bike. I was looking at getting into mountain biking especially since where I work sells bikes, so I was set. I talked to the guy who works in the bike shop and he told me for my first time bike this thing is the way to go. The components are great, the bike is responsive, strong, agile, and light. I ride this thing atleast three times a month and every time it still feels like its my first time. I just got into using clip less pedals and it makes this bike seem like a different bike now. I feel like this bike puts so much more down to the trail then before. If you have a chance to get one, get it. You won't be disappointed.

Bike Setup:   2009 Haro Flightline Comp
-Shimano M-520 Pedals
-ODI Extreme Tech Grips

Submitted by azonic_alex a Cross Country Rider from Colchester, UK

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2010

Strengths:    Very nice frame - well built and strong, nice parts all round especially LX rear mech, Hayes MX4 brakes and Shimano M442 crankset. I also love the fools gold colour scheme.

Weaknesses:    Cheap Wellgo pedals creak sometimes and the reflectors have come loose and make a clicking noise while pedaling (minor). WTB saddle has also started creaking even though the post is tight.

Bottom Line:
I am very impressed with the bike for the price I paid. It is very solid and feels stable when riding. I have so far done about 800 odd miles mainly road and some XC stuff. It has taken everything I have ridden and still looks mint. I intend to keep it until most of the parts are worn out.

Favorite Trail:   New Forest trails

Purchased At:   Rutland Cycling Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Various hardtails I have owned in the past

Bike Setup:   Stock as I haven't needed to change anything so far. I am happy with the parts fitted as they are worth more than I paid separately.

Submitted by Drosas a Weekend Warrior from Pflugerville, TX 78660

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2010

Strengths:    Strong sturdy frame. Nice components for the buck comparing to what you get from other brands in this price range.

Weaknesses:    The Dart 2 Shock has issues from what I have heard. I was told there is a recall for it so you may be able to get that replaced or fixed if it's still under warranty free of charge.
Mine worked fine but I went ahead and upgraded after 3 months.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! Due to a recent knee injury, I won't know what kind of beating it can take until I get surgery but if it's anything like my old Haro and what everyone's been saying, sounds like it can handle anything I throw at it.
After a year of researching, I found that this bike has the best all around components for the bucks when comparing what you get with the other brands in this price range.

I highly recommend this bike for anyone wanting a good solid bike to take to the trails.

Purchased At:   Sun and Ski Sports