GT Zaskar Re-Issue XC Hardtail

return of a classic

Submitted by mik_git a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2010

Strengths:    Light, handles great... looks awesome

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I love this bike(so far)!
I had always wanted one since i started riding in '92. when these came out I had to hae one, but they didn't come to australia (boo), so hard to get, but then it was on sale at wiggle, i would have paid the full price, just to have one. I could have gotten an old one (and probably still will when funds are available) but with this, 1) its new, 2) has dics tabs, 3) run a 100mm fork. So its good for modern day parts.

It sat in the box for a year till I got the cash to build it up and then I swapped out some parts from my yeti, wow it was twitchy, too twitchy for me, but another swap of a longer stem from another bike... Brilliant!! for me its how the Yeti isn't (which wasn't bad at all). This thing rails DH (for my small ability) like I have never felt since my manitou DH bike, climbs fantastic, is light and i was dreading how harsh it would be, but it isn't its just loverly.

So, so far so good. If you can find one, buy it.

Favorite Trail:   the fun ones

Purchased At:   wiggle

Similar Products Used:   yeti ARC

Bike Setup:   RS Duke Race 100mm, XT everything

Submitted by bitpusher a Cross Country Rider from Tokyo, Japan

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2010

Strengths:    Came in a collector's box with extra decals. Frame is beefy with fat honking welds and a nice Made in the USA sticker to impress all the ladies.

Rolls nice and tight like a hardtail should.

Weaknesses:    Tire clearance is kind of sad for this bike. My old avalanche fit 3" IRC Missiles and rolled through anything. This guy came with 2" Michelins that are barely clearing the rear stays! I know it is a XC bike but I mean clearance for a 2.5 would be nice for the snow at least.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, looks good, rides good, feels good man.
Just wish it had slightly more tire clearance, but hey, it's a XC bike right?

If you can still find one new, it's worth it just to have a shiny shiny Zaskar.

Favorite Trail:   The on in the woods with all the dirt and trees

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop you

Similar Products Used:   '98 GT Avalanche
'00 Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Full XT, DX pedals, Easton EA90 bar/stem

Submitted by TITUSIBIS a Cross Country Rider from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2009

Strengths:    Clasic Look, light enough for long ride and jump start. I use it for uphill, okay for 2hr uphill ride. Good handling for drop off.

Weaknesses:    Seat stay gets too high(compare to my Tranny) make me nervous when goinglay back

Bottom Line:
Don't expect magnificant performance, it's not a carbon frame after all. AS GT fans since 80s, it is classic enough to refresh your memory. It's hundred percent on par and probably one of the best Aluminium frame in the market.

Purchased At:   wun pan

Similar Products Used:   Ibis Tranny

Bike Setup:   Crank: Truvativ Stylo 3.3 Wheel: DT Swiss EX4.4 Rim 240s Hub, Hope 60mm Stem, FSA Headset, Truvative carbon handle bar, X9 groupset, Juicy7 brake, Manitou R7 Fork

Submitted by bordercollie1 a Cross Country Rider from Sussex, England

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Strengths:    This is a GENUINE hand made in the USA mountain bike (By Sapa in Portland where Turner bikes are made) and it reminds me of mountain biking as a kid in the early '90s. I have number 103 of 500 made. MBUK used one to celebrate their 20th anniversary. Hans Rey has one. All this makes me try a bit harder to beat my mates on uphills.

Weaknesses:    The canti bosses were an afterthought. None of the marketing images show canti bosses and they look quite messy on the otherwise neat seat stays. I guess that GT wanted this to appeal to fans of the original who would want to run old brakes. The tyre clearance at the back (mud clearance in the UK) is quite poor (like the original) so you can's run fat rear tyres. GT have used an internal headset when this frame is crying out for a Chris King Aheadset. I read complaints from other Zaskar re-issue customers that there were quick release marks on the rear drop outs but this is just the clamp from the frame jig in the factory. Remember guys, this frame is hand made!

Bottom Line:
I paid £420 for this in the UK and I think that is pretty good value for a performance frame. If you value the 'hand made in the USA' badge and like the fact that it was a limited edition run of 500 frames then I think it would still get 5 chillis for value with the original £800 price tag

Performance wise this is a typical aluminium bike. It is light and stiff. It is the same weight as my old Stumpjumper M4 frame but it feels more responsive when sprinting and climbing (could be my imagination). Frame weight was 1700g which is about right for a burly aluminium frame.

If you see a tall guy on one of these on the South Downs Way or at a race in Hampshire / Sussex then give me a 'cool bike mate!'

Favorite Trail:   South Downs Way

Purchased At:   Wiggle

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper M4 (91 Hardrock,'92 GT Karakoram and '93 Kona Cinder Cone 'in the day')

Bike Setup:   XC Race bike; Zaskar Frame Large, Magura Durin Race 100R forks, XT/717 wheels with Stans, Thomson post and 120mm stem, Easton EA70 Monkey bars, ODI Ruffian grips, original Flite saddle. Different tyres every week at the moment.

Submitted by Nick from Prague, Czech Republic

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2008

Strengths:    nice looking frame with fat weldings, comes in "gift box" with certificate signed by the welder and 3 sets of decals

Weaknesses:    the frame arrived scratched, decals applied unevenly, there are wheel/skewer marks on the rear!
the headtube milling is a desaster, not centered at all, the bearings would never run smooth.
the originally communicated weigth of roundabout 1100-1200g is not true: my frame has got 1740g, size M

Bottom Line:
GT made a big deal of the Zaskar 20th Anniversary re-Issue Frame, calling this thing exclusive and cult.

What you get is a poorly finished and certainly overpriced, average frame.

For GT fans like I am, this is a huge disappointment. Stay away from this product, rather buy a regular Zaskar frame.

Favorite Trail:   many...