GT Zaskar Expert Disc XC Hardtail

• Frame: GT design hydroformed Kinesis Superlight custom tube-set Machined Head tube
  • Fork: RockShox Recon 351 Air fork with 80 mm of travel
  • Saddle: SDG Bel Air
  • Seat Post: SL Alloy Micro adjust

Submitted by Yaro a Cross Country Rider from Kiev, Ukraine

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2009

Strengths:    Light, fast, shock-absorbing (by frame!), great tires, strong seat post, great handlebar, cool colors, hydraulic brakes

Weaknesses:    Shimano Deore LX - all bad, especially hydraulic disk brakes chew all the time; Deore LX rear hub was broken once and never performed as good after several repairs; Deore LX hubs use threaded surface to set on the frame - you have to adjust disk brakes after every tube patching. Rock Shock Reba broke less then in 1 year (now repaired). WTB Saddle was a nightmare.

Bottom Line:
It was a lot of pleasure for the year I have it. But also a lot of repairs and upgrades. Saddle broke first (Kudos WTB!), then after several attempts replaced by Specialized Phenom LX. Shimano Deore LX disk brakes are permanent headache (plan to replace). Chain was replaced to some SRAM PowerLink, because I have to wash the chain - I ride cross country on it! Also note that Rock Shox Reba require maintenance at least half a year if you want to see it healthy.

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   Local GT dealer, "Dr

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanche 3.0

Bike Setup:   The same as in catalog, 2008 yr model

Submitted by dan711 a Weekend Warrior from DFW, TX, U.S.

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2009

Strengths:    Bike is light, good components

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This bike is lighter than my previous Rockhopper. I can manuever better on it. I love the sleek black paint with black rims and tires. I gave it an overall rating of 4. I haven't been ridding long enough and tested enough bikes to give this one a 5 chili rating. Great price on a 08' closeout.

Favorite Trail:   any