GT Zaskar Carbon Pro XC Hardtail

• Spokes: Mavic, straight pull bladed spokes
  • Chain: HG-73 Nine Speed

Submitted by Vis-Vreter a Racer from Stellenbosch

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2011

Strengths:    strong wheels, light and comfortable saddle,

Weaknesses:    the bike is to heavy for the price (11,13KG or 24,54lb) and after 2 years of racing the frame cracked down the middle of the top tube.

Bottom Line:
I when to my local bike store Mason's Bike Inn and claimed the warranty. The owner Mason said that I would get the frame in 2 months, but it been 5 months already and still no frame. Because of this I promised I'd NEVER BUY A GT AGAIN. So I don't know if its GT's fault or Mason's ,but still no frame

Purchased At:   Mason's Bike Inn

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT wheels, KCNC seatpost and Look Quartz

Submitted by geckodeux a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, climbs like nothing I have ever ridden, fast overall, great component group, stiff frame

Weaknesses:    Not a brand name that will impress (if you are into that- I am not)

Ghetto fab "Zaskar" lettering looks like an Ace Hardware job

Bottom Line:
Great hardtail for any price. Fantastic hardtail for this price. GT spec'd high-end equipment through-out; no skimping where consumers might not notice (like the cassette or bottom bracket). The bike rides like a dream. I was a little apprehensive about a carbon fiber mountain bike, but the frame has proved very durable. Falls onto rocks have left paint chips and scratches but the carbon fiber is otherwise intact. The bike is light, but GT built the Zaskar carbon frame with durability in mind. It is lighter than most aluminum hardtails, but not super light weight. GT's rationale was that the average consumer keeps a frame many seasons, rather than dumping it after one race season like the pros do. Overall the resulting bike is a reasonable compromise between durability and light weight. Especially for the price.

GT's don't command much attention, so this bike flies in low under the radar but it will hold it's own with any high end carbon fiber race bike. I have not missed my Enduro full suspension since I bought this bike!

Favorite Trail:   50 Year Trail

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Lots of bikes over the years.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for added wider tires. Stock Kenda 2.0's were light but got too many flats here in the land of sharp rocks and cactus debris. My 180# weight plus Camelback doesn't with pinch flats that either and the 2.0 width tires didn't do well for me.

Submitted by skeem a Racer from fort washington, pa

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2009

Strengths:    this bike is super light and responsive which makes it great for those long climbs. the parts on it are really nice ( all xt with xtr shifters) and the bike actually looks good (whereas many companies get too stylish with the design). even for an avid cyclist/ racer this bike is great out of the box.

Weaknesses:    doesnt come with tubeless tires and if you get dirt into the seat tube this bike squeaks more than many other bikes ive ridden.

Bottom Line:
this is the best bike ive ever ridden, everything about it is great. it handles well, the parts are nice, and after a ride or so youll become used to the idea of riding a carbon mtb. im a hardtail guy through and through i had an 08 stumpjumper because i wanted to try full suspension- this zaskar has made me realize why hardtails are so AWESOME. simply put, this bike is great, and you get lots of bang for your bucks.

Favorite Trail:   valley green

Purchased At:   dirt coalition team

Similar Products Used:   older zaskars, IF steel deluxe, fetish cycles HT with full xtr and race face, older trek 6000, 08 stumpjumper FS

Bike Setup:   stock- because everything works well. But i just put an order in for a king bb and some carbon bars and a seatpost.

Submitted by Joe Burtoni a Racer from Durango,Colorado USA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2009

Strengths:    This bike rides very smoothly yet laterally stiff when out of the saddle. Handling is so neutral that it took no time at all to get comfortable and let it loose on descents and fast sweepers.

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any.

Bottom Line:
The Zaskar Carbon Pro is one of the best mountain bike values at $3500.00 This bike is smooth enough for weekend riders and snappy for hardcore racers. The frame is very well designed with strength in mind yet yields a great ride.
Handling is not twitchy and begs to let it loose on the descents! I have had much more expensive bikes that really don't compare. GT has a winner.

Purchased At:   GT Dirt Coalition Te

Similar Products Used:   Specialized S Works hardtail / Scott LTD

Bike Setup:   Mavic tubeless / XT / XTR/ Fox 100 RL/ Ritchey

Submitted by GL1 a Racer from Arvada, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2009

Strengths:    Zaskar...what else can I say. This is my 7th. Nothing climbs like or descends like the Zaskar geometry. The carbon is great and has an awesome feel. I worried a bit about it but it is a solid material and actually less affected by fatigue over time than metals. I swapped a few of the XT components that came with this for XTR and XO. It is about 21 lbs. and the 100 mm fork is great. I am used to older Zaskars with 80mm.

Weaknesses:    I can't think of one.

Bottom Line:
Get one if you can. If you think hardtails are a thing of the past, this one could change your mind.

Favorite Trail:   Any and All

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   I have had may Zaskars...6 or 7 and currently still have a '98, an '01 and then my '08 carbon pro. I come from a BMX background and NOTHING compares to the Zaskar geometry up or down. It is proven.

Bike Setup:   I am a hardtail holdout. I went to a dual for a season and when GT came out with these in carbon I had to get one. I almost waited too long and got the last Medium that Performance had. I swapped some of the XT out for XTR, put a longer stem on it and a longer Thompson seatpost. It is setup very BMX style...which are my roots and handles amazingly both climbing and descending.

GT Zaskar 100 Carbon Pro - Dropper Post Installed!

After owning this bike for a little over a month I decided to put on a dropper seat post. This is the first dropper I've ever owned and so far I'm loving it. I did some reading of reviews here on MTBR and decided on the Specialized Command Post Blacklite based mainly on the seemingly good durability ... Read More »

2013 Devinci Atlas Carbon RC (29R) VS. 2012 GT Zaskar 100 9R PRO

I'm in the market for a new full suspension XC mountain bike to replace my 24 years old (indestructible aluminum Trek hardtail) and kinda on the fence between these two bikes. I could get the $5300 GT for $3600 on clearance or for the same price, the $4000 Devinci (hand made in Canada with lifetime ... Read More »

Back from a bit of a Hiatus for a few years - New GT Zaskar 100 Carbon Pro!

Hi all, So been a couple years since I've been on the bike and decided to get a new Mountain Bike as I've been using mostly a road bike as of late. This is my first XC Full Suspension bike and was an absolute steal(I think) as far as value per dollar, scored it through the "bay".:thumbsup: Th ... Read More »

Zaskar Carbon 29er pro

Seeing as the GT rep looks at this forum, I'm thinking about a carbon 29er HT to compliment my Marathon 9r. So, what's the weight of the Zaskar Carbon 29er Pro. One nice looking bike.Read More »

2011 Zaskar Carbon 29'ER Pro

Hi, Any info out there with regards to when we may see these new Zaskars? possibly some real life pic's? Thanks JPRead More »