GT Zaskar Carbon Expert XC Hardtail

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

The Legend Lives On. The only hard-tail in the world to win both a downhill and a XC World Championship, the Zaskar perhaps reflects GT's design philosophy better than any other bike we make. 2011 marks the 20th anniversary of the arguably most storied race bike in mountain bike history to mark the occasion, we've built an all new Carbon Zaskar. Featuring a frame made with FOC Ultra, GT's NEW proprietary Carbon Construction Method, the 2011 Zaskar is over 300g savings lighter than the previous iteration. The legend lives on.

Submitted by nicky2 a Cross Country Rider from Montara, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2011

Strengths:    Light, great climber, carbon frame seems to absorb shock on downhills, nimble, fast,fast roller, it keeps momentum. The mavic wheelset great product/weight for the price.

Weaknesses:    Where wheels mount the paint job has peeled/chipped off. Generally paint job looks good but chips off in places-not good

Bottom Line:
I did almost 4000 miles on this bike in 1 year. I like to climb, climb, climb. I do mostly fire roads and some single track. I started mb-ing 1.5 years ago and fell in love with it and this bike makes it a joy! I tied my pb record from my house to top of montara mountain on my first ride without even trying and have smashed that record many times since.
My only problem is to figure the right stuff to get when I upgrade as I am still pretty much a novice with good lungs and strong legs.
Ride to live, live to ride!

Favorite Trail:   Montara mountain

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   I have an upgraded GT Avalanche 3 as back up bike

Bike Setup:   The stock handlebar too narrow-I got carbon Answer w/2" rise. Kenda karmas wear out too quick-let loose in corners/back locks up too easy on descents when they wear down-I have racing ralphs. came w/SLX which is good-But I put on xtr brakes (not much of an upgrade performance-wise, I discovered) I have xt rear deraileur, better chain. Will upgrade as stuff wears out

Submitted by okiman a Cross Country Rider from Okinawa, Japan

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent XC bike for the price. It comes race ready and you can upgrade parts no problem. It is light and fast

Weaknesses:    It comes with SLX which are great, but can be better and are avalible on the higher end Zaskars. Trying to get a remote LO for the forks has been tough.

Bottom Line:
From the day I left Ishikawa's bike shop, I was impressed. My last bike I just took it straight home, but I went out with it for 25km from the shop. I made a few adjustments on the way, but everything worked great. Once the brakes broke in it was good to go.

I have 2,000km on it and took it racing the other weekend and it did not let me down. Throughout the race it was predictable and the light frame made the jungle section (which required dismount and running up the hill) no problem.

Overall this bike has taking from what use to be riding for exercise to competitions and can be upgraded as you see fit.

Purchased At:   Chainreaction

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4500, GT Avalanche 2.0

Bike Setup:   Frame, brakes, shifters, arms are stock, the drive terrian and derailuers have been upgraded to XTR. The front cranks I have upgraded to 48-36-26

Submitted by Damagenz a Weekend Warrior from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2010

Strengths:    Looks awesome! And rides like a dream. I have never riden a hardtail that climbs as well as the Zaskar, and just as fn on the way down. Seem sto have a shorter wheelbase? than most, which makes for an excellent trail bike! As for the spec, full SLX works mint. I was a bit aprehensive abot the Recon race's bt after riding them i have changed my mind, they are a fantastic fork!

Weaknesses:    The only things i have found so far is the qr clamp which can't be tightened enough, but easy to replace. I'm not too keen on the flat bars so i will be swapping them out for some carbon risers. I have the large frame, and the stem seems a little short for a large, bt again an easy swap. So only minor things really.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It is the best all round handling hardtail i have ever riden. Climbs like a goat and feels like a nimble trail bike on the downs. The frames is sper stiff so no felx on the hard climbs out the saddle, and handles perfectly when changing postion from seated to standing. I can't plg this bike enough. If you get a chance to take one for a spin, you will by one!

Similar Products Used:   Scott Scale 35, Avanti Competitor, a few different trek models.

Bike Setup:   Basiclly stock, with the spd pedals replaced for some platform pedals (5050) and seat clamp/bars soon to be swapped.

Submitted by Jose Fuentes a Racer from Guatemala,Gua

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, rigid yet comfortable and lively ride. Won´t flex under power.
Looks great.

Weaknesses:    So far the only weakness I´ve come up with is the crappy quick release lever. The seat post creeps down slightly after a long ride and it can`t be tightened up more. I´ll be replacing it with a bolt clamp.

Bottom Line:
I got this bike as a frameset only to build an XC racer for next season. With the current set up it weighs just over 22 pounds.I have about 15 hours on this bike and so far so good. The ride is very supple, yet I haven´t noticed any bb flex under hard power accelerations, although probably not as stiff as a Cannondale.It climbs like a goat and transitions from seated to standing very well without any loss of traction. The handling is perhaps this bike`s best attribute, its excellent and the bike feels lively and responsive. It carves corners, it is stable enough on fast descents(for an xc racer) and negotiates technical, rooty descents with ease and forgiveness. Although this bike is an excellent racing platform, put on a riser bar and some trigger shifters and it should be a good all around trailbike for the rider who thinks going up is just as fun as coming back down.
Looks like mud clearance could be a problem, but mud is still months away here.I´ll update when I get some more hours on it.

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher hardtail, Gary Fisher Sugar, Cannondale CAAD 4, Cannondale Optimo F 4000

Bike Setup:   Fox F 100 SLR, XT cranks, XTR BB, XTR pedals,XTR front der. X.0 Rear der, SRAM7.0 twist shifters,race face carbon flatbar, easton stem, thomson elite seatpost, selle san marco aspide seat w/ti rails, magura marta sl brakes, bontrager race lite disc wheels, ritchey foam grips, kenda karma 2.0 tires.

Is the GT Zaskar Carbon 9r Expert worth it?

My search for a lightweight 29er bike with a 2x10 drivetrain and decent components has led to the GT Zaskar Carbon 9r Expert that is priced at $1,664. The weight without pedals is less than 24 lbs. The Zaskar features a SRAM drive train (x7 front & x9 rear), Reba RL fork, DT Swiss wheels, and Fo ... Read More »

2012 GT Zaskar Carbon Expert 26"

Nashbar has them on sale right now for $1,399 sounds like an excellent deal and I am tempted to pull the trigger on one....I have never owned a GT before....Currently own a Specialized EVO 29er hardtail and a Giant Trance X2.....this would be a ride to fill the gap and use as a spare or loaner bike ... Read More »

Which headset for my Zaskar Carbon Expert frame?

I need some help! I've bought a used GT Zaskar Carbon Expert 2008 frame. Is it correct that I will need an integrated headset for this frame? What kind of integrated? Can someone confirm this for me? Which headset do you recommend? Max 100$Read More »

weights of zaskar team, pro, and carbon expert

can't find the weights on the net, anyone know them? ( in Kilograms if possible ) tanks:thumbsup:Read More »