GT Zaskar Bike XC Hardtail

4.69/5 (180 Reviews)

Zaskar

Submitted by Nathaniel, a cross country rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2013

Strengths:    Light. Flickable. Durable.
Polished aluminium frame looked great.
Climbs well.

Weaknesses:    The frame was stiff and didn't absorb trail chatter. This could be tiring over a long time.
Could be a bit of a handful going fast on rough descents, but this is to be expected on a rigid bike with race geometries.

Bottom Line:
The 1992 Zaskar was a good cross country bike for forest roads and single tracks.
It also worked well bombing around the streets.
Climbs like a cut snake and the XT group set lasted a long time.

One of the best bikes available at the time.
Recommended.

Duration Product Used:   19 years

Submitted by chepe

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2012

Strengths:    last the test of time

Weaknesses:    they dont make bike like those any more

Bottom Line:
Very nice bike rides like new every time I ride it.

Submitted by Mat

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2012

Strengths:    This bike is awesome. Had my 96 Zaskar LE from new and it copes with anything. I no longer have requirement for this bike. Full XT apart from LX hubs, zero skewers in blue and flite titanium saddle in yellow and blue to match the decor. I will sell this bike if anyone interested at the right price

Bottom Line:
You'll never find a better bike

Submitted by Eric the Red a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2012

Strengths:    Super stiff frame and yet very lightweigh,.tough as nails. climbs like a rocket and screams down the hills. Bought my Zaskar in 1995 and it changed the way I rode forever. I love this bike! Puchased a full suspension Trek fuel EX9 in 2006 and I still enjoy my hardtail.I started riding in 1982 and still enjoy it at the ripe old age of 50+yrs. GT built a limited edition 500 Zaskar frames in 2008. Not sure if it's the same as an original, but it says a lot about the legendary Zaskar!

Weaknesses:    GT no longer builds these bikes in the USA.

Bottom Line:
If you can get your hands on one of the original Zaskars, buy it! It is one of the finest hardtails ever made.Tr

Favorite Trail:   Rock Lake trail Wisconsin

Purchased At:   Quiet Hut Sports

Similar Products Used:   Trek 820, Trek 830, Trek 7000,Lightspeed, Specialized stump jumper, Cannondale, Giant, Diamondback.

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT derailers and shifters, Original Mavic rims, 135mm BOA stem, Kalloy UL handlebars, Titec bar ends, Thudbuster seatpost suspension, Lizard V-brakes, Bontrager FS+10 Race saddle.

Submitted by ClayP a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2012

Strengths:    strong as hell, stands the test of time. No other hardtail compares. It is a classic and has set the bar for hardtails

Weaknesses:    no longer made

Bottom Line:
This is the best hardtail ever. I have had 4 over the years - my original 94 Zaskar which I reviewed before got stolen. I replaced it with a Zaskar X which was ok but slightly different fit that I could not get used to. I gave that to my brother and since have built 2 Zaskar LE frames up with XTR drivetrains, Crossmax wheels, and SID race 80mm forks. I am considering buying a third frame to build. Get the pre-2000 frames for the real deal

Bike Setup:   97 Zaskar LE, 98 Zaskar LE with XTR drivetrain and Rock Shox Sid Race 80mm forks.

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2011

Strengths:    this bike is a legend for a reason, ultra strong and stiff and fast

Weaknesses:    you can;t buy them anymore

Bottom Line:
a classic, a legend!

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Submitted by ClawOfDoom a Cross Country Rider from Bradford, West Yorkshire, YK

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2011

Strengths:    Utterly bombproof, super stiff and climbes like a mountain goat

Weaknesses:    No tabs for mounting discs

Bottom Line:
The reason this bike is still being used after 14 years is because mothing i have tried comes anywhere close to it. I've just refitted the groupset and retro-fitted discs to the back thanks to a mounting plate from A2Z. Hopefully this beast will keep me going for another 14 years. Awesome bombproof bike...

Favorite Trail:   Ogden Moor

Purchased At:   Self built from vari

Bike Setup:   1997 Zaskar frameset,
XT Dynasys 10 speed drivetrain, shifters & Disc brakes.
Rock Shox Recon Race 120's,
Shimano MT15 wheels
WTB Velociraptor up front & Bontrager XR4 on the back

Submitted by Houseinthewoodsbiketours a Racer from Port Orchard

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2011

Strengths:    Super strong, super stiff--indestructible for over 15 years!

Weaknesses:    hard to find oem parts for 93-98 era, ride can be harsh if you aren't used to it. No disc tabs, if you want to upgrade.

Bottom Line:
Get a pre-1998 GT frame and build it up into a super snappy hardtail, if you can find one! I bought this bike with paper route money when I was a kid, and I have left it pretty much stock. I have put THOUSANDS of miles on it and it still rides like brand new. The frame is indestructible and crazy stiff, and the OEM parts from its era have outlasted similar components on post-2005 bikes. If you have one, you will keep and ride it forever!

Purchased At:   Spoke and Sport, Spo

Bike Setup:   Stock XT everything except RF cranks and rings; mavic 217's, Hadley GT hubs, RS Judy XC (with new elastomer), panaracer FireXC Pro

Submitted by Joe D a Cross Country Rider from Margate Fl

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2011

Strengths:    Super Stiff. Point and go ride. Bomb proof. Climbs like a Mtn Goat.

Weaknesses:    Super Stiff, beats the living hell out of you on rough trails.

Bottom Line:
Love It! I bought the bike in Oct of 94 and its been beating the crap out of me ever since. Have crashed more times then I can count and the only thing that breaks seems to be me. As I said earlier, super stiff, goes where its pointed, climbs like a Mnt goat. I've had it set up both as a MTN Bike and as a Road bike. GT out did themselves when they made this beaut. Would not sell it for the life of me. It even went to Lake Tahoe on my Honeymoon. Only reason dont ride it as often as I use to is the back just cant take the beating any more. Like I said SUPER STIFF.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Purchased At:   International Bike

Similar Products Used:   GT Outpost, GT STS(2),GT LTS, Jamis XCT2

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT Groupo, Marzocchi Z1 FS, Easton Monkey Lite Handle bars, Race Face Carbon Cranks/Chain Rings, Chris King Headset, Ringle' Hubs, Mavic 517 Wheelset, Selle Italia Ti Seat, Time ATAC Peddles

Submitted by Luis a Weekend Warrior from Guatemala

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2010

Strengths:    Frame building quality

Weaknesses:    Head angle a little outdated

Bottom Line:
Once I thought about selling it but my son stopped me, he was so right, this bike has no equal. I recently replaced the old Profile 25.4mm handlebar for a riser 31.8 mm and the handling improved a lot, much less vibration now. This bike looks so cool, it still make heads turn and people ask for it.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000

Bike Setup:   1994 model, Shimano XT all around, Judy XC 100, SR crankset, Icon clipless pedals, Rolf wheels, Ringle seatpost (same blue anodized color)

Submitted by briansol a Weekend Warrior from central CT, USA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2010

Strengths:    Great climber, stiff, nimble, fast.
I road XC with it, I did downhill fireroads at VT ski resorts reaching 60+ mph, and it outclimbed everyone else with more expensive bikes and in better shape than myself.

Weaknesses:    2nd water bottle placement (can't use tall bottle), decals peel easily, lots of Mothers' polish and elbow grease to keep the frame up.

Bottom Line:
I've easily put 5k TRAIL miles on this bike since buying it when i was 14 with my paper route money. There's nothing quite like a zaskar, and bikes haven't been the same since GT went across the pond.

Purchased At:   loal bike shop in 19

Similar Products Used:   spec stump jumper, trek singletracks

Bike Setup:   full XT, judy XC

Submitted by chartshark a Cross Country Rider from Portland

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2010

Strengths:    Great Climber, V. fast uphill. Full Sus. guys are scratching their heads why they are so slow when getting passed.

Weaknesses:    Stiff frame makes for a rough road down the Mt. Could also be described as active feel. Full Sus guys are wondering why you're hitting the breaks on the way downhill.

Bottom Line:
A great ride, it gets a few looks around town and chatter at the rack. Mine is in a ball burnished finish, 6160 Aluminium polishes up bright.

Favorite Trail:   Macleay Trail

Purchased At:   Craigs List

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanch

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT Cranks, XTR - other components, Shimano Carbon Fiber V-Break Booster, Head Lock - stem, Yeti Bars, Marzocchi Supper Fly Z.2 Forks, WTB Laser Beam Wheels.

Submitted by gforcegixxer a Weekend Warrior from honolulu hawaii

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2009

Strengths:    the bike is very light accelerates fast and is very nimble around turns like single track

Weaknesses:    the problem with the zaskar is that you cant get um two for one lol i'm not really complaining it's worth every penny

Bottom Line:
back in 94 i had this bike everywhere i went and rode it everyday during te weekdays on the streets and weekends offroads. imade a mistake when i got into downhill i sold it and has a disco volante made which was also a good choce of bike for the purpose but when the mountain bike downhill tour stopped coming to hawaii i lost intrest and sold the karpiel and wished i still had my zaskar, well 10 years later my neibor said that his cousin had one of those bikes and wanted to sell it so i took a look at it and foundout its my old zaskar needles to say i went to the bank machine and is now looking for retro parts for it and will keep it until i die

Favorite Trail:   saint louis

Purchased At:   the bike shop pearl