GT Xizang XC Hardtail

4.88/5 (24 Reviews)

Available in both 26" & 29" frames. Aerospace grade 9, 3/2.5 titanium, hydroformed, butted, and machined, Dropouts: Laser cut, grade 5, 6/4 plate with CNC post machining, Disc brake mount: grade 5, 6/4 investment cast, Headtube: Tapered 1.125 to 1.5 w internal machined bearing seat, Down.

Submitted by JL a Downhiller from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2007

Strengths:    Beautiful cycling. I am not a fan of suspension, so this bike suits me just fine. Its a manaic on the trail. Light and durable, I have banged it around so much. Boulders, rocks, logs, sticks, everthing. Oh I also careened over a cliff and landed on my back to save the bike from near ruin. Me, I was ruined for about three weeks.

Weaknesses:    Light end up front. When I am pulling up, I can almost pull the front end off the trail

Bottom Line:
Just a terrific ride. Worth the investment. I have had mine for over three years, and its just breaking in.

Favorite Trail:   Angeles Crest

Purchased At:   Mikes's in U City

Similar Products Used:   none as good

Submitted by Kevin Sande a Cross Country Rider from FDL

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2006

Strengths:    Ti can't be beat for a mountain bike frame. I've ridden many over the last 15 years since building up this frame. It's geometry, design and Ti's forgiveness still make the GT Xizang the best hardtail I've ever swung my leg over.

Weaknesses:    The price when I bought it was $1410 bike shop dealer cost.

Bottom Line:
Like it so much I bought one used for my son and just recently purchased a second one for myself. Also just built up the road bike equivilent a GT Edge Ti and it is everthing the Xizang is. Awesome! Anybody looking for "the best hardtail ride ever produced", should try to find one used since they don't make them anymore. I would recommend it for anyone that wants to ride cross-country seriously or recreationally. This frame is there when you need it climbing yet forgiving enough not to rattle your fillings loose and pound you kidneys.

Favorite Trail:   Ice Age single track

Purchased At:   my shop

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanche LE and other numerous Prestige Chromoly ATBS. Have ridden most all ever produced after 12 yrs in a shop and another 5 working inside the industry

Bike Setup:   Originally 7spd XT with Grafton cranks and Ti everything. XTR and Rapidfire weren't to market when I first built it up and Rock Shox had just been introduced. In 1995 I switched it all over to 8spd XT straight group and in 2003 to 9spd current with Judy SL and other assorted light pieces.

Submitted by Kurt from Davisburg

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2003

Strengths:    These bikes are awesome. Light, strong and fast

Weaknesses:    Customer support. GT abandond us owners. No available warranty from GT.

Bottom Line:
Get as many of these frames as you can. The are getting hard to find and I am still looking for a nice 16" for my Wife. They ride great and anyone looking for a XC rocket won't find a better one. What a great climber (mine took me to a 10hour finish in Leadville, it could have been faster if I helped). Buy one if you find it!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used:   I currently own 3 Xizangs

Bike Setup:   1-setup as xc racer, Scram XO, CrossMax, Sweet Cranks. Hays Disks. 2-setup as single speed, Pauls disk hubs, 3.1 tubless and Grimeca Hydro brakes. 3-setup as commuter Dirt drop bars and XTR drivetrain (v-brakes)

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Strengths:    Extremly light @ 3.25lbs, resonance absorption, stiffness where you need it, climbing and singletrack performance, wonderful polished finish.

Weaknesses:    -The generic looking stickers which I had removed, frame this quality deserves better.
-Customer support when they are sold to another company (they can end up like Mongoose).

Bottom Line:
After owning 2 GT hardtails, I have always wanted one but was out of my price range at the time ('99) and thought the 16" leftovers were gone. I love the looks and performance of their designs. I was ready to throw down large for a pre-Litespeed Merlin frame or LS Taccoa @ a LBS until I found this listed on the CBO site. I have researched information for six months on steel vs. Ti, & different manufacturers before my purchase and so far I have not been dissapointed. I was worried that if I didn't spend big $$ I would be riding an un stiff wet noodle (I weigh 190lbs)but the triple triangle design creates stiffness where you need it with minimal flex in the bottom bracket. Just point and haul @ss on single track and up hill-fast. What an awesome upgrade over aluminum, this frame dampens all the "noise" and vibrations and will last a long time. This bike would be an awesome racer or anyone appreciating high performance.

The Litespeed had too short of a top tube and too many trust fund babies here have one. The Merlin was awesome but expensive and thought quality was marginally better, I couldn't test ride a Dean or Airborne (I wanted to buy American)and the GT ti has always been my dream bike.

I asked a GT rep at a show why they no longer make it and he said it wasn't proftable and the market is demanding aluminum (whatever, the industry is pushing aluminum!)If you can find any leftovers @ CBO or second hand I would highly reccommend it. I used the money saved on buying components. Best of all it's low recognition , someone won't try to crack me over the head and steal it since it doesn't say Moots or Litespeed on it.

Ride hard!

Favorite Trail:   ALL

Purchased At:   CBO

Similar Products Used:   2 GT hardtails previously owned. Also compared Litespeed,Dean , Merlin, Airborne, some high end steel makers.

Bike Setup:   517w/XTR, XT, Truvativ Stylo, Thompson stem/post, Manitou Mars C

Submitted by Scott Nelson a Cross Country Rider from CT

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2001

Strengths:    I know this is what everybody says but it's so true the climbing is absolutley amazing. I didn't know that this frame would improve my performance this much. I can climb in the larger gears with much more ease. It is the perfect XC race frame, with the right components. I plan on starting to race with this.

Weaknesses:    na.

Bottom Line:
I was finally able to find one of these rare Xizang frames for a pretty good deal and was able to build up my dream bike, when I get money for better cranks it will be perfect but the XT's will do for now. I am not disappointed at all I was able to get the best components for pretty cheap online and through this site. If you can find one of these frames get it, I know they are rare because they don't make them anymore which is truly a shame. The lifetime warranty is also very nice to have although i doubt i will need it. I am used to very rigid aluminum and steel which hurts afetr a while but the ti is so forgiving and nice. I ride on very rough rocky terrain with lots of little drops and jumps and the ti is perfect for it . If your looking for a XC racer this is it. It looks damn good to.

Favorite Trail:   shenipsit

Purchased At:   LBS on this site

Similar Products Used:   Gt outpost, cannondale delta v 1000

Bike Setup:   full XTR, XT cranks, raceface system stem, ea70 handlebar, magura HS-33(incredible), king headset, spox wheels, marzochi Z-3

Submitted by Eli a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2000

Strengths:    Flawless welds, beefy dropouts, and a tad of forgiving flex in the rear triangle.

Weaknesses:    For the retail price of the frame, you could buy a Geo Metro with air conditioning. Also, some riders may not be comfortable with the "long and low" position they get after they buy the frame based on the seat tube length--they think the frame is too big. My solution is to buy your frame according to your preferred nominal top-tube length.

Bottom Line:
It could be lighter, but it couldn't be much better looking. At 5'9", I only weigh 140, so I'm not the best person to test durability. I am a long-and-low rider (no riser bar), and I prefer the stretched-out position of the 18" frame. The Kona Hei Hei and the GT Xizang have similar, perfect welds, but the Kona seems about a pound heavier. If you want to spend less than $1000 on a Ti frame and want a riser bar/freeride setup, get a Kona Hei Hei or King Kahuna. If you want a cross-country rocket, get the GT Xizang.

Favorite Trail:   Flat Pass (Moab, UT)

Purchased At:   on-line auction

Similar Products Used:   I bought a 1998 Kona Hei Hei (Ti) for a friend, and commute on a 1993 GT Avalanche Team Edition (cro-mo).

Bike Setup:   18" polished frame (23" top tube), AMP F-4 carbon fork. XTR all around except cranks (FSA carbon), bottom bracket (FSA titanium), headset (FSA Orbit Extreme). Bontrager Valiant rims, SBI Team Master/Control TE tires, Easton CT2 carbon bar, USE XCR shockpost. 23.5 lbs.

Submitted by steve pham a Weekend Warrior from oakland ca usa

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2000

Strengths:    rigid as heck. light as a feather. lively feel of titanimum. the welds are flawless throughout the frame.

Weaknesses:    lame stickers. i removed them all with a xacto knife. for a ti frame, gt should put a head badge similar to litespeed or lemond bikes. i think this would give it a classier look, instead of the lame 'fast, it's corporate policy blah blah blah look'.

Bottom Line:
the ride is rigid and stable (maybe because i'm 5 9" and only 155 lbs?). it doesn't have that 'heaviness' feel of my old fisher (steel) or zaskar (aluminum). this is the first titanium bike i've own, but i don't think i will ever go back to the other stuff. the coolest thing about this frame is the way it responds when i climb, which is my number one weakness. it sort of responds like a 'spotter' does when you're lifting weights, you're doing 99% of the work, but the other 1% gets me up that crazy hill. the only complaint i have is gt's customer support. it's non-existant! my wish is for gt to make this frame in a softail, but hey, i'm saving my $$ for that 'silk ti' i've been eyeing at the lbs.

Favorite Trail:   joaquin miller, chabot

Purchased At:   cambria bicycle emporium rohnert park

Similar Products Used:   fisher, gt avalanche

Bike Setup:   full xt. marzocchi atom bomb. mavic 517. american classic seatpost. selle italia flite ti. panaracer xc fire. titec big al with hellbent bars. oury grips. time atac pedals.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Little Rhody

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2000

Strengths:    Light
nimble through turns
forgiving ride

Weaknesses:    Will update if I find one....

Bottom Line:
This will not be a complete review, as I have not had the amount of time to put the bike through it's paces. I will give initial reactions and update as needed:
Bought 98 frame as a hand me down from someone who did not use it, built it up and have ridden a few times since: Gives an excellent ride, headtube angle makes it seem like the steering control is better than my old frame. Dampens the bumps more than I thought that I would feel and is overall an incredible frame. I do not think that I will need another considering it weighs 3 1/4#, and will never rust, oh- and is pretty strong!
I am looking forward to seeing what this bike will do.

Favorite Trail:   Arcadia- Mt. Tom

Similar Products Used:   Cadex ALM1
Mongoose
Diamondback

Bike Setup:   00 Marzocchi 3.5, full XT, Thompson Elite, Bontrager race, Middleburn rings

Submitted by Stani a Cross Country Rider from Ann Arbor, Michigan

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2000

Strengths:    awesome ride
light

Weaknesses:    GT customer support

Bottom Line:
The ride is awesome. A little vertical compliance and titanium's damping characteristics soak up the harsh stuff beautifully. The frame does have a touch of torsional flex but it isn't a problem for me (6', 160 lbs). My 18" frame weights 3.50 lbs, it's top tube is 22.5", seat tube is 18", and chain stays are 16.75". GT's customer support was unable to tell me anything about the bike before I ordered it and generally seemes kinda clueless. "fast. it's corporate policy" But the frame still rocks so I'll give it five.

Favorite Trail:   Potawatomi

Similar Products Used:   GT Karakoram

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb, King, Mavic Cross Max,
XT/XTR, Thompson Elite

Submitted by Chris Yura a Cross-Country Rider from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: December 1, 1999

Strengths:
Light
Clean Finish

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
Very light bike. You get that ti feel without paying the price like you do with the other ti companies. This frame is not as flexy as the others as well, it holds a line well and is a blast to ride. My bike setup is around 20 pounds as well, LIGHT. I did break my first one though, but GT was right there to replace it within 3 DAYS. I like the bike a lot and have no intention on giving it up!!

Wissahickon

Spox Wheels
Marzocchi z2 x-fly

Submitted by Jim a Racer from IL

Date Reviewed: September 25, 1999

Strengths:
Weight, frame finish, Ti ride

Weaknesses:
GT's sizing method

Bottom Line:
Just sold a used 98 Xizang because it was too big for me. The frame finish is incredible and you can't beat the frame's natural damping characterics due to thinner and smaller diameter tubes. The frame is the lightest I've ridden so far. I've ridden many 16 GT frames, but after checking out GT's website, they recommand 18 for riders ranging from 5'8 to 6'0 so I figure 18 would suit me even better (i'm 5'10). Wrong move! Unless you have odd inseam or in the upper range of teh recommanded height, go with one size smaller. Well, my next bike... 99 Xizang in team white... it should arrive within a week. I can't wait!! By the way, the person that I sold it to loved it.

1 Year

Zaskar, Zaskar LE, Cannondale Super V, Backwood, OLD Giant carbon tubing

Xizang, XTR, race face, SID, Selle Italia, Thomson, Easton...

Submitted by Jeff a cross-country rider from Marietta, Ga

Date Reviewed: December 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

I can't say enough good about GT. I recently broke my '95 LTS Team frame, much to my chagrin. GT no longer has repair frame parts for that bike, and I was literally one week outside my warranty period, so I thought I was screwed. I definately wasn't prepared to buy another $1300 frame. GT offered me $400 as a crash replacement for my frame (this is apparently more than they normally offer) and my choice of GT frames at dealer cost.So now I'm on a Xizang. What a piece of art! The welds are flawless. The frame could be more closely detailed with the polishing wheel, but it's still beautiful. My only gripe is that GT went to a 27.2 seatpost and now my nice Moby post is just gathering dust.I thought that the ride would be harsh, coming off of a softtail, but the titaniun is suprisingly comfortable. The new geometry is going to take a little getting used to though, because my LTS had a really slack head angle (69.5).Another bonus - my bike was light before, but this is rediculous! I weighed it in at my LBS at 22.5 lbs.!5 Chilies for me!

Submitted by Joe T. a weekend warrior from Honolulu, Hi

Date Reviewed: December 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

I just got one of the last 98' Xizang from GT. I used to ride a FS bike but I got tied of all my piviot braking and all my rear shocks blowwing a seal. I used to ride a Kona hei hei ti frame. Between that bike and this Xizang, I got to put the GT 1st. It handles awesome and it's ride is just as easy on my ass like the Hei Hei. I am running XTR/XT, mavic and Sun rims. It can be as light as 22lbs to 24lbs. It handles well in the single track and also the downhills. I do a lot of 4 hrs. rides and it keeps me feeling good.

Submitted by Jamie Morris a weekend warrior from London UK

Date Reviewed: October 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have a 1994 18 Xizang built up with XTR & Manitou Spyder Rs. I have owned this bike since new and have covered many thousand miles both on & off-road in Europe & Canada. Despite many crashes & component changes the bike looks as good as new, one of the main advantages of a polished Titanium Frame. The bike climbs well due to its lightweight & is extremely comfortable for a hard-tail. I would say though that it is a bit twangy in the bottom bracket area, not as rigid as a good aluminium or steel hard tail. I imagine that the smaller Xizangs 16 or less are less flexy. Apparently most of the GT team riders ride 16 Xizangs with custom length front triangles. Overall one of the best Hardtails for general xc riding, but not rigid enough for Hammerheads!

Submitted by David Severino a cross-country rider from Denver, Co USA

Date Reviewed: September 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

I am on my second Xizang frame. I recently cracked the undersiding to the top head tube next to the stem. I was afraid that GT would just say sorry!!, since I had been riding and racing on the frame for three years. But to my suprise GT warrentied the frame. I had to wait about three weeks without a bike but then was quite happy to see my brand new 98 Xizang. It was much improved over the 95 model I had been riding on. I added new components which has made the bike even ride faster. I want to race on it but am afraid to crash on it. I had probably 45 crashes on the 95 model, and it was beginning to show it. So I think I will wait another month or two before I take it to a race, but it will see those days in the future. Is that not what it was made for??
The bike is like riding a dream, and not longer puts my body parts to sleep when I ride like previous bikes have, if you know what I mean!

Rare Spam: GT Xizang titanium 29er $1,150

[url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=94082]GT Xizang Titanium 29er frame size XL - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url] [URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/detail/media/GT%20Xizang/DSCF1447_zps754d2411.jpg.html][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204 ... Read More »

My WW 1998 Xizang.

I got this frame from my Shop Sponsor for Christmas 1998 and was going to build it up with the XTR groupo and Crossmax wheels of the time but decided to go Weight Weenie with it. I just found these negatives after 16 years. Titanium GT Xizang frame AMP Research F2 Carbon fork Chris king headset ... Read More »

My first WW Build 1998 Titanium GT Xizang

Well I finally found the pics of my first WW build. It's a 1998 Titanium GT Xizang. Amp Research carbon fork Chris King headset Profile stem w/ Ti bolts Easton carbon bar Easton carbon seatpost Carbon Flite saddle QBP post clamp w/ Ti bolt Grafton Joystix cranks Action Tec Ti BB QBP 42 ... Read More »

WTB: Xizang frame

Anybody have a Xizang frame they'd be willing to part with? 16 or 18" I'd also consider a Lightning or maybe even one of the high-end steel frames. I could trade a 16" LTS-1 frame/shock/parts.Read More »

Frame opinions please: 2013 Salsa El Mariachi Ti vs GT Xizang 29er

I've got an itch to switch from my perfectly capable and decent aluminum hard tail to a Ti framed bike. I'm looking for opinions regarding the 2013 Salsa El Mariachi Ti and GT Xizang 29er frames. I understand both are very new so there may not be much trail riding feedback yet but I'd still like to ... Read More »