GT Timberline XC Hardtail

4.24/5 (80 Reviews)

Submitted by bike rider a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2011

Strengths:    Strong durable, rugged

Weaknesses:    not as light as the very expensive bikes then then again you are not paying the vou very expensive prices .. you get what you pay for

Bottom Line:
A good/great average bike for the price... Name quality components, and I have owned two of these bikes for 5 years. One male and one female .. same configuration.. I have replaced tires, and wearable parts. Wife does 30 miles a day 5x a week for 6 months NJ so cannot ride in winter. No problems with bike its strong.. But as strong ist not the lighest. But the lighter the bike the more you pay. Not racing so do not need the lightest

Favorite Trail:   PAVED OR GRAVEL

Purchased At:   DICKS SPORTING GOODS

Similar Products Used:   schwinn

Submitted by Mustang6147 a Weekend Warrior from Kent,Ohio

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2011

Strengths:    This bike has been used and abused since new, and it likes it.

Weaknesses:    None that I can find

Bottom Line:
I would buy this bike again. I have riddin in rivers and streams, the bike was under water, off hills and jumps, and it is great. Many other riders have been through many aluminium framed bike, and this one has held up. I weigh in at 235lbs, so this bike takes a pounding.

Favorite Trail:   Buckeye

Purchased At:   Wheel & Wrench in Ke

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanche

Bike Setup:   Manitou Stroker FS TI 80mm fork, Alivio, Uno.... nothin special

Submitted by JohnB_SCV a Weekend Warrior from Valencia, CA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2010

Strengths:    "Mega Range" granny gear works great for climbing. Low profile / less concern with theft. Agree with others that the saddle is uncomfortable on long rides. Takes serious abuse.

Weaknesses:    Mediocrity. It does nothing great. Not geared tall so don't expect to go fast. Uncomfortable over long rides. Tires are too wide for road riding, too narrow/not enough grip for off road riding.

Bottom Line:
Universal, take anywhere, do anything bike; just don't expect the bike to do it extremely well. If you were going to buy just one new bike and you are on a tight budget, this is a fine choice. Have used it over 10 years and have gotten my money back many times over. Just make sure you keep it tuned.

Favorite Trail:   Tapia Canyon

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Other crappy hybrids.

Bike Setup:   Rear rack, Cloud9 saddle.

Submitted by Hobbeast a Weekend Warrior from Rohnert Park, CA.

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2009

Strengths:    I have had this bike 11 years. Keep in mind, I take good care of it. Keep it clean, service bearings, adjust cables once a year. Just the basics. I am 5'11' tall and 200LBs. It is great on or off road. I take this bike on the Rubicon Run trail. It is a level 10 class 5 boulder crawl. The bike and I do fine. In my opinion, that says it all!

Bottom Line:
A bike built to last, that is comfortable to ride and easy on the

Favorite Trail:   Fordyce Creek Traik (Rubicon)

Purchased At:   Rincon Cyclery, Sant

Similar Products Used:   Bridgestone MD 5

Bike Setup:   shimano IG chain- crankset.
Indy C Rock Shox
Zac19 rims /WTB Velocirapter tires
Shimano STX derailers
Bike weight is 29.5 LBS

Submitted by Sky a Weekend Warrior from Columbus, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2009

Strengths:    smooth shifting

Weaknesses:    see below

Bottom Line:
I didn't do the research (my fault) and got ripped off by the LBS on this bike. Paid $150+tax for USED on the fly for a weekend ride. The breaks gave and I wiped out hard. The back tire kept slipping dangerously on the hillside and every root slammed my joints. The bike is good for going around town on the street but if you're planning on off roading skip it.

Submitted by Tonatiuh a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2009

Strengths:    In a word Durable, I've beaten this bike since Jan of '94 fresh out of my LBS and it still going.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, made of Tange chrome-moly main tubes.

Bottom Line:
Definatly good value for dollar. If your in the market for a cheap durable bike this is a good option, I can ceratainly vouch for it's stregth. I used it for college, trail riding, fitness cycling, and commuting. It's been through countless laydowns, exposed to Pacific Northwest weather for a couple of winters, hard crashes, and I still haven't been able to crack it so I can upgrade. This bike has beaten me and has lead me to confide in GT bikes. For the upgrade I'm eyeballing their aluminum Zaskar models. I'd appreciate if anybody has any other ideas about a tough but light frame set.

Favorite Trail:   Greenlake

Purchased At:   Manteca, CA

Bike Setup:   Stock look it up at: http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1993&Brand=GT&Model=Timberline&Type=bike

Submitted by walker a Weekend Warrior from Memphis TN United States

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2008

Strengths:    strong frame, nice shocks, very well built

Bottom Line:
Great Bike for the money. Best for trails.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Trail and Tour de Wolf

Similar Products Used:   Giant MTX 250

Submitted by Adam Clark from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2007

Strengths:    Hit by 3 cars and run over once, and it is still straight. This is a great bike that I have owned since new in 1996, and have ridden to death at least twice. Beautifaul Team Scream paint

Bottom Line:
The best, most badass, strongest, most durable bike I have ever ridden. Almost 12 years old and still going strong. Too bad you probably missed out on it.

Favorite Trail:   Wherever

Purchased At:   Skunk River Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Why use anything else?

Bike Setup:   Acera front v-brake, Judy xc fork (yellow), Dia Compe Aheadset, Bontrager Race aluminum stem, Onza bar ends, GT gel grips (blue, matches the team scream paint), new Deore cassette and chain, Serfas Drifter tires. The front end stuff is only because it was run over by a conversion van.

Submitted by Marley a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2007

Strengths:    THE FRAME is awsome totally invincable the paint jobs pretty nice aswell

Weaknesses:    weight but no that much

Bottom Line:
best bike ive owned its good for hard terrain i also like jumping it its very reliable!!!!!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   from a mate

Similar Products Used:   gt chucker 2.0

Bike Setup:   alivio crank, s-ram gearing ,bomber suspencsion fork
carbon fibre handle bars kore seat post alex rims with bontrager tires

Submitted by Ben Light a Weekend Warrior from Naperville, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2006

Strengths:    Super solid frame, bike looks tough and sporty because of the almost horizontal top tube.

Weaknesses:    If you like a lighter frame then you might have a problem with the weight but it works great for me.

Bottom Line:
Gorgeous bike that has suffered minimal damage from it's years of sitting outside in the snow while I lived in residence at university. Will do most anything you ask of it unless you're a real expert rider.

Purchased At:   Used Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Univegas, Huffys...

Bike Setup:   Almost all stock, Nakamura seat.

Submitted by jason a Weekend Warrior from philadelphia, pa

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2006

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike in every way. For me the bike weight is reassuring. Any lighter would be for racing and would probably get wrecked. This bike is bullletproof. I have had many bikes over the years and this is by far the best. I probably got this in about 96.
I would definately buy from GT again.

Favorite Trail:   high rocks park, pa

Purchased At:   staten island

Bike Setup:   never upgraded, thinking about pedals to replace the toe clips-maybe primo tenderizers

Submitted by dan smith a Racer from uk

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2005

Strengths:    awesome bike great fun good allrounder pimping matt black paint job that looked metalic purple when wet. steel frame nice very upgradeable.

Weaknesses:    forks were pants and wheels wern't great but can't complain as overall package was good

Bottom Line:
longest i have ever owned a bike . the 98 ( 97 maybe can't remember) timberline i had was my first real bike i had it for about three years i killed it only because i was a rubbish rider and was trying to jump and dh on it. for its purpose it was a fantastic bike and i wish i still had it as a frame for xc. if you can get one i'd recomend it the 90's frames are way better then when they became the alu comfort rubbish bike. this bike got me started in mtb'ing now im a mountain bike instructor.so thanks gt

Purchased At:   bridgewater

Similar Products Used:   i've had so many bikes hard to know were to start.

Bike Setup:   changed constantly when i had it as i was a very abussive rider

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from chazy, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2005

Strengths:    Price, weight

Weaknesses:    Seat, Driveline, Tires

Bottom Line:
Bought this after the LBS I visited had no bikes for under $500. This is my first real bike purchase in 15 years. Overall I like the bike, however, I am quickly growing out of it. I try to ride every day, weather permitting, 10-25 miles. So far have only taken it on roads. Now with about 200 miles on it, I am noticing more and more vibrations and grinding coming from the crankset.

From the store, the bike was not set up properly. It could be shifted, however it would not stay on the 3rd chainring without constant pressure. I was able to adjust this. The stock seat is horrid. I replaced that with a cutaway seat.

I am not sure about the longevity of this bike, but time will tell.

Purchased At:   Dicks Sporting goods

Submitted by Dannie a Weekend Warrior from Puyallup, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2005

Strengths:    price; ride quality; frame quality good for price range; easy to shift gears; excellent bike for those newbies who are looking to get back into cycling

Weaknesses:    had to immediately change the saddle; handlebar and stem have considerable flex; pedals have no real grip

Bottom Line:
I was dying to get back to cycling and for this price I couldn't have chosen better. Walmart price at LBS quality. Right now I'm just cruicing around my neighborhood, but am in the process of upgrading to hit the trails and roads.

For any first-timer or recreationalist, this bike is an excellent value and an easy ride.

Favorite Trail:   Neighborhood

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Similar Products Used:   10 speed when I was younger; had a crappy Murray for a month (given to me...wouldn't have paid for) before I HAD to upgrade

Bike Setup:   Forte titanium rail Team saddle; headlight and taillight; otherwise stock

Submitted by Street a Weekend Warrior from Baton Rouge, LA

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap, durable, under $200, good commuter

Weaknesses:    Weak driveline, pointless front suspension

Bottom Line:
No one is going to seek out a GT Timberline. For me it was an impulse buy on a Sunday, when all the bike shops were closed and my current stable of bikes had been stolen. As my only means of transportation, it gets between 25-50 miles of use per day - and it has held up like a champ. After 6 months it has almost 5000 miles on it and everything still works (I replaced a front wheel after an accident though). It's also survived a head-on collision with a car (appx. 5mph) and a side swipe with a truck (appx. 15 mph), plus some light trail riding a few times. The steering is nervous, the driveline is junk, and at first I regretted my quick decision to buy this bike - but it has yet to let me down and has paid for itself at least twice.

Favorite Trail:   LSU Lakes