GT Timberline XC Hardtail

3.29/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by bike rider a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2011

Strengths:    Strong durable, rugged

Weaknesses:    not as light as the very expensive bikes then then again you are not paying the vou very expensive prices .. you get what you pay for

Bottom Line:
A good/great average bike for the price... Name quality components, and I have owned two of these bikes for 5 years. One male and one female .. same configuration.. I have replaced tires, and wearable parts. Wife does 30 miles a day 5x a week for 6 months NJ so cannot ride in winter. No problems with bike its strong.. But as strong ist not the lighest. But the lighter the bike the more you pay. Not racing so do not need the lightest

Favorite Trail:   PAVED OR GRAVEL

Purchased At:   DICKS SPORTING GOODS

Similar Products Used:   schwinn

Submitted by JohnB_SCV a Weekend Warrior from Valencia, CA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2010

Strengths:    "Mega Range" granny gear works great for climbing. Low profile / less concern with theft. Agree with others that the saddle is uncomfortable on long rides. Takes serious abuse.

Weaknesses:    Mediocrity. It does nothing great. Not geared tall so don't expect to go fast. Uncomfortable over long rides. Tires are too wide for road riding, too narrow/not enough grip for off road riding.

Bottom Line:
Universal, take anywhere, do anything bike; just don't expect the bike to do it extremely well. If you were going to buy just one new bike and you are on a tight budget, this is a fine choice. Have used it over 10 years and have gotten my money back many times over. Just make sure you keep it tuned.

Favorite Trail:   Tapia Canyon

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Other crappy hybrids.

Bike Setup:   Rear rack, Cloud9 saddle.

Submitted by Sky a Weekend Warrior from Columbus, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2009

Strengths:    smooth shifting

Weaknesses:    see below

Bottom Line:
I didn't do the research (my fault) and got ripped off by the LBS on this bike. Paid $150+tax for USED on the fly for a weekend ride. The breaks gave and I wiped out hard. The back tire kept slipping dangerously on the hillside and every root slammed my joints. The bike is good for going around town on the street but if you're planning on off roading skip it.

Submitted by Tonatiuh a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2009

Strengths:    In a word Durable, I've beaten this bike since Jan of '94 fresh out of my LBS and it still going.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, made of Tange chrome-moly main tubes.

Bottom Line:
Definatly good value for dollar. If your in the market for a cheap durable bike this is a good option, I can ceratainly vouch for it's stregth. I used it for college, trail riding, fitness cycling, and commuting. It's been through countless laydowns, exposed to Pacific Northwest weather for a couple of winters, hard crashes, and I still haven't been able to crack it so I can upgrade. This bike has beaten me and has lead me to confide in GT bikes. For the upgrade I'm eyeballing their aluminum Zaskar models. I'd appreciate if anybody has any other ideas about a tough but light frame set.

Favorite Trail:   Greenlake

Purchased At:   Manteca, CA

Bike Setup:   Stock look it up at: http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1993&Brand=GT&Model=Timberline&Type=bike

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from chazy, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2005

Strengths:    Price, weight

Weaknesses:    Seat, Driveline, Tires

Bottom Line:
Bought this after the LBS I visited had no bikes for under $500. This is my first real bike purchase in 15 years. Overall I like the bike, however, I am quickly growing out of it. I try to ride every day, weather permitting, 10-25 miles. So far have only taken it on roads. Now with about 200 miles on it, I am noticing more and more vibrations and grinding coming from the crankset.

From the store, the bike was not set up properly. It could be shifted, however it would not stay on the 3rd chainring without constant pressure. I was able to adjust this. The stock seat is horrid. I replaced that with a cutaway seat.

I am not sure about the longevity of this bike, but time will tell.

Purchased At:   Dicks Sporting goods

Submitted by Dannie a Weekend Warrior from Puyallup, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2005

Strengths:    price; ride quality; frame quality good for price range; easy to shift gears; excellent bike for those newbies who are looking to get back into cycling

Weaknesses:    had to immediately change the saddle; handlebar and stem have considerable flex; pedals have no real grip

Bottom Line:
I was dying to get back to cycling and for this price I couldn't have chosen better. Walmart price at LBS quality. Right now I'm just cruicing around my neighborhood, but am in the process of upgrading to hit the trails and roads.

For any first-timer or recreationalist, this bike is an excellent value and an easy ride.

Favorite Trail:   Neighborhood

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Similar Products Used:   10 speed when I was younger; had a crappy Murray for a month (given to me...wouldn't have paid for) before I HAD to upgrade

Bike Setup:   Forte titanium rail Team saddle; headlight and taillight; otherwise stock

Submitted by Street a Weekend Warrior from Baton Rouge, LA

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap, durable, under $200, good commuter

Weaknesses:    Weak driveline, pointless front suspension

Bottom Line:
No one is going to seek out a GT Timberline. For me it was an impulse buy on a Sunday, when all the bike shops were closed and my current stable of bikes had been stolen. As my only means of transportation, it gets between 25-50 miles of use per day - and it has held up like a champ. After 6 months it has almost 5000 miles on it and everything still works (I replaced a front wheel after an accident though). It's also survived a head-on collision with a car (appx. 5mph) and a side swipe with a truck (appx. 15 mph), plus some light trail riding a few times. The steering is nervous, the driveline is junk, and at first I regretted my quick decision to buy this bike - but it has yet to let me down and has paid for itself at least twice.

Favorite Trail:   LSU Lakes