GT Tequesta Bike XC Hardtail

4.48/5 (126 Reviews)

Tequesta

Submitted by blake

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2013

Strengths:    great angles for power, sprints etc, decent weight, strong....but not indestructable

Weaknesses:    a little aggressive for long rides, no shocks.

Bottom Line:
This was my second mt bike back in 97. Had a raliegh prior with much less aggressive angles and it just seemed like it was in the way all the time. This thing keeps your head down and is ready to play.

I see a lot of statements that it is indestructible to which I have to disagree. I think because of the geometry the front end takes a beating, I ended up bending 2 forks, one was a replacement Judy that should have ever caved, I also burnt out a couple cranks/bottom brackets. In the end it was probably from abuse but just to make sure you don't go dirt jumping what is basically a 97 xc frame, its not indestructible.

Submitted by TEF

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2012

Strengths:    frame strength, quality parts

Bottom Line:
purchased new in 1996. Still an excellent bike after 16 yrs. Recent upgrades: Thudbuster seat post, Rock Shox Recon fork. Am only a casual trail and forest service road rider but this bike performs and have never had any equipment failures.
for a steel frame bike, it still feels light. Was made in USA. cant beat that!

Submitted by 6sharky9 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2011

Strengths:    Of course the triple triangle moly frame.

Weaknesses:    None so far with the frame.

Bottom Line:
I guess my first quality frame build up. It seems to handle pretty good. The front shock added quite a bit of weight to it though. I'm sure more than 5 lbs. Can feel the difference over the rigid fork. I plan fully polish the frame. Add a better front shock and some carbon pieces to help bring the weight down a bit. Mavic cross ride rims as well. So far I love the bike and plan to keep it for a while. I would reccomend the frame to anyone for a build up.

Favorite Trail:   oleta state park in south florida

Purchased At:   co-worker

Similar Products Used:   Wally world mongoose. (XR-75 and XR-200)

Bike Setup:   Stock shimano SLX Crankset. Mozo M30 front shock. Promax mechanical disc front brakes. Promax v-brakes rear. Shimano Alivio front and rear derailleurs. Shimano st-ef50 rapid fire shifters and brake levers. Kalloy alloy seat post with a WTB speed v saddle. Kenda KLAW 26x2.10 tires. Yeti grips. Sram pg-830 chain.

Submitted by Rafael Luvisotto a Weekend Warrior from Brasil, Sao paulo . Leme

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2011

Bottom Line:
quero comprar, GT Tequesta amarelo e preta, Alguem pode me ajudar, Obrigado

Submitted by JackC a Cross Country Rider from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2011

Strengths:    Light and strong, withstands the test of time

Bottom Line:
This bike was bought at a local dealer in 1994 and had stayed in great shape until now, as I have upgraded to a full suspension. This thing is indestructible, I've done drops and rockgardens, and easily put at least 100 miles on this bike, and aside from a few mechanical parts, I have had little trouble with it. No cracks in the frame, which surprised me. Seriously a nice retro ride, or can serve as a commuter bike.

Favorite Trail:   Anything at Killington

Purchased At:   Gift

Similar Products Used:   K2 A99, Specialized hardrock

Bike Setup:   Stock, except Judy XC air fork, generic wheelset, new derrailleur and shifters.

Submitted by BrodPee a Cross Country Rider from Middle River, MD., U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2011

Strengths:    Indestructible but lightweight. Headtube is sized 1 1/8" so can pretty much take any standard suspension forks.

Weaknesses:    No replaceable derailleur hanger.

Bottom Line:
This is a very good Chro-mo mountain bike if you want the feel of steel but will beat you up on rugged trails. I recommend putting on 80mm travel suspension fork and a suspension seatpost and you have a very nice hardtail that will last a long time.

Favorite Trail:   Loch Raven Trails

Purchased At:   Goodwill Superstore

Similar Products Used:   This is my first non-suspension hardtail mountain bike. Trek 4900, 2005 Diamondback SL Super, Giant Iguana SE, 2010 Diamondback Response

Bike Setup:   1996 GT Tequesta mostly all original STX components except the IG compatible rear derailleur was switched to Shimano Exage since I replace the cassette to HG. Replaced the tires to slick and this serves as my hybrid bike. I also put a SPD clipless pedals. Lightweight at 23 pounds.

Submitted by 2DK a Cross Country Rider from NYC

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2010

Strengths:    light for a steel bike, great color way, decent components

Weaknesses:    I'm not a big fan of the Gripshift; may change it out

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike off of craigslist for $150. It came with Rock Shox Quadra 21r forks with worn elastomers (fork was totally compressed) and brand new Michelin Wild Gripper tires (went straight onto my 2010 GT Avalanche). The GT team colors is what made me fall in love with this specific bike and I saw the potential it had with some minor upgrades. Sadly, like most bikes, my new GT is made in China unlike this 1995 Tequesta that was made in California. The Mavic rims are made in France and Shimano STX components from Japan.

Favorite Trail:   Gunks

Purchased At:   craigslist seller in

Similar Products Used:   2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 (only original part is the frame)

Bike Setup:   2010 GT Avalanche handlebar/ stem
Rock Shox Pilot Air forks
Tektro MT14 Quartz V brake set (levers/ brakes/ cables)
Kenda Nevegal tires
Cannondale 2321 H saddle
Orbitz integrated headset
SRAM grips

Submitted by chtiman a Cross Country Rider from North, France

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2010

Strengths:    i really love the way this bike is easy to ride. I've converted it into singlespeed (32x16) and it is really lively (vivacious... sorry for my english). It is nevertheless quite stable.

Weaknesses:    maybe too heavy (11.5kg) but 1996 was not an era builders were trying to gain some weight on the frames

Bottom Line:
I've had a few singlespeed bikes (Lapierre, Surly 1x1, Salsa Ala Carte and this one) and I think it is the one that excites me the most from the first ride.

Similar Products Used:   maybe Surly 1x1 but not really the same geometry I think

Bike Setup:   Easton cromo 4130 "afterburner" (red/black) fred and rigid fork | Brakes: Shimano STX M-System | Crankset: Shimano Deore LX 32t | Pedals: DMR V8 | Cog: 16t | Chain : SRAM 7/8 speeds | Tensioner : Paul Comp Melvin | Seat post: Kalloy SP-242, 26.8 mm | Saddle: Rocky Mountain, chromo rails | Bar: flat Ritchey Comp with bar ends | Grips: Ergon | Stem: Race Face Ride 60mm | Wheels: Mavic Crossride

Submitted by Jamin555 a Cross Country Rider from Hopkins, MN

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2009

Strengths:    Frame

Weaknesses:    Components

Bottom Line:
During the 21 years I have owned this bike, I have never regretted the purchase. The GT frame is what got my attention first because it appeared to be designed to actually take on a mountain. I have bent rims, seats and handle bars, but never the frame. The GT looked very alien back then and for a few years I used to get a lot of questions. I only wish new replacement parts were easily obtainable. This old Tequesta still keeps me flying down that trail...

Favorite Trail:   The one next to my house...

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Had one of the first Schwinn's marketed as a "Mountain Bike".

Bike Setup:   Purchased new in 1988. It was on sale because it was an 1987 model. Installed fenders and rack before the first ride. In 1996 I replaced the fork with a Rock Shox, replaced chain, all cables, tires, seat and handle bars. This summer I purchased a used GT MTB as a parts bike. Replacing the rear rim and gear set with one that is straight and has teeth left, has made riding this beast fun again...

Submitted by floyd_england a Weekend Warrior from Coventry, England

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2009

Strengths:    Bullet proof, it was ridden for 5 years when originally purchased, then thrown to the back of the garage. One day 3 years ago I rediscovered her, she was ridden standard for a while then evolved as Singlespeed (horizontal dropouts :o) ), fixie, then recently the carbon fork arrived and a 29er front wheel. I know I've thrown good money at an old bike, but I don't care, it's a pleasure to ride and always gets people talking at the trailhead!

Bottom Line:
She's now 20, OK not a lot of the original bike remains, but nothing that has been replaced broke, it was just worn out.

Last year I put her back as close as possible to original, rim brakes, gears, original forks, 26in wheels etc and rode the 48k in the Marin Rough Ride......and came 27th out of 600....(a 43 year old on a 19 year old bike)...who needs the latest and greatest????

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   Second hand in '91 (

Similar Products Used:   You expect me to remember the bikes from 25+ years of riding!!!

Bike Setup:   1989 GT Tequesta, original Dia Compe X1 Rear levers and XCE U brake, Raceface Deus XC riser Bars, Deore Crank, DXR / e-thirteen Chainwheels, DXR / Gusset SS sprockets, London Fixie ISO sprocket, ASDA (Bell)Universal 1/8" chains,
Mavic Crossride rear using slime tube with reversible rear Wheel, SS freewheel or ISO Disc Mounted Fixie :o) Exotic Jump Creature carbon forks, with Mavic 29er front wheel, stopped by Hope M4 DH brake setup..... So in summary the only original bits are the frame, plus rear brake lever and caliper! :o)

Submitted by drab a Weekend Warrior from Everett,WA USA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2009

Strengths:    Solid

Weaknesses:    No complaints so far

Bottom Line:
This is an early 80's model, not sure which year, but I paid only $25, and all I did was air up the tires and lube the chain. I am converting it into a commuter, and other than the big frame, everything is grand.

Favorite Trail:   Interurban

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Standard stuff, previous owner had installed old school bull horn handlebars

Submitted by myspace.com/rttu a Weekend Warrior from portland,oregon, usa

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2009

Strengths:    very good bike, all original but i did change the chain. very light, quiet, strong. for some reason mine has front shocks.

Bottom Line:
this bike is good

Favorite Trail:   mt. tabor

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by RickO a Weekend Warrior from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2008

Strengths:    Durabilty. I've ridden the bike for around 13 years and just replaced chain, rear cassette, and brake shoes this year. Everything else is original equipment. Well besides tires.

Weaknesses:    Shifters and brakes are one assembly. Wanted to switch to v-brakes and was told it would cost more than it was worth to do.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. I love mine. It's great on or off road. Would probably cost double what I originally paid for it to purchase a comparable replacement so I'm taking care of it.

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge