GT Ricochet XC Hardtail

4.35/5 (60 Reviews)

Ricochet

Submitted by Joseph Burkett

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2013

Strengths:    Triple Triangle design is super strong and stiff. Hooks up in the loose stuff and transfers power well. I am a 190 pound rider and this thing supports every bit of my weight. I converted mine to a sinlge speed full rigid and its working out great. The welds are awesome. I could have used a frame a bit smaller but I got it for a steal from a friend. Old School GT!

Weaknesses:    The bar and stem are really the only weak link. However, even the bar is Kore brand. I think it would have faired better with a riser. Given its age, there are no disc brake mounts. 26.8 seat post diameter.

Bottom Line:
Overall, the bike with the factory goodies was decent. If you are lucky enough to get a frame and build it with you own components, do it. It will have with if not out last newer hardtails out there.

Submitted by G-force a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Oregon USA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2011

Strengths:    Sweet platform. Strong, Aluminum, fairly light, Takes punishment. Less expensive than the zaskar.

Weaknesses:    Cranks had a recall on them

Bottom Line:
This bike was a sweet machine for the price. It took everything I could throw at it and I'm not your typical trail rider. I hammered this thing within an inch of it's life and the frame always held strong. I replaced just about everything else, but the frame took it. My dream bike was the '96 zaskar but the price at the time was rediculous so I went with the '96 ricochet and dont regret it. If youtube was around in the late 90's you would know my bike, cause we did some wickid stuff on the streets of Portland until ultimately the streets bit back and I had a terrible accident that resulted in a brain hemorage. I dont ride much anymore but pulled the bike out recently and gave it a tune with the intention to start riding again.

Favorite Trail:   street

Purchased At:   Bike shop

Bike Setup:   Urban assault

Submitted by djewing a Weekend Warrior from Clovis, CA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2010

Strengths:    Frame, good bike, I weigh 275 and have owned this bike since new-12 yrs+ I do jump and am very tough on bikes but this has held up with exception of the oem shifters. Everything else including wheels had been rock solid.

Weaknesses:    Mine was the bars with built in ends - very uncomfortable for long distance riding, Geometry too forward for my tastes. Needs ergo grips too. Brakes are pretty weak when going fast down hill, makes for tough control on trails or street.

Bottom Line:
I have considered going to a full suspension XC bike but I have beat the crud out of this and it still is together and looks great. I like this bike and I plan to upgrade it, hang on to it a bit longer and maybe repaint it-the 90's purple is looking a bit dated :)
This is a great bike especially when youconsider how much you can pick one up for. Great bike for trail riding, commuting pretty thrashworthy IMHO.
Find on on ebay or CL for $250 and ride the heck out of it.

Favorite Trail:   anything

Purchased At:   Loca Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   '88 Univega Hardtail MTB

Bike Setup:   All stock for now but soon to upgrade to a different (shorter) stem, riser bars, kool stop pads, 100-120mm fork with front disc, avid speed dial levers, ergo grips etc..

Submitted by ichi_speed a Weekend Warrior from Fargo, ND 58103

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2009

Strengths:    They don't make frames this strong anymore. The frame fits me perfectly and the whole bike setup is a pleasure to ride on trails.

Weaknesses:    The saddle that came on it when i got it, doubtful it was stock, was trash. So were the bars and stem. No rear disc mounts.

Bottom Line:
This bike will outlast me.

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon Hills

Purchased At:   ebay - pawn shop in

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stump Jumper.

Bike Setup:   GT Ricochet, marzocchi exr fork, tomac tenacious D bars, ritchey excavader tires, mavic wheels, avid mechanical disc front, avid speed dial in the rear, specialized phenom saddle, xtr rear derailleur, lx front, lx cranks, lx shifters, avid brake levers.

Submitted by Carlos a Weekend Warrior from Fort Irwin

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2009

Strengths:    The rims....I am totally amazed by the beat down I have given these rims for the past 10 years, and still they are not twicked!

Weaknesses:    The neck are seems to get loose very often

Bottom Line:
I havve riden this bike in Washington State, Florida, Alaska, and now California for the past 10 years and only had to change tires out. I really don't take care, just abuse and it still takes care of me on the rough trails!

Favorite Trail:   Rainbow Basin, Barstow

Purchased At:   Olympia, WA

Submitted by Andy Sellhorn a Weekend Warrior from Washington, DC

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2009

Strengths:    Bomb proof after all these years. Easily converts into a road rider.

Weaknesses:    Front forks (Rock Shox XC) and strap peddles.

Bottom Line:
With a switch of the tires I can beat on this like I do my Jekyll. Simply a wonderful bike. I have no reason to replace it. V brakes work fine, haven't broken anything but spokes and ribs. I prefer this bike over my road bike because I'm just as fast, more comfortable and not affraid to hop potholes or curbs, dodge cars or weave into small animals.

Favorite Trail:   Kinshasa, Dem Rep of the Congo

Purchased At:   Mountain Bike Depot

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jekyll, Specialized Allez (GT serves both purposes)

Bike Setup:   Still the same old bike with different tires, peddals and brake shoes (LOL). I put low profile tires on to commute because the bike is bomb proof and just as fast as my road bike.

Submitted by Daniel Berzen a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2003

Strengths:    Very solid frame, very light, aluminum. Genius triple triangle design, nice paint job on the frame. Well priced bike in stores. The tires that come with the bike are very nice, and the brakes are quite responsive.

Weaknesses:    The fork leaves a little to be desired, the RockShock Q21 that came stock with mine is way outdated and is soon to be replaced with a bomber. Pedals were replaced with nice Ritchey clipless. And handlebar is to be replaced, but thats my own fault.

Bottom Line:
The weight of the bike is unbelievable light for a bike form its time, and the brakes are very good. But the weight basically saved my life as i went 25km/h head on into a tree. If I was riding a heavier bike, I would have suffered neck damage. This bike can take a lickin and keep on tickin. A true legend of its time. Good bike for downhill riders, at least thats what I find its best for.

Favorite Trail:   Three Stages

Purchased At:   From Friend

Similar Products Used:   A few Trek bikes, specialized rockhopper pro bares a striking resemblance to the richochet.

Bike Setup:   GT Richochet frame, Rockshock Q21 fork, Shimano system, specialized tires. Easton handlebar, italia seat.

Submitted by aaron from pleasanton, california

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2003

Strengths:    this bike, even though fitted now with a five-inch marzzochi fork, has great handling. the size is perfect for me, and it has stayed solid for a good three years of solid trashing. it still has many good years left in it!

Weaknesses:    it doesn't have a rear disc brake mount, but what con you expect from a frame produced before disc brakes were made popular? so this is not really a legit complaint

Bottom Line:
amazing bike for a hardtail enthusiast on a budget. go for it if you don't do huge drops!

Bike Setup:   i have completely rebuilt this bike as a bike perfectly outfitted to the way i like it. fork- marzzochi z1 mcr, wheels- shimano xt disc hubs, rhyno lite rims, shifter/derailur- sram 9.0 composite, cranks- raceface prodigy xc

Submitted by Jim Cole from UK

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2003

Strengths:    nice paint job, strong frame

Weaknesses:    everything apart from the frame

Bottom Line:
after buying this off a mate (he replaced it with a Trek Fuel), I pretty much replaced everything. In fact all that remains is the headset and the seat post. The frame's nice and burly and I've converted it into a nice BSX/street bike. Went a bit overboard as it was intended for use as a second/commute bike, but the bits I've put on it make me nervous leaving it locked up, which was the piont of having it.

I have compromised the geometry with the fork, which mimics a 100mm sus fork, rather than the 60mm (or less) ancient Rock Shock I took off it, but not too evilly. Overall it's a nice little sprinter, but because of the fork lacks the nimbleness of my other bike, an Orange Gringo. At some point the I will buy a proper cro-mo frame like a DMR, Curtis or Cove Stiffee, or perhaps a solid one like the Orange Misle, and put all the bits from this bike on that, and rebuild the Ricochet with the bits I took off it, and have a proper commute bike

I'm an idiot

Purchased At:   off a mate

Similar Products Used:   Orange Gringo

Bike Setup:   Ricochet frame, 24Seven Stem, DMR WingBars, XT 8sp shifter, LX rearmech, Mavics d521s laced to XT hubs, MutanoRaptor 2.4 tyres, cro-mo fork off a Trek Bruiser, Gusset Pygmy cro-mo 3pc cranks, 40T single chain disc

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Fairhaven, MA, United States

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2002

Strengths:    ~beefy frame that can take alot of abuse,
~relatively inexpensive parts specs so they are cheap to replace or upgrade (if you want to pay more for a component that is a little lighter but does the exact same thing),
~great gripping tires,

Weaknesses:    ~fork is lacking especially in the winter when the elastomers freeze
~getting a little hard to find replacements for the cassette since it is a 21 speed bike, after the nipples started pulling through the rims i had to purchase a 9 speed wheel and get a spacer with a 7 speed cassette
~geometry a little too hunched over but nothing that a riser bar can't fix

Bottom Line:
good for a beginner or a rider that wants a strong bike and likes to ride rocky trails and doesn't mind a little heavier bike and a few bumps here and there

Favorite Trail:   Old Faithful, Freetown State Forest

Purchased At:   Village Peddler

Bike Setup:   stock except for clipless pedals, riser bar, 9 speed wheelset, and some replaced components from wear and tear

Submitted by peter a a Racer from Maine

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Strengths:    The bike s great for beginners but the shock and components are only good for begginners who wont give it a lot of abuse. great breaks

Weaknesses:    Indys, shimano platforms, cheap bottom bracket, bad components.

Bottom Line:
good for a recrational rider who doesnt abuse there bike

Favorite Trail:   gimp*

Purchased At:   Allspeed

Similar Products Used:   rainer,caldera,nuna

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Casey a Racer from Indiana

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2001

Strengths:    Good frame, great tires, clipless pedals

Weaknesses:    Terrible fork, generic stem

Bottom Line:
A very good bike for the money. I race colleigate XC and DS, and am very happy with the bike. The only big complaint is te fork, which will bottom out with hard pedaling, breaking, drops, jumping up or down curbs, etc. I only weigh 160, and shouldn't have this problem.

For what I paid, this bike can't be beat. I plan on upgrading many of the components, but its a very nice bike off the floor. Excellent for anyone without much money. (me)

I plan on putting a Chris King headset, LX cranks, new wheels, and a different fork on it as I have the money.

Favorite Trail:   Anderson

Purchased At:   Kessler's

Similar Products Used:   Trek 820, Cannondale F700, ProFlex, Schwinn Rocket 88...a little of everything

Bike Setup:   Rebound Frame, WTB Velocirapto tires, Tioga headset, Ritchey Expert stem, WTB saddle, Stx-RC F&R Derailleurs, Scott clipless pedals.

Submitted by jaimes a Weekend Warrior from walla walla wa

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2001

Strengths:    bombproof frame, good component package, killer price, nice looks (flat black), feels quick even though a bit heavy

Weaknesses:    indy C fork is garbage, kore litebar is a bit weak, cheap pedals, poor headset quality

Bottom Line:
great bike, but replace the whole front end. fork, handlebar, and headset all went out way too soon. I bought it with almost no wear (even though used), so i know how it should have held up. I am not heavy (145), and the kore bar bent on me down a 2' drop. buy this is you want a burly frame and are willing to throw down a few bones for new parts. drivetrain is sweet, and it rides nicely now.

i still like my BMX cruiser more for town riding

Favorite Trail:   anything with tight singletrack

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper,

Bike Setup:   time atac carbons, manitou sx-r, azonics riser, cane creek c-2

Submitted by Trevor Boannno a Cross Country Rider from West Bridgewater, ma, usa

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2000

Strengths:    The frame is a bit heavy but being a beginner cross country ridder i beat that frame bare balls for the first week i had it when i took it up to big bear.The brakes are incredible opver the bike is light strong add clipless pedals and you're on your way to number 1.

Weaknesses:    absolutely none drop it off a cliff and ride home afterwards

Bottom Line:
Get this friggin bike. do not wate another moment on your ass. stop reading the magazines about them and just do it. Beat it up baby it what ever you wish this bike will take car hits drop offs log basher brain/ ball busters and still go home wanting to be riddin hard!Good for beginners to pros! just add about 100-200 bucks in up upgrades and you're at compition level

Favorite Trail:   single track