GT Outpost trail XC Hardtail

4.5/5 (14 Reviews)

GT Outpost trail

Submitted by samh460

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, does the job up and down mountains.

Weaknesses:    the fork was standard but wouldnt necessarily put it into a bad weakness due to the fork doing its job. iv now upgraded to a suntour epicon.

Bottom Line:
i have had this bike now for around 3 years and have looked it and loved riding it. yes i have had some wear and tare problems but thats due to my own actions. If you want a nice decent cheap hairdtail and dont fancy a full suspension then this is the bike for you. People think that GT has poor frame structure but mine has been brilliant. Unfortunately i have to see it the gt go but transferring the parts onto a scott reflex full suspension frame. Like i said if you feel that a hard tail is perfect for yourself then go for that but i would like to mention that if you are going to down do mountain biking but going on red or black trails then going for a full suspension is the way to go, personally. I have been devoted to hardtails, but then tried my dads full sus and loved it.

P.s if anyone does read this, thanks for reading my review and hope it decided what you wanted. Keep riding!!

Submitted by Runmecheng a Weekend Warrior from Waverly, NE, USA

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2011

Strengths:    Nice frame. Good dimensions. Quality components. Rugged.

Weaknesses:    no front shock?

Bottom Line:
Good bike for single track as well as pulling kids in the trailer. After 15 years, the first thing that finally went was the front wheel bearings. Lack of front shock is probably the reason. I still really like this bike, and i'm afraid to go look for another one that i can get the same value out of today. Hopefully there is still someone out there that can build something of this quality and sell it at a reasonable price.

Favorite Trail:   Platte River State Park

Purchased At:   Blues Bikes in Linco

Bike Setup:   Stock 1996 GT Outpost

Submitted by Andrew.Evey a Downhiller from Forest Grove, OR, United states

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2009

Strengths:    Well i would have to say the stock compnents are crap. when i bought this i gave it a complete overhaul.

Weaknesses:    The stock parts.

Bottom Line:
Its a dam good bike if you replace all stock parts. Other then that overhauled the whole bike and took it on trails it should and was never made to see. Any of you who live in the bend area in oregon and are into DH will know the trails im talking about. Over all it looks like a cheap bike but after the upgrades it became the beast. i dont ride it anymore but this bike is a legend and im hanging it on my wall.

Favorite Trail:   Browns Camp

Purchased At:   Schlegel's Bicycle C

Similar Products Used:   (none)

Bike Setup:   Dart 3 Forks, Shimano alivo cranks shifters and derailers front and rear. Sun rims Rihno light Front and rear with quandro Front and rear hubs. Primo peddles. WTB stem and bars. Cane creek headset. Kenda nevgals front and rear tires

Submitted by Krypto a Weekend Warrior from Asheville, NC USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, durable, absolutely no complaints.

Weaknesses:    None that I've noticed.

Bottom Line:
I feel I got a great bike for the money. The only problem I ever had with it was after years of use it did not want to shift into some gears and didn't want to stay in some gears but as it turns out that was due to normal wear and tear. After having the cables replaced and a general tune-up, only one I've had since I've owned the bike, now it shifts just fine. I've ridden both on and off-road over the years and I have no complaints. I've owned this bike for over 10 years now, since 1997.

Purchased At:   New at a bike shop in Wisconsin.

Similar Products Used:   None, this is my first mountain bike.

Bike Setup:   1997 GT Outpost, all stock.

Submitted by john from cartersville ga usa

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2005

Strengths:    Very sturdy frame. Not the heaviest out there. Very upgradable.

Weaknesses:    Your almost required to upgrade the rigid fork. Rear wheel tends to need truing. Tires couldn't grab asphault. Plastic pedals.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. Can be ridden as is forever as long asa you don't thrash it. Doesn't take a lot of money to upgrade so you can thrash it.

Favorite Trail:   Khumatsu

Purchased At:   Lets Roll

Similar Products Used:   KHS Alite 500, Trek 4700, unknown Giant.

Bike Setup:   RST 381CL fork(from a newer Outpost), Shimano Araya CV-7 rear wheel, seat(also from a newer outpost), Maxxis Wormdrive tires, Wellgo aluminum platform pedals.

Submitted by James H a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Or, USA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2005

Strengths:    Super Strong Frame. Everything Shimano! Altus cranks. Built to last.

Weaknesses:    No front shock. Heavy. Not aluminum alloy but Chrome-oly. Plastic break adjustment. Rear wheel not a quick release.

Bottom Line:
This bike kicks ass. Probably take it off of a 50 foot cliff and all you'd have to replace are the break pads and your shorts.

Favorite Trail:   Laramee Trail

Purchased At:   Bob's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Old school Giant or Trek.

Bike Setup:   Tri-point frame. Rapid fire (shimano) shifters. Shimano derailers all around. 21 speed. Nice bike a little on the heavy side.

Submitted by Brendan Curran a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2003

Strengths:    stiff frame, better than aluminum (feels like a litespeed i road, only add an extra 12 lbs. and stick huffy-level components on it), decent braking components, snazzy little aluminum kick stand

Weaknesses:    weak stock brake pads, terrible shifters/disks/de-railers. HEAVY frame, weak stock wheels, way too much heavy chrome on components

Bottom Line:
The bike is a great bike for the price. Components are a little shabby, and it's a bit on the heavy side, but frame is good and stiff.

Favorite Trail:   Wagon Wheel, Wilder Ranch (North of Santa Cruz, CA)

Purchased At:   Hyland Bicylces

Similar Products Used:   Trek 800, Trek 840, Specialized Hardrock

Bike Setup:   stock except as follows: upgraded offroad tires, better rear rim, new brake pads, new rear derailer

Submitted by Rob Miller a Weekend Warrior from Lansdale

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2003

Strengths:    Bullet proof frame. Scram shifters. Great beginner bike. Very durable.

Weaknesses:    HEAVY,HEAVY,HEAVY.
Only 21 speeds.

Bottom Line:
Really can't tell you how impressed I am with this beast. This was my 1st mountain bike. I got it during my strapped for cash days in school and have been riding it HARD for 6 years. Yeah, its heavy, and drive train may be cheap, but I rode this thing almost every day after class in the hilly terrian surrounding IUP in western PA plus the good stuff in eastern PA adding to probably a couple thousand miles, and at 6-4 220 lbs it really never let me down. It's kinda like that 1st car you cant let go. So may miles...

Alas after 6 years of brutal punishment the drive train is shot, and so is my back. Plus my riding has gone past it's limits.

Time for an I-drive FS.

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon

Purchased At:   Cycle Ski & Sport, Indiana, PA

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized FSR comp.

Bike Setup:   Mostly origional components. Added a RST 381 fork and clip pedals.

Submitted by Zach Beck a Downhiller from Oak Ridge, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2002

Strengths:    It's a great bike. When you push it, it lets you feel the trail. I prefer the non-shock system on it for more control and feel.

Weaknesses:    It has some problems with the shifters sometimes. This isn't just mine. Sometimes it will just pop into another gear.

Bottom Line:
Good all-around bike for anyone. It's good for road and trail. on the trail, it lets you feel what you are doing, and reacts with your slightest thought. It's great. It's like the bike is reading your mind! It's good for the intermediate to advanced riders looking for a bike to take anywhere.

Favorite Trail:   North Ridge

Purchased At:   Oak RIdge Bicycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   Agressor, XCR-1000

Bike Setup:   Normal setup, Trek stock-seat.

Submitted by Brooks McDaniel a Cross Country Rider from Ridgefield, CT

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2001

Strengths:    Forgiving steel frame. Upgradability! Great first bike.

Weaknesses:    Components are junk and it's HEAVY.

Bottom Line:
I got this bike for free from my sister who never used it. She gave it to me in 1993 or 1994 and it was my first mountain bike. I really loved riding with my buddies but soon realized that the components were crap. Over the years I upgraded just about everything. Shimano LX drivetrain, lightweight post, seat, bar, wheels, etc. It is really a sweet riding rigid bike that is a great teaching platform. It's hard to find steel frames these days but I prefer them to aluminum because they aren't as stiff. I kept the rigid fork and learned how to let my arms act as shock absorbers. I was just as fast as my friends with front suspension.

This beloved ride was just stolen from me one month ago and I have replaced it with a Cannondale F600 with headshock. I dig my new ride but miss my old-school rigid GT.

Favorite Trail:   any singletrack

Purchased At:   from my sister

Bike Setup:   Over the years, I've upgraded everything except the rigid fork (old school, man!)

Submitted by BIKER TING from SINGAPORE

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2000

Strengths:    Sturdy, stylish (triple triangle) & excellent control.

Weaknesses:    None, except that it could be a little lighter. Seriously, I never any problems with the Acera & Alivio derailluer system. (The chain never dropped out before, in 4 years!)

Bottom Line:
I bought it with my own savings!!! (from holiday job) I loved it from the moment I bought it. This review is sorta tribute for its great service to me. The new 2000 version looks great (with better front shock). I dun think I will buy any new ones, as I am only a weekend rider.

Favorite Trail:   around S'pore island

Purchased At:   Everspring Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Lousy bikes from childhood. The OUTPOST was my 1st serious MTB.

Bike Setup:   1997 OUTPOST, RST 281TL front shock upgrade,(I preferred my old rigid fork),Alivio front & Acera X rear derailluer.

Submitted by from OR

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2000

Strengths:    Great stabilty. this bike was a great investment. I have gone beyond pushing the limits on this bike on and off road. With the right componets this bikes really accelerates!

Weaknesses:    Seat post broke on me a while back and cranks/front fork had some defects but was replaced by GT for free of charge. Other than that I go thru tires, brake pads, cables and grips on a regular basis. Nothing breaks.

Bottom Line:
Great Everything and all for less than $375(which includes all upgrades). IT has been very strong even though I have pushed this bike sometimes too hard.

Similar Products Used:   had a 96 and never complained till it was stolen. This bike had rapid fire shifters which beats those old grip shifts.

Bike Setup:   1997 GT Outpost Trail-every thing stock eccept shimano componets which I have upgraded(the best thing that I have ever done)!

Submitted by josh a Cross-Country Rider from Ft. Lewis, WA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 1999

Strengths:
Sturdy frame and real reliable.

Weaknesses:
Heavy, kinda junky components. Had to put on xt brakes and levers to stop well.

Bottom Line:
overall a great beginner bike! once you get more comfortable with it you can really push the bikes limits.

miller hill @ Bluff