GT Backwoods Bike XC Hardtail

4.39/5 (109 Reviews)

Backwoods

Submitted by David Burrow a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight in its day. Lasts forever.

Bottom Line:
Bought my GT Backwoods in 1997 and hammered it. Upgraded to Rockshox Judy XC forks in 1998 and hammered it even more. This bike took everything I could throw at it from commuting to trail riding to competition. Then I got a wife and kids and it fell into disuse. Now back in the saddle and got myself a Specialized FSR XC Comp for trails. I have now rebuilt the GT as a commuter. Had to change the bars and stem to create a shorter cockpit for my older and slightly more robust frame, still love it though. This is a bike I will never part with and was a bargain to boot.

Purchased At:   J E James Cycles, Sh

Submitted by Skrufryder a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2012

Strengths:    Frame is supper strong, and fast!

Weaknesses:    Stock parts????

Bottom Line:
I dought mine off craigslist from the original owner. He sold it cuz he upgraded to a newer avalanch. guy wanted disc breaks. I bought just as a cruiser/loaner. I have 3 other GT's. As with every one else who has a GT I wouldnt sell or trade mine EVER!

Favorite Trail:   more of a bar hopper than anything.

Purchased At:   CL

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper,rockhopper random DB's, Trek 950,3700,4500, Schwinn's, Religh's.

Bike Setup:   Bomber 80mm, GT piston stem, cruiser bars, avid 2.0 v brakes and levers, Xrims laced to some black hubs, white wall tires,Old stx rear der, shimano 7spd sftr, unknown cranks w/42th

Submitted by thekreele a Cross Country Rider from SLO County, CA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight. Decent forks.

Weaknesses:    Rim Breaks

Bottom Line:
This bike has proved to be a solid trail bike throughout San Luis Obispo County trails. Its a little rough, like most hardtails. But its lightweight and fast. The Uphill climbs are a breeze, and it flies on small jumps due to its light weight. I'm probably gonna upgrade to a full suspension ride soon, but for now this is a good hardtail. Its great for getting around town quick, and easy. I used to keep up with my friend on his road bike using that GT until I got a roadbike of my own.

Favorite Trail:   Montana De Oro

Purchased At:   Baywood Cyclery (Use

Similar Products Used:   Cheap Hardtails

Submitted by jonny4475 a Cross Country Rider from portland

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2010

Strengths:    durable, light frame for mntn bike for easy portage across streams & 3rd floor apt. living. this bike has been used for 16yrs as a cross country bike and daily commuter.i added a judy fork in 1995 and over the years i've pretty much replaced everything that came with it, but the frame has outlasted a nice mongoose mntn bike and a few decent road bikes and remains my favorite.handles real nice for trail riding, powerlines, etc...

Weaknesses:    Havent experienced it firsthand as i'm more of a trail/cross country rider, but my landlord (who turned me on to aluminum frames) had his frame crack after a couple seasons of hard off road/downhill riding.

Bottom Line:
solid bike.

Favorite Trail:   me

Purchased At:   allspeed

Similar Products Used:   1995 IBOC zero-g

Bike Setup:   bontranger rims, mid-price shimano components, judy fork circa 1995. other stuff is mostly off the shelf stock.

Submitted by bonjovi9876 a Weekend Warrior from LA, CA.

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2010

Strengths:    excellent condition

Weaknesses:    cheap parts, already swapped

Bottom Line:
Some moron didn't know what he threw away. Only thing wrong with it was a stripped crank arm at the pedal threading. Dumbass

Favorite Trail:   butt cracs

Purchased At:   found on street

Submitted by kiwimtb a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2010

Bottom Line:
We have a 97 Backwoods that my husband rode for a number of years then we he upgraded I inherited it. It's now been ridden for over 12 years - still shifts smoothly, everything working brilliantly, no upgrades/replacements on drivetrain.... Only just replacing it as I've finally stuffed the shocks and my husband has been trying to convince me to use disc brakes for years.

Submitted by gardy Faustin a Racer from brooklyn

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2005

Strengths:    very strong frame like a rottweiller.

Weaknesses:    rims are not the best.

Bottom Line:
this is definitely the bike to get and you want to have fun on the road. you can do anything with the gt backwood.wheelies everything. i love my bike . it keeps me happy

Favorite Trail:   prospect park

Purchased At:   my friend's house

Bike Setup:   stock stx components. kenda slick tires.pauls shifters and brake levers. Chris king head set. crow bar handle bar.kore stem. and many more

Submitted by Frank Clemens a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2005

Strengths:    Reliable components, great handling and response. Looks cool.

Weaknesses:    That the frame cracked and GT wouldn't replace it for some corporate reason.

Bottom Line:
I thought I was the only one who had an experience like the previous submission. My Backwoods frame developed 3 small cracks where the top tube and down tube meet, I have no idea how or when. The bike can still be ridden but it's dangerous as it's certain to get worse. I went through a ton of leg work trying to have it replaced but kept getting shut down as it's a 1996 and for whatever reason that voids the lifetime warranty the bike supposedly had. I loved the bike up until all of this went down so low chilis for this disgruntled GT owner.

Favorite Trail:   The tight, technical kind

Purchased At:   Local Shop, 1996

Similar Products Used:   Trek 820

Bike Setup:   Pretty much out of the crate.

Submitted by Taylor a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2005

Strengths:    Good components, light weight

Weaknesses:    A little pricey, weak frame & negated warranty (1995)

Bottom Line:
This bike served me very well up until the headset developed multiple cracks in the upper and lower portion after 7 years of average use. I'm only 180 pounds and never beat this bike yet the frame is cracking apart. The bearing seats must be out of round as a result and the steering is way off now - it's out of commission. I never took the bike off jumps and figure the rocky descents must have vibrated the frame to death. The worst part is the stone walling I took from GT when I attempted to have the lifetime warranty on the frame honored - they really treated me like a tool - a classic big business blow off. I might still be riding a GT if my frame's lifetime warranty wasn't negated by GT's bankrupcy/company change BS. Maybe I just got a lemon but have to say it's been a very distasteful experience the way this bike worked out.

Favorite Trail:   Maryland Woods

Purchased At:   Princeton, NJ bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek 850, 7000

Bike Setup:   Soft terrain tires, slimmer seat, stronger bars

Submitted by ignaz a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2004

Strengths:    Strong frame, nice chrome look, does everything except downhill well.

Weaknesses:    Cheapo components. But who cares!

Bottom Line:
Did lots of riding on it, took alot of abuse since Jan97. Became a whole lot faster on this bike. Now converted to my commute and hill climb training bike. Great bike to train speed and stamina on. To make it more bearable, I added a short stem and downhill bars to change the ride posture, combined now with michelin 1.95 tyres.

All these years the only thing that needs changing frequently is the cassette and chain, every 3 to 4 months for my style of riding. Front tyre lasted 7 years and the rear lasts 1 - 2 years, but I tend to ride them till the tread shows.

Get it new or used because it's one of those bike frames that I couldn't break.

Similar Products Used:   Other rigid bikes.

Bike Setup:   All stock except for the rear tyres, cassette, chain, handlebars and stem. Added a Rock Shock Jett -(1999/2000)?

Submitted by Biff a Downhiller from Philly/Denver

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2004

Strengths:    Looks and feels very solid. Love the silver color and boldens of frame.

Weaknesses:    I would have to say by looking at it now that the components low class, but they are easly upgradeable

Bottom Line:
I orginaly tried to get my old GT Teqesta repaired, it got shiped from colorado and got a little roughed up by the move (Bent carnks, Dlerailer, Brakes ect.. Anyway it needed about $200 of repair work (Bike parts worth around 2 grand). I was just about to get it fixed when, the bike guy, told me to go look out front, there it was the "A shiny used silver GT Backwoods" begging for my attention so I purchased it rather then fix my beloved Gt Tequesta. I am just gona switch over my good parts to it. i was gona get a new frame for my GT Teqesta anyway, so now i saved myself alot of money and got a real good solid framse. Any way the point of this story is that I love GT Bikes, I have owned 3 GT Bikes now for the past 17 years, including BMX. Theres nothing like a GT feel when coming down trail!

Similar Products Used:   GT Teqesta

Bike Setup:   Bontrager Rims, seat post/seat. Ringle skewers. Rok shox Quadra 21 r's, control tech stem and handle bars, and right now currently running the stock components on my Old/New Backwoods, untill they where out and I replace them with xt's/Xtr's

Submitted by Warren a Weekend Warrior from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Strengths:    As everybody has said, one tuff frame! Sturdy oversized tubing puts you in the right direction evertime. Well balanced. Cannot fault this frame at all!

Weaknesses:    Original crap running gear. As expected for the price. Mainly bought the bike for the quality frame & update as I go.

Bottom Line:
Extremely happy with this bike & the components i have added.I have done plenty of miles on this bike & hope to continue. Ridden once a week just about for the past 7 years completely on dirt tracks, firetrails, single track, rock dropoffs, logs, creeks etc. I have puinished this bike broken rims, derailers, dropout etc & yet it still goes fine. I've ridden at Thredbo, Canberra, Blue Mountains all through the Illawara & southern Sydney lots of places lots of terrain & lots of memories. I guess this reveiw is a few years late, but hey if it's still running fine you should let people know the brand of quality! for future purchases.

Favorite Trail:   six foot track & belambi mines wollongong

Purchased At:   Calypso cycles newtown

Bike Setup:   replaced derailer etc with deore added rockshock xc judy's in 96. Still running the 96 judys today.(maybe due for an upgrade)

Submitted by Adam Joyner a Cross Country Rider from Michigan/now living in Texas

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2002

Strengths:    Strong Frame....I've put this bike through alot and it keeps asking for more.

Weaknesses:    hmmm....if I had to pick one I'd say the tires...Tioga Psycho K's.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for any type of riding. I've ran this bike in mud, sand, rocks, stumps....you name it and it holds up and begs for more. I've got about 1000 miles on it and the original components are still kicking and when they wear out this is the type of bike you can slap some xt's or xtr's on and be spending your money wisely. I gotta give it 5 flamin turds for value and overall. Get it if you can still find it.

Favorite Trail:   Ft. Custer