GT Avalanche 3.0 XC Hardtail

3.61/5 (72 Reviews)

New 6061 Aluminum (TT, ST, DT) Frame, Triple Triangle Frame Construction, Forged Bottom Bracket, Dropouts, and 1 1/8" Headtube. SR Suntour XCM-V3 MLO w/100mm Travel QR, Lockout Fork and Suntour XCT 42/32/22T Crank.

Submitted by Tehudis

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2014

Strengths:    Styled, quality, value

Weaknesses:    Roads, is a better bike on off road terrain

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price, I would really recommend this bike, specially for off road, if going to do roads switch tires to the hybrids

Submitted by Kye Barker

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2014

Strengths:    Absolutely NON

Weaknesses:    10miles- Crank bolt sheared off
50miles- had to get a replacement 2nd crank
60miles. Rear cassette (snapped bottom chain ring when going up hill)
80miles- Chain just snapped
150miles- Brakes needed bleeding due to air in the system
200miles- Both wheel bearing had to be replace due to play in them. Also very cheap thing maxxis tyres worn out

Bottom Line:
DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE. Has a nice frame but everything else is cheap.
You will end up replacing everything just like me.

I have owned this bike for 2 years from new. I have spent more than the price on it again upgrading cheap parts. I should of just bought a better bike to begin with. I have replaced:

Crank £70
Chain £20
Cassette £20
Tyres £50
Brake Re-bleed £30

Submitted by richard

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2013

Strengths:    Where to start its a gt its niece

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Its like new used it on a couple of hikes and I also have a 56 ' mountain road bike that am getting rid of need the cash 619) 634-5904 thanks

Submitted by mk.utlra

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2012

Strengths:    Good frame, excellent overall components for the price

Weaknesses:    Stock pedals are terrible plastic, very hard to get the disc brakes to not rub, brake and shifter cable clips come pop off quickly but zipties fix this easily

Bottom Line:
Overall the GT Avalanche 3.0 is an excellent entry level bike. For the money you'd be crazy to be complaining about the components. This bike is solid.

Submitted by Miguel

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2012

Strengths:    Good bike. Comfy saddle, nice wide handlebars, good tires, smooth drivetrain, shifts perfectly.

Weaknesses:    Heavy around 33lb. The fork is not great. The breaks are not great.

Bottom Line:
I upgraded the fork and the rear brake after some use and now feel great about the bike.

Submitted by trailblazer26 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2012

Strengths:    frame

Weaknesses:    components

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike October of 2011 . I have easily put 1900 or more miles on this bike. I will be real with you i have used this bike as a daily commuter and i have hit all the trails in south Florida . lets be real you get what you pay for . luckily i have a great LBS and they replaced everything no questions asked and any problems I have had they have fixed. if you are going to buy this bike make sure the LBS you go to will stand behind their product 100% for the first year or at least 10 mounths .
You cant expect it not to break its a starter bike. have fun with it scratch it use it destroy it. and when your all done go buy your self the 1500-3500 bike of your dreams

parts i have replaced
pedals are plastic and garbage
front derailleur replace
rear wheel hub
first set of tries wore out quick

brakes squeak but once you adjust brakes and properly break in pads you shouldn't have problems

Purchased At:   hialeah schwinn

Submitted by Ti a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2012

Strengths:    The FRAME. Disk brakes. The PRICE!

Weaknesses:    Components are entry level. Crankset had no provision for chainring replacement, the chainrings were riveted to the spider.

Bottom Line:
This is the go to, daily driver. I bought this bike as a training rider. Why wear out the high-end ultralight XC machine for training? Plus you can turn your back on it and not worry too much about being out alot of money if taken.

Price point is fantastic at Performance for $250 on sale. I've owned this now for 9 years from new. I have replaced every component except frame, bottom bracket, stem, headset, saddle, brake calipers, and front derailluer. Take some weight out by finding a much lighter fork first. Amazing how much more responsive with a lighter fork.

This bike has been riden extensively and just keeps going. Frame is extremely robust. The WTB/GT Speed V saddle is one of the most comfortable saddles I've ever ridden

Favorite Trail:   Rollinsville to Winter Park

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Old school Raleigh's, Fishers, Ross HT's

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche 3.0 frame size Medium, Tektro discs(stock on bike)/ Forte levers. Shim XT 8 spd shift pods, XT rear der, SRAM 8 sp cass, Shim Alivio crankset(u can replace chainrings!), shim tapered BB, Wipperman SS chain, Manitou MRD susp fork, White Bros hubs F/R w WTB disc rims, GT stem, Salsa Go-Moto Risers, Control Tech bar ends, Odyssey triple traps with toe clips, Ritchey seatpost and the stock WTB/GT Speed V saddle.

Submitted by Big Dave a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2012

Strengths:    2011 Black Green & White frame looks so good and the price

Weaknesses:    Wheels wore out after about 2000miles pedals went after about 300 miles

Bottom Line:
Great bike great work horse use it everyday best use for long distance riding. Love mine that much knowing it wasn't very high spec changed brakes too Deore Rolf Dolomite wheels Carbon bars and seat post and changed crank

Favorite Trail:   Coast 2 Coast

Purchased At:   Darke |Cycles Sunder

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanche 2.0 2006

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche 3.0 2011, Gravity carbon bars, Rolf dolomite wheels, Protech carbon seat post

Submitted by jp a Weekend Warrior from sandton

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2011

Strengths:    its price

Bottom Line:
This is a rip off

This bike is a disaster; I have had a gt 3 2012 for 4 months now I had to have it serviced nearly every 4 weeks and even had a breakdown whilst cycling on the road the rear derailleur just folded into it self the best part of all this they would not replace there part nor would they return it so that I may attach a photo of their failed product. Changing gears is a nightmare it will work for a day or two after you had it serviced then its back to its normal jumping. Don’t even think about putting the bike on a proper dirt trail as I don’t think it will you will come back on it.

The services are not cheap either. By the next services I would have spend more on maintenance cost then the cost of the cycle, I have been using the cycle for training for the 94.7 road race and the only off road cycling I have done was on northern farm defiantly not heavy off-road conditions. In short this is my first mountain bike and my first race and the lesson learned is buying cheap and you get despicable quality

Favorite Trail:   northern farm

Purchased At:   Eagle canyon cycles

Similar Products Used:   my first bike

Bike Setup:   done by Eagle canyon cycles

Submitted by SGP495 a Downhiller from Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2011

Strengths:    -Good Looking
-Nice tires (Maxxis Moobsters 2.35 and 2.10 - Now discontinued )
-Nice saddle (WTB)
-Very strong and good looking frame (always loved the triple triangle design)
-Nice GT grips (same as high end GT bikes)
-Cool stickers (nice look like I said although I'm sick of all the squares)

Weaknesses:    -Rear derailleur isn't good (constantly jumping gears)
-Front derailleur almost went off after I took a couple jumps and did some medium/intense trail riding. I still can't adjust it right 4 months later.
-The pedals aren't good either (left one broke 2-3 months after I bought the bike. I believe I took a 2ft drop on flat)
-Brakes are a nightmare (constantly squealing and I need to adjust them every 2-3 ride.
-The fork is horrible, it says for "recreational trail riding" on suntour's website. That explains a lot! I tried a RS Judy year 1999 and it was way, way better.
-I couldn't find any info on the rims at all? I guess it says a lot but apparently they are alexrims if I'm not mistaken since I took off all the those stickers..don't like yellow squares.
-The crank isn't any good obviously since it's made by suntour.
-The 9 speed cassette is decent though but nothing special either.
-All the cables went off at some point, almost crashed.
-The hubs? Well I was scared thinking about it.
-The tubes are so skinny..I changed them both for puncture resistant after getting 5 or 6 flats.

Bottom Line:
I thought I'd get something better for 600$CAN but now I'm realizing that this bike is made of basic components that are worth nothing. The only thing good about this bike is the frame. I wish I knew that before, I would have probably just got myself a used bike for 700$CAN and it would rock. Everything is such a rip off in Montreal/Canada..

I suggest you to not take any jumps and don't do anything with it except "recreational trail riding" or you will end up having to waste money.

It sure is a good bike for a noob though. It will introduce you to mountain biking and all that stuff. But don't pay more than 500$ for it.

Purchased At:   ABC

Bike Setup:   I changed the saddle for THE one's but I won't change anything else. Was thinking about changing the brakes and other stuff but I'd rather get a better bike than waste my money to change literally all the components.

Submitted by Longeezy a Weekend Warrior from arlington tx

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2011

Strengths:    the frame feels very solid, lockout fork and is great for any noob that wants to take it to the next level

Weaknesses:    it can use a better fork but it works for the price of the setup, the wheels can be better also, and a bit on the heavy side

Bottom Line:
I ride 1-2 times a weeks and I ride as hard as I can which also involves whipping out hard and hitting roots hard and let me tell ya this bike can take a beating and the components on it can get the job done, i would recommend this bike to any new rider
PS WEAR A HELMET ALWAYS

Favorite Trail:   river legacy

Purchased At:   mansfield bicycles

Similar Products Used:   trek 3 series

Submitted by Colby a Cross Country Rider from Houston, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2011

Strengths:    Great looks in white, I going to say excellent entry into an addiction lol. For a first rig, its amazing.

Weaknesses:    I despise the fork, and stock pedals.

Bottom Line:
I am hooked. I hit the trails daily and can't stop. Buying my wife the same bike this weekend.

I highly suggest this bike for your first. Plenty to upgrade if warranted but my skillz lack so no need. Great one for loosing your MTB cherry.

I personally think the value is excellent if new is what you want.
No 5 rate for cheaper components but when in perspective for price point its probably the best.

Favorite Trail:   Memorial parks "Green trail"

Purchased At:   Performance Bike (Ho

Similar Products Used:   N/a Walmart mongoose isn't even comparative.

Bike Setup:   Forte pedals. Soon RockShox or similar fork. Hubs etc. So much wanting and dreaming.

Submitted by InsomN a Weekend Warrior from Manchester

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2011

Strengths:    This is the GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro Disc 2011 model.

The Tektro Auriga Comp Hydro break set up is extremely satisfying after beding in the pads.

Shimano Deore 24 speed with the SR SunTour PFF drive chain is smooth and responsive.

The overall Ride and feel of this bike exceed's the price of £500. The Price to performance ratio really makes this bike worth the purchase.

Weaknesses:    The XCM V3 SunTour Forks are comfortable but do bottom out on rough trails. Also the lock out is on the forks rather than on the handle Bars, small fault but nothing major.

The Tektro Auriga break levers feel great but are the piston is easily ripped out in the event of a crash (as i unfortunatly found out :P) easily poped back in but unless fixed properly (New piston head washer fitted) the break can feel quite squishy and unresposive with out putting more than two finger breaking into effect.

Bottom Line:
Overall a great Mid range hard tail that is perfect for any one looking to make the step up from that first rig they bought.

Favorite Trail:   I make my Own

Purchased At:   Winstaleysbikes.co.u

Similar Products Used:   GT Agressor Pro.

Bike Setup:   Standard.

Submitted by Mdcbiking a Downhiller from Walnut Creek, California, United States

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2011

Strengths:    The Frame is probably the srongest part on my bike but everything ele is pretty good too. Some people dislike the shocks on this bike but if you take care of them properly they work fine.

Weaknesses:    The derailluer(Shimano Alivio) is horrible. I definately recommend a chainstay or replacment for anyone who owns this bike because the derailluer is loose and really scratches the frame. The disc brakes can really start rubbing after awhile and it gets annoying. Try not to get any wd-40 on them!

Bottom Line:
All-in-All it's worth the price and buy. I reccomend it to anyone who is a beginner and likes to go fast and get dirty in the Open Space.

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycl

Bike Setup:   Gt Avalanche 3.0 Frame, Race Face Atlas am riser bars, Race Face Sniper lock on grips, Azonic Barretta stem, Sram x-5 derailleur, Race Face Dunce seat, all other products included on bike.

Submitted by ZigyRat a Weekend Warrior from Suffolk, VA, U.S

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2011

Strengths:    Frame is solid (but very heavy)
Shifter and derailer seems good.

Weaknesses:    Suntour XCM V3 forks are weak, I know its only a mid grade bike but these forks are really cheap, they bottom out at full travel just hitting larger bumps on the sidewalk!? Even when I have them locked out, they still have a small amount of travel and bottom out on every little crack, like metal to metal bottom out! VERY, VERY CHEAP!
The Tektro Disc Brakes are also very Cheap, the discs warp Rediculously easy and the pads need to be adjusted constantly. I,ve only had the bike for a few days and have only ridden it on the street right around the naborhood So, imagine what a nightmare its going to be once its out on an average trail?

Bottom Line:
I used to be an avid mountain biker but have been away from it for 4 or 5 years. I've gotten the itch again but don't want to drop 1k+ just yet.
After reading a lot of the reviews here and other sites I thought this bike was about the best in my price range and would be a good buy on a good Mid grade bike.. Trust me when I say, It's not! The components that they are pushing off on bikes today are trash. When I bought my Gary Fisher back in 2002 It had Manitou elite 6 shocks (very sufficient) those were considered the mid grade forks then.. Suntour and RST were the junk department store brand of forks, now their trying to tell everyone that they are much more of a quality and reliable brand, I bought into it.. BS! they are still junk just like they were back then.
It seems to me like they have created a whole new level of cheap components and in turn are now calling the old cheap components the new Mid level components and pricing them as so.
Bottom line: Unless your ready to spend 1200 plus on a "decent" Mountain bike or hunt something used down on ebay at a decent price, you might as well buy a bike at a box store for 100-200 bucks and get the same quality as a bike like the GT Avalanche 3.0 or equivalent.
I have decided to return the GT and look for something good but used on ebay.

Favorite Trail:   Street and Trail

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Previous bikes: Trek, 6500 / Gary Fisher, Tassahara.

Bike Setup:   Stock from manufacturer (Made in China) Just saying..

Trek 3500 or GT Avalanche 3.0 disc...

Both of these just popped up on CL... the Trek is $200, but it's not a 3500 disc, and the GT is $300 which I think might be a tad high... Any advise? Can I add disc brakes to a standard 3500? I can't tell if those have caliper mounts or not...Read More »

2012 gt avalanche 3.0, good beginner worth the price?

i am still looking for the best beginner bike for me. i found this bike on CL in my area and i dont know anything about the parts on it. here is a list of all the parts on it: [FONT=Times New Roman]GT avalanche 3.0 Frame[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]sr suntour v3 fork[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman] ... Read More »

GT Avalanche 3.0 What to buy after busting front Tyre (stock MAXXIS Sphynx)

Hey dudes and dudettes! I was hoping you guys could me clarify on a tyre issue. So i managed to finish my first MTB event (with broken eye glasses, broken phone) but i totally busted my front tyre, even after changing the tube the side of the tyre feels it has the consistency of a childs balo ... Read More »

2011 Giant Revel 0 vs 2013 GT Avalanche 3.0

Is the 2011 Giant Revel 0 a better bike than the 2013 GT Avalanche 3.0? I am trying to buy my first mountain bike and I have found a good deal on the 2011 Giant Revel 0 and the 2013 GT Avalanche. They both cost around $550 and They seem to be similar on major components. Here are the specs for both ... Read More »

GT Avalanche 3.0 or Mongoose Tyax Comp?

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'm just seeking some advice. I'm looking for an entry-level hardtail and am struggling to decide between the GT Avalanche 3.0 2012 or Mongoose Tyax Comp 2012. I've found pretty good deals on both, the GT being £384 down from £550, and the Mongoose at £340 dow ... Read More »