GT Avalanche 2.0 XC Hardtail

4.05/5 (60 Reviews)

GT Avalanche 2.0. The quintessential go-to GT All-Terra MTB is loaded with huge features: Rock Shox XC28TK suspension fork, Tektro Draco Pro hydraulic disc brakes, 27-speed Shimano drivetrain and the legendary 6061 alloy aluminum Triple Triangle frameset

Submitted by Will a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2013

Strengths:    Great frame. I love the geometry which allows me to sit up a little straighter. The fork is not great, but not bad for the money. I got it clearanced for 450$. Great rims, tires, adequate shifters, solid crank, seat post, and cool headset.

Weaknesses:    I upgraded the forks to Rock Recon Silver. At 46 and a grandfather, I need a great shock.

Bottom Line:
Good bike, with a few upgrades it is great.

Favorite Trail:   Pineridge in Fort Collins

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Performance

Submitted by B Johns a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2013

Strengths:    Nice component suite for the money. Rides well. Tough frame that exhibits very little flex. I don't mind the stock tyres as they've lasted well for the kilometers and hook up nicely on the corners (I ride sub-tropical hinterland/coastal trails). I swap between them and Schwable Landcruisers for road use. The fork is not bad and I've hadn't had any issues with it and I like to think I go at a reasonable clip down the rough stuff. Brakes are okay but after swapping out the stock pads for nukeproof trail ones they're a lot better.

The WTB Pure-V saddle is quite comfy too.

No component failures. Usual regular maintenance and surprisingly little adjustment has been needed.

Weaknesses:    On the heavy side but meh if that saves me $$$ then cool. If I wanted to spend money to reduce weight then I guess a lighter tubeless wheelset and maybe a 2 piece crank/bb.

Like others have said, treat the stock flat pedals as placeholders for something decent :)

Bottom Line:
Australian 2010 model. Spec: Alivio shifters and front derailleur, FSA three piece triple crank, Deore Shadow rear derailleur, Deore 9sp cassette. Tektro Draco discs. Suntour XCR LO 100mm forks. Alex rims, all-terra hubs, stem, bars, seat post, WTB Pure-V saddle. Maxxis Mobster tyres (2.35 F, 2.1 R).

Duration Product Used:   >2000 km

Submitted by tk a Downhiller from sherwood park, canada

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2011

Strengths:    very comfortable bike, feels good -looks good too
black and blue sporty looking

Weaknesses:    low end crank and chain, brakes fade when heated(TEKTRO)
shocks are too light too (bottom out even with heavier springs)

Bottom Line:
for the same money, Santa cruz or Giant and Kona *have superior parts from the get go. Larger guys 210 plus need more strength in parts for hills and trails. my old Kona blows my gt away in the crank. the place who sold me my bike was whining about better gear usage on my part.For the record my Kona was 7 years older and 200 bucks cheaper never blown a crank. the Gt i destroyed pedaling up a slight up hill trying to train my legs...cheap! put proper parts on these bikes we are on to this now! i have 4 kids that will never purchase a GT now. GT stock shocks are weak too, ive bottomed out lots - forcing me to lock out...so whats the point of a shock if its locked out? if your a well built guy over 200LBS - buy a KONA or Santa Cruz Giant.
GT is fine for a joy ride to sev for a slushi only. for hills and trails leave it to the real bikes!

Favorite Trail:   jasper AB to Minnow lake

Purchased At:   ms/gears

Similar Products Used:   KONA...much stronger bike not as comfortable

Bike Setup:   09 GT Avalanche 2.0 stock- black and blue

Submitted by Pat Mgroin a Weekend Warrior from Glendale, CA, US

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2011

Strengths:    Love the disk brakes! The ride is predictable and you get a good steering feel going downhill. Shocks are very good for it's price. Steering is quick and responsive. Light!

Weaknesses:    Hmm...Not a full suspension bike?
None for me

Bottom Line:
All in all the best bang for the buck. You will not regret it. High end components, you would need to pay almost double to get the name "Trek" on this bike...if you know what I mean.
Love it!

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Submitted by Gibbo_MTB a Weekend Warrior from Palmerston, NT, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2011

Strengths:    Strong frame, great stabilty

Weaknesses:    Forks are not very good, rear hub isn't that strong

Bottom Line:
This bike can take a pounding and still ride fine. I've taken it off drops and all and never seems to have a problem. However the forks are not strong and bottom out all the time. Rear hub is very easily damaged, would recommed that hubs get replaced after a year. All in all a great bike for those who are begining and need something that will last them a long time.

Favorite Trail:   Pine Forest

Purchased At:   Spokes NT

Similar Products Used:   Orbea (can't remember the modal)

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Harley98c a Weekend Warrior from Ohio

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2010

Strengths:    Price for barley ridden 2008 GT Avalanche 2.0 disc.

Weaknesses:    Not enough experience yet.

Bottom Line:
Just getting into MTB but I wanted something decent and the price was right. Will add additional review after 1 year of ridding. Will ride local trails and basic road cruises with family.

Favorite Trail:   Alum Creek

Purchased At:   Ctaigslist

Similar Products Used:   Nishiki, Giant

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Pedals.

Submitted by Ivan a Downhiller from Apex, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2010

Strengths:    this bike has a very stiff and frame which allows for alot of stability. the stock fork doesn't leave alot to be desired either. i've never had any problems with mine

Weaknesses:    Front Suspension can have a mind of its own sometimes, but over all not to bad.

Bottom Line:
i usually ride soft tail bikes but this hard tail GT made me rethink hardtails all togather. this bike is deffenetly a fun ride for anybody how is interested in beginning mountain biking seriously.

Favorite Trail:   Regency Park

Bike Setup:   Kenda Nevegal tires.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2010

Strengths:    I purchased this bike from a good friend of mine who bought it new and became a serious rider. He rode it hard for a year and I have now have rode it hard for a year. We ride some really hard trials and lots of rocks and some minor downhill action. I have crashed a few times on this bike. It is unbelievable how tough this bike it. It is very stable and handles well. I love this bike and now feel some brand loyalty to GT for making such a great bike. To make the bike go faster ride often and develop your lungs and legs and BAM your bike will fly. Once the derailleur is dialed in it seems to stay that way...but I clean my bike often.

Weaknesses:    It is a little heavy...when getting into serious riding you can feel the weight. But its more of a workout right?

Bottom Line:
This bike took me from a beginning mountain biker to a serious intermediate rider and is still going strong. I would Highly recommend this bike to anyone that want to really ride but cant afford a high end $2000 bike. It is tough as they come and it feels very stable to me. I clean my bike every three rides and keep it tuned up and have had NO PROBLEMS with this bike. I just took it downhill in the mountains here and bombed some pretty steep drops and all (butt hanging off of back tire ride) and it just took it like a champ. I love this bike! Thanks GT

Favorite Trail:   Fantasy Island

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   I had a Nishiki Colorado 1997 model. Not as stable and tough as this bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock expect for a cheat seat with foam. And some custom light pedals from performance bike.

Submitted by fishmandan a Weekend Warrior from oregon

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2010

Strengths:    strong frame, lock out, disk brakes.

Weaknesses:    tires suck

Bottom Line:
the bike is great. loved everything about it except the kenda nevegal tires, no traction what so ever. i've put about 200 trail miles on it going up and down steep coastal mountain trails. bike handles great even when the trails get technical and steep. i will put new forks on the bike eventually but for now thay seem to be holding up just fine. if your looking for a good bike to get started out on then this is the one, i know ill be holding onto mine for a long time.

Favorite Trail:   tillamook burn

Purchased At:   performance bike sho

Similar Products Used:   old specialized hardrock

Bike Setup:   2010 GT Avalanche 2.0
michelin country mud tires

Submitted by sasquatch35 a Cross Country Rider from Rowlett, TX, US

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2010

Strengths:    Great geometry, I'm just over 6" and its hard to find a 26er that doesn't feel awkward or look awkwardly big. Used to ride on the aggressor frame but after 4 years I decided to switch to something a little higher up.

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
I bought an Aggressor stocked back in 06 just to get around. Slowly I started riding more, then I got offroad and began upgrading parts. This Avalanche frame is awesome. Looks good, rides great, and holds up. Had 5000+ miles on the Aggressor and I'm hoping to have this even longer. GT makes the sturdiest frames in the cycling world.

Favorite Trail:   Bar - H Ranch

Purchased At:   Online Forum

Similar Products Used:   GT Aggressor

Bike Setup:   Custom Build. Wheels: Red Velocity Rims -> XT Hubs. XTR front and rear der. LX shifters and rim breaks(rim > disc). XCM2 fork and low end shimano crank.

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from Dublin, Ireland

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    Light, fast, comfortable, just a real smooth ride on country roads.

Weaknesses:    Gears sometimes slip on hard ascents which can be scary as well as sore on occasion.

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for about four years and its still going strong with most of its original set up. Only parts I've changed are the stock pedals which I changed to spd's. Tho I've replaced a few parts such as cabling, chain and installed hydraulic brakes instead of the standard v brakes that came with it and a gel saddle as the last one got torn after bursting form much use. I must have clocked up well in excess of 5000 kilometers on this bike on long commutes and long treks up in the hills and its still going strong and is extremely reliable. I love this bike and am seriously considering upgrading the forks and overhauling parts such as tyres and rims rather than upgrade to a newer bike.

Favorite Trail:   Wicklow Mts

Similar Products Used:   Trek ZX7000, GT Outland,

Bike Setup:   Stock Rock Shox Judy TT's, Shimano SPD's, Disc Brakes

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from Denver, Colorado

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2010

Strengths:    Solid construction, decent mechanical disc brakes, XCR lock out for less than $500

Weaknesses:    Kind of heavy, front fork is difficult to dial in with axle

Bottom Line:
The bottom line... The GT is actually more solidly built than the Giant and Specialized. It is very fast on roads, and handles intermediate XC and single tracks with ease. The Front Lock-out is a nice perk for such an inexpensive bike. I am much more pleased with this bike's XC capability and overall ride height than the Specialized. I have a new found respect for GT and Performance Bicycles in general. Very satisfied... You WILL NOT FIND A BETTER BIKE FOR UNDER $500...

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   2005 Specialized HardRock Sport
2008 Giant Boulder SE

Submitted by scdsstudent a Weekend Warrior from sacramento california

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight
double walled rims
front shocks lock out
disc brakes
tough

Weaknesses:    haven't found any yet, although my lockout nob popped off while i was adjusting it but i popped it back in, no problem

Bottom Line:
It's a great bike and it's even better if you can buy it for cheap. It shifts well and the shocks are great. You can lock them out so when you not on the trail you save energy. The disc brakes work great and the frame is light. The double walled rims are cool. It's not a road bike but it still works when you need to ride on the road. Mine is white, grey, and black and it looks awesome. if you are looking for a good trail bike that you can ride to school/other places and is not super expensive, buy it.

Favorite Trail:   trails by the American River