GT Avalanche 2.0 Mechanical Disc XC Hardtail

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

The hard-tail that all others are measured by. When you're ready to graduate from that first rig you bought - the one they told you was capable of being ridden off-road, but which was really ready for campus cruising - the Avalanche is without question the bike you want. More than just a bike which you can ride about town, the Avalanche is also equipped for gnarly trails and sublime single track. With lightweight, triple-triangle aluminum frames, trail-ready component specs, and front suspension, the Avalanche is chomping at the bit to earn its wings. Are you?

Submitted by Loveriding

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2013

Strengths:    Very nimble. Strong brakes. Good components for the price point. Very responsive and light on its feet.

Weaknesses:    Wish it was at least SLX components but Alivio is satisfactory for up to intermediate riders without issue. Shifters would be the main thing to update.

Bottom Line:
We got this bike from someone else at a great price and it's easily worth full price. Very nimble bike can handle the twisties without issue. Bike is at home on singletrack at all sorts of speeds. Strong braking and responsive forks. While more of an XT type person, Alivio performs admirably. Shifters would be the one thing I would update to at least SLX or XT. Tires work well although I am not a huge fan of the wider variety but that's just preference. Overall, the bike is very solid, a blast to ride and you can tell it wants to be thrown around the moment you get on it. You'll have fun on it!

Submitted by Dandy a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2013

Strengths:    Great bike for a beginner. I got this bike when I started riding trails and rode the bejesus out of this thing. Narrowed up the handlebars and it was nimble, relatively light, and a ton of fun to ride. In Texas, you get lots of trails with limestone shelfs, this bike did just fine going up & down those and also handled rooty, twisty trails as well.

Weaknesses:    The weaknesses of the bike weren't specific to the model, mostly specific to the platform. You simply aren't going to get top-line performance out of a 26" hardtail that costs $600. If I had to pick one thing that really bothered me about the bike, it would be the cable management - totally fixable with a set of zip ties.

Bottom Line:
This was a fantastic buy and I would absolutely do it again. I was learning how to ride trails and I did all kinds of bad things to this bike, but it kept on chugging.

Climbing was good, wheelies were easy, my control of the bike was superb. The only downside of the bike was that it wasn't a 29'er full suspension - but I knew that going in.

This bike was an animal, and when it came time to take a step up, you bet your sweet nuggets I chose another GT.

Submitted by Michael

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2012

Strengths:    Everything! The bike rides great uphill and the locking forks help a lot! Going downhill is a easy as well. Make sure you are in the proper position and you will do just fine. Shifts perfect, brakes are great. Even going down a large paved hill/mountain road they worked great! With regards to the forks, I have yet to bottom out.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Its a great bike for those trying to get back into it. Try looking for a previous model, I purchased a 2011 for a lot cheaper than the 2012.. but who cares. I wont be doing any hardcore racing anytime soon.

Favorite Trail:   I love them all

Duration Product Used:   6 days

Purchased At:   performance bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Dillon a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2011

Strengths:    The Bike is all around strong if I had to pick one thing it would be the durability and weight of the frame.

Weaknesses:    The stock grips aren't great.

Bottom Line:
The bike is a great purchase, now I am a beginner but I have been rough on this bike the short time I've had it. I at this point and time am extremely happy with my purchase. I wouldn't change anything about the bike except the stock pedals, but who wouldn't. The breaks are great can stop on a dime on a 15% down grade no problem. The saddle is surprisingly comfortable. The bike as a whole is just very solid and I would recommend it to anyone. So In my summation I would buy this bike as a beginner, but I as a beginner have no right to say anything further.

Favorite Trail:   EVERYWHERE