GT Avalanche 1.0 XC Hardtail

4.24/5 (84 Reviews)

Avalanche 1.0 is a 6061 butted-aluminum frame with a pressure-formed downtube, a zero-stack headset, disc brakes and 27-gears - an impressive setup for anyone who's ready to start playing in the dirt.

Submitted by craig

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2013

Strengths:    I love my avalanche 1.0. Mine is the 2003 model!! Solid frame good components

Weaknesses:    Shocks are simple and not much adjustment

Bottom Line:
Like I said ive had this bike 10 years. All original components lasted that time and in its first 4 years it was rode hard.
Ive had a couple of years of not much riding but have got the bug back
Im currently rebuilding it with professional respray and shimano running gear. Will invest in some nice shox soon.
Ive payed out roughly £500 rebuilding so this shows how much I like the ride.
If I rode mega hard trails I would spend lots more. Frames are solid :)

Submitted by Vic a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2012

Strengths:    Exceptional frame, makes a good basis for upgrades, stiff and virtually indestructible. Affordable price.

Weaknesses:    Stock components are for starters only. You'll need to change most of them to unleash the potential.

Bottom Line:
This bike is all about its frame. I bought mine in 2004, and it still delivers, but I've changed stock everything. Packed with Shimano Deore and HEAVY RockShox Judy TT, it was a decent entry-level bike. It's upgradability, where it shines. It can grow as your experience grows via thoughtful upgrades.

I was satisfied with stock components... for about half a year. Then I thought I need something better. No problem - went towards SRAM setup, then Mavic wheels - and the bike began to feel different. With upgraded drivetrain and decent tyres you literally feel the improvement. 8 years now, mine is equipped better than stock Zaskar Expert (see below), and I see it performs better too.

One day, may be, I'll go for the brand new frame, but I'm still completely satisfied with old trusty 1.0, which never failed me going through 20000 kms of trails, some really abusive.

From the other hand, you can stick with stock components - and they'll work OK for years (pedals and tyres were rubbish). Feel you need a good XC rider - go and upgrade what you need. Wanna try some light trails - just stay with stock components. This bike gives you choice.

Duration Product Used:   8 years

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche 1.0 (2004) frame, RockShox SID RLT Ti fork, Truvativ Stylo OCT 3.3 crankset, Truvativ GXP Team BB, SRAM X9 triggers, X9 rear, X-Gen front, 970 cassette, Avid Juicy 7 185/160 front/rear brakes, Mavic CrossRide UST wheels.

Submitted by qbomb a Weekend Warrior from Barrie, ON,

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2012

Strengths:    Brakes

Weaknesses:    Chain and derailleur

Bottom Line:
I purchased the GT Avalanche 1.0 last September. I rode it once in September and then stored it inside for the winter. In March I rode it once and the chain broke. I took it to The Bike Zone and the said the chain was not under warranty. I said it was ridden once and they said they would give me a better chain that should last at least a year and that GT uses crap components. I was thankful until I rode it today and the chain broke again. I only ride on city streets or junior trails and now the derailleur is bent because of the chain. I tried calling GT in March when it broke the first time and still no response. Overall I am extremely dissatisfied with the GT product and the customer service. I regret this purchase and I should have bought a Scott for a similar price.

Favorite Trail:   Hardwood Hills

Purchased At:   The Bike Zone

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Pryde a Downhiller from Maryland, USA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2011

Strengths:    Since I ordered my bike frame in an extra small size,
the frame is bent in a way to fit an extra small 5'4 person.
It gives great handling against curves and leans. Deore
components and shifters works very well.

Weaknesses:    Horrible, very horrible, front shocks/suspension.
My hands goes numb during rides through trails.
The back derailuer is easily damageable off from
a simple 2 feet jump. The seat provides no cushion.

Bottom Line:
For a price of $299 from bikes direct, this is a great
price for a beginners bike and the bike itself. As to
REI and other websites/stores, this is the cheapest price
you'll find this bike for. Components are great. The
frame is great. Cons are the seat isn't the greatest after
a long ride. The front suspension is a nightmare. Overall
great pricing for a starter bike.

Favorite Trail:   Local

Purchased At:   bikes dircect

Bike Setup:   I put together the bike myself as it came via UPS.
I did not take it to a professional to let them
assemble it for me as I felt there was no need for it.
It came 95% assembled.

Submitted by Xtyling a Weekend Warrior from Philippines

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2011

Strengths:    Tough frame. Great entry-mid level bike. Deore components with SLX RD. This was the best deal I found in over 6 months of window shopping for a new. Only way to get a better bike for less would be buying used. Love the WTB Pure V Saddle. Tora Fork is great for the price I paid.

Weaknesses:    Tekro Auriga Comp brakes.. I couldn't get them to stop on a dime so I upgraded to Deore hydro brakes.. Not much difference in the end. Perhaps I should have went with SLX brakes. I plan on swapping my grips out also.

Bottom Line:
I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Sure there are many better bikes out there. But for the price I paid, I feel every penny (centavo) was worth it. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to trail riding and I use my bike 80% for biking to work. If I had a chance to go back in time and do things over, I would purchase the same bike but sooner.

Favorite Trail:   Local XC

Purchased At:   Cycle Art in Quiapo

Similar Products Used:   None, my first bike in over 12 years.

Bike Setup:   2010 GT Avalanche 1.0 white/silver size medium now with Exustar E-B60 flat pedals and Deore hydro brakes. Led Lenser P7 for night riding.

Submitted by SiRDOHC a Weekend Warrior from Toronto,ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2011

Strengths:    Equipped like bikes that cost $2-300 more. Tora 302, SLX REAR, Deore Shifters work well.
Durable Paint job on bike.

Weaknesses:    -stock pedals were total rubbish.
-front rotor appears to have warped a little.
GT has lost a lot of its street credit due to business changes and distribution problems. GT bikes are looked at as "second tier" by many.

Bottom Line:
I probably paid more than most others, but I am in Canada, and we get screwed on everything like bikes, tires, car parts etc. In my case I was looking at 250$ more for any other brand if I wanted the same components. I am a believer that it is the components that make a bike. I don't think it is likely that I will break the frame and require a warranty claim ( I am 130lbs), so I went with the "second tier" brand instead of getting a 1st tear brand with suntour and Shimano Alivio parts for the same price.

Favorite Trail:   Albion Hills

Bike Setup:   Stock + GIANT pedals

Submitted by mtbnoobadam a Weekend Warrior from killeen, tx, USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2011

Strengths:    The components are great for an entry level bike. Rock shox tora 302 fork with lockout works great.

Weaknesses:    a little heavy. Stock tektro auriga comp hydro disk brakes are noisy as hell

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike for a beginning to intermediate rider. Can't get a better value if you are able to get one under $800.

Favorite Trail:   dana peak, blora

Similar Products Used:   gt aggressor

Bike Setup:   stock with clipless pedals

Submitted by sanman a Cross Country Rider from charlotte

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2011

Strengths:    this is a solid ride - love it! strong frame. great cornering with stock kenda tires.

Weaknesses:    stock front shock was junk. everything else is fine. brakes are slightly noisy (rubbing sound).

Bottom Line:
i started at 245lbs and now weight in at 210 six months later. the bike is strong. stock front shock crapped out after 1 month - upgraded for free to rs air fork - great ride. upgraded rims to rhyno lite. this is a solid ride - love it! i would recommend it to others. it is a great starting out bike.

Favorite Trail:   beatty park

Purchased At:   performance bikes

Similar Products Used:   nishiki blazer

Bike Setup:   stock except for front fork, rs recon air fork and rhyno lite rims

Submitted by MrRastaVibrations a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2011

Strengths:    GT Frames kick ass, solid drivetrain, SPD's, Kenda Nevegal, WTB everything else.

Weaknesses:    Rock Shox Dart 3 fork, factory disc rotors.

Bottom Line:
This bike is sharp, even with the original forks (which were very skittish) it handled fine. Brakes don't have adequate ventilation meaning the rear disc warped after a mediocre descent. Replaced with Jet Black and did the same on the front (up to 185mm) when I replaced the fork. The SPD pedals are fine but need adjustment every few rides.

With an upgrade to an air fork and better brakes it was ready to race, and it does so monthly. I do at least 10km of trails every day and have not had a single problem with this good, solid bike. I weigh 120kg and it holds up.

I am in love with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Lysterfield Rock Garden

Purchased At:   Bicycle HQ Carnegie

Similar Products Used:   Giant Talon, Silverback

Bike Setup:   SPD's (factory), Rock Shox Tora Air fork, 185mm front disc (jet balck), jet black rear disc (160mm)

Submitted by Trailbumb a Weekend Warrior from Ormond Beach, FL

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2011

Strengths:    Tektro disc brakes, Tora 302 Forks, solid frame, shifting has been wonderfully smooth on the rear even with better than moderate pedal pressure on the up hill climb

Weaknesses:    generic pedals w/ toe cage

Bottom Line:
Been to four different local trails, different tech levels, components haven't fouled even through the water and mud. Heavenly suspension, comparing to a test ride on a buddies bike w/ SR Suntours and of course my ol rigid. Glad I talked myself out of the 2.0 for the component upgrades. I'm a reborn enthusiast to the MTB pasttime and think I'll stick with it, this bike just keeps me motivated for more.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead, Alexandria, VA

Purchased At:   Performance Bike- Al

Similar Products Used:   Rigid Jamis Durango AL (only MTB experience)

Bike Setup:   Only changed pedals to SPD clipless and larger ergogrips for my frankenstein hands

Submitted by DaBigD a Weekend Warrior from Laguna Hills, CA US

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2011

Strengths:    I purchased my 1.0 with disc breaks on the after thanksgiving day sale. THe frame is very strong. I feel in love with the breaks(I was riding old V-breaks). THe front fork is very nice, but i need to change the spring rate as I weigh 300. Bike feels very solid under me when charging down rockit trail.

Weaknesses:    Rear derailer is already acting up. Other then that the bike has no weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
AWESOME bike for the money. I am big guy and have been MTB riding for over 15 years. This has been the best bike I have owned out of the box. I usually purchase a frame and build a bike around it. Keep it stock till things break then replace with the best parts possible.

Favorite Trail:   Aliso & Woods Canyon

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Giant CFM 1
Most recent bike was a frankenstien bike, now im turning it into a single speed beach cruser.

Bike Setup:   Crank Bros candy pedals and grips. Continental Mountain King 2.2 rear and 2.4 front.

Submitted by Akash Karmakar a Weekend Warrior from Mumbai,India

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2011

Strengths:    Great paint finish, thoughtful frame geometry, brilliant brakes,comfortable riding position with the seat post extended and retracted fully. Razor sharp handling, great set of gears. handles rugged terrain effortlessly.

Weaknesses:    Quick releases get jammed if not lubricated, treads prone to wear quickly when used on a downslope. Climbing steep ascents may get tiring since the front shock absorbers are not lockable. Front shock absorbers have limited travel.

Bottom Line:
The GT Avalanche 1.0 is a brilliant bike to hit trails on weekends and will last you many years without any issues with minor maintenance, but its not a cycle that you an take for enduro races. The pedals are prone to slipping in wet weather as they dont have adequate grip knobs, though this can be overcome with a shoe with good treads.
Its great for beginners and those who want to take to serious trails in the future. The tyres are worth replacing with Kenda and the front shock absorber could have a bit more travel.

Favorite Trail:   ILS Hill

Similar Products Used:   Trek 3700, Cannondale F9

Bike Setup:   What setup?

Submitted by momo16 a Cross Country Rider from Dunedin, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2011

Strengths:    Tora fork, Hydraulic brakes, Shifters,

Weaknesses:    Pedals, possibly tyres.

Bottom Line:
I have the 2011 model.
This bike has been great so far, although I've found the Maxxis Mobster tyres that come with it are pretty easy to puncture (plenty of grip though). As other reviewers have said, the standard pedals are terrible so plan on changing them immediately. The rest of the components are brilliant, I've had no problems.
This bike has a very "nerdy"(upright) biking position, at least it does for me being around 6'2" using a large frame. I like this riding position as it lets me get off the back of the seat easier for going off drops, but it wont be for everybody so definitely have a decent test ride before buying.
The Rockshox Tora 302 fork works well for me, but may be a bit soft for a heavier rider (I'm 77kg, 170lbs).
If you're planning on doing a lot of commuting on this bike you may also want to look at larger chainwheels as well. I find myself wanting higher gearing for on the road (gearing is perfect for on the trail though).
Overall a great bike which I would definitely recommend to anyone wanting to get into mountain biking.

Favorite Trail:   Naseby XC tracks