GT Aggressor XC Hardtail

• Pedals: High Impact nylon platform
  • Front Derailleur: Shimano TY-32

Submitted by Skrufryder a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2012

Strengths:    Well the frame is the best ever designed! You can beat on these all day!

Weaknesses:    Well the stock parts are junk, but I never buy a complet bike anyways.

Bottom Line:
I now have 3. all set up a little different. I use one as my commuter and stuffed some 700c CX wheels into it, ones set up for XC/trail, but can take a good DH run. The third is set up as a cruiser/loaner, None of wich are stock! These frames rock, the Tiwan bikes are put together better than the china ones.

Favorite Trail:   um, The hidden DH run behind the zoo

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Specialized rockhopper & stumpjumper,Trek 950,3700,4500 DB ht's.

Bike Setup:   um 1 Diatech anchor hydro brakes, hayes rotors, husselfelt stem, Sr 100xcrwlo forks,deore lx crank,pork chop chop saw 46th. deore long cage rear derailure, deore shifter, WTB comp rear hub 8spd sram,alex rims, dtswis, front deore hub, schwalbe 700x40 marathon cross, velo racing saddle
#2 husselfelt stem, Manitou Minute 120mm forks, Bontrager tires, deore hubs, rino light rear& mavic front rims, Deore xt v brakes, wtb saddle, rpm crank, pork chop chop saw 42th, 8spd deore shifter, deore rear deral, avid speed levers,
#3 gt piston stem, bomber forks, cheap wheel set,cheap White wall tires, random seat,avid levers,unknown crankset,42th,avid 2.0 vbrakes shimano 7spd shifter

Submitted by This is a good rating a Racer from hampshire

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2011

Strengths:    sturdy frame very easily upgradable

Weaknesses:    slightly too heavy for proper racing

Bottom Line:
a very good frame that has taken me directly from novice to racer (although almost every part of my bike has been upgraded but the frame is still good.)

Favorite Trail:   winlatter

Purchased At:   various places on eb

Bike Setup:   Rock shock air shock forks sintered pad disk breaks.

Submitted by AJ a Downhiller from NJ

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2011

Strengths:    Great suspension, light , Shifts nice great for any trail and small moutains

Weaknesses:    break pads wear out quick but this happens on any bike that gets a lot of use

Bottom Line:
A great bike for new to advanced riders handles good enough to go around any turn at higspeed durable enough to take a couple hits and a suspension that can sucks up andy thing you can throungh at it all in all id recomrnd it to any one

Favorite Trail:   Clayton Park

Purchased At:   Mid atlantic X-treme

Similar Products Used:   Diamond back Response

Bike Setup:   disk breaks, 24 speed group

Submitted by arntzn a Weekend Warrior from Eugene, OR

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight frame (best feature on the bike - makes it great for getting around town and doing some *light* trail riding all in one), cheap price.

Weaknesses:    Brakes (doesn't even have mounts for disc brakes), shocks... pretty much everything else is on the cheaper end and won't last long if used slightly rigorously.

Bottom Line:
This is pretty decent bike for someone who wants to do a little bit of light trail riding on occasion but mainly uses it for getting around town (though even at that you'll want to change the set-up a bit). However, if you want to graduate to something more challenging, this isn't the right bike. Plus, upgrading isn't worth it because since it doesn't have disc brake mounts, you can't really invest in nice shocks/fork/bigger tires. I found that the more I challenged the bike, the longer it was in the shop. Overall, it's not a bad bike for a beginner, but don't expect the bike to follow your growing trail aspirations, no matter how much money you put into it.

Favorite Trail:   McKenzie River

Purchased At:   Joes Sports Outdoors

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by SanDiegoDirt a Cross Country Rider from San Marcos CA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2011

Strengths:    Value. I was able to use a lot of Performance Points I had earned to get the bike at $225.00 out the door. Still not a bad retail price for an entry-level bike.
The frame.

Weaknesses:    As mentioned previously, the components are pretty low-end. If you're absolutely in love with the bike, you'll want to eventually replace just about everything on it.

Bottom Line:
Got this bike for my son last summer. Since he was about to turn 12yrd old, I wanted to get him a 26" ride. He loves it. The quality of the frame is good, and the paint job is pretty sharp. For someone who is wanting to get into the sport or especially if your kid is wanting his/her first "real" mountain bike, it's a solid deal. Just compare it with department store bikes and you will see how much more quality you get for just a little more money.

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Straight out of the store.

Submitted by volvo100 a Cross Country Rider from United Kingdom

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap to buy, great bike on a budget...Great frame to build on. Standard parts are rubbish..

Weaknesses:    Paint rubs and chips to easy

Bottom Line:
This bike for a first proper mountain bike is a great choice. Standard parts are poor and will need replacing as i have done but the frame is Strong and reasonably light. Mine now feels like a much more expensive bike and to buy a bike with the parts i have on mine you'd have to pay around £800-£900.
I use this bike on mostly XC trails but i like the odd drop off now and again and this bike copes excellently

Favorite Trail:   Lonesome Pine Trail, Kielder Forest

Purchased At:   Halfords

Bike Setup:   Standard parts on this bike are really built to a budget so i have replaced everything so far apart from the wheels but new ones coming soon(Mavic Crossrides)...I'm running Deore lx front and rear mechs, Deore lx cranks, XT shifters and brake levers, Truvativ Team Stylo stem and Truvaitv Husslefelt bars, Rockshox Recon SL forks, Avid BB5 front and rear disc brakes, RaceFace Evolve Seatpost and WTB Laser V Saddle.

Submitted by Jubbs a Cross Country Rider from Scotland

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2010

Strengths:    Can be good value for money if you're going to be cycling some easier trails.
Good for those who are new to mountain biking and wanting to get some practice and build their skills/confidence.

Weaknesses:    Not suitable for much more than the easier trails! Cheap parts suffer from regular use.
The forks bottom out quite easily and are now starting to jam.
Real wheel buckled without me ever noticing any big hits
Brake pads wear away easily

Bottom Line:
I used it for cycling to work every so often. 14 mile roundtrip consisting of regular roads,dirt tracks and farm roads, some hill climbs/descents over loose stones small rocks etc. No jumps or drop offs.

I wanted a cheap mountain bike and found this to be a good entry level bike. I enjoyed riding the bike but it really was on it's limit on the route I used it and I was limited by how hard I could push it. After about 10 trips (so 140 miles) many of parts needed replacing as I mentioned above. I probably pushed it too hard but if you're after a bike to use off road without ever really wanting to do anything more than beginner level routes then this would be a decent bike to start off with. I grew with confidence and wanted to move onto trying more challenging routes-so an upgrade is needed!

Favorite Trail:   Stoney Mullen

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles. Glasgo

Similar Products Used:   I've only ridden friend's bike that are valued in the thousands so perhaps not a fair comparison!!

Submitted by ZA a Cross Country Rider from South Alabama

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2010

Strengths:    Great Frame. Classic GT 4130 CrMo, tig welded. Fairly light, very strong, easy to ride.

Weaknesses:    Mid level to low level components. Shocks were crap, heavy, crappy rims. Paint scratches off too easily.

Bottom Line:
I got the bike new in 1995 when it was new and GT was THE MTB maker after having won several top races. The Aggressor was great for the price, even for being the lowest tier mtb of the GT line. Actually, the components differences were the only difference in the quality of the bikes for GT back then. I rode that bike 20 miles a day, literally. It was a great bike, handled well, shifted great, comfortable to ride, it never gave me any problems until the forks broke. It has sat in my garage being shuffled around house to house until I finally drug it out and rebuilt the frame. It still is an impressive frame that garners looks from everyone.
Gary Turner has since sold the Company, and the company has changed hands again recently and seems to be reamerging as a solid Bike company, not the big box bike maker with Huffy quality.

Purchased At:   Boca Raton, FL

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher, Trek, Giant

Bike Setup:   I bought this bike in 1995 and had ridden the piss out of it up until the forks separated on me. There was a recall on these so after I contacted Pacific Bike via the Govt recall website several time I was sent a new fork. The fork I received was a non-threaded Suntour Xfork so I had to change out my brakes to Tektro V-brakes, Kool-Stops, and went ahead and upgraded to an 8 spd rear with Shimano Alivio shifters and Shimano Deore rear derailliuer, new head set and stem, with some Richey Lite handlebars. The only thing that is original besides the frame is the cranks and seat post. Oh yeah, a new saddle too as the original on was bent badly.

Submitted by LHardin85 a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2009

Bottom Line:
I am looking at a 2009 GT aggressor for my husband. Neither of us are very tech savy when it comes to bike componants. I'm reading reviews saying all the componants are pretty poor quality. Would anyone be able to tell me what exactly I should look to hav fixed if I do buy this bike?

Purchased At:   Performances Bicycle

Submitted by fmartin a Weekend Warrior from Stoneham, MA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight. I like the ease of shifting gears.

Weaknesses:    Sprockets at pedals bent after about two weeks. The chain is also very thin and it also bent after two weeks. The Bike shop repaired the bike for free but I had never heard of a sprocket gear getting damaged from normal riding. The rubber on the front shocks broke after about three weeks.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for a novice. Very very cheap parts. Great frame. I wouldn't take this bike on a mountain. It could be a replacement for your old 10 speed 1 1/4" tire bicycle.

Favorite Trail:   Middlesex Fells

Purchased At:   City Cycle

Submitted by MemphisMQT a Weekend Warrior from Memphis, TN 38117

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight. Straightforward set-up and controls. Attractive design.

Weaknesses:    Stock parts wear out easily. Matte finish quickly shows wear.

Bottom Line:
Bought the GT Aggressor during the gas crisis of 2008 for local commuting/weekend trail rides and - for the money - the bike has been superb. If you plan to do serious trail riding, beef up the stock parts, but the frame is solid. Bottom line = great value.

Favorite Trail:   Wolf River (Shelby Farms)

Purchased At:   Midtown Bike Shop

Submitted by kaltizer a Cross Country Rider from Christiansburg, VA

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2008

Strengths:    The GT Agressor is a great bike for the money. I basically bought the bike for the frame, since then I have replaced all of the parts and constructed a very solid mountain bike. Off the shelf, the bike is great for light mountain biking and around town. The Mozo shocks are not meant for strenuous riding. I replaced the Mozo shocks with Marzocchis 180mm travel, I replaced the wheels, tires, deraileurs, and am currently replacing the brakes. I know it sounds like I gutted the GT Agressor and made my own bike. Well, that's because I did. I'm a firm believer that it's nearly impossible to find the right bike off the shelf. Find the frame that fits you best and custom build the rest with the parts of your choice. You will come out with a much better ride than most, and you'll also save a lot of money. I buy most of my parts from Japan , and from pricepoint.com.

Weaknesses:    Parts need to be replaced with more durable ones.

Bottom Line:
Enjoy the Ride!!

Favorite Trail:   Jacobs Ladder and Skull Cap

Purchased At:   sporting goods store

Submitted by fiataccompli a Weekend Warrior from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2008

Strengths:    A great frame - this is my 3rd GT frame - great handling & great ride, not particularly light in modern terms...but for my purposes, that is not a problem.

Weaknesses:    low end components on this model. being used to the Karakoram that (mine at least) are all Deore right of the LBS showroom floor, I can already tell that I'll be hitting Ebay up for some stout replacements.

Bottom Line:
These GT mountain bike frames seem to be loved or hated. I bought my '88 new & have ridden it in all sort of terrain. The old frames have vertical rear dropouts, making a single gear conversion sound interesting - this one does not. This is obviously less of a bike in all aspects, but worth as a spare around the house & to goof with just for the frame. Did I mention really dig these frames?

Purchased At:   2nd hand

Similar Products Used:   GT Karakoram '88 & '95, Giant SE Boulder, 30 years worth of bikes, bike parts, BMX, road bikes, you name it

Bike Setup:   lol...currently a bit neglected, but from the wear on it, not ridden very much either! To be used as an urban beater/commuter/trail runner bike - no serious trail riding, and will be upgraded to Deore components as I find the deals!

Submitted by Brad a Downhiller from Morgantown, WV, USA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2008

Strengths:    solid frame, super strong. Nice style, comfortable, fast, good shocks, low price

Weaknesses:    Shifters, derailers- always slip off gear. Crank bearings-began making creaking noised. Grips- way too squishy, leave a residue on your hands. Frame is little bit heavy. No rear mount for disc brakes

Bottom Line:
Overall, this bike is a great deal for the money. The stock components totally suck, but if you know anything about bikes, you can replace them for new deores for around $100 if you do your own work, and you are still spending less money than the trek or specialized. After three years of moderate riding, the crank bearing failed, and i had it replaced at the shop for only $20, and its been fine since then. First time to bring it on an aggressive trail, i blew up the plastic guard that covered the front sprockets on a tree i was wheelying over. Other than that, i still outperformed my friend who rides the new specialized full carbon suspension bike. Overall, i recommend this bike if you are tight for cash. If you have money, get the specialized.

Purchased At:   el gato bike shop