GT Aggressor XC Hardtail

• Pedals: High Impact nylon platform
  • Front Derailleur: Shimano TY-32

Submitted by KogKiller a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2013

Strengths:    Triple triangle frame is iconic. Very rigid and stiff for excellent handling and durability.

Weaknesses:    Given the price I paid for it I can't really fault it much even though it isn't perfect. The things I'd recommend you replace right away are the pedals and tires.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike for the money if you can't get it at a discount price. It makes a great platform for bettering your MTB skills while you save up for a better bike. It looks incredibly nice with the triple triangle frame but I suggest flipping the stem over for a more aggressive XC stance. I'd also lower the bar by removing a couple rings from the steerer tube. I love the seat. It is the highest quality part of the entire bike. The first few rides really hurt my bottom but after getting it setup correctly it feels much better.

Submitted by Skrufryder a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2012

Strengths:    The FRAME. I dont think I have ever ridden any thing else that can compare to the handeling of the GT triple triangle. Stout n Super stiff. Light weight aluminium! I've ridden the older steel frames and they just kick! Wish I could afford a carbon fiber or titanium!

Weaknesses:    I gave 4 chillies for value only cus of the parts list.But at any price point I'm goin with the GT.

Bottom Line:
Awesome frame desing. Nothing else compares to the triple triangle. I look for just the frames. They are just a great platform to build anything you waant from XC,DH, I've even seen them set up trials, and dirt jumping. I do belive GT is the only company to win both the XC and DH world cup on a hard tail!

Favorite Trail:   Muddiest ones I can Find

Similar Products Used:   Trek 800,950,4500,6500,8000 specialized hard rock, rock hopper, stumpjumper. Giant 09 Rincon(best year for that model, Raleigh Technium Blue Crush? Super up graded Schwinn High Mountain.

Submitted by Chris A. a Racer

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2012

Strengths:    Awesome design, good welds, nice paint job and brilliant quality. Good gearshifts (on 2/3 derailieur speeds)

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable saddle, gearshifts dont always work properly, faulty breaks, tacky shifters. Little play in the suspension

Bottom Line:
Got the bike 4 years ago and was good from the beginning. Never liked the suspension but had crisp gear changes. Until the derailieur started malfunctioning 6 months later. And then a year later the brakes failed. This was probably due to riding on the hard trails and heavy ussage and commuting. Despite the minor unreliability it made a very good bike in the city as well. My neighborhood is covered in potholes and this bike has a very smooth ride. Also has great potential on the trail. I have replaced many things on it, such as brand new front shocks, shimano 10 speed,new pedals, saddle and handlebar. Overall, works great out of the box and is very durable. Ive done over 2000 miles on it and would recommend it for anyone looking for a great starting bike that you can upgrade as you go.

Duration Product Used:   4 years, over 2000 miles

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Frontier

Bike Setup:   Assembled at my local bike store, I installed modifiacations in my garage

Submitted by Andrew

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2012

Strengths:    For the price, a great entry level bike.
Brakes were solid
Frame is solid
Comfortable ride
Great Handlebar grips

Weaknesses:    Front fork was really stiff
Cant get the shifting right, (may be human error)
Components are pretty low class but its an entry level bike
Cheap walmart kenda tires

Bottom Line:
Great Bike for the price, used it for about one year. Disc and rim bent after a crash but it was pretty bad. Its a decent ride and I had fun on it. Only changing because im getting a Trek 4300. Overall a great bike for the money, you will need to adjust things alot but its a Solid bike

Submitted by Skrufryder a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2012

Strengths:    Well the frame is the best ever designed! You can beat on these all day!

Weaknesses:    Well the stock parts are junk, but I never buy a complet bike anyways.

Bottom Line:
I now have 3. all set up a little different. I use one as my commuter and stuffed some 700c CX wheels into it, ones set up for XC/trail, but can take a good DH run. The third is set up as a cruiser/loaner, None of wich are stock! These frames rock, the Tiwan bikes are put together better than the china ones.

Favorite Trail:   um, The hidden DH run behind the zoo

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Specialized rockhopper & stumpjumper,Trek 950,3700,4500 DB ht's.

Bike Setup:   um 1 Diatech anchor hydro brakes, hayes rotors, husselfelt stem, Sr 100xcrwlo forks,deore lx crank,pork chop chop saw 46th. deore long cage rear derailure, deore shifter, WTB comp rear hub 8spd sram,alex rims, dtswis, front deore hub, schwalbe 700x40 marathon cross, velo racing saddle
#2 husselfelt stem, Manitou Minute 120mm forks, Bontrager tires, deore hubs, rino light rear& mavic front rims, Deore xt v brakes, wtb saddle, rpm crank, pork chop chop saw 42th, 8spd deore shifter, deore rear deral, avid speed levers,
#3 gt piston stem, bomber forks, cheap wheel set,cheap White wall tires, random seat,avid levers,unknown crankset,42th,avid 2.0 vbrakes shimano 7spd shifter

Submitted by kerryp a Weekend Warrior from Bastrop, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2012

Strengths:    The frame appears to be well constructed and the welds are clean and look like stacked coins.
The bike was tuned nicely out of the box and after assy. it was ready to go.
The components are what you would expect at this price point, but xo far are working fine after about 100 miles.

Weaknesses:    I can't think of any. the components would be the obvious choice, but like i said, they are typical to what you get on similar level bikes from competitors. I bought this based on the price with the intent of upgrading as things fail or as finances allow.
I do wish the front fork was a little better and had lockout, but that'll come later.

Bottom Line:
I bought this because i was looking for a decent bike at a price i could afford. I needed a good base to work from and i think this is a good base that will work for what I need.So far i have about 100 miles on it and it has ridden extremely well and all of the components work just fine. If you are looking for a bike with the top tier components that is ready to go out of the box, this isn't it, but if you want a decent bike for moderate use with a decent frame and components that you can upgrade little by little, go for it, its a good bike.

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   It has been years since i mountain biked, my last bike was one of the first gen Ralieghs.

Bike Setup:   Factory

Submitted by This is a good rating a Racer from hampshire

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2011

Strengths:    sturdy frame very easily upgradable

Weaknesses:    slightly too heavy for proper racing

Bottom Line:
a very good frame that has taken me directly from novice to racer (although almost every part of my bike has been upgraded but the frame is still good.)

Favorite Trail:   winlatter

Purchased At:   various places on eb

Bike Setup:   Rock shock air shock forks sintered pad disk breaks.

Submitted by AJ a Downhiller from NJ

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2011

Strengths:    Great suspension, light , Shifts nice great for any trail and small moutains

Weaknesses:    break pads wear out quick but this happens on any bike that gets a lot of use

Bottom Line:
A great bike for new to advanced riders handles good enough to go around any turn at higspeed durable enough to take a couple hits and a suspension that can sucks up andy thing you can throungh at it all in all id recomrnd it to any one

Favorite Trail:   Clayton Park

Purchased At:   Mid atlantic X-treme

Similar Products Used:   Diamond back Response

Bike Setup:   disk breaks, 24 speed group

Submitted by wordsthoughts a Weekend Warrior from philadelphia, pa, usa

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2011

Strengths:    good on dirt and in street. Lighter than steel. Paint looks great still. I like the suspension.

Weaknesses:    front shifter seems a little out of line.

Bottom Line:
I bought this from an older man who said his son won this bike in a drawing and then almost immediately got his driver's license. The bike was hardly ever ridden and the man was sick of it in his garage.

My bike needed plenty of lubing due to sitting and hardly ridden. Its a great bike-a true pleasure to ride. The original seat was killing me so I got a comfort seat and have never looked back.

If you have a chance to get this bike used but in good working order don't be afraid to get the bike-especially if your not a hardcore off road biker.

I took it too a high end bike shop for service and the very knowledgeable manager told me the bike was a good durable bike and one of his best customers has the same bike and puts over 200 miles a week on it and its in great condition.

He also said that it should last a long time as long I don't abuse it with stunts and five foot jumps since its not intended for that.

I've rode mostly dirt trails and a few paved trails altogether about 34 miles and totally love it!! I wish I never had stopped riding. Never plan on stopping again!

Favorite Trail:   forbidden drive

Purchased At:   From original owner

Similar Products Used:   Trek 800 single track mtn bike.

Bike Setup:   original components

Submitted by arntzn a Weekend Warrior from Eugene, OR

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight frame (best feature on the bike - makes it great for getting around town and doing some *light* trail riding all in one), cheap price.

Weaknesses:    Brakes (doesn't even have mounts for disc brakes), shocks... pretty much everything else is on the cheaper end and won't last long if used slightly rigorously.

Bottom Line:
This is pretty decent bike for someone who wants to do a little bit of light trail riding on occasion but mainly uses it for getting around town (though even at that you'll want to change the set-up a bit). However, if you want to graduate to something more challenging, this isn't the right bike. Plus, upgrading isn't worth it because since it doesn't have disc brake mounts, you can't really invest in nice shocks/fork/bigger tires. I found that the more I challenged the bike, the longer it was in the shop. Overall, it's not a bad bike for a beginner, but don't expect the bike to follow your growing trail aspirations, no matter how much money you put into it.

Favorite Trail:   McKenzie River

Purchased At:   Joes Sports Outdoors

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by SanDiegoDirt a Cross Country Rider from San Marcos CA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2011

Strengths:    Value. I was able to use a lot of Performance Points I had earned to get the bike at $225.00 out the door. Still not a bad retail price for an entry-level bike.
The frame.

Weaknesses:    As mentioned previously, the components are pretty low-end. If you're absolutely in love with the bike, you'll want to eventually replace just about everything on it.

Bottom Line:
Got this bike for my son last summer. Since he was about to turn 12yrd old, I wanted to get him a 26" ride. He loves it. The quality of the frame is good, and the paint job is pretty sharp. For someone who is wanting to get into the sport or especially if your kid is wanting his/her first "real" mountain bike, it's a solid deal. Just compare it with department store bikes and you will see how much more quality you get for just a little more money.

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Straight out of the store.

Submitted by Lath a Weekend Warrior from Ames IA.

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2010

Strengths:    Had the bike since new, solid frame, componants are weak, but trustworthy.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, heavy, heavy.

Bottom Line:
Honestly I have had this bike for a long time, and though the componants are weak, I haven't broke anything yet. Shifting could be a lot crisper, but this a solid bike, bordering on bulletproof for average riders.

Favorite Trail:   all over

Purchased At:   Skunk River Cycles

Bike Setup:   Stock except for peddles

Submitted by volvo100 a Cross Country Rider from United Kingdom

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap to buy, great bike on a budget...Great frame to build on. Standard parts are rubbish..

Weaknesses:    Paint rubs and chips to easy

Bottom Line:
This bike for a first proper mountain bike is a great choice. Standard parts are poor and will need replacing as i have done but the frame is Strong and reasonably light. Mine now feels like a much more expensive bike and to buy a bike with the parts i have on mine you'd have to pay around £800-£900.
I use this bike on mostly XC trails but i like the odd drop off now and again and this bike copes excellently

Favorite Trail:   Lonesome Pine Trail, Kielder Forest

Purchased At:   Halfords

Bike Setup:   Standard parts on this bike are really built to a budget so i have replaced everything so far apart from the wheels but new ones coming soon(Mavic Crossrides)...I'm running Deore lx front and rear mechs, Deore lx cranks, XT shifters and brake levers, Truvativ Team Stylo stem and Truvaitv Husslefelt bars, Rockshox Recon SL forks, Avid BB5 front and rear disc brakes, RaceFace Evolve Seatpost and WTB Laser V Saddle.

Submitted by Jubbs a Cross Country Rider from Scotland

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2010

Strengths:    Can be good value for money if you're going to be cycling some easier trails.
Good for those who are new to mountain biking and wanting to get some practice and build their skills/confidence.

Weaknesses:    Not suitable for much more than the easier trails! Cheap parts suffer from regular use.
The forks bottom out quite easily and are now starting to jam.
Real wheel buckled without me ever noticing any big hits
Brake pads wear away easily

Bottom Line:
I used it for cycling to work every so often. 14 mile roundtrip consisting of regular roads,dirt tracks and farm roads, some hill climbs/descents over loose stones small rocks etc. No jumps or drop offs.

I wanted a cheap mountain bike and found this to be a good entry level bike. I enjoyed riding the bike but it really was on it's limit on the route I used it and I was limited by how hard I could push it. After about 10 trips (so 140 miles) many of parts needed replacing as I mentioned above. I probably pushed it too hard but if you're after a bike to use off road without ever really wanting to do anything more than beginner level routes then this would be a decent bike to start off with. I grew with confidence and wanted to move onto trying more challenging routes-so an upgrade is needed!

Favorite Trail:   Stoney Mullen

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles. Glasgo

Similar Products Used:   I've only ridden friend's bike that are valued in the thousands so perhaps not a fair comparison!!

Submitted by ZA a Cross Country Rider from South Alabama

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2010

Strengths:    Great Frame. Classic GT 4130 CrMo, tig welded. Fairly light, very strong, easy to ride.

Weaknesses:    Mid level to low level components. Shocks were crap, heavy, crappy rims. Paint scratches off too easily.

Bottom Line:
I got the bike new in 1995 when it was new and GT was THE MTB maker after having won several top races. The Aggressor was great for the price, even for being the lowest tier mtb of the GT line. Actually, the components differences were the only difference in the quality of the bikes for GT back then. I rode that bike 20 miles a day, literally. It was a great bike, handled well, shifted great, comfortable to ride, it never gave me any problems until the forks broke. It has sat in my garage being shuffled around house to house until I finally drug it out and rebuilt the frame. It still is an impressive frame that garners looks from everyone.
Gary Turner has since sold the Company, and the company has changed hands again recently and seems to be reamerging as a solid Bike company, not the big box bike maker with Huffy quality.

Purchased At:   Boca Raton, FL