GT 2001 Avalanche 1.0 XC Hardtail

4.39/5 (56 Reviews)

Submitted by Sakotto a Cross Country Rider from SF

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2011

Strengths:    Amazingly fast and strong for 10yr old bike. can climb and decent really well. Avid disc brake work without flaws every time.

Weaknesses:    color...

Bottom Line:
Great for beginner bike who looking to get the skills down before move on to full suspension.

Favorite Trail:   Saratoga Gap

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   this was my first bike

Bike Setup:   upgrade to XTR front and rear derailleur

Submitted by basharteg a Cross Country Rider from Grover, WY

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2008

Strengths:    I reviewed this bike 6 years ago, and I'm still riding it. The Frame is as good as GT is reputed to be. I've changed switched the pedals egg beaters and the cranks to XT. I also upgraded the front derailer to XT. But I'm still rocking the Judy fork and the avid brakes. This bike is awesome. Been riding it for over 6 years, changed the drive train twice.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub finally snapped about 3 years ago. I replaced it with an XT hub, had the rim replaced because I couldn't part with the Syncros Big Box rims. Replaced the moto raptor tires with a specialized set two years ago. I wore the others out.

Bottom Line:
What can I say? I've used it hard for 6 years, and it still is everything I need. That's value.

Favorite Trail:   Spruce Hollow

Purchased At:   Als

Similar Products Used:   been so long since I bought the GT, I've forgotten

Bike Setup:   All XT drive train and cranks, otherwise still stock. Avid disk brakes have been maintenance free for 6 years.

Submitted by Richard Schofield a Cross Country Rider from Cardiff, UK

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2004

Strengths:    wieght, frame rigidity, build quality, Avid cable brakes outstanding

Weaknesses:    hubs!! Both front and rear Formula, both bearings pitted within 12 months. I know we get a lot of rain in Wales but.....

Bottom Line:
Great balance, small model suits my build. Shimano gears incredibly robust. Can't say enough good things about the Avid disks - low maintenance, incredible stopping power, good feel. Clipless pedals give me some nervous moments. Liked the bike so much I bought a second from Halfords!! Great value at £500. So I have one blue and one black/silver. Very disapointed with the hubs. Halfords replaced under warranty, but will never knowingly buy anything from Formula again. Looked at the Avalanche 0.0, but it had Formula B4 brakes - got to be a disaster!

Now looking for good condition 2001 Avalanche or Aggressor for my daughter (must be xs)

Favorite Trail:   roquebrune circle

Purchased At:   Sunset, Cardiff

Similar Products Used:   Marin

Bike Setup:   Standard except for wheels. Formulas disintegrated and replaced with Hope XC with Mavic 317 rim.

Submitted by jamie knight a Weekend Warrior from taunton england

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2003

Strengths:    good brakes good frame (untill it broke ) good handaliny

Weaknesses:    weak dropouts (mine snaped after 3 weeks )

Bottom Line:
realy good bike till it broke but then gt are giveing me a ruckus so is ok i sopose

Favorite Trail:   anything

Purchased At:   a bike shop

Similar Products Used:   loads of hartail

Bike Setup:   starderd apart from crud cacher

Submitted by Mathieu B a Cross Country Rider from Laval, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2002

Strengths:    First thing i did whnen i bought this bike is I change the shock For a Marzochi Bomber Z1. With it its a great bike handle good.

Weaknesses:    The damn clip pedla took me two month to understand how to get my feet off those clip and let my bike go. Got some scrars to proove it !!!

Bottom Line:
Great bike
Great Brakes
Handles great

Favorite Trail:   all around

Purchased At:   Multi sports

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by kelly a Cross Country Rider from grover, wyoming

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Strengths:    Frame is great; climbs well and screams downhill. Components have been good, by and large. XT drive train lives up to product's reputation, Deore cranks and shifters work fine, they could be XT for all I can tell. Bike handles really well for a larger frame.

Weaknesses:    I'm not a really big guy, I go 5'9 165 and this bike kind of gets away from at times. I think it may be preferable for large guys, but this is a little gripe because on the whole this bike works great under me.

Bottom Line:
Every other bike I looked at with rocshoc fork and disc brakes was over one thousand. this bike looked great and had decent components, so I took a chance. Glad i did. This is an excellent bike. I cant' imagine upgrading it without buying a bike for 2,000.00 or more.

Favorite Trail:   spruce hollow

Purchased At:   Al's

Similar Products Used:   diamond back sorrento

Bike Setup:   stock set up. But a nice foamy cover on the rock hard seat and that was cheaper than buying a new seat. I intend to replace the richie clippless with Times. I still have a scar on my chin thanks to those damn richies. can't get in and out of them quick enough.

Submitted by Ryan W a Weekend Warrior from West Chester, OH

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2002

Strengths:    Climing, Price with nice components,Weight, Avid disk brakes are amazing.

Weaknesses:    Not many i can tell so far.

Bottom Line:
This is the first really nice bike that I have had. Last bike was a department store Pacific. Never buy them. My fork bent and broke while riding on flat ground. Pissed me off. This bike is 50X better than that as I would hope so. This bike climbs any hill you put in front of it. And the Avids make all decents feel controled and great. The biggest thing that i like about this bike was the price. I see many others have paid less than I but I still think that this bike was a steal. This bike hasn't faltered at anything I give at it. But this bike is best for those long hard rides with hard climbs and long hours.

Favorite Trail:   Ceaser Creek

Purchased At:   West Chester Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   I tried out many full suspension bikes like jamis and Giant until I settled on a hardtail.(Limited Budget)

Bike Setup:   Only things I have swaped was the stock saddle and the stock clipless pedals to times.

Submitted by Stephen Schlather a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2002

Strengths:    Geez, where do I begin? Components are incredible for the price, esp the disc brakes. You could ride the frame through a minefield and not have to worry about it cracking. XT derailleur. Incredible climber, handles downhill extremely well. The pretty colors.

Weaknesses:    Headset, tires, saddle, bottom bracket.

Bottom Line:
This is an updated review from one I submitted back in October. I rode this baby 5 days a week for almost 9 months through some pretty nasty conditions. Right now it's in the shop getting a few fixes.

Let's see, problems: bad chainslap, creaking headset, broken seal on rockshox, regularly broken spokes due to chainslap and badly adjusted derailleur (my mistake though), replaced bottom bracket due to creaking.

The upside is that all the repairs were very inexpensive and most were "normal" maintenance issues so there's nothing to worry about there. Bike's in the shop getting the headset overhauled, rear derailleur adjusted and broken seal on suspension fixed. Total price is less than $20.

I haven't seen this bike anymore online or in the local stores. If you see one though I suggest you snag it as quick as possible. This bike is well worth the $650 it costs and leaves your budget open for upgrades and maintenance costs. I wouldn't be hesitant at all to enter a race with this bike. Also, Fire XC Pros made all the difference when riding this thing. This bike and those tires were meant for each other.

Favorite Trail:   Greenbelt, Emma Long!!!

Purchased At:   bikesale.com

Similar Products Used:   GT XCR 4000 - not exactly similar, but hey, it's a GT.

Bike Setup:   changed tires to Panaracer Fire XC Pros. Thinking about changing headset to Chris King Threadless. Changed out Shimano UN-40 BB to UN-72.

Submitted by Gregor a Weekend Warrior from Santa Barbara, CA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2002

Strengths:    Frameset, included components, brakes

Weaknesses:    saddle is a little hard

Bottom Line:
If you can still find this bike for sale, pick it up! The frame is bombproof and the components are pretty nice for $650. The Avid brakes alone retail for about $85 apiece. You can't find a better hardtail value out there. It's a nimble bike, climbs well, and stops like a dog hitting the end of it's chain. I use it for XC riding on weekends and I ride it to work a couple times a week. I hadn't ridden in about 8 years and wanted to get back into biking. I researched a lot of bikes and kept coming back to this one. I also need to give props to Cambria Bike: their staff was excellent and gave new meaning to the term 'customer service'.

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   Stock bike

Submitted by Schmedley from Baltimore, MD USA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Strengths:    cost, and it's a bike

Weaknesses:    pick it up

Bottom Line:
I can't say enough good things about this bike. For the money I paid, I have beat this bike up and it's hasn't had any problems. In 6 months: 35 rides, 450 miles, 3 sport class x-country races (one at Michuax PA!!) and have yet to have a mechanical other than a few flats. It's HEAVY, but you really don't notice it, because it's well balanced, you can throw it around. I'm not sure what it is (probably the heavy rim's centrifugal force) but this bike cooks down hills without pedaling! Shox and Headset suck, period. I'm getting EKO air cartridge and Chris King headset. otherwise, buy this bike if your tight for $$$. 5 steaming turds both value and overall (remember the price).

Favorite Trail:   michuax PA USA

Purchased At:   colorado psyclist

Similar Products Used:   homegrown xt

Bike Setup:   stock except for time pedals and terry seat

Submitted by Johannes a Weekend Warrior from Tallinn

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2002

Strengths:    Looks, brakes, rims, shimano components.

Weaknesses:    FRAME FRAME FRAME FRAME SUSPENSION SUSPENSION
AND GT Customer service!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
The bike is nice, handles ok, but i bought the XL frame and i should have went for the M. The suspension leaked and i got it repaired on the final day of the warranty(!).
Then i learned how to do hops on the backwheel and then...
THE FRAME BROKE (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) at the rear!!!!!
It clearly wasn`t my fault because i wasnt ripping the bike hard and i am just a beginner, but the GT customer service told me it is my fault and were very stingy to me, but they told me they will replace the frame but it might take a lot of time, because they don`t have an Avalanche frame and they have to look for it somewhere!It is the beginning of the season here in Estonia and they make me wait my arse off!!!! I still haven`t got a new frame and i might be sitting still for a long time! NEXT TIME I`M GOING FOR A KONA!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   nope

Purchased At:   Extreme Sport

Similar Products Used:   Scott Peak 1998 (?)

Bike Setup:   wellgo bmx pedals, vdo cytec 15+ computer.

Submitted by Andy Lintern a Weekend Warrior from Oxfordshire, UK

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2002

Strengths:    Good solid frame, Avid Disks, good standard components

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy for the price but who cares - you get fitter :)

Bottom Line:
Bought the bike for £680 reduced from £800 last May. The best value, best looking bike I had come across. Feels very solid (specially the saddle! hmmm time for a USE Alien suspension seatpost) and the brakes are excellent. The bike is well balanced and the gears shift smoothly (or they did once I leaned how to change gear properly :) (newbie alert)
Well recomended midrange hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   The Dorset coast

Purchased At:   Bee-Line Bicycles, Oxford

Similar Products Used:   My first MTB :) (tried Trek 4300,4500,6000, GF Tassajara, Dawes Edge)

Bike Setup:   Standard except changed the clipless pedals for ordinary ones.

Submitted by Jeremy Bengay a Weekend Warrior from Provo, Ut, USA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2002

Strengths:    Good bike for the money!!!! The frame is really good. The components are pretty good. XT rear derailler.

Weaknesses:    GT hubs, Deore front derailler, seat, tires, tubes, handlebars, Grips, Deore Crankset, nothing a little bit of money can't handle.

Bottom Line:
For the price I bought this bike at I could use the cash I was to spend on it to buy better parts. Some of the components will need to be upgraded but not for a while. Turn this hog into a $1900 by saving the cash for an XT up-grade kit($300) and better shocks($400).

Favorite Trail:   Newbury, SC