Giant Yukon XC Hardtail

4.17/5 (212 Reviews)

Submitted by Dan

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2013

Strengths:    Frame feels solid/durable (compared to my old diamondback). Works great on smoother trails and packed surfaces. Overall solid feel.

Weaknesses:    Not recommended for more bumpy surfaces. Obviously it lacks a full suspension, but for some reason, more so than any other bike I've had, this one really likes to jump up and bite the twig and giggle-berries on less than even surfaces. Rear disc break gives me trouble no matter how I adjust it, but that may be isolated.

Bottom Line:
Great for beginners or someone who hasn't ridden in a while, but I'd recommend a full suspension, even a cheap one, for you future childrens sake. Obviously not for downhill ( I considered that in the above strengths and weaknesses).

Submitted by Antonio a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2012

Strengths:    Frame, fork, pedals, brakes, rear derailleur..

Weaknesses:    Seat, hadlebars, front derailleur, tires

Bottom Line:
Im using it for over 1 year, and I passed about 1000 km on mostly xc tracks, and I havent had any problems beasides tires who came with a bike. I switched tires with new 2.3 ones, and since that havent had any flat tire.. Its good first bike!

Favorite Trail:   XC trails

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Danville,CA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2011

Strengths:    Breaks work very well. Good for first time bikers. Fun on jumps
and bmx tracks. High bars if you think that's good.

Weaknesses:    Almost everything. Gears suck. To me it just feels weird. Tires are also horrible. Really heavy. About 30 lbs. Components are bad too.

Bottom Line:
Not a very good bike. Best for first time riders. I only use it for jumps and bmx tracks.

Favorite Trail:   Summit trial

Purchased At:   Danville Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Trek 3700

Submitted by brandvegn a Weekend Warrior from Birmingham, AL

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2011

Strengths:    This bike is thick and burly. I have had it and been using it for a long time. I use it about 2-3 times a week for minor biking (3-8 miles) to places. I use it about 5-10 times a year for anything remotely called mountain biking, mostly trail rides with some singletrack. When I originally got it, I would say I went out about 30-40 times in that first couple of years.

Weaknesses:    The padded breaks are fine, but at some point and time, if I ever really get into mountains, I will have to get disk brakes. I am still running stock on these. The crank is nothing to write home about. I did upgrade to some nicer shifters when I bought the bike. The fork is fine for what I do. I imagine I would like a tighter response on bigger stuff now that I know how forks work.There is some residual bounce after landing bigger jumps which can throw me off on balance, but I haven't had this happen yet.

Bottom Line:
The frame on this is it's biggest atribute. It is big, yet light and I think if I was a bit of a harder rider, this thing would not crack. It is just a burly, hefty frame and I love it. It is light, but probably not as light as newer bikes at this price point. The stock components are sufficient for light use, but I went through pads like crazy, the crank had some give on uphill and still does. I would say after 9 years you may need to change out and upgrade, but I think stock is fine for normal light to medium use.

Favorite Trail:   Trussville Park

Purchased At:   Harrisonburg, VA Cyc

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Pedro a Cross Country Rider from Portugal

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2010

Strengths:    Frame resistance,
Very good on trails,
Good climber,
Value for money,
Appearance
A good choice for begginers.

Weaknesses:    The seat is way too hard
Tires (kenda)
Could be lighter
The suspension (XCT v2) ok but it could be better.

Bottom Line:
It´s an honest bike whith a good value-for-money...
Not excepcionally good, but is not bad. A good chioce for begginers.

Bike Setup:   Giant Yukon "stock"

Submitted by Jarvis boots a Racer from hilo,hawaii

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2010

Strengths:    frame,brakes,fork,cables,rear derailer,seat,da ho bike

Weaknesses:    plastic pedals,front derailer

Bottom Line:
i have a yellow giant yukon front and rear disc mostly used as a trial bike but i still ride au ova but dis wan da best bikes i owend very durable if u no how useum stock brakes decent hayes but upgraded to shimanos soon to sample bengals i used this bike for four years an not to much mantinence or attention.
best bike for all around use

Favorite Trail:   anywea da tiaz fit

Purchased At:   mid pacific wheels

Similar Products Used:   au kine goodz

Bike Setup:   stock wit shimano 515 calipers,speedometer,replace grips,das au

Submitted by fiona a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2010

Strengths:    amazing on uphill climes. Did a 1 in 5 hill easy as. It rocked

Weaknesses:    cornering oould have given me more confidence

Bottom Line:
It rocked for the money it costs. Totally recomend it for long and short runs on an off roads. My friend had put amazing tires on it so it did'nt stick to the road too much but handled the gravel ok

Favorite Trail:   all fo them

Purchased At:   from my friend

Submitted by glokeh a Weekend Warrior from Missoula, MT, USA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2010

Strengths:    Good frame, great tires. Like the disc breaks

Weaknesses:    Saddle hurts on long rides. Seat stem doesn't go down far enough. Weak components

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike so I could get back into Downhill riding again. I searched and searched for the best deal since I couldn't afford a full suspension but didn't want to settle for a Wal-Mart bike. Overall I like the bike. I took the bike on an advanced trail and found myself second guessing my purchase. The bike held up but it felt like riding a bucking bronco on 90% of the trail. The Dart 1 front fork did little for me and can't wait to upgrade. I would say this bike is more suited for easy trails and around town.

Favorite Trail:   Snow Bowl

Purchased At:   Big Sky Bike and Fit

Bike Setup:   Stock except for grips

Submitted by Rob Lawrence a Weekend Warrior from Hartsville, SC South Carolina

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2010

Strengths:    Decent bike, light enough. Acceptable entry level disc brakes

Weaknesses:    Frame split at lower sway arm, and Giant will not honor the warranty. Shop states bike was "put in a vise and pulled apart." Seriously, who would do that? It has to be a defect, but Giant won't honor it's supposed warranty.

Bottom Line:
Giant does not seem terribly earnest at honoring warranty. There is no way this bike was damaged in the manner they state unless someone stole it, "pulled it apart in a vise" and then put it back in my shed exactly as it was. Preposterous. Giant is not dependable in either quality or in backing up their warranties obviously.

Purchased At:   Summit Cycles Columb

Similar Products Used:   Ancient Diamond Back early generation aluminum frame....20 plus years old and still a dream.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by DanMcCann a Weekend Warrior from Kenora, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2010

Strengths:    2009 Yukon...The frame is super solid and I love the Rock Shox Dart 2 fork. I use this bike for both road and trail and I love the lockout on the fork. When riding on flat or climbing hills it is great to be able to just flip the lockout and save some valuable energy. I also like the Shimano Deore rear derailleur. It shifts quick and smooth.

Weaknesses:    I find the front derailleur (Shimano Alivio) to be hit and miss. It tends to hang up on shifts and throw the chain off on occasion. It may just need to be tuned up a bit. I also find the saddle a bit uncomfortable, but thats just a personal preference.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike to get back into biking since I haven't really ridden much in the last 8-10 years. I wanted a good entry-level bike that I could take on the road and the trails and so far this bike has done really well. I am 230 lbs and this bike feels really solid even for a bigger guy like me. I looked at a lot of bikes and by far this one seemed to be the best buy for the price range. It had some quality components and a good frame to build off of later. Most of the other bikes I looked at in the same range had lower quality forks and didn't offer disc brakes. This is not a great bike for someone looking to be doing big dirt jumps or drops, but if you are looking to get into some all around mountain biking I would strongly recommend this bike.

Purchased At:   The Hardwear Company

Similar Products Used:   GT Outpost...

Bike Setup:   2009 Giant Yukon (all stock)--- Rock Shox Dart 2 fork, Hayes MX4 disc brakes, Shimano Alivio front derailleur and shifters, Deore rear derailleur, Kenda K-Rad tires...

Submitted by m3mito a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, AUS

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2010

Strengths:    Tough as hell, was really happy with my Yukon, used it to commute and cross-country. 2007 Model, good components for a beginner or going pro rider....wont let you down

Weaknesses:    When i got myself a Giant XTC2 as my main bike to cross-country, I decided to change everything in my yukon.
(road tyres, seat and shifters) However it became too attractive and some IDIOT stole it :(
Bike is good as is...but if you want to ride hard, you may need to change the front suspension, shifters, cassette and tyres.

Bottom Line:
I'd kill the guy who stole my Yukon :)

Favorite Trail:   Loftus nad Menai (Lucas Heights)

Purchased At:   Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Giant Alias

Bike Setup:   mmm too long to list...check the website. ;)

Submitted by mattlreese a Racer from Gaithersburg. MD

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2010

Strengths:    1. Not many brands make a 24in size bike which is what I needed.
2. Frame is solid, good construction
3. The Crank is ok. (with a new chainring)

Weaknesses:    1. 550 seems kind of high for a entry level bike with disc brakes.
2. Dart 1 fork is worthless
3. Disc brakes ended up braking about a year into owning the bike.
4. Component group is worthless I bent the middle chainring on my first ride, and it was on a paved trail.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike about two years ago when I was first getting into the sport. I did not know much about bikes then and there was not a whole lot out there that fit someone of my height. I knew Giant was a good brand, and the bike had disc brakes so I bought it.
I like to compete in entry level mountain bike races and since I am a big dude I do tend to put a lot more stress on the components the other people may. This bike is ok for light mountain biking but you will end up replacing many of the components . The frame is pretty solid though so you cannot go wrong. I am down to the wheels, crank, and frame as my only original parts. I would upgrade more but I am going to wait and buy a 29er.

This is not a bad bike, but I would shop around there are better bikes out there at this price point.

Submitted by singletrack4me a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2010

Strengths:    Price. I'd like the pedals if they worked right. Brake levers are light, feel great and have stood up to a couple of crashes.

Weaknesses:    Lousy quality control and customer service, forks (heavy, little adjustment) and brakes (squeal most of the time once they wear in) will leave you wanting something a little better. Stopping power is plenty for the rear but the front is too weak. Endo's on flat ground are out of the question. The shifters don't tell you what gear you are in which has gotten me in trouble a couple of times.

Bottom Line:
It got the Giant bike because it seemed to be a decent component set and best overall value. For the lower price you get lousy quality control and poor customer service. The bike is made in China, not Taiwan as I'd expected. The frame welds on my bike are the ugliest I've seen, both pedals had bearing issues and one would barely turn. Front shifting is the worst of any bike I've ever come across, perhaps because it has a different (and cheaper) derailleur than in the specifications.

My dealer blew me off so I contacted Giant on their hard-to-find contact web form and got no reply. Good thing I was only after a pair of pedals and not something expensive. I sure hope the frame holds up.

In retrospect, I would have been much better off with a decently specced bike with v-brakes and then upgraded to better discs later. Giant don't have such a thing in their product line which is fine as I won't be buying from them again.

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Purchased At:   Small local bike dea

Bike Setup:   Stock 2010

Submitted by tienle355 a Cross Country Rider from Santee, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2009

Strengths:    light, good starter bike, brakes good, looks decent.

Weaknesses:    tires seem to be poor (do not grip as well I think), shifters could be smoother.

Bottom Line:
I'm riding 4 times/week and on average an hour a ride. Need to upgrade tires or something to improve grip. Got to do something to improve climbing steep hills. Love this first/starter bike. Looking forward to upgrade this bike or bike a better/all-mountain/trail bike with full suspension.

Favorite Trail:   East Route, Poway