Giant XTC XC Hardtail

4.28/5 (18 Reviews)

The XTC opens the door to hardtail heaven. This incredible value has a nimble, responsive aluminum frame and a RockShox Duke XC fork for comfort and control.

Submitted by rodrigof a Cross Country Rider from bogota

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2010

Strengths:    Ultra fast bike, light frame, strong frame and above all this is a trustable bike. I used it to road biking with proper tires: unbeatable. Used to practice some bike trial and it was good enough, frame didnt complaint, just me that had some major shin scratches.

I use to be a weekend warrior and the bike was fast climbing and too fast downwards. The main use for this bike was street trial or some kind of dirt jumping. As im light weight 60 Kg this bike could stand for the use and abuse and never had an issue apart from some flats. Now im about to get a new XTC Alliance. XTC Best bike ever.

Weaknesses:    It came with a Rock Shox Judy TT suspension which was enough for me, im 60Kg weight, but it could had a better one because this one is difficult to adjust bouncing.

Bottom Line:
To have the better performance install group from shimano SLX to XTR. Frame is seat low enough to make street jumps if low seated. Use wide slicks like serfas ones and you will be able to road fast and jump without trouble in the streets. On the road performance is well above other bikes.

Just because of the long cage rear derraileur and the usual jumps i had many issues with the rear shifting and chain always dropped both rear and BB, but it was my fault not the bike.

Generally speaking the bike is very fast and light like a feather i give it 4.5 stars. This bike is what make Giant different from others.

Favorite Trail:   bitaco pavas cuchilla

Purchased At:   koning

Bike Setup:   XTC Team 17" group Deore LX, Deore LX V brake, azonic double riser handlebar

Submitted by Vlada.bgd a Weekend Warrior from Belgrade

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2010

Submitted by costam a Weekend Warrior from Montreal

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2009

Strengths:    Rigid, fast, lightweight, great build quality. Great value.

Weaknesses:    Hayes front brake drags a bit, must pay close attention when installing front wheel; paint chips and scratches easily.

Bottom Line:
A hard-riding friend suggested that if I was to buy just one bike for all types of riding — road, trail, etc. — the XTC was the bike. He was right. This bike is responsible for getting me back into biking, I use it almost daily now. I even got studded tires and use it in winter.

Purchased At:   Sports Depot

Bike Setup:   stock 2008 model

Submitted by AwP a Weekend Warrior from Jacksonville,FL

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2009

Strengths:    Incredible frame. Stock components can easily go away and soon you'll be rolling on an XC race machine.
After 3 years, dropouts still good, though worn.
Integrated headset. Stiff handling on climbs. Nice finish.

Weaknesses:    Fork. Only because of bias towards Fox. Why haven't I upgraded? Good question.
Initially, BB needed to be tightened.

Bottom Line:
Best aluminum hard-tail frame.
Could I make it better? Sure. A little Fox fork here, a little Crossmax SL's there. But seriously, great bike.

Purchased At:   Champion Cycling

Bike Setup:   Sram X9. Mavic Crossland disc. Easton comps. SLX cranks. Rock Shox Duke. Larsen TT ust.

Submitted by Raphaël a Racer from Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2008

Strengths:    Fox Fork, handling, the quality you get for the price.

Weaknesses:    Wheels..!

Bottom Line:
had to change the stem and the seatpost to get a more 'racing' geometry....except that, you get a really nice bike for the price when it's stock:P Mine is not ..haha

Favorite Trail:   Mont Sainte-Anne

Purchased At:   Demers Bicyclettes e

Similar Products Used:   Devinci Desperado, Rocky Mountain Element 70, Trek Y33, Giant NRS C2

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT Dual, XTR Brakes, Xt in front, XTR rear, Mavic 3.1 tubeless, Monkeylite handlebar, RaceFace crank etc...

Submitted by Paul Maneveld a Cross Country Rider from Cape Town, South Africa

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2008

Strengths:    Weight(none!); stiffness (lots!)

Bottom Line:
So, check the build, this is an uncompromising race weapon;the carbon frame is a work of art, and every bolt on my rig is blinging titanium. Giant's reputation is beyond reproach, and it was made on bikes like this. She's a beautiful climber, a forgiving descender, a switchblade on singletrack, especially with that plush fork (massive stanchions steer like it's got GPS; for that price, it should), and an all round blast to ride, even just around car parks - it's like pitching up at a party with Adriana Lima on your arm.

Favorite Trail:   The Majik Forest, Tygerberg

Purchased At:   Cycle Trader

Bike Setup:   FoxF100X Terra Logic;AvidJuicy Carbon Disc brakes;Mavic xc717Disc wheels;DT Swiss hubs; Full SRAM XO; XTR pedals and cranks;Amoeba Carbon bars;Easton Stem and Seatpost; Selle San Marco carbon saddle;Kenda Klimax Lite UST tyres

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from WA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2007

Strengths:    Great value; light weight; excellent build quality.

Weaknesses:    a little too stiff?

Bottom Line:
I only purchased the Giant Xtc Team frame, I bought everything else according to my own specs, just didn't like the way the bike was outfitted from the factory...
This frame is feather light and quite strong as I weigh 185 lbs and have been riding it hard for over a year without issues. Great hardtail geometry and feel, it climbs superbly! Of course it can be a rough ride on really rocky/rooty descents - that is the tradeoff for the light weight and strength of this frame...

Favorite Trail:   State Patrol

Purchased At:   Cambria Online

Similar Products Used:   Trek 830; Giant Rincon; Giant ATX860

Bike Setup:   Custom set-up: FOX F80-RL suspension fork, Mavic Crossland wheelset, Avid BB7 disc brakes, Deore XT derailleurs & shifters, Truvativ Holzfeller crankset.

Submitted by Caleb a Racer from Bozeman, MT, United States

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2007

Strengths:    Durability, speed, weight

Weaknesses:    Probably made in a sweat shop somewhere, but i guess thats the thing called life.

Bottom Line:
I first got this bike right at as i turned 17 and raced up to about 2 weeks ago when I got an Ellsworth Epiphany for my 21st. When I first got the XTC I knew nothing about mountain biking and just thought the bike looked cool. But the bike took me being on of the top riders in the state for under 21, so its definetly a fast bike. Due to being a hardtail, it is a bit on the bumpy side, and probably not quite as comfortable as some of the full suspension bikes, but i guarantee it will beat most of the full suspension bikes. So i think comfort can be compromised for a good laugh as you watch the competitors cross the finish line a good margin behind you. So uhh, go buy the XTC, i bet you will be happy.

Favorite Trail:   Nudraper (in Oklahoma)

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Store

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Epiphany

Bike Setup:   Slowly changed everything out with xtr, which consequently made it one of the fastest bikes around.

Submitted by Tom Jones a Weekend Warrior from Houghton, MI

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2006

Strengths:    Very lightweight, nice looking, great components. Excellent feel.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Bike is one of my first since I am just beginning in riding. I've been very satisfied with it and it's performance. It's winter and I'm still cruising around on it trying to find trouble.

Submitted by Jose Enrique Tavarez a Weekend Warrior from Santiago , Dominican Republic

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2006

Strengths:    APPEARANCE, LIGHTNESS AND COMPONENTS

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
tHE BEST HANDLE ALL AROUND IN ANY ALUM BIKE I EVER RIDE.
VERY LIGHT AND SOLID FRAME, WICH LET YOU RIDE WITH LESS EFFORT
IN ANY CONDITIONS AND TERRAIN.

THIS ONE DESERVES A 9

Favorite Trail:   lLOS COLMADOS

Purchased At:   BICICENTRO

Similar Products Used:   GT ZASKAR,SPECIALIZED STUMPJUMPER JAMIS DAKAR

Bike Setup:   MAVIC CROSSMAX XL, ROCK SHOX SID RACE,

Submitted by Jin Maekawa a Cross Country Rider from Bangkok, Thailand

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2006

Strengths:    real light, sweet 2006 color (red and silver) great seatin postion, makes evryone break their neck when you ride pass them.

Weaknesses:    paint will scratch off easily, especially for the non powder coat version.

Bottom Line:
u want a sexy frame that is lite strong and looks absolutely amazin, the xtc team or the regular xtc is great. great for cross country and high speed rides, but not for the dare devil riders. evrythin u want from a competition hardtail that is affordable. my favorite aluminium frame along with the khs alite 4000 and khs alite team.

Favorite Trail:   15k narrow, red dirt, in hua hin

Purchased At:   just for "xtc team" frame bought at interbike

Similar Products Used:   khs alite 4000

Bike Setup:   xtc team frame, fox f100rlt, full lx components, mavic 517 rims with lx hubs, kore handle bar stem and seat post.

Submitted by Rick a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, il, USA

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2006

Strengths:    Super light and sturdy, okay stock parts, screams up hills, a great deal!

Weaknesses:    little un-happy with the saddle, the installed disks a touch temperamental. I got what I $$$ for though!

Bottom Line:
While trying to figure how to afford a Lightspeed I gave the xtc a run: though 6 foot and 160lbs I just like light bikes. Hopping a simple city curb on the test ride I got a flat but I was hooked (I think it was under-inflated, no flats since). It nearly performs as well as the 4k$ lightspeed I almost went broke over, 250 rough single-track miles later it's still great. What little street riding I do on this bike went nice. There is no way I would use this without disks though, with a ride this good why dampen the fun trying to stop? I'm impressed with the Avid stuff (interesting levers but I got used to them) but the disks need work often: rear disk rubs the caliper housing making a singing noise sometimes. Dealer nor myself cannot keep it perfect, I think the mounting to frame is weak.

Favorite Trail:   FDR park, IA or Paylos, IL

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed, Iron Horse, a few Specialized Rockhoppers.

Bike Setup:   Stock with added Avid disks before riding out the store.

Submitted by Basil Chua a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2006

Strengths:    The Giant XTC frame is superlight and rigid for this price. By using a KONA Caldera-spec parts for the same price range, it's unbelievably light and strong.

Weaknesses:    None for the moment.

Bottom Line:
GIANT XTC aluminium frames are superlight and rigid. With the current setup, I could cruise at 30 km/h on road effortlessly. So far, on flat paved roads, I've clocked 45 km/h. And on level gravel roads, I've clocked 25 km/h on average easily. I've yet to clock my average speed for mud tracks...

I would strongly recommend the GIANT XTC frame for anyone who wants a strong and superlight frame at a reasonable budget. All you have to do is to get better parts and you've quite a strong performer for an medium entry-level bike.

Cheers from Singapore.

Purchased At:   Singapore

Bike Setup:   What I did was to install a KONA Caldera-spec parts onto the GIANT XTC frame. Marzhochi MX-2 fork, Hayes 9XC disc brakes, Truvati Blaze crank set, WTB handle/ saddle and of course upgraded Panaracer Cinder 2.1 and 2.25 tyres.

Submitted by Jimmy a Weekend Warrior from Tallahassee,Fl

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2005

Strengths:    Light,nimble, and FAST

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This is a very fast very light nimble machine. I have ridden it everyday since I got it on the commute and trails and it is a dream. I cant wait to race it. A little pricy for me but to get all these components on a bike would be twice as much.

Purchased At:   Great Bicycle Shop