Giant XTC Composite 1 XC Hardtail

The Giant XTC Composite 1 is an unfair advantage for those who want every advantage. Its feathery frame uses the highest-grade T-800 carbon for stiffness, strength and weight that puts many road bikes to shame.

Submitted by iRide FOCO a Cross Country Rider from Foco, Co

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2010

Strengths:    Light, stiff, great power transfer

Bottom Line:
This bike is great. I was riding an 08 Specialized Stumpy FSR and Specialized was being a pain about warranty replacement so I decided to cut my losses and get a new bike. I got the frame and a few extras from a guy off craigslist. This bike has not let me down. I have added on a lot of my old parts from my stumpy and this thing flies. Mine is built up around 25 lbs. The only complaint I have heard, not had, is that it is fairly pricey.

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Backbone

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   specialized hardrock, no comparison

Bike Setup:   Juicy 5 sl brakes, dt swiss 240 rims, Fox F80 RL Push'd, SRAM X7 shifters, Specialized riser bar, Crank brothers Candy pedals.

Submitted by fieldmouse a Weekend Warrior from Sheffield UK

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2009

Strengths:    Weight! Frame, XT/XTR group set

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I've been scouring the internet for reviews on bikes.. toying with buying carbon or not.. I had my Trek 8500 since 1999 and it was ace.. light, reliable and easy to maintain. I decided on theXTC C1 over the Scott Scale 30 purely on weight and group set. Th Scott is light and it seems to be easy to find a weight of about 23lbs for a medium... Try to find this for the Giant - no chance.. Well I took delivery of my 2008 XTC C1 two days ago. I got a 19" medium and it weighs 10kg (22lbs) bang on. My initial mile test drive had me hitting 25mph on a road where I hadn't before.. The next day I cycled to work and back for a good 18 mile round trip.. Initial impressions are good. As I menitoned - it's light so climbing and acceleration seemed effortless.. The riding position is perfect for me (at 5.10ft) - I don't have to strecth out like on the Trek. On the way in, I went off road and the Kenda Small Blocks were pretty awsome and providied loads of grip (which I wasn't expecting). The gear changes were crisp and the fox fork soaked up more bumps than I ever realised. On the way home I went on the road.. and again the tyres impressed again.. They are fast and have very little rolling resistance.
Overall first impressions are awsome. I'd recommend this bike to anyone. This bike new in 2008 would cost £2000 ($3300) so it's expensive. I managed to shave £550 of the price due to it being a year old, so for under £1500, I think I got a good deal.

Favorite Trail:   Trans Pennine

Purchased At:   Pauls Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8500

Bike Setup:   Standard 2008 XTC C1

Submitted by Daniel Trunzo a Cross Country Rider from Toronto Canada

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2008

Strengths:    Excellent Stiffness, Weight, Geometry

Weaknesses:    NONE ! except price (Trigons now are cheaper)

Bottom Line:
Ridden this bike on Technical Trails, XC fast trails, Downhill Trails.. it's impeccable handling in all circumstances.. nobody stays near me on any track.
I purchased each single piece off the shelf and self assembled the bike from bare bones.

Favorite Trail:   Harwood Hills, Oakville 16 Mile Creek Niagara Falls Trail

Purchased At:   Self Built through various vendors

Similar Products Used:   Giant Iguana,

Bike Setup:   Full XTR 2007, Mavic Crossmax SLR 2005, All Ceramic Bearings, AVID Ultimate 2008.

Submitted by MOPETIN a Cross Country Rider from Santiago Dom Rep

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2007

Strengths:    EVERYTHING IS TIGHT, As should be.

Bottom Line:
My ride… a Giant XTC Composite 1. Full XTR, FSA CRANKS, MAVIC SL WEELS, SID WORLD CUP CARBON. It’s ridiculously LIGHT. 21 something, almost 22pnds. I didn’t buy this at a store… I build my rides from the ground up and step it up how I want, not how some manufactures thinks it should be, yes it’s more expensive but well worth it. My theory… build a bike just right, and just swap frames if you need a change. I’ve ridden a ZASKAR for many years… Then got in the F/S cross country bit on XCR1000, then a 2005 EPIC… and now back to HT. There is nothing I can say about this bike… for those who love HTs this is the way to go. Light, bomb proof… climbs effortlessly and did I mention light and sexy? Comfortable, no back pains after all day rides. Carbon is Carbon, if you can afford it… or make it a priority… it’s your best bet. I’ve spent almost what my car is worth on this bike, and it’s the money I’ll spent best. There is nothing better than a sweet ride on a Saturday afternoon, with a good conversation and fine cigars afterward with the fellas. This a ride, that makes all those long rides possible.

Favorite Trail:   Virgin single track...

Purchased At:   KALALA IMPORTS

Similar Products Used:   None compar

Bike Setup:   XTR, FSA CRANKS. SID WORLD CUP

Submitted by Arasan from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2007

Strengths:    Indestructable, lightweight, sexy, everything a hardtail should be...

Weaknesses:    The Rock Shox SID World Cup it came with... To flexible.
The XTR Ceramic V-brakes aren't great, despite changing to Jag pads, toe in toe out no toe, tried everything but the front squeals relentlessly....

Bottom Line:
It took several months and major changes but I think now I can honestly say I'm totally in love with this bike and wouldn't change it for the world. Climbs effortlessly despite me making it heavier over the year (see below), I feel i know it's character inside out now whether it's technical, fast downhill, endurance etc... Not to mention the fact i've absolutely battered the poor frame this past year and it's held up.
The deciding factor in buying it was value for money, in HK it came with the ultimate components package full XTR and SID WC, which complimented the C1 frame.
A year on in which I did Cape Epic, raced in various events around Asia and ridden it almost every other day i've made several changes to what I thought was the perfect package.
After 900km of Cape Epic torture I swapped the XTR Dual Controls which never changed precisely at the best of times for SRAM XO twisters and luv em.
The Rock Shox SID WC came under scrutiny next, as I became more confident with the feel of XTC and took it to it's limits I realised something just wasn't predictable at the front end through rock gardens, consequently changed to the REBA WC. Wow! the extra half lb in weight transformed the handling totally i'd never go back not even in a race. Overall rating i'm still gonna give it top marks espiecially after what i've put it through and the fact it's got done me proud in races!

Favorite Trail:   Chi Ma Wan

Similar Products Used:   Nothing anywhere near similar

Bike Setup:   Sram XO twisters Derailleur. RockShox Reba WC, XTR crank, XTR V-Brakes, Cross Max's, Maxxis CrossMark tires.

Submitted by mil;ton Fernandez a Cross Country Rider from Santiago , Dominican Republic

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2006

Strengths:    APPEARENCE, STRENGHT AND LIGHTNESS

Weaknesses:    PRICE

Bottom Line:
ITS SIMPLY THE MOST CONFORTABLE BIKE I EVER RIDE, FASTER, GREAT HANDLE,FAST RESPONSE IN CHANGES OF TERRAIN CONDITIONS, WITHOUT ANY DOUBT A STATE OF THE ART IN TWO WHEELS.

Favorite Trail:   Los Precipicios, Canca la Reina

Purchased At:   BICICENTRO

Similar Products Used:   GIANTMCM COMPOSITE, GT ZASKAR RACE, KLEIN ADROIT

Bike Setup:   CROSSNAX XL WHEELS, ROCK SHOX SID WORLD CUP, HAYES DISC BRAKES
SELLE ITALIA FILANTRO SADDLE, RACE FACE BB

Submitted by simon a Weekend Warrior from bolton england

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2006

Strengths:    just made the jump from road racing this is my first xc bike, all i can say is WOW it handles better than some road bike`s, its awesome i could`nt believe the weight of the thing brill{an english term]

Weaknesses:    none at the moment

Bottom Line:
absolutly fantasic!!!!!!

Purchased At:   mk cycles

Similar Products Used:   none first xc bike after years as a roadie

Bike Setup:   standard uk spec, mavic 717 rims race face everything x9 shifters etc

Submitted by William A from Honey Brook, PA, United States

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2006

Strengths:    Nimble. Fast and agile. Mavic Crossmax wheels. Race Face Crankset. Race Face Carbon seatpost. XTR RD. Fox F80RL fork. Lateral stiffness and rigidity.

Weaknesses:    Hutchinson Python tires. WTB saddle (the rails broke and WTB wants me to send it in so that they can determine whether or not they will fix it).

Bottom Line:
This bike is super fast and efficient. It feels like every push of the pedal yields 100% go. The carbon feels nice in really bumpy and rocky terrain. The crank set is extremely stiff and efficient. Definitely consider getting a size larger than your normal size, sice the frames seem to run small. I love this bike.
Buy this bike if you race or are planning to race regularly. If you will not be racing, get the aluminum version or maybe even a Rainier.

Favorite Trail:   French Creek State Park

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   2004 Giant Rainier with the same geometry.

Bike Setup:   Race Face crank, handlebar, seat post, and stem. XT front/XTR rear. Maxxis Larsen TTs UST in the front (excellent tire). FSA Orbit headset (integrated).

Submitted by damon ellenden a Racer from new zealand

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2006

Strengths:    engineered flex in carbon frame awsome, xo gear faultless,crossmax wheels stiff and strong,sid w/c fork light,price!

Bottom Line:
very low maintenance bike, light fast rolling beast,nice carbon frame very durable racers dream , giant packs a lot in for the price!

Favorite Trail:   naesby