Giant XtC 1 XC Hardtail

4.62/5 (21 Reviews)

Submitted by giantxtc2009 a Cross Country Rider from Livrpool, England

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2012

Strengths:    Frame/Gears... stock parts are okay but could do with replacing, Giant make alot of their own things that are heavy-ish... but they are strong quality parts !!!

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
GREAT BIKE ... BUY ONE IF YOU GET THE CHANCE YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED... ONE OF THE LIGHTEST FRAMES FOR THE PRICE ( 2009 xtc 1 )

Favorite Trail:   Marin Trail

Purchased At:   Ebay UK

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper SL

Bike Setup:   I'LL LIST EVERYTHIG ....Shimano Deore LX shifters, derailleur, brakes, Deore front mech, bontrager race lite bars, EA50 seat pin, Giant XC lock-on grips, Rigida Taurus rims, Kenda kross semi slicks, Marzocchi bomber forks...

Submitted by ZMC a Weekend Warrior from China and UK

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2010

Strengths:    Light and fast

Weaknesses:    Twitchy and flighty

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the frame only.

This bike won't suit everyone, it's a thoroughbred racehorse of a bike and certain conditions suit it better than others.

If you want to ride in a city it is fast in traffic with slicks or semi's on, teamed with lockable shocks it can fly around, great for jumping off curbs and can do wheelies for miles. It flies up hills and moderate and level terrain is great fun. Although keep unnecessary components off the bike or you'll ruin its strengths.

It is adequate at non-severe technical descents.

On the other hand if you want to do heavy duty stuff such has severe descents, jumps or places with with uneven terrain or very loose surfaces you'd be better off with a heavier more robust AM/FR bike.

Favorite Trail:   Depends on region/bike

Similar Products Used:   Giant ATX7, Specialized Rockhopper, Kona 5.0 plus many others....

Bike Setup:   All self built Avid/Truvativ

Submitted by el bikobandito a Cross Country Rider from Penna

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
Alright, heres the deal, I'm at home sick in bed and bored out of my mind so I'm reviewing all my bikes (Cuz what else am I gonna do).

I bought this bike (XTC1) as my backup bike. Giant makes great frames and they stand behind their warranties (unlike others...eh Trek?!?). For the money the bike came with a really nice parts spec; X7,Hayes hyd disc, WTB rims...not great but really nice for the money. Anyhow I use it mostly to commute to work but it is ready to ride should my other MT bikes take a crap (and I have 4 mtn bikes...so you wouldn't think it would ever see the dirt but such is not the case. I'm tough on stuff so it has had considerable trail time.)

For the rocks and roots and logs in eastern PA, it is not the most comfortable choice but it gets the job done. I switched out the fork (to a Marz AM II and addded some high volume treads and that helped alot). It is nice and light (25 lbs) and very responsive. Accelleration is quick and it lost some of its twitchy feel with the longer fork. Oh, and as I said earlier, I am tough on stuff, I broke the frame and no questions asked, Giant replaced it...hear that Trek. If you're looking for an affordable HT Giant is the way to go!

Favorite Trail:   Bear Creek

Submitted by heartland a Weekend Warrior from Bloomington, In USA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2009

Strengths:    Frame is stiff, stiff, and more stiff. Quick acceleration. Quality components for the price.

Weaknesses:    Stiff frame can beat you up on the downhill and technical sections, but what hardtail doesn't? Stock tires are only good for dry, hardpacked trails.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike after cracking the frame on a used Trek Fuel 90. Trek's warranty fell through since I wasn't the original owner, and not able to afford a decent full suspension bike, I went shopping for a solid hardtail and wound up with this guy.

Did my first long ride on it last weekend - it's a light, fast bike, quick on climbs, but a bit rough going downhill, especially through rocky and rooty sections of trail. I'm running fat 2.5 inch tires, though, and these help take the edge off on descents. The frame itself is really nimble and responsive; you step on the gas and it goes. The Marzocchi fork does its job. It's a touch squashy, but the lockout works well and helps out with climbs.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with this new ride. I'm hopping all the logs and rolling through all the rock gardens that I did on my full suspension rig, and I think being on a hardtail again will help me get better at picking my lines.

Favorite Trail:   Hesitation Point, Brown Co. State Park

Purchased At:   Bikesmiths

Similar Products Used:   older Trek 6000

Bike Setup:   Stock except for wheelset (Mavic rims laced to WTB hubs), Shimano deore LX shifters and derailleurs, shimano PD-M540 pedals

Submitted by santone53 a Weekend Warrior from San Antonio, Texas USA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2009

Strengths:    Frame is great... beefy... stiff... light Marzocchi Bomber front shocks are responsive

Weaknesses:    Brake levers (Shimano BR M486) are fragile... bend/break easily... brakes are OK, but 'grabby'... SRAM X.7 rear derailleur is sluggish

Bottom Line:
Good solid bike, even on some of the steep, rocky trails here in central Texas. Giant should equip their US XTC1 with Shimano XT (Giant equips their UK/Britain XTC1 full XT... and they add an XTC3 and XTC4 to their hardtail lineup... which is brilliant, since the vast majority of bikes used here are hardtails)

Favorite Trail:   Joe Johnson (Government Canyon)

Purchased At:   RideAway Bike- San A

Similar Products Used:   Specialized StumpJumper

Bike Setup:   Replaced brakes with Shimano XT (BR M775) and derailleur with Shimano XT (RD M772)... will replace TruVativ crank with XT (FC M770)

Submitted by zippinveedub a Weekend Warrior from Roanoke, Va US

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff Frame, Light, Decent Stock Components, Bang for your buck

Weaknesses:    Stock tires(Small Block 8's) are fast on dry hard pack but fail at anything else

Bottom Line:
I really started riding a lot last summer after a few months I realized a 17 inch frame was a little small for my 6'4" frame. So I began searching for a new bike. I knew I wanted a simple fast hardtail. I narrowed it down to the XTC1 and the Rockhopper Disc. After several test rides I picked the Giant. I have began riding much more since then, I've thrown quite a bit at the bike and it keeps begging for more. I did manage to break a chain and I've had several issues with pinch flats but I believe that can be attributed to the small tires I've been running on rather rooty terrain. Overall I've really like the bike its very fast on some nice up and down rolling single track and is great for what I use it for.

Favorite Trail:   Carvins Cove Trails

Purchased At:   Cardinal (LBS)

Similar Products Used:   05 Schwinn Mesa, 08 Rockhopper Disc(Test ride)

Bike Setup:   08 Giant XTC1, Oury Lock On grips, Specialized Saddle, Raceface Bashguard

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2008

Strengths:    Light, fast on the uphills and comes with good components for the price.

Weaknesses:    Seems to have bad front grip on hard surfaces but thats probibly just the huchinson piranas

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike for the price and must be as good as some $3000+ bikes

Favorite Trail:   Wonga park

Similar Products Used:   GT avalanche 2

Bike Setup:   stock except for some easton ea70 monkey bars

Submitted by Trapper a Racer from Wodonga, vic, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2008

Strengths:    Quick, light, responsive, great value for money, extrmely efficient ride with a great race geometry

Weaknesses:    cracked bottom jockey in a muddy race but replaced by warranty and excessive chain wear in very short pediod ( the products that broke are both shimano so no surprise there )

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike which is light (11.5kg) and very fast up hills very responsive bike on the downhills as well although pretty harsh ride on rocky terrain. not really suited to longer enduro style races but awesome for anything else.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Bicycle superstore A

Similar Products Used:   XTC 3, Jamis Dakar Sport, Raceline Enduro

Bike Setup:   stock standard with time atac pedals and Maxis Larsen on front and Crossmax on back (which are awesome)

Submitted by Barry Glasse a Cross Country Rider from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2007

Strengths:    Very light (11.2 kg). Wickedly fast on the uphills. Took 11 minutes off my best time around Karapoti Classic course (22km with some serious uphills).

Weaknesses:    Hutchinson Piranha tires are very light with very little rolling resistance. However the trade-off is that in the loose surface that I ride in the trial can resemble an ice skating rink. Not going to change the tyres yet as I'm in love with the speed!!

Bottom Line:
I'm 46 years old. Weight 85kg. Height 1.76cm. This bike is light & fast on the flat & uphill. There are trade-offs however. Its twitchy, the tyres don't help. My wife on her Giant Trance X2 (FS) kicks my hardtails arse on the downhill's. However I have had a cup of tea waiting for her to catch up on the uphills. Bottom line is I'm glad I bought this bike. It has exceeded my expectations. If you want a fast, value for money hardtail, then buy this bike!

Favorite Trail:   Karapoti

Purchased At:   VIC Cycles Lowe Hutt

Similar Products Used:   Avanti Montari. Avanti Barracuda. Solid bikes but heavy.

Bike Setup:   Out of the box. XT/XTR components. Fox Reba Race fork. Avid Juicy 5 brakes.

Submitted by Sar a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2007

Strengths:    Fantastically light and responsive frame, perfect race geometry allows you to chuck this bike around with ease. An 'Out of the Box' racing XC bike with great equipment supplied. Avid juicy 5's, Deore XT cranks, RockShox Reba race fork, m505 pedals XT running gear etc.....the list goes on and on.

Weaknesses:    None thus far

Bottom Line:
A fast light XC bike with a lifetime warranty on a great frame. Perfect race geometry with wide rise-bar span makes this bike agile and a joy to ride! Would be a good commuter bike with the aid of some "Conti" tires rather than the Hutchi-Piranhas supplied. The perfect bike for anyone who requires good quality equipment coupled with a high quality, light-weight frame and setup. Ride on people, Ride on!! :)

Favorite Trail:   Lysterfield commonwealth games single track

Purchased At:   Lygon St. Cycles, Melbourne, Australia

Similar Products Used:   Trek SLR 8000, Giant XTC 2, Trek SLR 6700, Scott Scale 40, Scott Scale 30, Specialized Stump Jumper

Bike Setup:   Out of box equipment:
-Shimano m505 pedals
-Deore XT cranks and bottom bracket (external bearings)
-Deore XT running gear
-Avid Juicy 5's
-Easton aluminum

Submitted by Scott Laurie a Cross Country Rider from Townsville, QLD, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2007

Strengths:    Nice light bike with great gearing and equipment.

Weaknesses:    Hydraulic disc brakes, I have had so many problems with this bike and the pads coming incontact and adding friction on the discs whilst riding. I had to have them adjusted so that so much to stop this that now when brakes are applied I don't get that instant stop it takes time. This can be hazardous to one's health when riding hills etc.

Bottom Line:
Over all not a bad bike if you like your non competion off road riding. Suitable for any terrian you chose, i ride my on the road more than off.

Favorite Trail:   Paluma

Purchased At:   Townsville

Submitted by mark a Cross Country Rider from austin texas

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2005

Strengths:    super fast, handles great, very light, great package for the money

Weaknesses:    paint chips easily

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for those looking for a fast XC race type ride. By far the nicest hardtail i've ever had, and i have been racing for years. Handles great in tight turns and acclerates out of corners. It also can hold its own on downhills. If you like the hardtail, go and get one if you can still find one.

Favorite Trail:   colorado trail, greenbelt

Purchased At:   1200

Bike Setup:   similar to stock, carbon bar, bar ends, wtb shadow team, avid SL levers

Submitted by Brian Fernandez a Downhiller from Richmond hill

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2005

Strengths:    Very stiff, super manouverable ,great geometry, very forgiving ride

Weaknesses:    Carbon bar would have been sweet.. easy upgrade, other then that nothing! great value

Bottom Line:
Giant produces the most frames in the world for over 20 other bike manufactuers, they have an edge over the whole market to meet price points amazingly.

Favorite Trail:   Don Valley