Giant Sedona XC Hardtail

4.61/5 (33 Reviews)

Giant Sedona

Submitted by Cam a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2017

Strengths:    Lightweight, Deore LX rear dearailleur, adjustable stem angle for handlebars. spacers for headset height adjustment. Deore components. 9 speed. Semi slick maxxis worm drive tires. Nice aesthetic appeal and bronze paintwork.

Weaknesses:    Lockable but non adjustable front fork. A little play in the headset and stem elbow. Very hard seat on LX model.

Bottom Line:
2007 Giant Sedona LX

similar bike to a hybrid but riding on a lightweight MTB frame and 26in wheels. I bought the bike new over 9 years ago. It has done somewhere around 3000 kms. The build quality is high in the LX model. The standard SDG bel air saddle is very hard riding and I have swapped it out for a Rio brand seat. I have removed the headset spacers or riser rings from below the headset to drop it to lowest position on the steering post in order to improve riding position and get more weight over front wheel. I have also added a padded seat cover to lift me slightly higher again. I have added plastic mud guards, a saddle bag, and triangle bag. It looks great. I am around 6'1 tall and ride a large 21in frame size. These minor changes and replacements have made the bike a far more comfortable ride. I took the bike to a shop for a front derailleur tune up as I was having no luck adjusting the high and low screws. This however, was after 9 years of ownership. The bike shifts smoothly now, and at the right speed and timing, is silky smooth. It is probably best to keep the front fork locked out most of the time. There can be a little movement between both the adjustable headset stem and the front fork, but in most circumstances unnoticeable. This could get worse with serious off-road work for which the bike is not designed for. The most efficient power transfer, as always, will be with the fork locked. Despite a second knob on the supplied sun tour sr fork, there was no adjustable dampening effect noticeable. Perhaps this was a minor fault with my fork from new. The LX model is the highest Model Sedona available and back in 2007 had a very nice bronze paint job. The aesthetic of these bikes is kind of nice, looking something like a cross between a downhill bike and a cruiser geometry wise. I am able to hit around 35km/h on the flat but sometimes low 40 (velo8 computer) with a tailwind. The bike doesn't have the geometry or wheels for real road speed but is no chain and ball either. It feels light and fairly responsive for a not so serious model. The semi slick maxxis tires give good grip on most surfaces and still grip well at medium wear. I have replaced one inner tube but not yet a tire. Nice bike overall.

Favorite Trail:   Bottle lake forrest

Duration Product Used:   9 years

Purchased At:   Cycle trading compan

Similar Products Used:   Marin bear valley, gt tequesta.

Bike Setup:   3 x 9 speed

Submitted by Hurstmuscle a Weekend Warrior from Canton,OH USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2011

Strengths:    Comfort
Size

Weaknesses:    Shifting
Gearset

Bottom Line:
I purchased a 2007 Sedona DX that was like new. It was very comfortable with front susp, spring seat, and cruiser-style handlebars. It never shifted perfectly, and it had a grinding/slipping noise while pedaling in higher gears. I had it looked over at 2 different LBS's and even had the chain upgraded in order to solve the problem, but it didn't. The overall quality, especially of the gearset seemed cheap.

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7000

Bike Setup:   Stock 2007 Sedona DX with upgraded Shimano Chain

Submitted by Skipper T a Weekend Warrior from Glenarm, IL

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, tall, well set up.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike after riding my old Huffy for about 20 years (off and on). Just started seriously cycling about 4 months ago and the old steel horse was just to heavy. So I bought a Giant Sedona DX. Wow what a great ride. She is faster and smoother than anything else I have ridden. I can keep up with my wife on her Trek now. We ride 7 miles every morning for fitness and ride long trails and single tracks on weekends. I am so comfortable on this bike that I no longer look forward to the ride ending. I plan to add a rack and panniers to carry snacks and gear and such, just to trick it out. I have discovered the bike has a higher center of gravity than my old one, but a few rides compensated for that and I am now very comfortable on the road, on a path or single track. This will be my last bike as it is awesome!! I would recommend this bike to anyone who is looking for an all around great ride, no, it is not a specialized trail rider or street machine, but with the various types of riding we do it is an outstanding choice. I would greatly recommend this to anyone looking for overall value and a bike that is just a butt load of fun to ride.

Favorite Trail:   Several

Purchased At:   Wheelfast Of Chatham

Similar Products Used:   Huffy 21 speed mono shock mountain type bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock, I did have the mountain bike tires from my old bike put on the bike as I didn't care for the stock tires that came with it.

Submitted by volvo245ls a Cross Country Rider from Lakewood, WA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2010

Strengths:    I have just purchased my second Giant Sedona 2days ago.
My first was a 9 year old bike I bought from my sister, since her husband wasn't riding it.
It replaced a German Fischer dual suspension that was stolen from me.
While the medium frame was too small for me, I was very impressed by the construction quality and the precision of its function, especially the gearshifts.

Weaknesses:    The main thing is that at 6'5" and 245 lbs., I was too much for the single wall tires, especially the rear. It quickly warped so badly it could only be temporarily trued.
The front adjustable handlebr stem creaked. The lack of a front suspension made it somehwat tiring and inefficient to ride.

Bottom Line:
The new bike is amazing!! Having the right size frame (XL) makes all the difference in terms of pedalling efficiency and general comfort.
The double wall wheels feel strong as a vault. The comfort seat and the ergonomic handlebar grips feel fantastic. And the twist grip shifting is very precise.
For my age and riding style, I can't imagine that I'll ever need anything more than this bike ever.
Was very tempted to get an all-mountain Giant for only $200 more.
It had disc brakes, a better fork and the same beautiful brushed aluminum finish as my beloved stolen Fischer. But at a reasonably fit 62 years old, I couldn't imagine doing anything that would warrant more bike than this Sedona!
I bike and bus to work daily. I am now skipping one of the two buses on the commute so I can ride my bike instead!

Favorite Trail:   Fort Lewis

Purchased At:   Bike Tech

Similar Products Used:   2007 Fischer from Germany Dual Suspension. New Schwinn dual-suspension for less money at Target that was much heavier despite the aluminum frame, and had the most unimpressive skinny little welds.

Bike Setup:   The new bike purchased 2 days ago is completely stock. I do have a RockShox Tora 302 that I originally bought to upgrade the Fischer, tha I am thinking about using in place of the Suntour that came standard. Would appreciate any feedback from other readers!

Submitted by Megan a Cross Country Rider from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight but solid frame; suspension absorbs anything; seatpost has amazing shock absorber and the seat itself is far more comfortable than I would ever have expected (I've never gotten sore even on half-day rides).

Weaknesses:    Sometimes I have a little trouble with the gear shift (front especially) but a few minor adjustments significantly decreased the problem. I also found the stock handlebar grips very uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike for the money. I don't know how I got so lucky to find one brand new for so cheap (I bought a 2007 model in September 2007). They shop was about to get the next year's model in so he gave me a great deal. I use it mostly on unpaved trails (anywhere from packed dirt to single track mountain trails heavy with roots and rocks), but also occasionally take it out on a paved trail to pull the baby trailer. Works great on all terrain. I hope this bike lasts the rest of my life, and I don't doubt that it will! Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Battle Road Trail

Purchased At:   Hampshire Bike Excha

Bike Setup:   Replaced high-rise handlebar with a Nashbar flat handlebar, added bar ends, and replaced the grips to something more ergonomic.

Submitted by R.A. a Weekend Warrior from Bacolod, Philippines

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, durable frame. Good components. Very fast. Going down a grade, I can catch up to people pedaling while I keep free wheeling.

Weaknesses:    Does not look as "Cool" as new frames. Feels a bit heavy sometimes (Or maybe thats me. Hmmm...)

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for 17 years. Aside from a few scratches, the frame is still good and components are still working. I just cleaned it a few days back and it still shines. After reading the other reviews, I don't think I will be letting go of the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Alangilan/Arceo route

Purchased At:   Gift

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Changed the Fork to a Suspension. Had to get a new handle bar to use the suspension. Upgraded brakes to V type. Changed tires and cables. Everything else is stock.

Submitted by cnnball a Weekend Warrior from Marin County, CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2009

Strengths:    Bulletproof frame. Solid stock components. Excellent geometry. Can't say enough good things about it.

Weaknesses:    It's a generalist - good all around stock setup, but if you're looking for something more specific, targeted component upgrades are a must.

Bottom Line:
I've owned this bike since buying it new in 1993. Thousands of miles later and I've only had to replace the tubes and tires. Despite its old school weight, it cruises fast on pavement and handles trails and single track comfortably.

I've been looking to upgrade to a new bike lately, and have only found the same comfort level right out the gate on another Giant... sentimentality or purely a quality/comfort level issue - your guess is as good as mine.

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Brendan Urie a Weekend Warrior from CA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2009

Strengths:    good shocks, comfortable, fast

Bottom Line:
One of the best, most comfortable bikes I have ever ridden.

Submitted by sedonarevur a Weekend Warrior from milton,fl,usa

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2009

Strengths:    nice smooth ride, good front braking nice style

Weaknesses:    gears dont always shift smooth, brake wear is more evident on the rear brakes, but that is expected after 3 years i guess

Bottom Line:
very nice bike for those willing to pay 300

Favorite Trail:   idk

Purchased At:   truly spokin

Similar Products Used:   mongoose

Bike Setup:   cool

Submitted by Ed Fairman a Weekend Warrior from Bristol England

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2008

Strengths:    The frames durability is good. Not too heavy either.

Weaknesses:    Zoakes forks collapsed. This could have been because a previous owner had fitted a travel upgrade.
Smoke and dart tyres lethal on wet roads (but good on general trail riding).

Bottom Line:
Baught this bike second hand on holiday in Oz for about A$400 as it looked about the best value for money for a "proper mtb".
I think its about 1995 build and its been great bike. Well able to take abuse. The frame has taken a couple of dents and the paintwork is holding up well.
I'm hoping to be burried on it when I die.
Thanks to all who have bothered to rate this truly classic bike.

Favorite Trail:   Dartmoor

Purchased At:   Crescent Head Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Spesh Hardrock cromo.

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to LX where components wore out. Manitou Spyder '97 forks replaced Zoakes. Panaracer Fire XC Pro tyres.(suit UK conditions better)

Submitted by tbaier a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2008

Strengths:    Strength.

Bottom Line:
I bought mine in the late 80s (or maybe it was '90) as an intro to mountain biking and promptly thrashed the heck out of it. There is no reason that this bike should still be riding like it does - it cannot be killed.

Rock solid frame. Araya rims don't look like much but they've been fine. I've never touched the BB, hubs or rings. The headset only once or twice. Its pretty much a beater at this point but it requires so little maintenance that there's no point in retiring it. I dust it off every couple of years for a few rides and don't think about adjusting a thing before I head out.

So maybe the geometry is not the best, and the brakes suck, but this is really a case of "they don't build 'em like they used to."

Favorite Trail:   That one

Purchased At:   Horizon Cycles

Bike Setup:   Now with skinny tires.

Submitted by Greyson a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2008

Strengths:    This Bike in my opinion is indestructible. I bought it In 1992 and I've never had a problem with it. On road or off. Its been run over by cars,And crashed quite a few times and its still going strong. Only had to replace the front wheel when it was run over. I started using it off road recently and It still a great ride.

Weaknesses:    Havent found any yet.

Bottom Line:
A few people tell me that I should upgrade to a newer model. Dont know if I should, This Bike is awesome.

Favorite Trail:   Still Looking

Purchased At:   Bayridge Bicycle,Bro

Similar Products Used:   None.

Submitted by GURR a Weekend Warrior from minnesota

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought my ATX new in 1992. Flawless performance. Some off roading. mostly paved trails in SE MN. I recently handed it down to my son for him to enjoy!

Purchased At:   rochester, mn

Submitted by Alistair Turk a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2008

Strengths:    It is funny reading these reviews as most of them reflect my experiences. I bought mine in 1997 (11 years old), and rode it across Europe and the Middle East in 1998. 8 years later, I rode across the Tibetan Plateau and the only parts that were different were the tires, chain, and brake pads. The frame has 4 dents from shipping, yet it is straight and strong. I too, painted it in black (I also wrapped it in cling-wrap and black duct-tape... thus it is pristine). However after, 10 years, I retired the frame for nostalgic sake (it is hanging in my office).

Weaknesses:    I am not so sure about the new 2008 model... it looks more like a hybrid. I want to stick with product loyalty... so we'll see how the new generation holds up after a few modifications.

Bottom Line:
BEST BIKE EVER !!!

Purchased At:   Some Bike shop in downtown Vancouver

Bike Setup:   1997 - added front and rear racks - added side handlebars

Submitted by Rick Cooper a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2008

Strengths:    Comfortable, durable, and indestructible. My riding buddy has gone through three bikes in the time I have had my Sedona. It freewheels faster than any other bike on a smooth grade, and no matter how heavy going the trail, it is responsive and always break-down free, comfortable and stable. I've had it for so long I can't remember. 15 years?

Bottom Line:
Can't justify replacing it. It will outlast me.

Purchased At:   so long ago I forget