Giant Rincon XC Hardtail

4.06/5 (109 Reviews)

With a lightweight, durable ALUXX aluminum frame built to maximize a 100-millimeter suspension fork, Rincon is ready to explore the path less traveled. Dependable components, including sturdy disc brakes, make it a fun and reliable adventure companion.

• SR XCM 100mm suspension fork
  • 24-Speed Shimano trigger shifting, Shimano Alivio rear derailleur
  • Tektro mechanical disc brakes,
  • Giant XC Alloy rim/Formula disc hub, wheelset

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Grease Monkey a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2013

Strengths:    Strong Frame, Price, Liked the geometry, Decent shifting

Weaknesses:    Weight - it's a bit heavy

Bottom Line:
    I got the 2012 Giant Rincon (not disc brake model)

Overall This bike gives you a nice bang for your buck. Its a reasonably priced 26er hardtail entry level bike with decent components and it feels comfortable, performs nicely on & off trail and is tough as nails... already survived a nasty spill without a scratch.

Submitted by Alex Armanetti a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2013

Strengths:    Really strong frame. The bike descends really well (and I ride with guys with DH bikes) and climbs pretty good.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy and the pedals aren't great. Also the derailleur hanger isn't 100%.

Bottom Line:
    I got this as my first mountain bike and have so far really enjoyed it. I've broken quite a few derailleur hangers which could be due to the rear derailleur. I've done a few big jumps on it and a couple moderate drops. I have done everything from XC races to DH shuttling and the bike has been nothing but impressive. Not the best bike but I would recommend it for anyone getting into the sport.

Favorite Trail:   Gateway loop, Sunrise, Geronimo, and Holbert

Duration Product Used:   About 2-3 years.

Purchased At:   Arizona Outback Adve

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for wheels, tires, grips, and rear derailleur.

Submitted by chris a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2013

Strengths:    Frame

Weaknesses:    Everything else on the bike

Bottom Line:
    I purchased the bike because it was a light strong frame. Everything else on the bike was upgraded. The deruillers that came on it are junk. The wheel set was heavy and also junk. The shifters brakes ....ok everything on it was junk. After replaing everything from the headset to the bottom bracket it is a pretty nice frame.

Duration Product Used:   10 years

Purchased At:   recyclist in Kaukana

Similar Products Used:   TREK 4400 CANNONDALE CAD3 AND CAD2 TREK 830

Bike Setup:   EASTON EA90 bar, stem, seatpost, sram xo front and rear deralliur, sram xo shift pods. Shimano xt brakes and levers. Mavic crossmax wheelset. Fsa skewers, headset and seatpost collor. Bontrager racelite crankset and shimano bb. Manitou scarib fork and selle flight xo saddel

Submitted by Rootss a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2012

Strengths:    Great bike if you are on a budget. Has a great platform to place upgrades on. Wheels are rugged and have very little warping issues. Feels great.

Weaknesses:    Have to remember this buke come with lower side of mid range parts. Rear wheel is heavy. Crank is weak

Bottom Line:
    I love this bike. Ride is strong and balance is perfect. Keep in mind to upgrade the parts after you break them. Go to Deore crank hollow tech. This bike is ready to rock straight of the rack. Best bike I have rode for sandy trails

Favorite Trail:   U will never know...

Duration Product Used:   3 years

Purchased At:   Finish Line (Bakersf

Similar Products Used:   Trek wahoo 29er (hate)

Bike Setup:   Deore crank, Slx rear derailleur, MTB Wolverine tires, Avid BB5 brakes, Kore handlebars including lock ons,

Submitted by iliketexmex a Weekend Warrior from Lewis Center, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2012

Strengths:    The value. I can ride reasonably hard and still not destroy it. I have put a ton of trail miles on it and still have much of the original equipment.

Weaknesses:    The brakes are not the best.

Bottom Line:
    I would buy one again. There was nothing better equipped for the money, and for the riding I do it is perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Alum Creek

Purchased At:   The Bike Route, Tole

Submitted by the other dude a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2011

Strengths:    Durable. Very Very durable.
    Lifetime warranty on the frame (not needed yet)
    Cheap
    Amazing rims (in strength, not sure how light)

Weaknesses:    Fork Rock Shox Dart one - did not have lockout and after a while (dunno when) it froze - so now it is stuck and acts like a non-suspension fork.
    Pretty heavy
    It likes to be serviced every 500km or so
    Seat post kept on sliding in the clamp - had to add some cardboard around the seat post to make it stay.

Bottom Line:
    I have used this bike since 2006. I did not ride it offroad much (only a handful of times). It was used almost exclusively for commuting.
    I used this bicycle mainly on the roads in Brisbane, Australia. For over 6000km (since 2007 till 2010) I have only changed 2 sets of brake pads - in 2010 I changed the casette and the chain.
    It is a reliable, hard-working horse. I fell of it pretty hard but it had no problem - jumped back on. I did not take care of it - treated it like it is some comsumable good that I'll throw away if it fails - but it didn't fail. When I was riding it to work (at least 15km/day) I used to take it for a service every 3 months - after the service, it rode like a dream.
    I have used it to do a 100km ride (Brisbane to Gold Coast) - with absolutely no issues - it went pretty fast. Although unfit, I averaged 32km/h for the first 40 km (drafting a lot) and 3h 20 min for the entire ride.
    I occasionally used a racer bike to do my commute to work and the difference (for 7km each way) between these two bikes was around 1 minute or so - not that obvious.
    The seat is comfortable (not sure what brand) and although crashed and has some foam sticking out, still holds up.
    I abused the brakes as much as I could (was trying to see if the discs can turn red at one point) but they are still working fine. Changed the pads a couple of times though. The brake pads are bigger than the pads in my new Avalanche Tektro brakes and the Tektros squeak really loud - whereas the Shimanos on the Rincon are quiet.
    The rims are incredible - once at work I got my wheel stuch under a large down-sliding garage rolling door (it was made of VERY thick steel). As the door came on the wheel, I thought: that's it. Instead, the sliding door got bent (this is no joke) and snapped off the rails (there was a 2kw electric motor driving that door via a gearing system). Luckily I didn;t get in trouble for that - the same door damaged the roofs of cars before. I don't know how much the rims weigh (they are double-walled) but I am keeping those babies. The front wheel had absolutely no damage, not even in need of truing!
    Now for the bad.
    The rock shock fork did not have a lockout and at some point it froze. As in, it does not slide anymore. I only found that out when i took it on some trails and realised that I have no suspension. As I used it mainly as a commuter, that was not such a bad news.
    The seat post slides down now - either the clamp is not working well or the post has some problem. Fixed it by wedging some thick paper around the post. Before wedging the paper I tightened the clamp so hard that I broke the lever.
    The bike is pretty heavy but then again... it doesn't cost much.
    The paint has some chips and marks however, considering how it was treated, i'm surprised there aren't more.
    Overall value: it's a great bike for commuting at least. Can't say about mountainbiking ability as I didn't use it for that. While looking now at entry-level bikes, I have a very strong feeling that the components and the quality of my Rincon is higher than what is currently the standard.
    It doesn't get an overall rating of 5 chilis because of the fork and seatpost issues, but for the money, it's a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   roads

Purchased At:   Tom Wallas Cycles, L

Similar Products Used:   Wheeler Titanium, GT Avalanche 3.0 (MTB)
    Cannondale System Six (road)

Bike Setup:   Stock, only with Geax StreetRunnner tires

Submitted by mtbridder a Weekend Warrior from cold spring mn

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2011

Strengths:    light weight, shifting is amazing!

Weaknesses:    brakes are ok, shocks are bad (my fork seals came undone after 1 week of ridding and had to get them replaced after mud got into the forks).

Bottom Line:
    I think its a great bike to learn on for there first time downhill riding, but i would reccomend this bike :D

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Hood

Purchased At:   Granite City

Similar Products Used:   redline bmx bike

Submitted by ChuckyNYC a Weekend Warrior from Brooklyn, NY

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2011

Strengths:    I have 2 09' Rincon's one is size Small, the other is size Large. Both bike frames are rock solid, have been riding the small one everyday for over 10 months doing urban, single tracks and DJ. Takes everything you throw at it and asks for some more!
    Frame does not flex, Quality welds, geometry, and wheels that come with the bike are decent.

Weaknesses:    -Heavy
    -Comes with crappy components.
    (Broke bottom bracket, rear hub, seatpost after +/-6 months)

Bottom Line:
    Bottom line is, although i have upgraded all of the components since i purchased the bike it has been nothing but good to me. My bike has been abused everyday which is why i broke most of the original components!
    Get it! Ride it till it breaks and than just upgrade it! Its worth keeping around.

Favorite Trail:   The Goat!

Bike Setup:   2001 Marzocci Z5 fork, Cane Creek S3 Headset, Thomson seatpost, Sun Ringle Equalizer wheelset with Disc Jokey hubs, Shimano XT shifter, Shimano Hyperglide HG cassetee. Truvativ Hussefelt crank arms with Truvativ gigapipe BB, Crankbros 50/50 pedals, Kenda Nevegal 2.1 tires.

Submitted by GIANT-FANATIC#5 a Weekend Warrior from Usa

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2011

Strengths:    This bike is great! Good fork, and rides nice.

Weaknesses:    Maybe paint...but thats not that huge of a big deal.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is great for a "medium level rider!!!

Favorite Trail:   layer

Purchased At:   Hutches

Similar Products Used:   Giant Ricon 07

Submitted by the.rebot a Weekend Warrior from Kansas City, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2010

Strengths:    Great geometry, strong frame. Great all around bike to learn and have fun on.

Weaknesses:    forks aren't the best (but not broken yet) This bike isn't for anyone who wants to show off or is a weight weenie.

Bottom Line:
    Great beginner/weekend warrior bike - stock components aren't the best, but ride 'em 'till ya break 'em. This bike has really let me have so much fun this summer.

Favorite Trail:   Will's Wanderer

Purchased At:   River Market Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Trek 820

Bike Setup:   Crankbros 50/50xx pedals, lock on iodine grips.Shimano LX 852 cranks (broke stock ones), Gorilla tubeless conversion.

Submitted by rage675 a Cross Country Rider from Buffalo, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2010

Strengths:    Bang for the buck, durability, disc brakes are a plus for wet riding.

Weaknesses:    Weight, pedals (get rid of them immediately)

Bottom Line:
    I bought this with the expectation I'd lose a few pounds and get active. A year later, I'm now into road bikes, but the Rincon Street 2009 is were it all began. It is certainly heavy, in the 30 pound range, plus the accessories I have on. The medium frame was strong enough to hold me at 5'10", 330 lbs. last year. Now, I currently am around 205 and I haven't noticed any frame integrity issues, especially after two bad crashes. I can comfortably get this going at around 16 mph average speed on mostly flats and slight grades here in Buffalo, topping out at nearly 30 mph maximum speeds on good days. The Kenda K-Rad tires that are stock for the Rincon Street are better for road riding or commuting which has been advantageous in my case.

I love this MTB, I won't be riding it as much now that I purchased a road bike, because I'm looking for distance, and this (or any MTB for that matter) isn't ideal for distance rides. I can do 40-50 miles on this no problem, but after that, I'm just about spent.

Perfect MTB for beginners and especially those on a budget.

Purchased At:   Shickluna Bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock, except Shimano M324 clipless pedals

Submitted by GSXRScott a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2010

Strengths:    Price, Frame and Component Strength/Durability, Climbing Ability.

Weaknesses:    Very Heavy compared to higher end bikes.

Bottom Line:
    This is an awsome bike for the money. This bike is much much heavier than some of the higher end Giants and Fishers that my trail mates ride but then again I only paid $225.00 for the thing as compared to my buddies Specialize FSR that he paid over a grand for used.

Favorite Trail:   Swope Park