Giant Rainier XC Hardtail

- Easton handlebar/stem/seatpost
- WTB saddle

Weaknesses:    - Hayes Sole XC brakes
- Starting with the 2006 model and newer, this bike went downhill

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2005 model which IMO, was the best Rainier made by Giant. For some reason, Giant cheapened the bike in 2006 with a redesigned frame, crappier no name components and mechanical brakes instead of hydraulic. The 2006 was also cheaper by $150 (2005 retail was $850) but the 2005 was worth the extra $150 considering what you got for it like Easton handlebar/stem vs. no name crap. Bike is strong and I've taken it on some rough trails.
The weakest link on this bike is probably the Hayes Sole XC brakes. The stock brake pads would squeal like crazy and didn't have much feel to them but I did buy some better pads which helped a bit. Still better then the BB5's that came on the 2006, but probably the first thing you may want to replace. Outside of that, a very solid and capable bike.

Submitted by D Hall a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2013

Strengths:    Good Component Package, Durability, Looks, comfort. Versatile, equally good for single track or paved greenways.

Weaknesses:    A Little Heavy, stock tires are great for single track, but a little soft and aggressive tread for paved greenway trails.

Bottom Line:
Bought my Rainier used on Craig's list 6 months ago to get back into greenway and trail riding. I was looking for a good used bike for mostly paved/packed gravel riding on greenway trails with an occasional single track ride. Put just over 1,000 miles on it since. This bike is a durable, comfortable,nice looking bike. I've had no issues whatsoever on a wide variety of trail riding. The only thing I changed were the stock tires which were great for muddy/rough single track, but rubber is a little soft and tread a little aggressive for the typical greenway trails I ride. I put slick tires on and now it's perfect for the kind of riding I do including an occasional single track (as long as the trail is dry). Can't think of anything else I would change.

Favorite Trail:   Greenway Trails

Purchased At:   Craigs List

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by rogo74 a Cross Country Rider from Mexico

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2011

Strengths:    Reliable, confortable, very stable going downhill.

Weaknesses:    hard to maintain the front wheel on the ground on steep climbs.

Bottom Line:
I would recomend this bike as a good option for starting bikers.

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Bike Setup:   Avid mechanical disc brakes, LX drivetrain.

Submitted by goodvalley888 a Cross Country Rider from Philippines

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2011

Bottom Line:
the best cross country ride...

Favorite Trail:   rough road

Purchased At:   my friend

Submitted by Benoit Tordeurs a Cross Country Rider from Abu Dhabi

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2011

Strengths:    Speed

Bottom Line:
VERY GOOD BIKE

Favorite Trail:   Desert

Submitted by walter gumulak a Weekend Warrior from bethlehem,pa.u.s.a.

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2011

Strengths:    A lot of bike for the cash.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this bike for years and love it. over this winter i tore it down and replace everything but the seat post. I plan on using it mostly on the north east rail trails for long camping trips this summer.

Favorite Trail:   round valley

Purchased At:   saucon valley cycles

Similar Products Used:   1992 trek 7000, rock shox 20 etc.

Bike Setup:   xt shifters with hoods removed fo more handle bar space.xt derailleurs and hubs. Jagwire cables. Mavic 36 spoke xm719 disk rims. 2010 avid bb7 calipers. sid race fork with remote lock out. lx holow teck crank with shimano 520 pedals. sram 990 11/34 casset. 970 sram chain. bontrager rear rack. old man mountain front rack. continental town and country tires, brooks b17 saddle. adjustable stem with butterfly handlebars.

Submitted by Adam M a Weekend Warrior from Hill Country, TX USA

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2010

Strengths:    Hayes brakes, fork, frame

Weaknesses:    No complaints

Bottom Line:
This is my first MTB. I read through all the other reviews and decided this was too good an offer to pass up. I have been very pleased with it, but have made some upgrades. I have left the stock hydraulic brakes which are great minus some small adjustment issues. I can't think of anything I would replace this bike with.

Favorite Trail:   Palo Duro Canyon

Similar Products Used:   NA

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi EXR, Deore XT derailleurs and shifters, Race Face DH crank, Panaracer Fire XC Pro, Mavic 321, Hope and Halo hubs, ODI grips

Submitted by Alex K. a Cross Country Rider from Ukraine

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2009

Strengths:    The best value for money. Great brakes!

Weaknesses:    Front derailleur (Shimano C050). I think Deore would be better solution.

Bottom Line:
I bought it a week ago and i like it very much! It's hard to find a bike with such components for such money. The frame is very good and brakes are just great. I'm only thinking about upgrading cassette and derailleurs after some time.

Bike Setup:   Stock Rainier Disc 09. I'm going to upgrade it in the end of this season.

Submitted by Max GT + MR a Cross Country Rider from Northumberland, UK

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2009

Strengths:    2008 Rainier Disc
Everything. Suntour X.C.M 100mm Fork - Excelent
Giant MPH Hydraulic Brakes - Superb
Shimano Alvio RapidFire - Also superb
Alex CR18 26" Rims - Good
Kenda Tyres - Great

Weaknesses:    Only Gripe with This Bike is the Chain Guard which came off after 1 day, But That doesn't matter really

Bottom Line:
Everything is Exquisite

Great For Flattish trail riders, But also Good for Uphill and Downhill tracks. Both Genders

Favorite Trail:   Kielder Water

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop, Hexha

Similar Products Used:   Previous Giant GRS FS, Mates Commencal Normal and others

Bike Setup:   Shop Stock. Added Cat-Eye Lights

Submitted by Barkleyfan a Cross Country Rider from Cedar Rapids

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2008

Strengths:    component mix/price is hard to beat
sturdy enough for a clyde, nimble enough for XC

Weaknesses:    Might be size, but my 19" had a problem pulling the front up on climbs, especially after I converted the Axel to 100mm
Manitou Axel is NOT a very good fork

Bottom Line:
I hate the quick wear of the Hutchinson Mosquitos. But those tires handle anything (except pavement) flawlessly. They stick to and shed mud better than some DH tires. And they are light. So light that the Slime tubes weren't even noticed, except for the fact that I've never flatted these tires in 5 years. I weigh 220, and got up to 249, and this bike handled it all. The Deore/LX drivetran is superb, the BB7's are as well. Front end came up on climbs, especially after I went to 100 mm travel, but inverting the stem settles that down, and made the whole bike more nimble in the twisties. The Fire X cranks and ISIS bottom bracket seem sturdy enough, altho I am getting a clunk from down there now, after 5 years of punishment from a clyde like me.

I give 4 chilis for overall because of the WEAK fork, and 5 for value. Even with the lame fork, it's still a bargain.

Favorite Trail:   Shirley Meadows, Ca

Purchased At:   http://finishlinebik

Similar Products Used:   too many to list

Bike Setup:   stock 2003 Giant Rainier. Bikepedia.com has an accurate spec writeup

Submitted by gmrv4 a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City Missouri

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2008

Strengths:    Great components for the price. I pulled the reflectors off and have done nothing but lube the chain for the last year of riding. Bike has been bullet proof.

Weaknesses:    None so far. Not available in 2008.

Bottom Line:
Great value for the money. The bike and components have been flawless. If Giant would include a bottle of chain lube with the purchase you would need nothing but a trail to enjoy this bike. Since I got laid off from my job I have been on this bike at least 5-6 days a week, so this bike has a ton of trail miles on it.

Favorite Trail:   Landahl Park

Purchased At:   Turner Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   First hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Chrisp a Weekend Warrior from NZ

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2008

Strengths:    Comfort, and reliabilityn as far as I can see

Weaknesses:    product ceased 2008!

Bottom Line:
Comfort not speed, but quite a good turn when pushed!

Favorite Trail:   Redwood Grove

Purchased At:   trademe

Similar Products Used:   dahon, sinclair

Bike Setup:   sram 7spd derailleur, 3spd hub

Submitted by Don Grantonic a Cross Country Rider from New Smyrna Beach, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2008

Strengths:    Frame Geometry, Avid Disc Brakes & Levers, Marzocchi EXR Forks, Kenda Blue Groove/Nevagal Tires

Weaknesses:    Cheap spokes - 5 rusted and fell out within first year of owning bike, cheap-ass pedals - don't grip worth a s**t and make hamburger out of your shins

Bottom Line:
Just like the Iguana this is another great bike. I had to buy this bike to replace my Giant Iguana, because some piece of s**t homeless bum, who chose that lifestyle out of pure laziness, decided he was entitled to my bike more than I was - that's life at the beach, if it's not bolted down some loser will steal it. But anyway my Ranier is guarded by Smith and Wesson now. I like the new shape of the frame, it kinda has a bit of a rugged look. I used to ride the bike alot around the beach area where I live, but when the yankee snowbirds come down during the Winter it gets quite dangerous to ride, so I pretty much just ride off-road these days, but that's the only way to ride when it gets down to it, and what a great off-road bike.

Favorite Trail:   Snow Hill Road

Purchased At:   Loco Motion, Winter Park, FL

Similar Products Used:   Kona Fire Mountain, Klein Pulse Comp, Giant Iguana

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi EXR Forks (100mm Travel), Kenda Blue Groove/Nevagal Tires, Avid BB5 Mech Disc Brakes, TruVativ ISO Flow Cranks, WTB Speed V saddle

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Belmont

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2008

Strengths:    2007 Ranier - Great XC bike. Giant makes a great frame. WTB speed 5 saddle is very comfortable. Had to get the thudbuster! Kenda Blue Groove tires rock for my home track. Plenty of grip on the climbs over roots and rocks. Shimano Deore front and rear derailers work great. Avid shifters are good.

Weaknesses:    SRAM rear cassette bent from stick getting wedged in it within the first month. Replaced with Shimano. Shifts much smoother now. Avid BB5 brakes take too break in. I have to continually adjust brakes after each ride. Thinking of replacing with Hayes brakes.

Bottom Line:
Riding at the White Water Center along the Catawba river takes top notch equipment. I had to take my old Schwinn in for adjustments about every month. I was finally convenced to spend the money and buy a quality XC bike. Giant exceeded my expectations! I have logged nearly 700 miles in the last year and the bike has held up great. Only two trips to the shop, 1 for rear cassette damage and 1 for routine tune up. Too bad the Rainer is not availabe for 2008. Upgrade the seatpost to a Cane Creek Thudbuster. You won't be sorry!

Favorite Trail:   USNWC All Trails