Giant Boulder XC Hardtail

3.93/5 (67 Reviews)

A longtime favorite for its comfort and off-road versatility, Boulder is equally at home on a cruise through neighborhood streets or a weekend escape into the woods. With a suspension fork, durable steel frame and off-road-ready components, Boulder offers all the essentials for off-road explorations.
  • SR Suntour XCT V3 suspension fork
  • Shimano Tourney 7-speed gearing
  • Alloy rims
  • Color: Red

Submitted by Dallas

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2013

Strengths:    Fast, Good for any thing I need it for.

Weaknesses:    It didnt cost $1,000,000

Bottom Line:
After my family and my fiance telling me I needed to seek help for trying to buy a bike over $1,000 I went to my buddy who has a bike shop and picked up this bike after riding it and a FS. First off no the bike doesnt cost alot and so people think its not good. I dont know if its because I am a bull rider and home builder and have good balance and can take some hits or because this bike is really great. I think its the bike though. No problem on the trail keeping up with the Jones over any thing I came up on. Oh and guess what it didnt hardly cost a thing go figure. I used to wear Oakley and Gims but my fiance showed me cheap shades do the same thing. Its not what the boy paid for it its how the man rides it.

Submitted by JGeiger a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2012

Strengths:    Great for the price, street riding, easy trail riding

Weaknesses:    cheap stock tires and tubes, cheap pedals, derailer, front gears

Bottom Line:
Within my first week of purchasing this bike i got 20 holes in the tubes from regular street riding. Not even riding through glass or thorns, just on the street. This is due to the thin cheap inner tubes and the thin tires that came with the bike. I then madse an upgrade to slime filled tires to solve that problem. Another problem with this bike is that the chain seems to come off of the front gear almost every ride. When shifting to the highest gear of 7, the bike tends to take a long time to shift to that gear, sometimes 5 min. Now after having the bike for almost a year, one of the pedals cracked from simple uphill riding. The bike would be good for new bicyclists who ride primarily on well maintained trails and roads.

Duration Product Used:   less than one year

Purchased At:   Competitive Edge Cyc

Submitted by codeene a Weekend Warrior from nsw, aus

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2012

Strengths:    Good value. Good starting bike

Weaknesses:    Number of weakness become apparent when hitting difficult, harder terrain and longer cross country rides. Unresponsive braking and turning. Jarring. Heavy. Gear reliability issues.

Bottom Line:
Note that this if for an older model and some of the components have changed on the new models. This bike is great on light terrain and is a bargain for light recreational use. Once you start riding on harder downhill, rocky/bumpy terrain rides and longer cross country rides there's some things to be aware of. The brakes have been reliable with no issue although they are sluggish. For downhill/tighter trails you might consider changing tires for better grip and braking grip so you don't lose traction. The handlebar set up is slow to respond for downhill (not sure how this works but I changed the handlebars to a FSA bar with a lower sweep and removed a spacer and found the steering improved noticeably for tight turns). The seat post (single bolt) is problematic. It doesn't hold the seat if you're on long rides in bumpy terrain. The shoxs work well enough on small drops/tree roots (can't comment on anything larger) but the front shox/handlebar/grip combination transfers the impact straight to the rider. Again this becomes an issue for longer rides over rocky terrain with continuous jarring. There is no smooth ride and between the jarring and weight the ride can become exhausting hours in. The gears have not been reliable. The front derailer has needed tuning with (1) skipping or not dropping into gears and (2) should you increase the width of your rear tire expect a lot of hassles with your chain rubbing. This is a good value bike for light recreational use. I would not buy this if you plan to get into biking more regularly, for downhill, or long cross country rides.

Favorite Trail:   glenrock, newcastle

Bike Setup:   Note. This is the older Boulder 2008 Disc model. Size 21 inch. Suntour XTC shox. Shimano Cable disc brakes. Shimano 24 speed.

Submitted by reeceo21 a Downhiller from dubbo

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2011

Strengths:    Good quality built frame, brakes have stood up to nearly everything. I have put this bike through nearly every test and it has done its job.

Weaknesses:    Rear derailleur doesn't cope with hard downhill riding or hard riding in general, front fork suspension isn't the best, crank tends to give out after a while.

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the price. Great for simple riding around town and abit of cross country not really a bike for the pro bike rider. I have had alot of fun on this bike and its still going after 3 years of hard riding so i would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a decent bike without that huge price tag.

Favorite Trail:   Select a State

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   mongoose switchback, trek 3500

Bike Setup:   Standard except tyres

Submitted by James Ginn a Racer from Lakefield,Quebec,Canada

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2011

Strengths:    Incredible durability of parts for this price range. The only problem after almost 3000 miles of tough hill riding was a snapped gear cable.

Weaknesses:    I havent found any although it is a bit heavy like all steel frame bikes.

Bottom Line:
Great entry level bike that is really dependable. Its built like a tank and seems near indestructable. The ride is smooth and non tiring even over long distances. I highly recommend it for great performance at a reasonable price.

Purchased At:   Ateliers du Sport

Similar Products Used:   None.

Submitted by jefft03 a Weekend Warrior from Calhoun, Ga.

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2011

Strengths:    Great beginner bike. I found the bike to be very durable. tires hold to the trial well. Gears change well. Crashed I don't know how many times.

Weaknesses:    hard tail beat my back to death...but i do have some back problems. In the beginning had some chain problems..not staying on..adjustment took care of that.

Bottom Line:
If your wanting a cheap, tough, easy to ride bike to try out mtn biking and don't have a-lot of money to spend...i recommend this bike...great for a college student on campus for riding to class. This bike lasted me for over 5 years just pounding it.

Favorite Trail:   Raisen Wood & Booker T

Purchased At:   Roswell Bikes

Similar Products Used:   demo some Cannondale hard tails

Bike Setup:   standard setup.

Submitted by KonaKiller a Weekend Warrior from Spokane, WA

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2011

Strengths:    Great frame, little heavy. But not ONE break.

Weaknesses:    Derailleurs sometimes go out of wack, the chain is very weak also.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price, I love it. It's the best bike I've ever owned, I recommend it to everyone.

Favorite Trail:   Boondocks (Manmade)

Purchased At:   Flagstaff Cycle

Bike Setup:   Simple/Hardtail

Submitted by Grundig77 a Weekend Warrior from Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2011

Strengths:    Easy Gear Change, Looks Good

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable seat, smelly

Bottom Line:
None, really.

Favorite Trail:   Super Duper Spinny Looper near Billville

Purchased At:   Georges Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Mountain

Bike Setup:   Simple

Submitted by Seth a Cross Country Rider from Palm Harbor, FL

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2010

Strengths:    The frame is strong and not too heavy. The drivetrain isn't great but if you know what you're doing it'll shift smooth for you *with effort, meaning hold the shifter for a sec. I felt the tires where pretty good but not for Florida sugar-sand.

Weaknesses:    The drivetrain really could use a Jump Stop as the ratios between the three crank cogs seemed too great for the front derailleur. Flying Fish Bikes also told me the enormous chain that they put on my bike (4 links too many) was what came with the bike and was what Giant intended. I found the bike to be totally unrideable with the chain that long as it came off with the smallest bump. Definitely make sure the chain is the right size.

The fork wasn't horrible when I purchased the bike I weighed 195 lbs but once I lost weight and got down to 135 lbs the fork became a pogo stick threatening to send me flying into the trees. I'd say I felt safe on the fork from 155 lbs and up. I wouldn't bother trying to adjust the rebound as it seems to do nothing.

The saddle was alright but the bars flattened easily when I weighted 195 lbs.

Bottom Line:
This bike is for entry level cross-country and mild terrain. I've used the bike for more than just that but I don't recommend it. The frame can handle a good beating but all other components are not meant for abuse.

I highly recommend this bike as an urban commuter too. I found it easy to travel along at 18 mph on flat road and stop quickly when needed.

Favorite Trail:   Balm Boyette Scrub Preserve

Purchased At:   Flying Fish Bikes

Bike Setup:   I upgraded the fork to a Tora 302, tires to Specialized Fast Tracks, as well as better platform pedals and saddle.

Submitted by bchernault a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2010

Strengths:    Strong Frame, silver color scheme, easily upgradable.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, entry level fork, but should be expected for this price.

Bottom Line:
Great starter mountain bike. Bought low end since I wasn;t sure if I would get back into biking. Was able to easily upgrade almost all components. Handles all beginner and intermediate trails without issue.

Favorite Trail:   Big Creek

Purchased At:   Roswell Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Trek 820 from the early 90s.

Bike Setup:   Forte Carbon bars, SRAM X7 shifters, cassette and rear derailleur. WTB speed V seat with Easton EA70 post. Forte steel pedals with toe straps, ritchey grips, Mavic XC717 rims with XT hubs, Deore LX crankset, Cat Eye wireless computer.

Submitted by Markridesfairmount a Weekend Warrior from doylestown PA USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2010

Strengths:    durable frame, smooth shifting, good overall feel

Weaknesses:    could use a better fork, more reliable 3peice crank, a little heavy for a hardtail. better pedals

Bottom Line:
The initial performance of the bike was impressive, the shifting was very smooth and fluid. The brakes have performed flawlessly from the first ride, I have rode the bike in many varied conditions. Recently have encountered some issues. Broke the original pedals on a trail ride. Bent the handle bars on a mild jump. And for the second time in less than three years im going to have to replace the three piece crank due to stripped bolt and rounded opening. As a smooth trail rider you will be very pleased. If your looking for something to hit a technical section, ditch the boulder and go for something more reliable.

Favorite Trail:   ralph stover, high rocks

Purchased At:   Newtown Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek antelope, Gary Fisher,

Bike Setup:   Crank Brothers 50/50 pedals, inverted factory stem, replaced handle bars.

Submitted by jakewhite07 a Racer from rancho cordova

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2010

Strengths:    great frame and comonents. ive had this bike for 4 years and it just started breaking on me. i use it for racing short and cross country.

Weaknesses:    the derailer hangar broke after a 16 foot drop..... i understand it broke under that pressure. i also had to upgrade the grips, brakes and tires. i also tweeked the fork a little to put up with the abuse

Bottom Line:
awsome bike for beginner to intermediate riders. i got it to test it for the company, and was rewarded for having it so long. so go get it

Favorite Trail:   river brim/ elmanto park

Purchased At:   performance bikes -c

Similar Products Used:   specialized stump jumper

Bike Setup:   stock other than basic part swaps

Submitted by AryanArmy a Cross Country Rider from Loveland,CO 80537

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2010

Strengths:    -Bomb Proof
-Good components for the money
-Frame has potential

Weaknesses:    -Seat
-Tires
-Stem & Bars
-Pedals
-Stock weight (33lbs.)

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money.Seat,stem,bars and tires are a must.I love this bike,you could huck it off the side of a mountain and it would still be ride-able,but plan on investing about $400+ right off the bat to make it respectable.

Favorite Trail:   Devils Backbone

Similar Products Used:   Fisher, Trek

Bike Setup:   Sette seat & flat bars.Easton 90mm stem,455 rims,Shimano dual pedals,Xt hubs,Ritchey Zed tires,BB7 brakes up front along with some minor upgrades.

Submitted by HR_XC a Cross Country Rider from Gainesville, Va, USA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2009

Strengths:    Price (>$300US), upgradable, smooth shifting when LBS tunes it

Weaknesses:    Plastic Pedals, stock seat is weak, handle grips slip

Bottom Line:
Awesome beginner bike. I purchased this in early 2008 and proceeded to get into XC. Not knowing any better, I beat this thing up on trails it is not designed for...and it still held up! I have broken two chains (due to my stupidity), bent the large chain ring on a log (again, stupid me) and had the seat break off of the stock post.
All of this and I LOVE this bike. I should have hurt myself by now but the bike has saved me from myself. I have slowly upgraded the parts over the past couple of years and every time I do, I fall in love with the bike all over. DO NOT buy this for any sort of DJ or Freeriding, it is NOT designed for it. But if you are new to the MTB world, buy this bike!

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek

Purchased At:   A-1 Cycling

Bike Setup:   Lock on Grips, Upgraded Seat post, Specialized Seat, MRP Armor Bash Guard (after bending the large chain ring), Welgo MG-1 pedals, WTB Prowler XT Rear, MAXXIS Highroller up front.

Submitted by shenny88 a Weekend Warrior from central michigan

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2009

Strengths:    best components for the price, solid, comfortable, dynamic

Weaknesses:    styling, weight

Bottom Line:
awesome bike for the value, comes with better wheels, deraileur, axles, etc than any other bike in its price range. obviously its not for stunt jumping or really anything extreme, just a solid trail bike crossover.

Purchased At:   D&D