Giant Boulder SE XC Hardtail

3.93/5 (41 Reviews)

Submitted by Dallas

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2013

Strengths:    Fast, Good for any thing I need it for.

Weaknesses:    It didnt cost $1,000,000

Bottom Line:
After my family and my fiance telling me I needed to seek help for trying to buy a bike over $1,000 I went to my buddy who has a bike shop and picked up this bike after riding it and a FS. First off no the bike doesnt cost alot and so people think its not good. I dont know if its because I am a bull rider and home builder and have good balance and can take some hits or because this bike is really great. I think its the bike though. No problem on the trail keeping up with the Jones over any thing I came up on. Oh and guess what it didnt hardly cost a thing go figure. I used to wear Oakley and Gims but my fiance showed me cheap shades do the same thing. Its not what the boy paid for it its how the man rides it.

Submitted by Seth a Cross Country Rider from Palm Harbor, FL

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2010

Strengths:    The frame is strong and not too heavy. The drivetrain isn't great but if you know what you're doing it'll shift smooth for you *with effort, meaning hold the shifter for a sec. I felt the tires where pretty good but not for Florida sugar-sand.

Weaknesses:    The drivetrain really could use a Jump Stop as the ratios between the three crank cogs seemed too great for the front derailleur. Flying Fish Bikes also told me the enormous chain that they put on my bike (4 links too many) was what came with the bike and was what Giant intended. I found the bike to be totally unrideable with the chain that long as it came off with the smallest bump. Definitely make sure the chain is the right size.

The fork wasn't horrible when I purchased the bike I weighed 195 lbs but once I lost weight and got down to 135 lbs the fork became a pogo stick threatening to send me flying into the trees. I'd say I felt safe on the fork from 155 lbs and up. I wouldn't bother trying to adjust the rebound as it seems to do nothing.

The saddle was alright but the bars flattened easily when I weighted 195 lbs.

Bottom Line:
This bike is for entry level cross-country and mild terrain. I've used the bike for more than just that but I don't recommend it. The frame can handle a good beating but all other components are not meant for abuse.

I highly recommend this bike as an urban commuter too. I found it easy to travel along at 18 mph on flat road and stop quickly when needed.

Favorite Trail:   Balm Boyette Scrub Preserve

Purchased At:   Flying Fish Bikes

Bike Setup:   I upgraded the fork to a Tora 302, tires to Specialized Fast Tracks, as well as better platform pedals and saddle.

Submitted by bchernault a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2010

Strengths:    Strong Frame, silver color scheme, easily upgradable.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, entry level fork, but should be expected for this price.

Bottom Line:
Great starter mountain bike. Bought low end since I wasn;t sure if I would get back into biking. Was able to easily upgrade almost all components. Handles all beginner and intermediate trails without issue.

Favorite Trail:   Big Creek

Purchased At:   Roswell Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Trek 820 from the early 90s.

Bike Setup:   Forte Carbon bars, SRAM X7 shifters, cassette and rear derailleur. WTB speed V seat with Easton EA70 post. Forte steel pedals with toe straps, ritchey grips, Mavic XC717 rims with XT hubs, Deore LX crankset, Cat Eye wireless computer.

Submitted by jakewhite07 a Racer from rancho cordova

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2010

Strengths:    great frame and comonents. ive had this bike for 4 years and it just started breaking on me. i use it for racing short and cross country.

Weaknesses:    the derailer hangar broke after a 16 foot drop..... i understand it broke under that pressure. i also had to upgrade the grips, brakes and tires. i also tweeked the fork a little to put up with the abuse

Bottom Line:
awsome bike for beginner to intermediate riders. i got it to test it for the company, and was rewarded for having it so long. so go get it

Favorite Trail:   river brim/ elmanto park

Purchased At:   performance bikes -c

Similar Products Used:   specialized stump jumper

Bike Setup:   stock other than basic part swaps

Submitted by AryanArmy a Cross Country Rider from Loveland,CO 80537

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2010

Strengths:    -Bomb Proof
-Good components for the money
-Frame has potential

Weaknesses:    -Seat
-Tires
-Stem & Bars
-Pedals
-Stock weight (33lbs.)

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money.Seat,stem,bars and tires are a must.I love this bike,you could huck it off the side of a mountain and it would still be ride-able,but plan on investing about $400+ right off the bat to make it respectable.

Favorite Trail:   Devils Backbone

Similar Products Used:   Fisher, Trek

Bike Setup:   Sette seat & flat bars.Easton 90mm stem,455 rims,Shimano dual pedals,Xt hubs,Ritchey Zed tires,BB7 brakes up front along with some minor upgrades.

Submitted by HR_XC a Cross Country Rider from Gainesville, Va, USA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2009

Strengths:    Price (>$300US), upgradable, smooth shifting when LBS tunes it

Weaknesses:    Plastic Pedals, stock seat is weak, handle grips slip

Bottom Line:
Awesome beginner bike. I purchased this in early 2008 and proceeded to get into XC. Not knowing any better, I beat this thing up on trails it is not designed for...and it still held up! I have broken two chains (due to my stupidity), bent the large chain ring on a log (again, stupid me) and had the seat break off of the stock post.
All of this and I LOVE this bike. I should have hurt myself by now but the bike has saved me from myself. I have slowly upgraded the parts over the past couple of years and every time I do, I fall in love with the bike all over. DO NOT buy this for any sort of DJ or Freeriding, it is NOT designed for it. But if you are new to the MTB world, buy this bike!

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek

Purchased At:   A-1 Cycling

Bike Setup:   Lock on Grips, Upgraded Seat post, Specialized Seat, MRP Armor Bash Guard (after bending the large chain ring), Welgo MG-1 pedals, WTB Prowler XT Rear, MAXXIS Highroller up front.

Submitted by shenny88 a Weekend Warrior from central michigan

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2009

Strengths:    best components for the price, solid, comfortable, dynamic

Weaknesses:    styling, weight

Bottom Line:
awesome bike for the value, comes with better wheels, deraileur, axles, etc than any other bike in its price range. obviously its not for stunt jumping or really anything extreme, just a solid trail bike crossover.

Purchased At:   D&D

Similar Products Used:   gt aggressor and avalanche

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by fastpicker89 a Weekend Warrior from Tallahassee, Florida, US

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2009

Strengths:    Sturdy and reliable, like the gear system

Weaknesses:    Fork is obtrusive, feels heavy

Bottom Line:
I had the Boulder before this and I actually liked it better. It was the same year, 2009, and it was lighter and had a better turn radius. I realize that the fork is there for better suspension, but I feel off-center with it. Maybe that's just me. But if you're deciding between the Boulder and the SE... the only difference is really the fork, which I in fact did not care for much.

Favorite Trail:   Street, Hills

Purchased At:   Great Bicycle Shop T

Similar Products Used:   Giant Boulder

Bike Setup:   Mostly original, new brakes

Submitted by Joe French a Weekend Warrior from Belmont NH USA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2009

Strengths:    weight,over all dependability, and little repair adustments, I would

Bottom Line:
I would reccomend this bike to those who want a dependable bike for off road and single track riding. This bike is should not be used for extreme down hill or racing because it was not made for that kind of riding, but more for the family ride in the back country.

Favorite Trail:   Lincoln bike trail

Purchased At:   Piches bike shop Lac

Similar Products Used:   Trek Mt. bike

Submitted by John Cooper a Weekend Warrior from Genoa City, WI , USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2009

Strengths:    Very Solid Frame. Good tires & H.S. Rims. Shifting is smooth
Brakes are OK. Nice bike for the average "casual" light trail rider like me who may put on 50-75 miles/week.

Weaknesses:    Seat is uncomfortable but this is inexpensive to switch out.

Bottom Line:
I really enjoy riding this bike and it is going to stop the abuse I was putting on my Marin Hybred riding hard pack trails.

Favorite Trail:   Hebron Trail

Purchased At:   Antioch Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Roadmaster, Mountain Ridge

Submitted by mtb100 a Cross Country Rider from pa

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2009

Strengths:    strong frame, good shifters

Weaknesses:    handle bars, brakes , forks

Bottom Line:
This bike is not for big jump down hill its a xc bike dont buy it to jump because i had to replace most of the parts But it would be good for lite trails

Favorite Trail:   High Rocks

Bike Setup:   it has a smooth ride on light trails

Submitted by reiper550 a Weekend Warrior from WV

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2009

Strengths:    - Good for a starter bike
- Shifts well when properly adjusted

Weaknesses:    - Plastic pedals break easily
- Needs frequent adjustments to keep shifting smoothly
- Chain rubs frame when on smallest sprocket
- Chain wore out quickly
- Handlebar gradually bent

Bottom Line:
Good for someone who is starting to ride or does more casual riding. I discovered some great but rough trails close to my house shortly after buying this bike, and so far it has held up quite well considering its cost and what I've put it through.

Favorite Trail:   Trails in mountains near my house

Purchased At:   River City Cycles

Bike Setup:   Purchased stock, but I have upgraded to 2.4 Kenda Telonix tires, Shimano Deore pedals, WTB Rocket V Race Saddle, Easton EA50 handlebar, Shimano HG-70 chain

Submitted by NEW GIANTMAN a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2009

Strengths:    Solid feel, sharp looks, price, good starter components

Weaknesses:    plastic pedals, no disc brakes, a bit heavy

Bottom Line:
This bike has a solid feel and is built well. It feels good on the trails and has motivated me to ride regularly. I searched for several entry level mountain bikes and none of them could top the Boulder Se. My only complaint is the cheap pedals provided which I destroyed ripping through some trails in Cunningham park. I upgraded them to a set of steel primo pedals and now I am good to go. I do wish the fork had a lockout but for the price I cant complain. Overall I am very pleased with the performance and the Giant has exceeded my expectations.

Favorite Trail:   Cunningham park

Purchased At:   Grand Bike center

Similar Products Used:   trek 4300, gary fisher tiguan

Bike Setup:   changed to steel primo bmx/mtb pedals

Submitted by Anil a Cross Country Rider from Trinidad&Tobago

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2009

Strengths:    Light frame, love the blue/white/black color scheme. Have not done any downhill or very fast riding yet, but the feel of the brakes are fine. Gearing allows me to climb 3-4" curbs easily. The front fork seems fine so far, but appears to have little adjustability. Came with off-road tires (don't know what type yet) that provide great grip in the loose sand on the roads that I drive on behind my house.

Weaknesses:    No rear suspension, gear sometimes shifts on its own! No fork suspension boots. Seat does not go low enough to allow my wife to be able to ride it properly :-( I feel like my balls would be crushed at times when riding on a wavy surface.

Bottom Line:
First bike since my BMX I had 15 years ago! The ride is very enjoyable, and on certain gears, it's effortless to ride. Seems fairly sturdy - as it's taken a couple tumbles already. I can't compare it to other off-road bikes, cause I haven't ridden any others. Will in time to come though. For the surfaces I ride on, I wished it had rear suspension. I may look into the possibility of getting a seat post with suspension in it. The price I paid was alot more that what others paid for it...but I bought it outside the US, so there's shipping and import taxes to add on. I did look at comparable Trek and Fuji bikes at other bike dealers, but this appeared the be the best with the budget I had.

Favorite Trail:   dirt roads behind my house

Purchased At:   Mike's Cycles, Trini

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Can't say offhand, except for stock.

Submitted by Beginner Rider a Weekend Warrior from Rock Island, IL

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2009

Strengths:    Best value for the money out there for a beginner mountain bike. Strong frame, very solid on the small-medium sized trails. Stable off of small "jumps". Good for the road on the way to the trails.

Weaknesses:    Poor brakes, front fork is "adustable", but not really.

Bottom Line:
Best beginner bike period. Would recommend to anybody.

Favorite Trail:   town streets, small-medium trails

Purchased At:   Bike & Hike

Similar Products Used:   First real mountain bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for rims and pedals (small upgrades).

Giant Boulder SE stolen wheel replacement.

A few months ago, my Giant had it's front wheel and tire stolen. Haven't ridden the bike since. I'm looking for suggestions on replacing the wheel set and tires. Bike is totally stock, I'm more of a street/ occasional trail rider. I'm also not looking to break the bank. Any advice? Ride safe Gilber ... Read More »

GIANT boulder se.

I just picked up a boulder se. it has specialized grips maxis 26x2.35 tires and a fore seat. I want to upgrade this bike what upgrades would be good for this bike. I have pics but not sure how to post them. Or should i just pick up a better starter bike i know a guy who has a khs frs-1500 for sal ... Read More »

Newbie wants to upgrade to a Giant Boulder SE... worth it?

I bought a bike for less than $100. It was a rigid frame Giant Rincon. I have been riding 10 miles at least 3 times a week on some paved and semi paved trails and enjoying it! I upgraded the seat and got dual pedals. I went through good ol' C-list and found this: [url=http://chicago.craigslis ... Read More »

Boulder SE advice quick!!

Hey there! I am brand new at the bike thing and looking for a good starter bike for commuting, mid-light trails with the potenial option to really get down and dirty if I like this whole thing. I have been looking and comparing for waayyyy too long and have it narrowed down to a handful that I am i ... Read More »

Rock Shox Dart 2/3 on Giant Boulder Se

Im new to the whole mountain biking world but am looking to upgrade to a lockout fork. Would the Rockshox Dart 2 or 3 fit my bike stock?Read More »