Giant ATX 870 XC Hardtail

MSRP : $1995.00

Giant ATX 870

Submitted by iluvdrt a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO USA

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2011

Strengths:    Great frame, incredible stregnth

Weaknesses:    OEM compents were great for their time, but have become obsolete

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike since it was new in 1996. It was my first Mtn. bike and I still love it to this day. The frame is light and has a great feel. This bike literally has thousands of miles on it. I have taken it all over the country to ride, and even Iraq and Kuwait. I am a little saddened it is older and doesnt get the awe of the newer models, but I keep upgrading its parts as they wear out and I am able to keep up with the best of them. Great bike!!

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Bills bike shop in O

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX 870 frame, original cranks, rims and front derailer. Rear derailer is a SRAM 5.0, brakes are Avid V brakes, grip shift all around, MOZO front fork. All about to be upgraded again.

Submitted by Matt Wilson a Weekend Warrior from Port Macquarie AUSTRALIA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight Strong Durable Smoothe

Bottom Line:
Very lucky to get the Giant ATX for 220$, was in the right place at the right time and I cant stop riding it I love it, its so smoothe to ride and so lightweight and I can manoeuvre the bike with ease and the speed of the bike is amazing on the tar I can speak hightly enough of it, you just have to buy to enjoy the brilliant ride it offers, It puts the fun back into bike riding.

Favorite Trail:   road

Purchased At:   Tender Centre

Submitted by Jim Fulmer a Cross Country Rider from Silver Spring MD

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2007

Strengths:    I bought it for the frame. It was just what I was looking for in 1995. That's right 12 years ago! I learned to ride on it. The first 3 years were very muddy and abusive. I punished this bike. A bulletproof frame on cheap parts that I could easily swap over time. Since then I have rebuilt it 3 times. Most recently as a touring bike. This is the most versatile frame I have owned and will be riding it for a long long long long time.

Weaknesses:    I replaced all the parts I didn't like a long time ago so it is perfect.

Bottom Line:
Find one, buy it.

Favorite Trail:   Gambrill Stake Park

Purchased At:   A bike store that is long gone :)

Bike Setup:   in 1997 I put a Girvin fork on it which is also bullet proof. It is still on. It is built up for touring so nothing too flashy at the moment.

Submitted by Ron Dough a Weekend Warrior from NZ

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2007

Strengths:    Lasted me 10 years. Light, handled a few good beatings. Cost me NZ$1700 down from NZ$2200 brand new as an end of season special (June 1997)

Weaknesses:    Long stem, Flat bars, short fork travel by todays standards. Fork used to 'top out' on take off when new. They settled down after about a year and a service. Doesn't handle running into gorse bushes at over 20mph.

Bottom Line:
Good bike at the time. Fun for XC, but too bouncy for the rutted, tree root-lined, mud-filled single track downhills we have here in NZ. Managed to snap the frame just behind the headset a couple of months ago.

Loved the bike for 3 years, then got a Marin B17 with 6" rear travel, Full XT componentry, Mavic D321 Rims, Azonic bars and stem, Manitou Xvert T's (tricked out to 6") and VP clipless Pedals.
That's when I realised hardtails were for smooth riders and 6" beasts let you get away with murder!!

BOTTOM LINE: Nice and Light and pretty tasty.

Favorite Trail:   Day's Bay

Purchased At:   VIC Cycles

Bike Setup:   (1997 model) LX componentry (V brakes, Cranks, Hubs, Dérailleurs/shifters), Judy T2 forks

Submitted by jclyow yow a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2003

Strengths:    Solid Build, Fast, Great for Trail.

Weaknesses:    Handle Bars, Seat Post, Tires, pretty much what you see as upgrades

Bottom Line:
The bike is a sweet yellow, I think it's a 1999 though, not too sure. My first bike with shocks, yep, that's right. I bought it used from a friend who got it too big for her, and it was only riden about 6 times. Me I rode it 6 times in one week and busted the seat and post (6' 220lbs). I have since bent the rear bracket but no biggie. I love this bike, however I am still buying a FS XC bike, most likely the Giant NRS 2 or NRS 3 (depending on how much poop I get from my girlfiend). If you happen to come accross a decent used ATX 870 BUY IT, for weekend trail or XC fun this is an awesome bike....

Favorite Trail:   Ottawa Greenbelt, Gatineau Hills

Purchased At:   Hardly Used from a friend

Similar Products Used:   GT Tempest, GT Zaskar

Bike Setup:   Stock:Frame CU92 Aluminum, Fork Rockshox Judy XC - 2.5" travel, Front Deraileur Shimano LX - 34.9, Rear Deraileur
Shimano XT - 9 speed, Shifters Shimano LX Rapidfire Plus - 9 speed, Crank Shimano LX 22/32/44, Butom Bracket
Shimano UN52 68 X 110, Freewheel Shimano HG70 11-32 9 speed
Chain Shimano HG72, Brakes Shimano LX V-Brakes, Seat Pin
Alloy w/Giant logo, Rims Mavic X222A1 32h, Hubs
Shimano LX 32h QR

Upgrades: Cables Shimano XTR Stainless - Avid Housing
Pedal, Radical DH Clipless (Dual Side, Handlebar Titec - Hellbent Riser, Stem Titec Li'l Al 10 degree, Headset
Chris King NoThreadSet - Red Anodized, Grips ODI Intense Lock-on Grip (reversed, Saddle WTB Laser V Stealth, Seat Post Titec XC 27.2 Black, Tires Kenda Klaw XT 26 X2.10

Submitted by Lud a Cross Country Rider from Solna, Sweden

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2002

Strengths:    Nice starter bike, all hidden details seems to be hi quality. Excellent shifting.

Weaknesses:    RST fork with no damping...

Bottom Line:
Good quality bike, only changed the transmission after it got worn out from a year of everyday abuse in all weather (think the snow kills...) The RST fork is basically crap but will make forest riding a little bit more pleasant than a stiff fork.
With a better fork I would really recommend this bike!

Purchased At:   Second hand

Similar Products Used:   Cycle PRO Pinnacle

Bike Setup:   RST Mozo PRO fork, LX/STX-RC

Submitted by Segev Appelbaum a Racer from Israel

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2000

Strengths:    It's a durable bike that never let's you down. Thanks to its light and rigid CU92 frame, the ride is excellent. I mean, this bike does just about anything you want it to do,on almost any terrain.

Weaknesses:    Averagely equipped. If you want to race with this bike seriously, you need to be ready for a big investment, that pays off at the end.
BTW, the new version is much better equipped and lighter.

Bottom Line:
The ATX 870 is an excellent choice for those who wish to start racing.
As I'm about to consider replacing my current bike, I'm actually thinking of purchasing the latest version of the 870 (other candidates are confined to Giant only).
The bottom line - A wonderful package for its value.

Favorite Trail:   All around the country (of Israel)

Similar Products Used:   None.

Submitted by Kerry Warner a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2000

Strengths:    The bike has very tight frame that will go where you want it to. The lightness of the frame and the really great spread of ratios of the 9 spd cluster let me climb up hills at 7 Kilometres an hour yet still give me enough top end to easily cruise at 30 kilometres an hour.

Weaknesses:    The PAINT WORK. I have more chips on the paint work after one month then I had after two years on my Trek!!!

Bottom Line:
A great bike for the price which was $AUST1,843. I do a lot of kilometres on the bituman yet wanted a bike that would let me do some serious dirt work. The ATX870 does all of this at a reasonable price. My only concern is the paint is chipping off all over the place from stones. I think that someone without a huge budget but needs a good all rounder should buy this bike.

Favorite Trail:   6 Foot track

Similar Products Used:   I have had a trek 870 and a Wheeler 3000.

Bike Setup:   Judy front shocks, cable disc brakes, XT decore running gear

Submitted by John Wagner a Racer from Lansing

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2000

Strengths:    awesome, light, durable, comfortable

Weaknesses:    none for the price

Bottom Line:
this bike rocks it has brought me through 2 years of hardcore racing. it is a great bike for its price and I recomend if you see one and you need a durable bike get it. the type of rider that should get this bike is a starting racer that wants quality in a durable yet curiously light bike

Favorite Trail:   any trail with single track

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher big sur

Bike Setup:   LX XT

Submitted by John Ford a Weekend Warrior from Hoover, AL

Date Reviewed: October 25, 1999

Strengths:
up-hill climb--lightweight easy to maneuver......excellent handle shifter

Weaknesses:
no shocks....what kind of bike costs this much and does not have shocks

Bottom Line:
overall it is a great bike, handles great around turns, downhill as well as up hill is a plus.....would reccomend the 880 for upcoming riders (comes equiped with shocks, front and rear.)

Virginia Creeper Trails

owned giant iguana, yukon, atx 870

would like ROC-shox

Submitted by bermbanger15 a Weekend Warrior from New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: October 14, 1999

Strengths:
Very strong&Light frame
Good Looks.

Weaknesses:
Bad bottom bracket

Bottom Line:
Kick ass bike for good $$$

Too Many

less than 1 month

Rocky mountain Blizzard
Jamis Dakota

1998 atx 870 frame w/ Marzochi Lights,XT components all round,Titec hellbents, Raceface crank&stem&seat post etc.

Submitted by Brad a Cross-Country Rider from Newcastle

Date Reviewed: May 17, 1999

Strengths:
the strengths are in the components and the performence for the price i got mine for Australian AUD$1600 for that XT Rear Derailer, LX the rest, parallell push V brakes, Mavic X222 rims, super light frame and a quality fork i.e. Judy XC

Weaknesses:
the tyres Wildgrippers while i give them 5 big absolutlely great stars in the mud they are positively dangerous in the dry hardpack and rocks or tarmac where i live. the fork while it has fantastic quality travel especially high speed dampening and seriously next to no stiction it could use a long travel kit to take them from 63mm (2.5in) to 80mm (3.0in)

Bottom Line:
this bike is exceptional value for money, the brakes rule better than any avid except the arch rivals, briliant 9 speed drive chain never had a single problem even when caked in mud, good solid light wheels nice stem and saddle

bourigal

3 months

Kona pohoehoe nice but heavy and same performence as the 870.
scorpian XT nice components and fork but the stearing was realy realy bad, worrying even if you want this bike make shore you test ride it first !?!?!?! !!! :-)

870, judy XC, LX with XT rear derailer

Submitted by Petros Kolyvas a Cross-Country Rider from Montreal, Quebec

Date Reviewed: March 26, 1999

Strengths:
Excellent frame, well equiped right off the shelf for immediate riding.

Weaknesses:
Cheap bottom bracket.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line? Well it's been 1 year since I got this girl and she's looking better than ever with some very nice battle scars over her body. The Giant has stood up well and I've upgraded it appropriately. So what if I put DH tires and pedals and hadlebars on a hardtail, it's comfortable and I built up enough strengh so that I don't notice the extra weight. She's bombproof, looks sleek and works even better. What more could I ask!

World Championship Mt. St-Anne Decent run

Giant ATX 890, Rocky Mountain Blizard, ORYX Team, Cannondale F900

My bike is set up for me, to ride the way I like to ride, and I dont' try to label my riding style, which MTBR should consider doing.This bike is set up with Maxis DH (2.35) Helter Skelter tires for amazing traction and bounce wherever I go. I upgraded the rims to X517's, Judy XC LT fork, bunch of XT and XTR parts, WTB SSTK leather & ti saddle, Race Face crank, 636 pedals and a bunch of other indestructible stuff.

Submitted by DJ a Cross-Country Rider from Tilburg

Date Reviewed: March 25, 1999

Strengths:
combination of Price and quality.
Low weight and stiffness wich makes it easy to kick it uphill.

Weaknesses:
No clipless pedals and some minor quality parts on hidden places. What is to be expected for a price of $1100

Bottom Line:
I have this beatifull bike for a year and she made me sweat!!! Because of a mistake at giant the first atx870 got XT v-brakes instead of the LX ones. Benefit for the early customer. Upgrading is easy to do, tires, pedals, bracket. Conclusion the best bike for this price.

1 Year

Giant cadex, Marin?, kogamiata in the same price category.

Mozo comp

Submitted by Mike a weekend warrior from Sault Ste. Marie Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: February 28, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have had this bike almost a year now and I love it! I have no complaints with it....i haven't been in this sport for long but I just love the feel of the bike
Giant did a good job here....it has a great frame and good components to start with...The Judy T2 was a good shock to throw on too....I think it was a great buy...I just had to buy clips....I love Giant and probably will buy another when I'm done with this one.