Gary Fisher Tassajara XC Hardtail

4.16/5 (32 Reviews)

• Frame: Gold Series 6061 T6 aluminum, G2 Geometry, butted and hydroformed tubing, cold-forged dropouts & BB
  • Wheels: Shimano M475 hubs, Bontrager Ranger disc rims, Bontrager XDX tires
  • Componentry: Shimano Deore front derailleur, Shimano SLX M662 Shadow rear derailleur, Shimano Deore shifters, Shimano FC-M442 crank, Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes
  • Suspension: RockShox Tora SL, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 46mm offset crown

Submitted by swingsultan a Cross Country Rider from Boise, Idaho

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2011

Strengths:    Strong Frame

Weaknesses:    none...

Bottom Line:
So i bought this frame off my buddy for $150 cuz my 2011 hardrock frame was damn heavy. i transferred all of my upgrades onto this 2006 tass frame and it looks lovely. i can notice the genesis geometry, youre a little more stretched out and stability at slow speeds is affected( this is what I'VE noticed). but through and through this frame is strong, light. ive been off jumps that trail bike users would think twice about. through my transfer over to this older lighter frame i saved about one pound.

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   2011 specialized hardrock

Bike Setup:   2006 black and orange tassajara

Submitted by Lucas a Weekend Warrior from Hudson WI

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2011

Strengths:    Strong frame, Lock-out Fork, Fast riding bike on most trails.

Weaknesses:    Compact frame does not fit well on bike rack. Rear brake wears out.

Bottom Line:
It is a great bike for average bike riders. It is an amazing bike for the price. I would recommend this bike for most riders.

Favorite Trail:   White Tail Ridge

Purchased At:   Tread Mill Sports

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F900sx

Bike Setup:   Avid Juicy 7's, Thudbuster

Submitted by alukass a Cross Country Rider from Lithuania

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2011

Strengths:    Handles well, good acceleration, climbs well, rolls well, good geometry.

Weaknesses:    fork and drivetrain don't work so well, it shifts slow, fork has slow rebound and it's not so responsive on small bumps.

Bottom Line:
The bike is good but relatively heavy. My 2009 17.5 inch model weights about 13.5 kg. The bike rides smoothly and very quickly. Tires are not grippy, but they are worn. Fork isn't responsive on small bumps, so it won't make any confidence on the trails. Shifting isn't good either. I tried to fix it, it took 2 hours, but without any positive conclusion. I guess the cassette is worn as well. If the bike would be new, it would fly like a bird. Very good choice for xc riders.

Purchased At:   second hand

Similar Products Used:   Focus fire edge.

Bike Setup:   2009 stock. Rock Shox Tora sl solo air, shimano m486 brakes, slx rear derailleur, deore front, deore shifters, bontrager jones xr tires, shimano m495 hubs.

Submitted by ben a Weekend Warrior from victoria bc

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2011

Strengths:    strong, gary fisher, g2, hydraulic brakes, sram x5

Weaknesses:    handle grips, not full suspension

Bottom Line:
i recommend this to a friend looking for a hard-tail i don't know if you can find them new cause gf got sold over but it is a amazing bike

Favorite Trail:   hartland (torpedo run)

Purchased At:   straight up cycle

Similar Products Used:   a few rocky mountains

Bike Setup:   the store set it up

Submitted by Core Boy a Cross Country Rider from Hbg, PA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2010

Strengths:    The frame seems to be alright.

Weaknesses:    Broke too many parts to even remember them all.
Within the first two weeks the rubber caps on the manitou fork came loose. The brake and rear derailleur cables frayed and had to be replaced.
Within the first 6 months: the seat broke. One of the chain rings on the rear cassette broke. The rear rim folded out where the wear indicator groove is.
The shop where I purchased it from gave me a hard time when I tried to claim any of that under warranty. The only thing they replaced free of charge was the rear rim, but then they did so with one that was not disc brake ready, so I had to spend extra to get the adapter.
Now just over 1.5 years of use, the front rim folded out along the wear indicator groove.
The rear derailleur hanger gets bent very easily.

The pedals that came on the bike were worthless.

Bottom Line:
This bike may be good for riding on pavement or a rail-trail, but certainly not on any mountain terrain.

I will never purchase a Gary Fischer bike again.

Favorite Trail:   bum trail

Purchased At:   Holmes

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn, Trek

Submitted by ttunes22 a Cross Country Rider from Lyons, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2010

Strengths:    Takes a beating, is a minimalists dream.

it has what you need and nothing more.

Weaknesses:    V brakes

Bottom Line:
Great bike to buy used because it is so durable. I bought it for $400 a year old. I haven't done a thing to it but change the tubes and tires. There is a reason they use them for rentals.

Favorite Trail:   Hall ranch

Purchased At:   used at U-bikes Boul

Bike Setup:   Original stuff

Submitted by B-52 Bomber a Weekend Warrior from Mount Victoria, NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2010

Strengths:    I first wrote a review when I bought the bike several years ago, and now I am back to report on its 10 years of service. This bike was purchased in 2000 [the yellow, red and black colour scheme Genesis Geometry], and it has endured a lot of punishment since. Approx 20,000km later [all on trails], there is no sign of frame fatigue or paint cracking. All of the components except tyres -of course- are original, and with minimal maintenance still works like new. It is an excellent allround cross country bike, that is very stable in the rough, excellent in the uphill climbing, and will do exactly what you ask of it.

Weaknesses:    The Promax V-brakes is something that will eventually be replaced with disc brakes. When I first purchased the bike, I did have the option of discs but I chose to stick with V-brakes as I thought the discs would add significant weight to the bike. While the V-brakes have served me well, I will upgrade to discs because some of the rocky downhill stretches have been white knuckling experiences. While the Tass is not a downhill machine, the discs would give it more effortless stopping power for the extended long downhill stretches.

Bottom Line:
For the price, you get something way above an entry level machine, that means you need not upgrade the frame at all -at worst you might update a few components sometime in the future. I don't know about the current model, but my ten year old frame has shown no sign of fatigue, and the paint job has been first class. The frame is a classic hard tail design that will never date. I might report back at the 20 year mark.

Value rating? cost is about 7 cents per kilometre and falling.

Overall? Figure it out!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere Goats fear to tread...

Purchased At:   Clarence Street Cycl

Similar Products Used:   Wouldn't use anything else.

Bike Setup:   Bont 5 degree crowbar, Promax V-brakes, Shimano Deore LX derailers, vuelo rims, Cameleon tyres, Rock Shox Judy XC etc ... per my original post.

Submitted by SR92 a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2009

Strengths:    Genesis geometry with 100mm of travel makes it flexible in the right parts and stiff in the others. Shimano Deore XC componentry with Avid cantilever brakes make it light and easy for the rider. The components come ready to build up with disc brake ready hubs and easily built up steering. Paint job is very pretty on the 2007 (Chi Red/Black).

Weaknesses:    Bontrager AC-X tires wear poorly if it is ridden often on road or hard surfaces. The Bontrager seat that comes stock offers little support (I'm looking to switch to a WTB Pure V.

Bottom Line:
Overall a great choice for a serious starter mountain biker looking to get into a combination of environments. The Tassajara has a can-do attitude with the frame strength to handle some pretty good trails. I've ridden it on 20+ mile road trips and had fun on off road trails (6/10). I am very happy with its performance and look forward to many more years riding it. Great bike for the price.

Favorite Trail:   North Park

Purchased At:   Trek of Pittsburgh,

Similar Products Used:   '92 Jazz Voltage (by Trek. Test rode several high end bikes (GF Hi-Fi, Pivot Firebird, Trek Top Fuel) for comparison.

Bike Setup:   Shimano Deore rapid rise rear deraileur, Trek Incite ACH computer, Avid Cantilever Brakes (Stock), Manitou Slate 100mm XC front fork (Stock), Wellgo Pedals, Bontrager AC-X Tires (Stock)

Submitted by mandible a Cross Country Rider from Royal Oak, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent Geometry (not G2); great on both climbs and descents, no problem with the frame durability, good parts for the price.

Weaknesses:    Consistent trail riding (3-4 times a week) will wear out parts in first couple years.

Bottom Line:
This is a great entry level trail bike for those just getting into mtb'n like i did 4 years ago. Once you get your skill level up and parts start to wear out, upgrade as necessary. Don't be afraid to install high end parts on this frame, i've spent about $2,500 on upgrades over the last 1 1/2 years since i started racing.

Favorite Trail:   Maybury Sanitorium

Purchased At:   Main Street Bikes, S

Bike Setup:   '05 GF Tassajara:
Stock handlebar, stem & seatpost, upgraded everything else (see my profile for complete parts list)

Submitted by coppersmith99 a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2009

Strengths:    Long top tube and Genesis Geometry suits my 6'3" frame and riding style.

Weaknesses:    With less than 5 years of light road riding (I ride a hardtail with 1.5's instead of a road bike), having never crashed the bike once, both main tubes have completely cracked through the tubes and the welds where they meet the bottom bracket.

Bottom Line:
Don't believe the hype about the Gold Series Aluminum frameset, or those who proclaim how tough it is. I am 6'3", 190 lbs - hardly one of the bigger guys who is going to ride an XL frame - and not one, but two of Gary's frames have failed where the main tubes meet the bottom bracket. I am currently waiting for a response from Trek's warranty department. I will let you know how they treat a loyal rider when I hear from them.

Similar Products Used:   Ironically enough, I purchased my first GF in 1999 - a Mt. Tam for $1500. I retired that frame and hung it on the wall when I bought the Tassajara described above that failed. When I went to build the Mt. Tam back up again to use while dealing with Trek's warranty department, I discovered that the weld between the front tube of the main triangle and the bottom bracket had cracked and failed about 2/3 of the way around.

Bike Setup:   The Pilot fork was o.k., the rest of the spec was pretty poor - tektro, LX or below, etc.

Submitted by lampy29 a Racer from NY USA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2009

Strengths:    Price - really can't beat the quality vs the price on this bike. The geometry is rock solid and the frame is tough as nails.

Matte black is awesome and really resilient (so far) to scratching and dents, but who cares about that?

Good enough for any weekend warrior

Weaknesses:    rear derailleur isn't up to par for races - experienced skip & ghost shifting during and after my first race and can't fix it.

Stock rear tire is awful

Pedals are dangerous on singletrack. Replace them as fast as you can.

Bottom Line:
This is the best mid level bike available. Despite the flaw of including such low quality pedals on a serious mountain bike I negate this mistake in the rating because the fix is so easy and cheaply rectified. If you're new to mountain biking this may be the perfect bike for you as it includes components and a frame that are stocky enough to stand up to the abuse of a beginner or intermediate rider while being light enough to climb like a goat.

The shock is an enormous upgrade from that on the Piranha and lower Gary Fisher's and after riding my Piranha for 1 year + and growing out of it I went to my LBS and test rode a 'Tass. I was blown away. The Rock Shox Solo Air is incredible. It soaks up everything so much more smoothly than the lower quality Axel, and is also much lighter. The adjustability of the shock is also an enormous benefit and is easily done to match shock reaction to terrain conditions. This shock makes riding more enjoyable and comfortable.

This bike seems to have been designed to the casual mtb'er and the components included are good enough for that grade of rider. The Shimano LX grouping offers smooth shifting and the hydraulic brakes are perfect for XC riding, and offer much improved feel over the cable actuated disk brakes found in cheaper Gary Fisher bikes.

However if you are interested in XC racing this bike will perform very well with some tweaks. (pedals upgraded to clipless, tubeless conversion, upgrade rear derailleur, new tires) If I had realized I would be racing at the time I made my purchase I would have chosen a different bike but for hard riding this bike performs perfectly for what it has been made for.

I have gotten one of my friends into mtb and am helping him choose a bike. This is the one I've suggested to him.

Favorite Trail:   Letchworth State Park

Purchased At:   Towpath bikestore

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Marlin
Gary Fisher Piranha
Trek 820
Cannondale Scalpel team (wish I had the $$$ for this one)

Bike Setup:   Shimano M520 clipless pedals, Michelin Dry2 in rear, otherwise stock.

Submitted by pintail45 a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2008

Strengths:    Killer looks, great value, Genesis geometry makes climbing fun

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side, uncomfortable Bontrager saddle, cheap pedals

Bottom Line:
I LOVE this bike. Originally ordered a HKEK but they were on back order so I settled for the Tass. No regrets!!! This bike climbs better than anything I've ever been on and handles well on the downhills too.

Best mod I made was to ditch the saddle for a Sette Rev ($15 @ price point). Docking it 1 chili overall for the horrendous saddle and pedals.

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Greenbelt

Purchased At:   Bicycles Plus (Dalla

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper FSR, Santa Cruz Chameleon

Bike Setup:   '08 model (matte black) with upgrades...Recon 351, SLX crankset and cassette, XTR chain, PD-A530 pedals, Maxxis Ignitors 26x2.1, Sette Rev saddle, Moab lock-on grips

Submitted by videopelli a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2008

Strengths:    Geometry

Weaknesses:    Bontrager stem (the very samall warning sticker says (essentially) "Don't use for mountain biking

Bottom Line:
Great frame but needs upgrading almost immediately. I made the mistake of upgrading the stem first - the mistake was buying a much longer stem (100mm) than I needed. I then spent a year laid out on the bike, wondering why my lower back hurt so much. Went back to a 90mm/6deg stem, and the magic is back. Bottom bracket is a little flexy, but that helps absorb some of the bumps. I've taken this bike on the Kokopelli Trail from Fruita to Moab, commutes of 38 miles round trip, and lunch time rides on the Air Force Academy (don't laugh until you've done it). If you are looking for a good frame with decent components, and plan to upgrade over time, this is a great bike. If you want quality immediately, look somewhere else. The OEM components are mostly trash for anything other than bike paths.

Favorite Trail:   Palmer Park / Falcon Trail

Purchased At:   Old Town Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   GF HooKooEKoo

Bike Setup:   CTX carbon bar, Easton EA70 stem, Marzocchi 700SL, full SRAM X9, Shimano XT crankset, Mavic CrossRide wheels, eggbeater pedals

Submitted by ZombieFood a Weekend Warrior from Margate, Florida

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight. Climbs very well. Descends well. Very agile and responsive. Good components all around.

Weaknesses:    None yet. I love this bike

Bottom Line:
My first real mountain bike. I started riding at Markham Park in Florida and love it. I rode a full suspension before but it was heavy and didn't climb all that well. All the reviews here said this bike climbed like a goat and they weren't kidding. This bike is amazing. Its 3 yrs old but hardly ridden. The stock forks could possibly be better but so far they have not bottomed out or gave me any problems other than the lockout not working. Again its a used bike so that's not a big deal. I am hooked on Gary Fisher bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park, Oleta State Park