Gary Fisher Tassajara GS XC Hardtail

Submitted by mestebon a Weekend Warrior from Farmington, MI

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2010

Strengths:    Very responsive, solid bike. I love the look and feel. I'm 5'2" and proportionally everything feels right about this bike for me.

Weaknesses:    The original seat wasn't great for long distance rides (it was narrow and hard), but on the trails, you wouldn't spend a whole lot of time sitting anyway. I occasionally do longer road rides, so swapped out the seat for a wider gel which is awesome both on trail or road.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. I purchased it as a novice with recommendations from my boyfriend who had a Hoo Koo e Koo. Within a few months, I was hitting the trails with the experienced guys. Had I a lesser bike, I probably would have stuck to the beginner trails or given up. After 5 years of moderate riding, the bike is still in excellent condition and I've never had any trouble with any of the components. I'm excited about starting a new season with it.

Favorite Trail:   Island Lake "Yellow"

Purchased At:   Two Wheel Tango, Ann

Similar Products Used:   This was my first mountain bike and am very glad I made the investment.

Bike Setup:   Stock, except replaced the original seat with a wider gel.

Submitted by Bubbles a Weekend Warrior from Middleton, WI

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2005

Strengths:    This bike fit me perfectly. I tried many Trek bikes but noe of them were nearly as comfortable.

Bottom Line:
I also have a long torso but am only 5'5" and this bike tested better than anything that I tried. More comfortable and shifts smoother than others. Ladies- don't be afraid to to try out a high end women's bike - it is worth the $$ - it makes me want to get out and ride!

Purchased At:   Trek store

Similar Products Used:   Trek - the salesperson brought out bikes with different frame sizes (even some Trek womens) and this fit best. This beats my 15 yr old hybird anyday!

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by lisa a Weekend Warrior from charlotte, nc, usa

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2004

Strengths:    frame size, geometry, women-centric components

Bottom Line:
this bike is a STEAL for the money! i've got short legs and a long torso and this frame fits me perfectly. this bike is solid i bought it because the manufacturer actually took the time to specialize it for a woman.

Favorite Trail:   lake norman state park

Purchased At:   bicycle sport

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher hoo-koo-e-koo

Bike Setup:   stock with shimano clipless pedals

Submitted by Erin a Cross Country Rider from Haliburton, Ontario

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2004

Strengths:    everything is great so far; great frame; very comfortable ride; built for women - great concept

Weaknesses:    disc brakes would have been nice

Bottom Line:
I researched A LOT before finally buying this bike. My small build is a reason I chose to buy a woman specific bike. I asked for a lot of input from people who have raced, ride regularily or work in bike shops - this and the Norco bigfoot were the two it came down to. I liked the feel of this bike better. However, I think I may have gotten a little ripped on the price.

Purchased At:   Pedal Performance in Pickering

Similar Products Used:   this is my first mountain bike purchase; I'm very pleased with my choice

Submitted by karin boucher a Cross Country Rider from gilchrist or

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2004

Strengths:    components, seat, very women friendly shorter handlebars great frame for female. Nice job Gary.

Weaknesses:    I am light and so my shocks are set at 0psi not sure if no air pressure makes a difference I can' tell.

Bottom Line:
My first bike with front suspension and good components. I love this bike and it has encouraged me to ride more and more. Much more comfortable than my nishiki and lighter.

Favorite Trail:   crescent lake

Purchased At:   Pine Mountain sports

Similar Products Used:   Rocky mountain, specialized,

Bike Setup:   stock

Sell my 03 Tassajara GS for Costco Northfork XCR?

I got a used 03 Tassajara recently for $200. Only things needed changing was the front tube. The shifter seems out of tune as well since I need to push it waaaaay back just to change a gear...that or I have short thumbs. Am thinking of selling it for same price or lower and getting one from Costco i ... Read More »

which bike should i get Tassajara GS or Piranha?

Bike Make: 2007 Gary Fisher Bike Model: Piranha Size: Medium 17.5in Seat Tube C-T: 17.5inches (about 45cm) Top Tube C-C: 58cm actual 60cm effective Standover Height: 29.0 inches Tubing Material: Gold Series Aluminum Wheel Spacing: 135mm rear 100mm front Dropouts: Vertical w/ ... Read More »

GF Marlin GS or Tassajara Disc GS

This will be my first mountain bike and am leaning towards the cheaper Marlin GS unless somebody can justify spending the extra $$$ on the Tassajara Disc GS. I won't be doing technical stuff or jumps or drops and I won't be riding in very muddy conditions (too much of a girl to get dirty )Read More »

GF Marlin GS or Tassajara Disc GS

This will be my first mountain bike and am leaning towards the cheaper Marlin GS unless somebody can justify spending the extra $$$ on the Tassajara Disc GS. I won't be doing technical stuff or jumps or drops and I won't be riding in very muddy conditions (too much of a girl to get dirty:) )Read More »

Tassajara GS