Gary Fisher Marlin Disc GS XC Hardtail

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

• Frame: Gold Series 6061 T6 aluminum, Genesisters G2 Geometry, butted and hydroformed tubing, cold-forged dropouts & BB
  • Wheels: Shimano M475 hubs, Bontrager Ranger disc rims, Bontrager Jones XR tires
  • Componentry: Shimano Deore front derailleur, Shimano Deore M592 Shadow rear derailleur, Shimano Deore shifters, Shimano FC-M442 crank, Avid BB5 mechanical disc brakes
  • Suspension: RockShox Dart 3, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 46mm offset crown

Submitted by Jennifer a Weekend Warrior from Ellicott City, MD

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2008

Bottom Line:
This is my first mountain bike and I love it! I have had no problems riding trails at Patapsco State Park and Rockburn in Maryland. I highly recommend this bike. I also highly recommend Revolution Cycles in Georgetown, DC and Rockville, MD.

Purchased At:   Revolution Cycles- Georgetown, DC

Submitted by Katy a Weekend Warrior from Burlington, KY

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2007

Strengths:    Geometry, Deore shifting

Weaknesses:    Could use more aggressive tires, Handle bar grips are rough on the hands, Saddle

Bottom Line:
I'm new to the mountain biking world and was told this would be a great beginner bike. I absolutely LOVE my bike. It handles like a dream. I think it's the geometry that works so well for me. The bike is very sturdy and feel it can handle anything I throw at it. As for the weaknesses, I think the tires could be more aggressive. I ride exclusively off road and on a few occasions felt the tires could be better. However, not bad enough for me to replace until they wear out. I think the saddle is painful but my husband as the non gs bike and says it's fine. I'll eventually swap it out. Bottom line...I'm sold on the geometry and look forward to my next ride!

Favorite Trail:   Capital Park

Purchased At:   Team Cycling and Fitness

Bike Setup:   As it was purchased

Submitted by Dirt Devil a Weekend Warrior from San Juan, Puerto Rico

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2006

Strengths:    Genesis Design and WSD Geometry.

Weaknesses:    Spokes, paited and chip easily.

The chainrings wear quickly.

Bottom Line:
Got this bike for my son and loves it, the WSD geometry fits smaller riders really well.

Favorite Trail:   Las Minas, Aguadilla, PR

Purchased At:   Ciclomundo Guaynabo

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Octane

Bike Setup:   XS (13") frame, Manitou Axel 100mm fork, Maxm handlebar, Titec stem, Camino rims with SRAM 9.0 hubs, Sette saddle w Ti rails, Race Face seatpost, Shimano 858 pedals, Shimano/Bontrager drivetrain, Deore disk brakes, ODI lock ons.

GF Marlin GS or Tassajara Disc GS

This will be my first mountain bike and am leaning towards the cheaper Marlin GS unless somebody can justify spending the extra $$$ on the Tassajara Disc GS. I won't be doing technical stuff or jumps or drops and I won't be riding in very muddy conditions (too much of a girl to get dirty )Read More »

GF Marlin GS or Tassajara Disc GS

This will be my first mountain bike and am leaning towards the cheaper Marlin GS unless somebody can justify spending the extra $$$ on the Tassajara Disc GS. I won't be doing technical stuff or jumps or drops and I won't be riding in very muddy conditions (too much of a girl to get dirty:) )Read More »