Gary Fisher Mako XC Hardtail

• Frame: Fisher Silver Series 6061 T6 aluminum
  • Wheels: Formula FM31 hubs, Bontrager 550 rims, Bontrager LT3 tires
  • Componentry: Shimano FD-C050 front derailleur, Shimano RD-TX51 rear derailleur, Shimano ST-EF50L 7spd shifters, Shimano FC-M151 crank, Tektro 845AL linear pull brakes
  • Suspension: SR Suntour M-2025, 63mm travel

Submitted by Marc Simmons a Weekend Warrior from Eugene, OR.USA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2012

Strengths:    Good price, looks, quality, design geometry.

Weaknesses:    Entry-level components.

Bottom Line:
Several folks have indicated they believe this bike doesn't rate as a true mountain bike. With all due respect, I beg to differ. After two years of extensive riding on trails in the Oregon woods, my bike is still in great condition. The few things that have broken or worn out are attributable to my negligence or normal wear-and-tear. I routinely take this bike on 20+ mile trips, and often on "black diamond" rated trails. I don't jump the bike, but I do ride it roughly and I weigh nearly 200lbs. Overall, I don't think you could expect better performance without spending a lot more money.

Favorite Trail:   Eula Ridge

Purchased At:   Paul's

Similar Products Used:   Bridgestone MB-5

Submitted by Topher a Racer from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2011

Strengths:    1) Cheap
2) Cheap, oh I said that!
3) Reliable

Weaknesses:    1) Headset rake
2) Mass produced wheels
3) Hub strength

Bottom Line:
Look, for the money it's a good buy.

I used to ride hard back in the day. 200-300 mile weeks were the norm on my road bike. I'm 6'2 and 215 lbs. and did not want to sit on a 700cc tire until I got stronger. This has a 26 x 2" wheel that gives me good security on hard roads in California. I ride with guys younger (47) and I still work guys on $2,000 road bikes. The old saying is true, it's the engine and not the bike! I use this bike as my road bike! I will change a couple things like the headset and the cranks but not going to go out and dump $2-5k on a bike, yet! I have ridden this particular bike 996 miles in the last 4 months and climbed nearly 53,000 feet and never had a problem. I have top end speed this bike at 47 miles an hour and am still here to write this.

Since writing this, GF does not make this bike in this state, but I recommend Gary Fisher Bikes to all!

Favorite Trail:   Turnbull

Purchased At:   Used off a guy getti

Similar Products Used:   All

Bike Setup:   Decent

Submitted by bapfreak a Weekend Warrior from Reno, NV, United States

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2009

Strengths:    Frame, Relative Quality, Economy, Shifters are decent, and derailleurs seem OK.

Weaknesses:    Crank and Pedals are terrible. Tubes are ultra-thin cheap pieces of junk that should be thrown out as soon as the bike is purchased ( As with most new bicycles ). The bike is kinda heavy.

Bottom Line:
The version of the bike I bought with a solid fork is no longer listed on the Gary Fisher website. I bought this bike because I needed transportation and didn't want a 2nd car payment. The crank on this bike is terrible and broke in a few months. The new crank is awesome, but it cost me $250, almost as much as the entire bike. This bike is a decent value, but considering the crank problem I can't recommend it. It would be better to save up more money and get a few models up. The internet says the bike is aluminum, but it feels heavy like steel to me. It could be a low grade aluminum, but it just seems to heavy to really be a high quality aluminum; maybe I'm just ignorant? If it weren't for the crank it would be an awesome value bike. Perhaps if this bike were rode on occasion the crank would survive. Maybe its my fault for riding this bike as if it were a street bike, but I don't think so.

Bottom line, unless you have an amazing deal just pass this one up.

Purchased At:   College Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Giant, etc

Bike Setup:   Shuigoro crank. New pedals. Bontrager pierce resistant tires. New rear wheel.

Submitted by fisher4lifeSnj a Racer from south jersey

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2008

Strengths:    nothing broke since i bought it

lol i back gary 100% on his frames

Weaknesses:    again nothing broke and im not easy on anything

dont buy a less expensive bike and expect it to perform like a 7 thousand bike

Bottom Line:
i ride almost everyday, alot of miles no check up(MY BAD) had some chain suck a couple times but thats because peddlin hard and shifting..bottom line, I BEAT THE CRAP OUTTA THIS BIKE AND IT HASNT STOPD YET

i give it a very good rating for what the bikes dudes said i can do . and what i get away with

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   eshers 4 life cherry

Similar Products Used:   nothing really i had a couple no name bikes i put together when i was younger

Bike Setup:   stock but id like 2 get the forks w shocks on em

Submitted by Louis Wilner a Weekend Warrior from shawnee Ks USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2007

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    entry level components

Bottom Line:
There were two bikes under $300 that stood out in my area, the Gary Fisher Mako, and the Giant Boulder. I wanted a hardtail to get back in shape after my heart attack, so I chose the Mako.
After the initial break in and adjustments the bike is still keeping up with me...100 miles a week.

I occasionally get some "chain suck"
Shifts are still smooth and accurate
some sound from the RIVETED CHAINRINGS
some sound from the headset on hard braking

good entry level

Favorite Trail:   Overland Park

Similar Products Used:   Trek Giant

Bike Setup:   computer, clipless pedals, medium bar ends

Submitted by Louis wilner a Weekend Warrior from shawnee KS Usa

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2007

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    componets & chain stay location

Bottom Line:
I did alot shopping in my area, and the 2 that stood out under 300 were the giant "boulder" and the Gary Fisher "Mako". I didnt want a bike w/shocks so I chose the Mako.

Standing up on climbs is a bit akward for me (before buying try all positions)

I have had some "Chain suck" the chinstay could be offset (I plan on pounding on it when I upgrade front chain rings)

the components perform like entry level, but still perform.

I was on a budget and needed to get in shape after my heart attack. I have put at least 300 miles on it and enjoy the bike. The very few problems I have had are expected and tolerated with an bike under 300. The store I got it from was helpful.

Favorite Trail:   overlandpark

Similar Products Used:   trek 830

Bike Setup:   stock w/ toe straps and medium bar ends

Submitted by Curt Smith a Weekend Warrior from Morristown Tenn. USA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2007

Strengths:    Light frame, some decent components and the weak components are cheap to replace.Simple but dependable V-Brakes. This is a great bike for less than $300 bucks!

Weaknesses:    Low-end Shimano parts are delicate. The '07 was advertised with the 42/34/24 chainrings, mine has the 48/38/28. The stem was not welded properly. Headset is very cheap compared to previous years of this bike.

Bottom Line:
This is not a "Mountain" bike by today's standards but it is an "All-terrain" bike in every way. As far as rigid bikes go, this is the best value for a good quality bike. Park trails and city paths are perfect for it. Learn how to maintain the drive-train and the Tourney components will do just fine. I do suggest replacing the stock pedals and headset. This could also make a nice Single Speed (my plan).

Favorite Trail:   Panther Creek

Purchased At:   Pedal Shop

Similar Products Used:   Older Trek 800 series aluminum, Trek 3700 in rigid form.

Bike Setup:   Stock with the usual bottle bracket and tool pouch.

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from State College, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2007

Strengths:    Great value, durable, solid components, nice frame

Weaknesses:    Not for the hard core Mountain biker, more a rails to trails/gravel road bike.

Bottom Line:
I have thus far owned the bike one year nine and a half months and have ridden it nearly every weekend minus the Winter months and have never had a problem with the bike. I have logged over 1300 miles on this bike and generally ride 25-35 miles on a weekend day then another 5-10 through the week and the bike runs like a top. I did follow my local bike shop's instructions and after the first 20 hour break-in I received cable and break adjustments, then after the first year I had a tune-up which primed the bike for another summer of riding, this is all the maintenance that was performed. If I had a complaint it would only be that the saddle gets a bit uncomfortable after about the two and a half hour mark but I suspect most do by then.

Favorite Trail:   Lower Trail

Submitted by Jason Lee a Weekend Warrior from Kirkland, WA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2007

Strengths:    Great Value, Light Weight, Sturdy

Weaknesses:    It's basic

Bottom Line:
Don't listen to these other reviews. Most of the people who post are those who complain. But I'm writing to let you know that for what you pay, you'll get something decent. I've looked at bikes under $300 and this was the best one. I had no problems with any of the parts, the bike has an aluminium frame and lacks shocks so its great for a light ride.

For a casual ride or for commuting to school or work it's great. Just don't expect a thousand dollar bike while paying a quarter of that.

Submitted by Louis Wilner a Weekend Warrior from Shawnee KS USA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2007

Strengths:    light light light!!!! and good looks! I get complements on it all the time. Im 5'8" and 230lbs and this bike is helping me get back to 185lbs

Weaknesses:    haven't had it in for the 30 day check up(next week) but this is what I'll tell them:

chain skipped a couple times, (chain suck)chain gets stuck between chain stay and largest chain ring when shifting gears (sometimes), noise from crank only on 2nd chain ring, dropping gear to (front 2nd to first) hangs sometimes. A bit on the noisy side.

Bottom Line:
the price is great!!!
still breaking it in, will see after the 30 day check up.
I wanted a hard tail...I can sure feel the road.

These are all things I can deal with for an entry level bike. I ride 3-5 times a week 2-10 miles a trip.

Favorite Trail:   overland park

Purchased At:   trek store

Similar Products Used:   I had a trek 830 in my teens and it was a dream It didn't need any service except for a slightly bent rim(4yrs)...I sold it during a moment of broke stupidity and I am still kicking my self.

Bike Setup:   stock shimano components
medium bar ends
toe straps (clips soon)
dual bottle cages
(thinking about street tires, and component upgrades)

Submitted by a Cross Country Rider from Dallas

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2006

Strengths:    If you switch out the rigid fork for an 80mm you end up with geometry similar to modern slack XC from Commencal and Kona, but with a 1cm shorter chain stay - plan.

Weaknesses:    Threaded headset, 7 speed hub, seat too soft, low BB with stock fork.

Bottom Line:
The front deraileur for this bike may weigh as much as the frame. The frame is good. With the changes above and a light front wheel my scale says 23.5 lbs. That is with the stock rigid fork, stock steel bars and inexpensive threaded headset.

Who should buy this bike for the bike - People who want a smooth surface commuter with a lifetime frame warrantee.

Who should buy this bike for the frame - People who: like V-brakes, will not be satisfied with the suspension forks found on sub $1000 bikes, don't want genesis geometry, have light V-brake wheels that need a home.

Who should not buy this bike for the bike - People who have had problems with drivetrain flex.

Who should not buy this bike for the frame - people who need 100mm of travel.
Rating is for the frame from this $240 complete bike.

Bike Setup:   Single speed using Cambria Real Design hub on Ritchey OCR rim. e-13 34t to wtb 16 cog. M580 cranks, wtb seat, used XTR front hub on light $15 sun rim... FR-5 levers

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Columbia

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2006

Strengths:    Frame is fine and fits well.

Weaknesses:    Components

Bottom Line:
Owned one week and already in the shop with chain and gear problems. I have had Specialized and Trek entry models with no problems. The shifters are awful and I basically have one gear. The frame is the only redeeming quality about the bike. I bike mostly city with some light trails. Given that the chain pops off on the street with gear change (multiple times), I wouldn't want to see what happens on a trail. Hopefully I get a refund or a good trade in. I wouldn't recommend this bike to anyone. I would say pay the extra $100 and get something different. I was very disappointed because I thought Fisher was a good brand.

Favorite Trail:   Urban Street