Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo XC Hardtail

4.48/5 (25 Reviews)

• Frame: Platinum Series 6061 T6 aluminum, G2 Geometry, butted and hydroformed tubing, cold-forged dropouts & BB
  • Wheels: Shimano M525 hubs, Bontrager SSR disc rims, Bontrager XDX tires
  • Componentry: SRAM X.7 front derailleur, SRAM X.9 rear derailleur, SRAM X.7 shifters, Shimano FC-M521 crank, Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes
  • Suspension: RockShox Recon SL, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 46mm offset crown

Submitted by flax a Cross Country Rider from Spain

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2011

Strengths:    Uphill never was so easy, even in difficult, technical tracks. You'll love uphills.

Weaknesses:    It's not a bike for racing in plain terrain (fatty), it also dislikes short turns and downhill.

Bottom Line:
Recommended for beginners.

Favorite Trail:   Water's route

Similar Products Used:   Cube reaction pro

Bike Setup:   Saddle fi'zik gobi xm, continental tires. Next crankset XT

Submitted by Shortbusandahelmit a Weekend Warrior from Grand Rapids, MI, US

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2010

Strengths:    This bike is aggressive, and it can take a beating!!! I weigh 215lbs, I lift weights, and I use to free style and ride full suspension, but had to go back to the hardtail. This bike is beefy yet lightweight. The metal thumb shifters are a lot stronger than plastic, very nice. Avid Juicy... what can I say, SICK SICK SICK. I Love this bike!!!

Weaknesses:    It does not have a motor!?!?!

Bottom Line:
I got last years model, 2009, and save some $$$.
Gloss Root Beer Brown, badest bike in town!

Favorite Trail:   Cannonsburg Ski park

Purchased At:   Kentwood Schwinn

Similar Products Used:   Haro full suspension, Cannondale Hardtail

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Wesleypipesyo a Weekend Warrior from Edgewater, MD USA

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2010

Strengths:    Very light
Durable rims
Great base level components

Weaknesses:    The seat seems to be the biggest issue. It is very hard and It does not lock in place

Bottom Line:
This is my second year of MTN biking. I am not an expert by any means. Last year I bought a Trek 3700 just to see if I would like it. At 350 bucks, I thought it was pretty steep. The bike lasted me about a month before I started to break stuff. In 4 months I went through 4 rims, 2 rear derailers, and a couple other items.

I went to my LBS and talked to a buddy. He suggested a 2009 (The previous year's model) to help me save a few bucks. This bike is strong. After about a month of riding 3-4 times a week the bike works just as well as the first ride. I have a little issue with the rear gear set shift on me in the lower gears. But a tune up will help that. The seat is not great. But the bike is better than I could have hoped for.

I am not sure what I would be, a weekend warrior or XC or downhill or anything. I just like to ride.

Bottom line:

Worth every penny.

Favorite Trail:   Cascade Falls, Patapsco St Park

Purchased At:   Bike Doctor, Annapol

Similar Products Used:   2008 Trek 3700 (not really the same)

Bike Setup:   Stock save for the two bike tubes. I have popped a couple of them.

Submitted by 23samurai a Cross Country Rider from phoenix az

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2010

Strengths:    Everything is well designed on this great bike. Love the frame, love the X9 sram system. Much better than the shimano that i've used. shimano has given me nothing but heartache, uneven shifts, requires frequent tuneups..etc... Juicy 3 hydraulic brakes work perfectly for me. Love the relative lightweight frame

Bottom Line:
For the price, you really can't get more bike for your money. You can't Love it. You have to ride one of these to see what i'm talking about.

Similar Products Used:   gt, trek, giant, cannondale

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by shredbetty a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent geometry, stiff frame, responsive, stable, loves to climb and descend, rugged, reliable, easily upgradable, cool colour.

Weaknesses:    OEM components could be better (especially the front shocks and shifters). No longer available in chromoly, newer models are aluminum... don't like it, too stiff and dead/cold/unresponsive.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this bike for 10 years. Got it on super after season discount from College Cyclery in Reno, and a colour discount (neon lime green, which frankly I think is totally cool... way more personality than navy blue and white). This big has gone through mountain, XC, and snow riding in NV, ID, MT, WY, WI, and now CA. Even taken it on a 1/2 century or two! It serves well as my all season commuter (I ride along the river trail through Sacramento and always take the off-road trail options for my 9.5mi commute). It doesn't shy away from climbing, actually makes it fun, actually. Descending is a dream. I know they changes the material and components over the years, but the gary fisher geometry cannot be beaten. If you can get your hands on an older one in good shape, it will be worth it.

Favorite Trail:   Pine Nuts, NV

Purchased At:   Reno Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, GT.

Bike Setup:   Old school HooKoo (1998), XT everything, Sun Rhino Lite rims, Ritchie Overbites, Real chain rings (48, 36, 24).

Submitted by msr.daniel a Cross Country Rider from Lombard, IL

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2009

Strengths:    This bike is amazing! I am greatly impressed with the quality of the bike and components. I have never had a SRAM drive train setup before, but it is easy to get used to. The Avid Juicy 3's are also great. On top of that, the bike is pretty light; I believe it weights about 27 pounds. Really awesome.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a great higher end mountain bike, you can't go wrong with buying this one. This is my first Trek/Gary Fisher bike and definitely not the last!

Similar Products Used:   None, this is my first higher end mountain bike

Bike Setup:   Juicy 3 brakes, sram shifters and derailleurs, Rock Shox Recon fork (coil) and bontrager wheels, as well as handlebar, stem, etc.

Submitted by trail-rider a Cross Country Rider from SoCal

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2009

Strengths:    Very solid bike for the price

Weaknesses:    Promax brakeset, a little heavy compared to a more current hardtail

Bottom Line:
I've ridden this bike fairly hard without any problems. The frame geometry is slightly dated but very comfortable. The paint-job looks great and the stock components are very decent. Mine weighs in at about 29lbs. with pedals in a 17.5". I would definitely recommend this bike to someone interested in riding at an intermediate level. If I had the $$ I'd definitely look at getting another (more recent) HKEK.

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Topanga Comp

Bike Setup:   Stock '02 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Speedplay Frogs, SMP Evolution seat

Submitted by Don2000g a Cross Country Rider from Edinburg

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2009

Strengths:    I've owned this bike for about 9 months and I have been absolutely pleased with this bike. The first thing that attracted me to the bike was the cool blue color that was somewhat in between a matte and glossy look. The HKEK is pretty lightweight and allows me to corner very well, ride fast and still gives me that feeling that I'm always in control. This bike is just fast and I can't think of a better bike in this price range. Its tough, I've put some hard abuse on it and its holding up very well with no service issues at all.

Weaknesses:    The juicy 3s require some time to fully bunction at its best. I ended up just upgrading to some juicy 5s that I found on sale for $90 and this has been a winning formula for me.

Bottom Line:
Best bike for the money. It takes whatever you throw at it. Lightweigh, tough, and FAST......

Favorite Trail:   The one I ride

Purchased At:   Bike Barn

Similar Products Used:   Various Specialized, Trek, GT, Ralleigh, Fuji and other Gary Fisher bikes that range in price from $500 to $1200. The Hoo Koo E. Koo is easily my favorite.

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock for the exception of Juicy 5 brakes and a Fox Talas 140 fork. Sweet!!!!!!

Submitted by LandonXC a Cross Country Rider from Overland Park, KS

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2008

Strengths:    Very stable, Climbs well.

Weaknesses:    SPD 505 pedals, Loud Juicy Threes (fixed with Hayes rotors), Jones tires wore out very quick.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. The loud brakes were an issue but it seems like the Hayes rotors fixed that problem. I love the SRAM components. I couldn't find an XL frame anywhere (not even the Trek store) and I was told multiple time I would have to wait for a 2009 but Bob at Biscari Brothers tracked one down in California and I had it within a week.

Favorite Trail:   SMP is my home trail.

Purchased At:   Biscari Brothers on

Bike Setup:   Stock 2008 w/ MTB MotoRaptors

Submitted by MtbikingRob in Nebraska a Cross Country Rider from Lincoln, NE, USA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, decent components, LX shifter work better then some XT's I have used, Juicy Hydro brakes stop on a dime

Weaknesses:    Bontrager grips are worthless, saddle is hard and heavy

Bottom Line:
This is the fourth bike I have now added to my "collection" and I have to say had I not just purchased an 08 Kona Kula for racing this would be my new race bike. It corners like it is on rails, climbs like a mountain goat and flies on the downhills. Components are good for entry level to intermediate racing, the LX shifters were surprisingly smooth shifting with none of the Ghosting I often get with even the Shimano XT drive trains (would still switch to SRAM). The biggest surprise came from the new Jones tires on this bike, they are vastly superior to the Jones tires of even two years ago (not even worth the rubber used to make them)the new Jones had a front and rear specific tire and performed better then expected in both loose sand/dirt and climbing something that was always and adventure with the old Jones. All in all if you can find one of these sitting around in your local bike shop that is last years model you can get a hell of a bike for a steal.

Favorite Trail:   Platte River State Park

Purchased At:   Bike Rack

Similar Products Used:   Kona Kula, Trek 4300

Bike Setup:   Pretty stock right now.

Submitted by jadan_mtb a Cross Country Rider from Tampa, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2008

Strengths:    Good Spec for the price. Great bike to learn on. Lightweight frame.

Weaknesses:    Not strong enough for tall clyde rider. Some of the bolts are rust-prone.

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike to get into racing. It was a little higher than my budget, but I wanted to have something that would last and keep me challenged. I have not been disappointed.

I am 6'5" and 220 lbs, and I got the 21" frame. This means that I keep the seatpost cranked just south of the atmosphere, this means that my saddle is about 2 inches above the handlebars (very "racy"), and I cracked my frame at the seatpost after about 6 mos. of owning the bike. If you are a taller and heavier than the average man, I would get a 410 mm Thompson seatpost installed before you start doing any serious riding (I haven't had any problems since this upgrade).

Within the first month, my shop had to replace the stock shimano pedals. There was some kind of problem with the tensioning, and I had a really hard time unclipping. They put new pedals, and I haven't experience this problem since.

After 9 months, I had to replace the headset.

The most irritating problem I had was with the Bongrager wheels. Spokes started breaking on the rear wheel on the non-drive side at the nipple. Each time I would take the wheel back, and they would replace and retension the spokes. Finally, they replaced the whole wheel. This still did not fix the problem. I bought a new wheelset and used the Bontragers as my "road wheels" thinking that smoother terrain would help me avoid the problem. Not so, I am still breaking spokes. I don't know if this will change for '09, but it was definitely an issue for me until I upgraded the wheels.

All in all, I am really happy with my bike. I understand that I am taller and heavier than most, and I knew going in that I would be harder on equipment. I will be upgrading my stable soon with a full susser, and my Gary Fisher will become my commuter.

Favorite Trail:   Alafia, Boyette

Similar Products Used:   Nothing Similar

Bike Setup:   2008 Hoo Koo E Koo Frame (replaced after cracked with Big Sur frame), X.9 Rear, X.7 Front, X.7 Shifters, Shimano Octalink Crank, DT Swiss / Laserdisc Wheels (Updated from OEM), Thompson Seatpost (Updated from OEM), Cane Creek Aheadset (Replaced), WTB Pure V saddle (Updated from OEM), Shimano 540 pedals (Updated/Replaced), Avid Juicy 3 Disc, Ergon Grips (Updated from OEM), Specialized Fast Trak LK (Updated from OEM)

Submitted by daniel venezzio a Weekend Warrior from belmar nj usa

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2008

Strengths:    light, handles well, fast(great acceleration w lil effort!)strong frame, gf geometry(awesome)-handlebars feel too close on other brands, componetry- avid juicy 3 brakes, good overall value, the 08 has alot of upgrades over my 07 that r really nice

Weaknesses:    not many! but i got three flat tires the first two weeks. had to get plastic barrier between tube and tire. quick cheap fix and under ten mins and only adds few grams to wieght. the shifters have a cheap plasticty gauge to show what gear your in, this thing was the first(and only so far!)thing to break. it cracked while loading into my truck 1st day! i was able to remove them with just 2 alan wrenches and about 10 mins. didnt like the shifter reset (push lever too hard and you go down to 1st gear) but i got used too it. now it feels fine.

Bottom Line:
this bike is great, every time i look at it i smile. im 32 now and hadnt been on a bike since i was a kid. but now all i can think of is hittin the trails and gettin air. i couldnt be happier with the bike.

the bike is built well and can handle what ever you throw at it . (i wouldnt recomend xtreme freeriding) but it can handle drops jumps moguls...it handles tight and is very responsive. i read a review that some dude cracked the frame jumpin off a curb- CRAZY! either the frame was defective, the dudes a liar or he works for specialized.

i tested a lot of bikes in its class and did a lot of research. the hkek is as good or better than all in its class. what set it apart for me was the gf geometry. it was the only one that didnt feel claustraphobic, in other words the handle bars werent too close too my chest. it was the perfect length for my arms. the second i got on it i knew i was sold. it also has great componetry and the frame is good to upgrade on.

bottomline if you want a competitive hardtail and have a grand then i highly recomend this bike. now if i could jus learn to spell.....

Favorite Trail:   starflyr@optonline.net

Purchased At:   ski barn

Similar Products Used:   tested the rockhopper pro, gt av 1, trek 6500, felt 650, jamis dakota, cannondale f1

Bike Setup:   bike is stock the 07 setup maintou sliver fork

Submitted by Vermin from Pinckney, Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2008

Strengths:    Performed quite well with a newbie at the tiller. Nothing has broken.

Weaknesses:    The right hand thumb lever thingy gets stiff now and then so I clean the cable and it gets less stiff. It is still stiffer no matter what than my buddies much cheaper GF Piranha.

Bottom Line:
I was horribly depressed after a preview of my own mortality during a uncomfortable heart situation. A extreme moron buddy of mine forced me to go do a local single track on my diamond back city cruiser. I had so much fun I went out and bought the HKEK. It has resurected me I don't give a crap about equipment all I know is this bike has given me no grief and tons of fun. Ride on!!!!!!! Oh I forgot it turns real good and the blood washes off the paint real good. Blood thinners make the subdermal hematommas ultra massive and muy psychodelic. Gary Fisher Rocks.

Favorite Trail:   potowatami

Purchased At:   D & D

Similar Products Used:   I have never used a similar product. I am a middle aged moron that has come into mountain biking lately because it makes me feel 12 again.

Bike Setup:   Probably unless I go tumbling through the miscellaneous shrubbery on the singletrack near my house then it laysdown.

Submitted by Richard a Weekend Warrior from Lawrence, KS

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2007

Weaknesses:    None now.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to the last couple of reviews I've made.

I took my bike in to the place of purchase to have the headset checked out. The owner said it was loose and tightened it. The next time I rode it the metal tink came back, plus, the bottom bracket started creaking and making noises under load. So, I took it back a second time and the owner said, "We'll pull the headset and bottom bracket and look at them." I picked the bike up after their so called take it apart and look at it inspection and the first time I rode it, all the same noises where there. Gee, do you think the mechanics really took it apart and looked at it? I doubt it.

Anyway, I bought a new Chris King headset and a new 2008 Deore XT B/B and Crank arms w/chain rings and had Sunflower bikes in Lawrence, KS replace them. The headset had corrosion build up on it and could have been fixed if pulled out and cleaned up. No biggy I wanted the Chris King anyway. The B/B was loose and needed grease and is still good, but I wanted the XT set up as well.

My hats off to Adam and his technicians at Sunflower for going the extra mile on my bike. They replaced my front and rear derailleur cables and housings, stretched the cables and dialed in the shifting like it should have been from the beginning at no charge. Stellar Job guys and girl (Girly babe installed my headset with ease).

Now, the bike shifts like the XT's that I heard everyone ooo'n and ahh'n about. The new XT B/B is excellent to look at and compliments the shifting very well. I opted for 170mm instead of staying with the 175mm crank arms just for a little more clearance on the trail. The headset was a subtle change, but noticeable enough when twisting the handlebars from side to side in the switch backs. The CK was a good investment indeed. The bike is excellent as is, FINALLY!

Evan at Bike America is still the Sales Rep to do business with, but I won't be coming back for maintenance on my bike. Sorry guys, Sunflower went the extra mile to prove their competence and won my vote with their customer service.

After all of the component upgrades and with the proper maintenance, this bike is an excellent ride. Max Chili Peppers for the bike now, but not stock.

Bike Setup:   XT front & rear derailleurs, Deore XT bottom bracket/crank arms/chain rings, ZR9000 frame, Kenda Karma Tires, Chris King headset and Odessey peddles

Submitted by Phillip Van Horn a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2007

Strengths:    Great hardtail mountain bike. Fork couldn't be better when set up the way you like it. Really forgiving and absorbing of any blow your bike will take. The rims are very nice. Frame is very light. Hayes brake are top of the line. Great for helping you in any situation you get yourself into. Very comfortable to ride and very well made.

Weaknesses:    The tires that come stock are not very good. I liked the width of the tires that came stock but the tread pattern and grip was very bad. Replaced with a Michelin All Mountain tire that was a 26X2.35. Works a lot better. The grips that come stock are very uncomfortable. Not very much padding to protect your hands from blisters. Changed to the Specialized Enduro grips that were much better more padding and much protection from blisters. Haven't got another blister since I put them on the bike.

Bottom Line:
This bike is the best hardtail out on the market. I rode the specialized hardtail before i bought the Gary Fisher and the Gary Fisher was a much better ride. The brakes fork frame and everything else is much better than everything about the Specialized. The wheels spin smoothly and the bike will go as fast as any other bike on the market.

Favorite Trail:   Black Diamond Log Bridge