Gary Fisher Dual Sport 229 XC Hardtail

3.33/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by Lemlux a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, Ca

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2011

Strengths:    In 2004 bike was best choice of limited 29er options. Frame was strong and components worked for me. $700 less than 129 model with upgrading opportunities.

Weaknesses:    front V brake prone to lock-up. No rear disc brake mounting braze-ons. 20 spoke front wheels and 24 spoke rear wheels inadequate for 250# me. Manitou South 75mm shocks too soft but don't bottom out on moderate surfaces. Shock stanchion must be ground down to permit use of 185mm rotor. Original tires initially were quickly replaced with Specialized Armadillo Crossroads 38mm to stand up to goatheads before wider options became available.

Bottom Line:
Current setup provides much more comfortable semi-upright position for 20-30 mile rides. Brake modulation with 185 mm BB7 in front is vastly improved. Wider replacement tires and rims with 32 spokes a vast improvement for reliability, stability, and comfort.

Favorite Trail:   San Luis Rey River Trail

Purchased At:   Black Mountain Cycle

Bike Setup:   185mm Avid BB7 front disc. Thudbuster LT seat post. Specialized Expedition Saddle. Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 622 x 2.00" rear tire on 32 spoke 24mm rim and WTB 622 x 2.3" Exiwolf on 622 x 35mm 32 spoke Salsa Gordo front rim. Cane Creek Ergo Bar Ends on Electra Townie handlebars.

Submitted by J Jay a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2004

Strengths:    lightweight, 29" wheels, for flat trails and city ride it is great, it's fast and the larger wheels roll over obstacles with ease.

Weaknesses:    for a hybrid, it could use a friendlier seat, more cushion. the shimano pedals 1side plastic platform, 1side clip, would prefer a set of crank bros mallets

Bottom Line:
Daily city rider 10+ miles, havent had anything break/bend, just some slight adjustments. I once thought I was going to eat it going head on with the curb, but the 29s took the hit and rolled over. Wheel remained true. Overall it's a nice daily rider. I've put about 3000 miles on it in the first year.

Favorite Trail:   city streets

Purchased At:   Adventure Bicycle Co.

Bike Setup:   fisher 229 19", serfas rx seat, bontrager superstock 29 wheelset (replaced due to theft), michelin transworld city 700 x 40.

Submitted by Rich Benham a Cross Country Rider from Silver Spring MD

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2004

Strengths:    As the other reviewers noticed, the bike in brief, is nice light and fast, the 29 “ wheels provide roll-over stability and over all comfort over a ride.

Weaknesses:    I use Sligo and Capital Crescent trail for commuting to work in DC ( about 45 miles round trip) and so far I ‘ve got 4 flat tires in a month of use. Each time I put a new tube and clean and check inside the tire which apparently didn’t help.

Bottom Line:
I like the bike. It is fast , light and very comfortable for long ride ( only reason that I still own it ), however, dealing with the tires is painful. I really don’t know what’s wrong with them, and how you can fix it ( even though I am still thinking that may be changing the tires to some thing more resistance may solve the problem)

Purchased At:   Capitol Hill Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Rock hopper- Giant XCT

Submitted by Karlo Tuominen a Weekend Warrior from Vuorentausta, Finland

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2004

Strengths:    Extremely fast in any flat environment, which is in some scale due to those 29'ers. The more faster you go, it's like the was bike begging for more whipping. And you just have to give it some...

Weaknesses:    The feel between you and the ground is kinda like you were "HIGH". It doesn't work well in any environment that requires some amount of precision or technical type of riding. Oh, and the rim brakes...

Bottom Line:
I could ramble on how the bike is the best out there for any kinda riding, but I'm not gonna. I just say that it's a great bike for the money. I'm certainly gonna stick with the 29'ers for a bike that needs to go the distance, and more. The Genesis geometry works for a guy built like myself(6 foot tall and 165 lbs riding size 19" frame). All I can really say is TRY IT OUT! (And you will love it).

Favorite Trail:   Road to Hell

Purchased At:   From a local Skinner

Similar Products Used:   Haven't used any other 29'er.

Bike Setup:   I gots meself an Shimano Deore mechanical disc to the front. :)

Submitted by Mandy Lancing a Cross Country Rider from Bethesda, MD

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2004

Strengths:    Nice tires, fast bike.

Weaknesses:    Tires and tubes are junk. Withing the first 10 miles I got 2 flats on the back tire. I replaced the tube after the first flat (not patched! replaced) and the tube blew again. I am riding on the sidewalk and there is no excuse for this.

Bottom Line:
Nice looking bike, but does no do what it is advertised to do. Not a good city bike and road bike. This bike never even made it to a trail because it is such a pain. Who has time to change 2 flats when going to work. Bike is being returned for another product, perhaps a Specialized Rock Hopper.

Favorite Trail:   Capital Cresent Trail

Purchased At:   Capitol Hill bikes

Similar Products Used:   Lotus Eclipse, Giant Cyress

Submitted by ron keulen a Cross Country Rider from netherlands

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2004

Strengths:    Fast!!, extreme fast, like a racing bike, Genesis geometry works for me

Weaknesses:    Brakes are cheap stuff, needs other tires on the trail (of course), handling is different from 26 inch bike

Bottom Line:
Cool, might work on trails to, but I will use the smallest front gear a lot(cauese I like to climb). This is a bike if you can ride the big crank wheel for setting a record time on a fairly flat trail.
Makes it name as multisport bike come true, certainly suited for the road as well. It's a oke combination and that is a better argument for this bike then for 29 MTB's, which were hardly sold in Netherlands, cause pure MTB is 26 inch Gary!!(I love my 26 inch Sugar.)

Favorite Trail:   Are Sweden